NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Gamers - What Are You Playing At The Moment?

So I'm playing through a faew games to try and clear my epic backlog... looked at what I actually have. On the 3DS ia have over 50 digital games and 20 retails games, wii u about 20 digital and 10 retail, ps3 about 10 retails, 30 digital, vita about 20 digital... I also have 20 steam games, insane amounts of iPad and iPhone games... NEVER MIND my gamecube, wii and DS games I've never caught up with.... AAAAAAAARGH!!!!

One thing that frustrates me, is that I actually really want to put more time into other games - play wii sports more, nintendoland, more retro games I've finished years ago etc...

I've said this so much but I need to change the way I buy games, I need to only buy games which look great and appeal rather than just being "a bargain!!"

Anyways. Here's what I'm playing

Hotline Miami - really loved the sty;e at first, but last night it just bored me senseless. The same thing every level... does it change and evolve or is it - here's a room, figure out how to kill everyone. That's it?! If so I'm going to stop playing it.

Rayman Jungle Run - I think this game is an lost perfect mobile game. Quick and easy to play, perfect controls, great taste of what rayman offers. This is the kind of stuff Nintendo needs to be making. But anyways, I'm levels left to perfect and then it is DONE!!

NES Remix - I think this game is just brilliant. Funny how rubbish some games are, how amazing others are, the music, the art, the stamps you get... Just a great experiences and love the bitesized approach to what are hard to engage with games. This is such a new and exciting new series for Nintendo, and must be a piece of piss too!! Hopefully finish this by the weekend

Machinarium - just started this on the PS3. Really like what I've played so far. Think I'll just dabble with it over the next few weeks/months until it's done

Guacamole - always wanted to play it - thank you psplus!! Just started, seems pretty decent, don't get the classic status yet but I'm only half an hour in

Kung Fu Rabbit - this cost a quid something in a sale a while back, and I absolutely love it. The controls are perfect - one button! It's really simple, but the levels are always fun, the visual and audio design is great; some nice weapon/abilities you get... just a lovely simple little game!!

Dr Luigi - play quite a bit of multiplayer with Dakota sometimes, and the odd bash to get the best scores. Not much to it, but really love it!!

I really love dabbling with games :) Hopefully I can wipe some of these out and focus on Donkey Kong when that turns up!

Finished Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D earlier today. Damn fine game, probably a good thing i didn't play it on the Wii at the time.

I'm also playing on the X360 Fable Anniversary. It's near-enough the same game it was back on the Xbox, but with a few differences in controls, graphics and of course a menu design. I've just done the Arena, got the custom achievement for that as well. And i swear the regions feel more "open" as it were. On the XBox, they did feel compressed but i think Lionhead may have expanded some areas.

And on the PS4, it's Tomb Raider. Again, same as it was last year in terms of controls and story. Just looks prettier.

Currently playing through Starfox Adventures as I never played it back in the day. Was not really expecting much given the general negativity that is always thrown towards the game but finding it's not too bad, tho certainly not a patch on Rare's N64 output. Also think I would rather Rare had stuck with their original concept rather than shoe horn in the Starfox brand, somehow it does seem to detract from the game as it just doesn't seem to fit.

So I'm playing through a faew games to try and clear my epic backlog... looked at what I actually have. On the 3DS ia have over 50 digital games and 20 retails games, wii u about 20 digital and 10 retail, ps3 about 10 retails, 30 digital, vita about 20 digital... I also have 20 steam games, insane amounts of iPad and iPhone games... NEVER MIND my gamecube, wii and DS games I've never caught up with.... AAAAAAAARGH!!!!

One thing that frustrates me, is that I actually really want to put more time into other games - play wii sports more, nintendoland, more retro games I've finished years ago etc...

I've said this so much but I need to change the way I buy games, I need to only buy games which look great and appeal rather than just being "a bargain!!"

Anyways. Here's what I'm playing

Hotline Miami - really loved the sty;e at first, but last night it just bored me senseless. The same thing every level... does it change and evolve or is it - here's a room, figure out how to kill everyone. That's it?! If so I'm going to stop playing it.

Rayman Jungle Run - I think this game is an lost perfect mobile game. Quick and easy to play, perfect controls, great taste of what rayman offers. This is the kind of stuff Nintendo needs to be making. But anyways, I'm levels left to perfect and then it is DONE!!

NES Remix - I think this game is just brilliant. Funny how rubbish some games are, how amazing others are, the music, the art, the stamps you get... Just a great experiences and love the bitesized approach to what are hard to engage with games. This is such a new and exciting new series for Nintendo, and must be a piece of piss too!! Hopefully finish this by the weekend

Machinarium - just started this on the PS3. Really like what I've played so far. Think I'll just dabble with it over the next few weeks/months until it's done

Guacamole - always wanted to play it - thank you psplus!! Just started, seems pretty decent, don't get the classic status yet but I'm only half an hour in

Kung Fu Rabbit - this cost a quid something in a sale a while back, and I absolutely love it. The controls are perfect - one button! It's really simple, but the levels are always fun, the visual and audio design is great; some nice weapon/abilities you get... just a lovely simple little game!!

Dr Luigi - play quite a bit of multiplayer with Dakota sometimes, and the odd bash to get the best scores. Not much to it, but really love it!!

I really love dabbling with games :) Hopefully I can wipe some of these out and focus on Donkey Kong when that turns up!

The levels get much more complex and then you have to deal with things like glass walls (so you have to plan your route much more carefully). I really enjoyed it and thought that the length was perfect (around 15 levels). Perfect blend action-puzzle game imo, but each to their own.

God Half Minute Hero is such a brilliant game! Just started a new game on it and it's just as good as I remember! :D

Easily one of the PSP's very best! (And that's saying something because that handheld ended up building a really solid library!)

Edited by Dcubed

The levels get much more complex and then you have to deal with things like glass walls (so you have to plan your route much more carefully). I really enjoyed it and thought that the length was perfect (around 15 levels). Perfect blend action-puzzle game imo, but each to their own.

15 levels, is that it? I might finish it then.

I'm really loving playing through short games.

15 levels, is that it? I might finish it then.

I'm really loving playing through short games.

Yeah that's my favourite thing about indie games, they last the perfect amount of time for me :) If a game is 20-30 hours long I just get distracted by work and other things :sad:

Colossus number six has fallen, the underground giant.

Quite liked him, climbed up his big bushy beard.

The overworld is pretty huge!!

I'm annoyed at Twilight Princess for this game having little woodlands to ride through and out the other side, just like the original TP trailer seemed to imply. Was surprised to find a lake, a vast plain and a desert area all on the other side of that!

Controls can be a bit annoying, but ah well.

Controls can be a bit annoying, but ah well.

Yeh.. the controls almost killed the entire experience for me and, as a result, I don't hold the game in as high regard as many other people :hmm:

Yeah, it's frustrating how clunky it can be.

Just did the underwater electric dragon. A pretty good ride.

At the moment I'm kinda wishing there was an extra element/dimension to the fights though, getting a bit repetitive.

Starfox Adventure's completed, overall left me feeling meh, not a bad game per se but definitely nothing special, certainly not something I see myself playing through again in the future! Now to decide what to play next from my backlog....

Starfox Adventure's completed, overall left me feeling meh, not a bad game per se but definitely nothing special, certainly not something I see myself playing through again in the future! Now to decide what to play next from my backlog....

I'm desperate to play this game again, so if you feel like selling you should let me know! Otherwise I'll just get it from CEX.

I know your comments on the game aren't exactly incredible but... I'm just feeling really nostalgic!

AND - I'm playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze! It's so much better than I thought it would be and really has that 'one more stage' feeling to it. Considering I completely hated Returns, this is a really great return to form.

Next on the list and waiting in my unplayed pile is ASS CREED Black Flag!

Even though i bought Thief over the weekend (and started it), i intend to finish playing Tomb Raider before i proceed. And that is what i've done today. Put about 5+ hours into the game, uncovering more secrets than i did the first time i played it last year on the 360. Can't really say a lot about the game that has not been said before. But my progress so far.

Heading into the Research base to find that hidden tomb containing the Sun Queen, before heading off to the final confrontation up in the mountains. About 3 or so hours to go before completion, which will be done this week.

I'm desperate to play this game again, so if you feel like selling you should let me know! Otherwise I'll just get it from CEX.

I know your comments on the game aren't exactly incredible but... I'm just feeling really nostalgic!

AND - I'm playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze! It's so much better than I thought it would be and really has that 'one more stage' feeling to it. Considering I completely hated Returns, this is a really great return to form.

Next on the list and waiting in my unplayed pile is ASS CREED Black Flag!

I'm not one for selling games, I've traded in games in the past thinking I won't play them again and regretted it later, so now I always keep them in my collection, thanks for the offer tho.

Following on from the rest of your post, funnily enough I elected to play Donkey Kong Country Returns as originally I only played the first couple of levels then for no real reason stopped playing it. What was it you didn't like about the game? To me although not quite up there with the original DKC trilogy it isn't far short.

I'm not one for selling games, I've traded in games in the past thinking I won't play them again and regretted it later, so now I always keep them in my collection, thanks for the offer tho.

Following on from the rest of your post, funnily enough I elected to play Donkey Kong Country Returns as originally I only played the first couple of levels then for no real reason stopped playing it. What was it you didn't like about the game? To me although not quite up there with the original DKC trilogy it isn't far short.

No problem! I should probably wait a while before I buy any more games anyway, I just remembered I also got Metroid Prime 3 recently and whilst I haven't played it before, if the original is anything to go by then I'll be on it for quite some time :p

And I really hated Returns. For a start, I couldn't stand the controls. Some people could get used to it, but I just hated having to shake to roll, it wasn't as precise as a button press and felt really gimmicky and annoying. And for reference, I played and loved both Galaxy games and never thought the spin jump was a problem.

Secondly, the levels were just too short for their own good. Just as I was getting drawn into a level we'd be at the end. It also seemed to lack variety in gameplay. Not being able to swim was a huge factor but also, apart from some of the interesting mine-cart levels, it all just felt like the same old and it seemed as though they tried to mask this with unforgiving difficulty.

Finally, it just didn't feel like a Donkey Kong game to me. The enemies, the fact that DK and Diddy were the only original Donkey Kong characters in the game (and the sad, old looking Rambi) made it feel like a Crash Bandicoot title with DK pasted in. And the music was rubbish, it was all so bland that I can barely remember a single track... apart from what I'd call a lazy remix of Aquatic Ambiance.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about the game though, because I really have a grudge against it and whenever I ask other people, they tend to rate the game highly. What I will say is though - pretty much everything I hated about Returns has been rectified in Tropical Freeze, to the point where I love the game. Additional characters such as Cranky and Dixie not only make it feel like a DK game again but also add a lot of variety to the gameplay with their new moves and the return of David Wise brings back some of that trademark atmosphere from the original trilogy. The main thing for me though is the levels. They all have a nice length and are just so fun and exciting - Just as you think you've seen it all, something new is thrown at you.

So yeah, give Returns a pop, 'cause whilst I didn't like it, many others did and if you have a Wii U, you must try out Tropical Freeze!

gaming_donkeykongcountry3d.jpg

DKC Returns 3D- Finished World 5.

DD-6.jpg

Dual Destinies- Episode 2. Trial Day 1.

Started up Gears of War 3 last week and I'm probably about two-thirds of the way through it. Enjoying it more than I did 2 and 1 (I played them in that order. Well people didn't play them for the story did they :heh: although saying that, I found it really ridiculous that when in Mercy, they were saying that nothing was out of place but there was imulsion stains all over the ground. Seriously, they weren't hard to spot so it was a bit surreal) so nice to finally get a chance to play it. Originally bought a copy last year but the game wouldn't load.

To those that played it, is Judgment worth a punt? Guessing it's more of the same but interested in some thoughts on that before decided whether to pick that up on the cheap and go straight onto that after finishing here or going on to play Far Cry 3.

I've been venturing into Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater on the Vita this past week (picked up the HD collection for £10 at CEX). I did play it on the 360 a year or so ago, but couldn't really get into it as such. For some reason, Sony controls seem more natural for this sort of game.

I'm having the opportunity of playing Tales of the Abyss on a friend's PS2 :) Never thought I'd see the day. I'm having Symphonia flashbacks. I also got to play Capcom vs SNK 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2, games that I hadn't touched in years.

Also, Theme Hospital on the PC (GOG). Despite some weird slowdowns, it's a better version than my original disc.

I spent my whole morning/afternoon playing ReVolt and Soul Caliber for the Dreamcast.

Both amazing games. Soul Caliber is so special, though. Something else entirely. One of my favourite memories of high school was my Russian Maths Teacher bringing in his SEGA Dreamcast in one of our last lessons before Christmas as a treat. With it, he brought in Soul Caliber. We had a little tournament that day and there were gasps and cheers of excitement when I pulled off a massive move as Asteroth.

Theeen, when I eventually picked up a Dreamcast some years later, one of my best friends and I played best of 100/101 matches on Soul Caliber straight (3 rounds per fight, winning one fight gave you a point). We were tied at 49-49, then he won the final two to make it 51-49. Unbelievable.

Supreme game. 10/10.

Started up Gears of War 3 last week and I'm probably about two-thirds of the way through it. Enjoying it more than I did 2 and 1 (I played them in that order. Well people didn't play them for the story did they :heh: although saying that, I found it really ridiculous that when in Mercy, they were saying that nothing was out of place but there was imulsion stains all over the ground. Seriously, they weren't hard to spot so it was a bit surreal) so nice to finally get a chance to play it. Originally bought a copy last year but the game wouldn't load.

To those that played it, is Judgment worth a punt? Guessing it's more of the same but interested in some thoughts on that before decided whether to pick that up on the cheap and go straight onto that after finishing here or going on to play Far Cry 3.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with Judgment and this is coming from a massive Gears fan who has read the books and comics. It does a few new things but with the way they structure the missions and changed the buttons it just didn't feel like Gears. It was obviously a cheap cash in and has done more damage to the franchise than good.

I spent my whole morning/afternoon playing ReVolt and Soul Caliber for the Dreamcast.

Both amazing games. Soul Caliber is so special, though. Something else entirely. One of my favourite memories of high school was my Russian Maths Teacher bringing in his SEGA Dreamcast in one of our last lessons before Christmas as a treat. With it, he brought in Soul Caliber. We had a little tournament that day and there were gasps and cheers of excitement when I pulled off a massive move as Asteroth.

Theeen, when I eventually picked up a Dreamcast some years later, one of my best friends and I played best of 100/101 matches on Soul Caliber straight (3 rounds per fight, winning one fight gave you a point). We were tied at 49-49, then he won the final two to make it 51-49. Unbelievable.

Supreme game. 10/10.

Soul Calibur is godlike. I have such good memories of playing that game.

Me and my mum and dad went to visit one of my brothers and his missus for the weekend and I took my Dreamcast with me so I could play Soul Calibur. It had just been released and I wasn't missing out on playing it.

I must have been about 17-18 and my brother is 10 years older than me. I went on to kick his butt numerous times and he eventually lost the plot and called me a spoiled brat for no reason, ( dude grew up in the same family so he knows that this wasn't true and everything I bought was with my own cash that I worked for ) before trudging off to the kitchen. He used to hate getting beat....to be fair, he still does and often kicks off over Xbox Live. :D

Flinky, all this Cast talk has me scoping them out on Ebay.

*shakes angry fist*

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with Judgment and this is coming from a massive Gears fan who has read the books and comics. It does a few new things but with the way they structure the missions and changed the buttons it just didn't feel like Gears. It was obviously a cheap cash in and has done more damage to the franchise than good.

Soul Calibur is godlike. I have such good memories of playing that game.

Me and my mum and dad went to visit one of my brothers and his missus for the weekend and I took my Dreamcast with me so I could play Soul Calibur. It had just been released and I wasn't missing out on playing it.

I must have been about 17-18 and my brother is 10 years older than me. I went on to kick his butt numerous times and he eventually lost the plot and called me a spoiled brat for no reason, ( dude grew up in the same family so he knows that this wasn't true and everything I bought was with my own cash that I worked for ) before trudging off to the kitchen. He used to hate getting beat....to be fair, he still does and often kicks off over Xbox Live. :D

Flinky, all this Cast talk has me scoping them out on Ebay.

*shakes angry fist*

That's a nice little story, aha. I have a similar one, but about ISS2 (I think it was) on the GameCube and my cousin.

He would regularly come over to our house as he only lived across the road. ISS2 wasn't that great a game, but (for some reason) my brothers, my cousin and I couldn't stop playing it. We played it to death.

One time, he came over and we were having a nice little friendly game. Bam, 1-0 to him. 2-0. 3-0. :mad:

He eventually made it to about 5-1 and was looking a bit smug about it. I'm not sure if he even said anything, but I completely lost it and told him to fuck off. :o:o:o

So, he quickly left, smirking whilst doing so. I'm pretty sure he came over the next day like nothing happened. :D

Anyway, being in a somewhat retro mood, I've started looking at the Gamecube again. Or, rather, the Gamecube functionality on the Wii. After getting the Wii U, I've moved the Wii into the bedroom. Ine was playing Eternal Darkness for the first time last night and this morning I was playing F Zero GX.

F Zero GX is surely the greatest racer of all time. There is nothing better.

I'm up to the final episode of The Walking Dead Season 1.

I don't know if I can handle this.

troy_whole_brain_crying.gif

Finished Professor Layton Vs Pheonix Wright and couldn't decide what to play next so I went with Ocarina of Time 3D and play through Master Quest like I've been meaning to do for ages.

Finished the Forest Temple, but to be honest, apart from being weird, the remixed dungeons aren't that hard. In fact some might be easier, Jabu Jabu didn't require lugging Princess Ruto around everywhere. The mirrored overworld however is totally disorientating, I have no idea where anything is and I keep getting lost, I was wondering around for ages just to find Kakariko Village.

I haven't really had a chance to play anything since earlier in the week but I was starting to get into Inazuma Eleven on DS along with finally making my way though The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on Wii VC and Pandora's Tower on Wii :smile: