NEurope
Jamba

Fez 2 cancelled by Fish meltdown

So I'm surprised that no one has posted this yet but Phil Fish, the maker of Fez has claimed to have quit making the sequel to his popular indie original.

During a video Marcus Beer of Gametrailers fame made quite a personal attack on both Fish and (Jonathan?) Blow, the maker of Braid, for grabbing headlines rather than providing factual information to the press about Microsoft and their ever changing policies on Indie Development. Beer decided to get right down in the gutter and called them a slew horrible things in true high quality journalistic style.

As a response Phil Fish launched an attack on Beer via twitter, including suggestions that Marcus should kill himself, which culminated in him rage quitting on Fez 2 and the games industry all together.

There are plenty of articles all over the internet with a variety of views on the situations. What's the kneeeee take?

Marcus Beer and Phil Fish are both arseholes and the industry would be better off without either of them.

Also, Fish really did quit FeZ 2 just like that, he probably wasn't enjoying making it anyway.

Giantbomb have a pretty good article running down how this all came about.

Also, Fish really did quit FeZ 2 just like that, he probably wasn't enjoying making it anyway.

I think he is still working on Fez despite what he has said, but if he really has quit, then you are most probably right.

That was extremely un proffesional all round, and if i were gametrailers i'd want to distance myself from an asshat like that!

and Fish, was right to react, any sane person would react to an unproffesional outburst.....unfortunately he should have spoken to gametrailers directly and vented...not publically blew up and inappropriately make comments like that (regardless if they were quotes the same meaning was implied)

both should disapear from the public eye

Phil Fish tends to bring a lot of hate onto himself with comments he makes or reactions he has but he doesnt deserve the absolute hate people have for him and the comments he gets daily. I cant blame him for wanting to leave the games industry with the kind of shit people say to him. Like Patrick Klepek though, im not convinced this is actually the end of Fez 2.

Marcus Beer can fuck right off though. I absolutely hate this trend of gimmick game commentators. Any of them who use negativity as their schtick like Annoyed Gamer or Cynical Brit do not deserve to be working in that industry.

Some internet personalities can do the negativity side extremely well. Others (like Annoyed Gamer) just come across as nasty.

I'd seen this, but I've not played FeZ yet and don't know a lot about Fish except his previous XBLA comments re: patching? I think it was him?

Anyhow I'd seen this, didn't care, saw it as a shitty toys out of the pram tantrum and think if he cares so little about his game/product to be a little bitch like that then I really don't care.

I doubt it's the real case though. FeZ was critically acclaimed and no doubt made some decent money, they won't resist that if it's possible with FeZ 2.

I'd seen this, but I've not played FeZ yet and don't know a lot about Fish except his previous XBLA comments re: patching? I think it was him?

The patching thing:

- Microsoft allow for one free patch. Additional patches cost £40,000 (this charge has now been removed).

- FeZ had some game breaking bugs.

- Fish quickly released a patch without properly testing it.

- This patch was much worse, caused more game breaking glitches and erased lots of save files. It was removed.

- Fish refused to pay the £40,000 to make a working patch.

Yeah but then didn't he publicly bitch out against MS? Then too, did they apparently re-dact their policy and he bitched that he hadn't been informed? I'd read about the technicalities around the issue, but his comments were what made me think he was being a bit of a dick. Is it not also that same issue that lead up to this current debate/conversation/argument that then lead to him apparently cancelling Fez II?

As usual, I only really get to see tiffs like these through the prism of the best tweets other people come up with. My favourite:

@danthat

WHAT IF THIS *IS* FEZ 2?

Look at how Fish dismisses rudefully an audience member's question :hmm: