NEurope

Does anyone ever watch these? Its something I always find interesting with all their little exploits in games to shave those seconds off but ive never really given it the time to watch properly.

Theres a charity speed run even starting today that will be streaming, thought I might give some of them a watch.

Here is the schedule if anyone else is interested

http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule

I quite like the idea of speed runs, but I'm really not a fan of glich/tool-assisted speedruns.

Enjoying this speedrun marathon so far, just leaving it streaming on my second screen. They're doing Spyro 2 at the moment. Watched some of the Hotline Miami one earlier and that was pretty impressive.

This simultaneous Goldeneye, Mario 64, and OOT speedrun certainly seems bumpworthy, especially given the time he manages is 51 minutes:

I quite like the idea of speed runs, but I'm really not a fan of glich/tool-assisted speedruns.

What do you describe as a glitch? For example. Metroid Prime speed runs depend on manipulating the lock-on/ side dash function to get the double jump boots almost the second you land on Talon, which breaks the sequence of power ups, but it's still just using the tools the game gives you.

I dont like tool assisted speed runs using emulators to basically paste together a perfect run but I am absolutely fine with glitched runs as anyone can do those and if they were in the game to begin with then I think they are fair game.

This simultaneous Goldeneye, Mario 64, and OOT speedrun certainly seems bumpworthy, especially given the time he manages is 51 minutes:

It seems that every time I watch someone speed run OoT, I learn another hilarious way to break the game!

Didn't even know you could fight Ganon as child Link. Brilliant!

And even better, he can be worn down with a stick!

Well worth watching. SGDQ and AGDQ have fast become two of my favourite events of the year for gaming.

I watched this the other night, i'm impressed that he managed to multitask 3 games to completion in 51 minutes.

I'm done a few speed runs myself, i think i managed to finish Ocarina in 8 hours once or twice, but that was doing all the Temples/Dungeons etc. And only collecting heart containers/items if they were on the path to the next area.

I might as well put a Miiverse post of a speed run I did a while back for Bravely Default here.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

That was fun.

Quite funny to think that a game accused of blatant padding can be finished this quickly!

If you guys want a chuckle, be sure to watch some of the runs for the classic Resident Evil games on Speed Demos Archive. The way they make a total joke of the game always cracks me up :laughing:

If you guys want a chuckle, be sure to watch some of the runs for the classic Resident Evil games on Speed Demos Archive. The way they make a total joke of the game always cracks me up :laughing:

I second this. We like to call these runs "Morning constitutionals" on account of it looking like the main character is just trying to get to work.

Actually, you ever watch Shaun of the Dead? Remember that bit where Shaun takes a trip to the newsagents while not noticing a zombie apocalypse is going on? It's like that but with more jogging.

I wonder if Twitch implementing these new rules about archived videos not lasting forever will cause the Speed Running community to switch things up a bit. When they do their weeklong events I try to watch as much as I can live but not suprisingly I miss a lot so I tend to use helpful threads people post on Reddit to go back and watch the Twitch archives. Might not be able to do that this year and unfortunately they arent brilliant at getting everything up on their Youtube channel.

A Japanese F-Zero player who goes by the name Legend is a bit obsessed with the very first track of the original F-Zero. Last year he broke the 1 minute 58 second barrier, but seems to want to take it even further.

He is in a league of his own, no one else has managed to perform the dirt cuts on all 5 laps (most do it on just lap 1 then boost through the dirt). A tiny wobble on lap 4 makes me think he will have to improve it even further before he is satisfied.

Similarly, Sami Cetin is taking the first track of Super Mario Kart to the extreme.

Amazing that such old games still have people continually breaking records on them. :bowdown:

Huge bump but where do people go to watch speed-runs these days? I enjoyed a lot of the Games Done Quick videos but that YouTube channel hasn't seen an update for a couple of years.

Also, any good speed-runs people have seen recently?

Games Done Quick changed their Youtube channel at one point I think. This one still updates:

https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

They still run Awesome Games Done Quick in January and Summer Games Done Quick in July. We do have a thread for those events as well so you should join us for the next one.

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57625

Yes you absolutely should. Some of the real plus points about these events is that they provide commentaries throughout to explain much about the games (some of my favourite ones are where a developer gets involved e.g., Banjo-Kazooie).