NEurope
jayseven

Your N-E Summer Mixtape

... Ok so in the past we've done some legit real-life mix-tapes that we've sent to each other, and we've had members who have expressed their disagreement in what they deemed to be, essentially, piracy being flaunted, so this year I figured -- while we stll have the sun -- that we should instead do an online version.

The idea is that you create a 20-track playlist on youtube to share with the class.

Pretty much anything goes, but it would be good if people consider the following;

- your favourite track from your favourite bands-that-noone-else-has-heard-of

- your summer anthem for this year

- your summer anthem for last year

- your least favourite song of all time

If you can't whittle it down to 20 then that's fine -but really you don't want to have more than one track per artist!

No other 'rules', I'd just love to see what people come up with.

I'll probably do this rather than work tomorrow. But I'm going to do it on Spotify to spite you :p

I'm doing what @Ashley is doing and am Spotifying this up. Will we need to create a separate playlist each or will we have one almighty N-E summer playlist of fun? OR BOTH?

I thanked you ash but I begrudge youuuu!!

I am willing to concoct a youtube playlist of any list of songs people produce, be it spotify or even just a texual list. Looking forward to seeing the tracks boyos!

I have so many more to add but here are my 20 for the moment!

Half thought about, half thrown together. Either way, it feels kind of summery to me.

Didn't include songs I dislike because I don't see the point :heh:

Oh and I mostly chose Spotify so I didn't have to constantly listen to five seconds of adverts.

I just went with songs I thought felt summery, at least to me. The majority are summery songs but as with any playlist they are subject to my mood/taste at the time so inevitably there are some random additions :p

I like this idea Jay. I will do it when I can be bothered. Most likely will just be 20 songs I like, not necessarily affiliated with the current season.

Edited by Jon

I've given it a little thought, so here it is:

For a little more information...

- your favourite track from your favourite bands-that-noone-else-has-heard-of. I believe I've never really heard 'Savant' he mixes Dubstep and what seems to be old gaming music. His Alchemist album has been my thing for a few weeks now!

- your summer anthem for this year. Definitely 'I could be the one [Avicii vs Nicky Romero]. I think its quite lively and I adore the video, makes me giggle every time.

- your summer anthem for last year. Tricky, I know I spent an awful lot of time in NYC mixing tracks, but probably be 'Treading Water - Alex Clare'.

- your least favourite song of all time. Hmm, hard to say, probably 'Careless Whisper' any version of it. Because it was an in joke at my old work and was over played.

All these songs bar Careless Whisper are on this playlist. I've made the playlist so everyone can listen (I usually keep them private). :geek:

@Ashley - Omg, Passion Pit are amazing.

__

I cba right now, but I'll knock up a playlist sometime this week!

@Ashley - Omg, Passion Pit are amazing.

They're a very summery band to me. You should check out Walk the Moon as well. The band of this dance fame.

Just re-read my earlier posts and I feel like they read "screw you Jay". Sorry if it was interpreted as that.

Here is my list.

I'll explain briefly why I chose each track.

1. Hungry Face - Mogwai - It's the theme tune for Les Revenants/The Returned, which aired the final episode of season 1 yesterday. My show of the summer.

2. Leather - Death in Vegas - This is my song from last summer. I have memories of driving to Cardiff and back to Bournemouth whilst listening to this track in the car, at full volume.

3. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen - I've been listening to him a lot this last month. So, it's fitting to put this iconic song there.

4. Giorgio by Moroder - Daft Punk - A top tune of this summer and my favourite song off the new album.

5. Inhaler - Foals - They played this tune at Glastonbury and were fantastic live. A great memory of a wonderful few days.

6. Six Weeks - Of Monsters and Men - Glastonbury, again. They finished with this song.

7. Tonight, Tonight - The Smashing Pumpkins - My favourite Pumpkins song and they blew me away with this one. Hearing it live is something else.

8. Keep your head up - Ben Howard - I love this guy's sound. It's mellow but enough there to keep you interested.

9. Dream Catch Me - Newton Faulkner - I heard him at Glastonbury and he blew me away with this song.

10. New Town Velocity - Johnny Marr - A friend of mine is a big Smiths fan and I had the pleasure of telling him that I've now converted from the Morrissey camp to Marr. Fantastic live.

11. Papaoutai - Stromae - Ine introduced me to this guy and he's amazing. I really, really like his sound. I urge thee to listen.

12. The Road - Hurts - this is disappointing because it sounds so much better live. It's aggressive, dark, a bit crazy, but so fucking good at the same time.

13. Baptism - Crystal Castles - Blew me away live. This song in particular.

14. Hopeless Wanderer - Mumford and Sons - It took me a while to like the new album, and it took me even longer to love it. But, it's a work of art. This song is one of the standout tracks and I can't get enough of it.

15. Write it on your skin - Newton Faulkner - The only artist to make it into this list twice, and he deserves it on merit. His live performance at Glastonbury was infuckingcredible. A very strong contender for best live performance I've ever seen.

16. Rocks - Primal Scream - It was a toss up between this and Come Together, but I opted for this as the latter was a bit too long at over 10 minutes.

17. Falling - Haim - My favourite new band/group. They are lovely. I love their retro sound and I can't wait for their first album.

18 - So Lonely - The Police - I have memories of sitting outside in the garden and listening to this tune this summer. Awesome song by an incredible band.

19 - Nearly Lost You - The Screaming Trees - My new favourite old band. I wish that I had discovered them about 10 years sooner.

20 - Flight - Man of Steel OST - Inspiration. Iconic. Beautiful. Uplifting. Powerful.

Music. Serious fucking business.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Loving these lists! Lots of lovely new music for me to listen to :) I made a note of my playlist but left it at work so I'll get it on here asap