NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Games You Tried To Like But Didn't

Timesplitters 2 disappointed me so much that I wanted to become Jewish. I remember trying so hard to like the game, I even played a game or two of it with @jayseven in Brighton (not sure if he remembers) and still didn't like it. The only aspect I enjoyed was the map maker, which was admittedly pretty fucking cool. But, inevitably, the disappointment came from trying out the maps and them never turning out to be as awesome as you expected.

Every aspect of this game I feel was better with its predecessors. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were and still are infinitely better games. Better controls, better characters, better weapons, better maps, better soundtrack, better everything.

The weapons weren't "meaty" enough. There was no feedback. I could have been using a super soaker filled with orange juice and it would have done as much damage as 95% of the weapons in this game. I hate it. I've tried many times to go back and like it. I wanted to love it.

Uncharted and Last of Us for me. After everyone raving on about them, I gave them a go hoping to love them like everyone else.

They're very pretty games, and Last of Us has a great story, but gameplay-wise I found them mediocre at best. Very repetitive and the combat is just awful on them. I really don't see why people are so in love with them other than the cinematic scope of it

Edited by Serebii

Dishonoured for me. Well granted I didn't really give it a good go. But from the parts i've played so far, can't quite see what the hype was about. I'll give it an honest go though later on.

Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Mario 3D Land.

I absolutely loved Super Mario 64. I like many of the Mario spin-offs. I also loved Yoshi' Story.

Yet, despite how many I try, I have not been able to get into a proper Mario game since 64.

The 2D games I really can't get into at all, and I'm not sure why. Part of it is the timer (Sonic also had a timer, but you're unlikely to encounter it), but there's something else about them that's not quite right for me.

The 3D ones. Sunshine was due to the bland repeated design and controls. Super Mario 64 was extremely fluid and packed with lots of controls. Many of Mario's moves were removed in order for him to have the FLUDD, which was horribly clunky to use.

Super Mario Galaxy. It was just too linear. A bit odd considering I love Sonic games, which are linear, but there's something about linear Mario which I don't like.

I really really tried to like and love Final Fantasy III for the DS. I mean the game looked fantastic, I loved the atmosphere and opening sequence etc. But it just was a massive grind fest for me and I just couldn't bring myself to try a dungeon again after 20 failures. The game was just too hard for me.

Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I loved the original games and tried so hard to like this too but everything about it left me disappointed. Character designs and bland remixes aside (which I hated), the controls are just abysmal.

DK is so slippy and the whole 'shake to roll' is just unforgivable as it's implemented so poorly, especially compared to the spin thing in Mario Galaxy which felt so natural.

The level designs also did nothing for me. Everyone raves about how exciting and fresh it feels, but it seems so dull to me. It's as though people confused quality design with ridiculous difficulty and small platforms.

I somehow forced my way through it and was rewarded with a shit 10 second (ish) CGI video that felt so far removed from the DK series it's absurd.

So yeah, that's why I wasn't too excited about the Tropical Freeze reveal :p

I echo @Josh64 in his feelings towards Donkey Kong Country Returns.

My contribution is Persona 4. Now, I love JRPGs and have played many in my time but I just couldn't click with this game. It took ages to get going and it was about a good 4 hours or so to get into my first battle. I also didn't care for the school yard banter and hobbies stuff. I do plan on giving it another shot though as I snapped up the Vita version recently.

Quite a few to be fair. Resident Evil springs to mind. All of them - survival horror games just don't do it for me. I still havn't played ZombiU even though it came packaged with my WiiU. I dont see me ever wanting too either.

New Super Mario Bros 2. I dont know why, I really liked the first one. I guess it was just too much of the same and I didn't really enjoy the coin collecting gimmick.

Pikmin 2. Ruined the brilliance of the first in my opinion. I loved the 30 day storyline, it gave it more meaning and I was totally consumed by the story as a result, hoping i'd complete it in time. Not sure whether to get Pikmin 3 now.

CoD, and pretty much all war-based FPS games. Find the setting boring to be honest. Give me futuristic settings like Halo/Perfect Dark please.

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Going back a bit now, but I loved Rare and this was such a disappointment. I think I am different to most gamers as I hate customisation, faffing around with options and different this and that etc, so building different vehicles wasn't what I wanted to do. I gave it a go of course because I loved the previous games, but I didnt last long with it. Also the reason why I dont touch RPGs now I think about it. It's a waste of time in my opinion when you get bogged down with stats and menus - just get me in the game and let me have fun!

Anyway, maybe i've just grown cynical over the years. I also dont have as much time to play games so when I do it has to be easily accesible and fun from the get go. Also helps if it has good split-screen multiplayer that isn't too difficult for my girlfriend/family to join in on. So yep - NintendoLand and Mario Kart are the onlhy games getting any action in my house at the moment!

Age of Empires Online. AoE is one of my favourite RTS series, and I've played through all of the PC games...except for this one. It just looks stupid, feels weird, and the whole "it's free to play unless you want all the content in the game" -system totally ruins it. I tried to like it, and some of the new additions are cool, but overall I just can't help but be put off by the whole game.

This is how you ruin a game, never again Microsoft.

Dark Souls perhaps I'm just not masochistic enough to enjoy it... yet. ;)

Dishonored some cool elements to it but it all feels like its been 'done before' and to greater effect in other games. :hmm:

Resident Evil 6 *sigh* :(

Rockstar Games yes all of them, I'm not saying that they're bad but when I've bought most of them over the years but have failed to complete any of them... you know something isn't quite right and yes I'll be buying GTA V for my sins. :p

Saints Row the whole series really, just feels like it's 'there' which is fine but if it didn't exist... well that would be fine too. ::shrug:

Zombi U I feel as if I should love it, but I just don't, annoying. :angry:

The majority of 2D Mario! Oh how I just cannot like you no matter how much I try!... Super Mario, Super Mario World, Super Mario Advance (Mario 2) they all just give me a weird feeling whilst playing them... 'I know I should be... but why am I not having any fun here'.

Now there are a couple of exceptions to this... Super Mario Land on the Gameboy, but possibly because this game was pretty crazy and because Nintendo and the Gameboy were new to me at the time really. Super Mario Land 2 and Wario Land/Shake Dimension are other exception. I guess I just prefer the craziness of the Land games because they feel less like 2D Mario :p

Super Smash Bros Brawl From the Wii U thread

- The slower pacing

- The stage layouts felt much more lazy/repetitive (a flying platform with smaller platforms above it)

- The new characters weren't very good IMO, and I didn't like what they did to previous characters like Samus and Mario.

- Preferred the single player mode in Melee, and felt there was much too much stuff in Brawl and not enough substance.

- The more mature graphical theme

Some of these may sound stupid to some of you, but to me they all added up to a game that was far less enjoyable!

I played Melee SO MUCH!!... Brawl I traded in after completing story mode, I just didn't enjoy it.

Borderlands Eddage got this for us to play through in co-op off the back of what an incredible multiplayer experience this was. It just wasn't. Straight away I just wasn't into it, it wasn't any fun for me. We put a few hours in to it, but I just couldn't enjoy it.

MadWorld What a boring, repetitive, visual mess of a game! Played quite a few levels to give it a chance, but then just couldn't go on and had to trade it in.

Starfox 64 I never got any real enjoyment from this game when I had played it very briefly in the past or on an emulator, but everyone always goes on about the game so when the remake came out on the 3DS I was willing to give it another go. Nope. Its just one of those games I just don't find any fun. I'm not sure what it is about it, probably a combination of the on-rails feeling like your being dragged through these levels, having to look after your teammates and if you don't they're gone and thus the structure of the game too. Actually no, it's just everything apart from the Intro that I don't like :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Any Super Smash Bros game. Try as I might, it all moves too fast for me and I can't tell what the hell is going on half the time.

The majority of 2D Mario! Oh how I just cannot like you no matter how much I try!... Super Mario, Super Mario World, Super Mario Advance (Mario 2) they all just give me a weird feeling whilst playing them... 'I know I should be... but why am I not having any fun here'.

I thought I was the only one.

Ignoring genres I simply don't like, here are some others:

- Just Cause 2. People rave about it, but I didn't enjoy it at all. I disliked it so much that I'm pretty sure it would be in my "5 worst 360 games" list.

- Halo Reach. I liked Halo 3 and OSDT. I played though Reach ones and never touched it again. I didn't like the multiplayer, either. It felt too....polished. Like a bit too much effort was put into it. It lost it's fun and childish nature because of it.

- Resident Evil 4. It's a good game, sure. I just found it a little bit bland. Still, it's a masterpiece compared to Resident Evil 5.

- Any zombie game since Left 4 Dead 1&2, apart from The Last of Us. Since Left 4 Dead spoiled me, I can't enjoy zombie games. The Last of Us is different as it doesn't really feel like most other zombie games.

Dead Rising - just couldn't get into this. It never clicked with me.

Final Fantasy I - V. After playing all the rest, I just could never hold interest with this one. Too archaic compared to VI onward.

Final Fantasy Tactics - I loved Tactics Advance, it was one of my favourite GBA games. But I could never get into this one, it felt rather bland and lacking charm. Poor load times too.

Vagrant Story - Played this a couple of years ago, and it feels terribly dated. Couldn't get far with this before losing interest.

I thought I was the only one.

Ignoring genres I simply don't like, here are some others:

- Just Cause 2. People rave about it, but I didn't enjoy it at all. I disliked it so much that I'm pretty sure it would be in my "5 worst 360 games" list.

- Halo Reach. I liked Halo 3 and OSDT. I played though Reach ones and never touched it again. I didn't like the multiplayer, either. It felt too....polished. Like a bit too much effort was put into it. It lost it's fun and childish nature because of it.

Ha! These are my two favourite games on the 360.

Anywho,

I would probably have to put -

3D Zelda games - I put 3D ones, because i've never played any of the top-down ones. Still, i've played a couple of the 3D ones (OoT, TP and SS) but only ever completed TP. I never really felt like i was enjoying them when i played. Only ever playing them because i felt like i ought to, and that i was missing out if i didn't.

The Zelda games. Everyone except Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Heavy Rain.

Infamous.

Halo (every one)

Gears of War (every one)

Borderlands - I actually completed this game. But hated it.

Bioshock

There are prob more - but those are the ones that stick in my mind as games I should have liked, but just didn't.

Any of the big, main RockStar games since GTA: San Andreas

Maybe my taste in games has changed, but I've never managed to "get" any of the big RockStar games since San Andreas. GTA IV just felt dull and lifeless in comparison to its predecessor (I will admit I haven't played the episodes that were released later), Red Dead Redemption bored me (I didn't get far enough in to see the story unfold) and I gave up on LA Noire pretty swiftly despite liking a good murder mystery or puzzle solving game.

I think their attempts to create realistic and believable worlds in all of these games was perhaps the main culprit in my lack of disappointment of them (well that and the gameplay mechanics felt a little ropey in some, particularly LA Noire). I loved the over the top nature of San Andreas and kind of wish they'd go back to that rather than making something like GTA IV. I play games to escape reality for a bit, why would I want to play something that attempted to ape that feeling.

I LOVED Time Splitters 2!

One game I just couldn't get into was Assassins creed 2. I felt like they spent lots and lots of money making a really pretty environment and cool characters and then a week before the deadline they went: "woops! We should really make this into a game!"

Banjo Tooie I've said it before but I'll say it again.. Banjo Kazooie is AWESOME :yay: It remains one of my favourite games ever and the sequel, which I've been trying to 'get into' for the last 4 years just doesn't have the same magic :hmm: I have plenty of complaints but much of the problem comes down to the fact that it is too big :eek: In my younger days when I had more time to play games and less of a selection of games eating up my time, I may well have enjoyed it.. but it's so hard to like it right now!

Advance Wars Most people seem to adore it and I want to like it but the grid based battling just doesn't seem to work for me :red: It may be barely comparable, but I enjoy board games such as Risk and Draughts so felt that a game such as Advance Wars would be good for me. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case..

Fire Emblem Basically the same reasons as above :hmm:

There are no doubt many more but that will have to do for now :heh:

MGS2 and MGS4. I love the original Metal Gear Solid, heck I even love the MSX Metal Gear games and the GBA game. But I really never could dent either of these two. It's not all about the volume of cutscenes, I think part of it is the sheer patience required.

One thing that really bothered me about MGS2 was the parts where you had to activate the radar. Until then you would get spotted all the time because for some reason the camera angle was mostly limited to a zoomed in birds eye view were you couldn't see enemies within plain sight 5 feet infront unless you switched to an anchored first-person camera. Example:

mgs2hd-02.png

Now the radar is off because the user has been spotted, but the same applies to before you've enabled it. If there was an enemy just offscreen to the bottom, you don't know it until you run right into them.

The way to play was to hide a lot, to peek around corners a lot, to switch to first person view a lot. It was a focus on technical stealth rather than fun/cool stealth and thats where my patience wore thin. I've tried to beat MGS2 several times on more than one system and never gotten past the first few Raiden sections.

MGS4 I couldn't bear the constant interruptions and gave up after about an hour.

Another that springs to mind is Final Fantasy XIII - I couldn't get into it for the same reason as most people, extreme linearity.

Edited by Shorty

Actually, I had one of these when I was a kid. I was a massive fan of a cartoon on TV. I knew all the characters off by heart (and there were a lot of them. Well it was a lot back then). I knew there was a game related but I didn't have the console to play it on - it didn't help that all my friends were talking about it.

Then one of my friends got bored of his and let me borrow it. I was so disappointed as I couldn't get into the game at all. I kept at it for hours and hours until I got completely fed up with the game and entire franchise, and stopped watching the cartoon.

And that game was Pokémon.

Tony Hawk series Back in the PS1 and PS2 days when these games were very popular, I had friends that played them all the time. I just couldn't get into it but I can't say I really understood why those games were so loved.

Resident Evil series before RE4 RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time. But I just could not stand any of the previous games in the series. I hated the controls, the graphics, the pacing the story..pretty much everything about them.

Ah yes, can add Metal Gear Solid to my list!!

Felt like a series I should play and like after all the hype, but didn't like Twin Snakes and won't be going back to the franchise (although I did try the Snake Hunter 3DS demo... nah).

Banjo Tooie I've said it before but I'll say it again.. Banjo Kazooie is AWESOME :yay: It remains one of my favourite games ever and the sequel, which I've been trying to 'get into' for the last 4 years just doesn't have the same magic :hmm: I have plenty of complaints but much of the problem comes down to the fact that it is too big :eek: In my younger days when I had more time to play games and less of a selection of games eating up my time, I may well have enjoyed it.. but it's so hard to like it right now!

I totally agree! I love pretty much all Rare games since the DKC series and especially enjoyed Banjo but missed out on the second game back in the day, so when I got a 360 it was one of the first things I downloaded!

I was pretty disappointed. I kept going and going thinking the pace would surely pick up but the world was just too damn big, even with a couple of the warp points.

I'm really treading on thin ice right now but... I much preferred Nuts & Bolts. Seriously! It actually answered most of the problems of the second game, mainly that the world is really big but you can now travel around in cars and planes. Fucking loved it. Sadly it's very much a Mario Sunshine in that it was a bit too different for most and we most certainly won't be seeing another title like it.

Jet Force Gemini I couldn't get into that game at all, after playing & enjoying all the Rare games that came before and after it, it really annoyed me. Ended up traded it in after 2-3 weeks.

Always looking out for it at car boots to give it another go.