NEurope
Happenstance

Avengers: Age of Ultron

There were a couple of those. Paraphrasing;

Hawkeye: How you going to give it to me?

Black Widow: You don't want me to answer that.

*proceeds to load the box with Vision's body into the rear entrance of the plane.*

I was thinking who talks like that and then who would even find that funny.

There was also a really poorly written bit where Black Widow...

Black Widow reveals that she's sterile and that she is a monster just like him, but the phrasing makes it sound like her inability to have children is what makes her a monster. I audibly muttered 'Jesus'. I realised later that's not what she meant but it doesn't not sound like that. Really poorly written.

Yeah, the dialogue has never been too much of a problem in all these films but in Ultron it was actually really bad. Both poor characterisation and poorly structured.

But it's a dumb fun film. It's what the Transformers franchise should have been.

Edited by Daft

Which were?

First was I didn't understand why Hydra had Ultron bots. I realise I was being stupid now.

Second (main one) was I didn't understand how Jarvis was in Vision if the download was interrupted, but on second watch it's because Thor's super charge completed the download, I thought before it was just a way to open the cradle.

There were a few other bits that I missed first time round.

- Didn't realise the guy on the Helicarrier was the same guy who refused to launch Insight in Winter Soldier.

- Banner co-designed "Veronica".

- Etc.

Hawkeye: How you going to give it to me?

And now I feel stupid again, I didn't even realise that was a sex gag. Even on second viewing. I just thought "Well it might be important for you to tell him". LOL

Black Widow: You don't want me to answer that.

*proceeds to load the box with Vision's body into the rear entrance of the plane.*

I don't blame you for not getting it, it's really badly timed; the length of time between that line and the punch line is way too long, the only reason I was still thinking about what she said was because it was confusing and an out of place thing to say.

Watched it last night and loved it. Lots of great lines and incredibly fun.

With Coulson currently hunting Strucker, it seems likely that he'll find him next episode and pass on the details to the Avengers.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Theta Protocol is Coulson secretly repairing the Helicarrier for Fury. The "Real" SHIELD thought the massive bunk bed order was for a training facility, makes sense that it was for the Helicarrier.

Also, regarding

I do like how we got a very clear view of what sort of upbringing she had in Agent Carter, with the "dream" in this confirming it. A nice way to show backstory, I think.

I did enjoy this, but I did feel less hype and as if something was lacking...the buildup. Phase 1 was all building to the first movie, but this one didn't really have that. Only over-arching thing was the Infinity Stones and not much was referenced.

Watched this morning with my wife and son

LOVED IT

Looking forward to seeing how the next ep of Agents of SHIELD ties in since Coulson is trying to find Strucker, chances are he finds out Strucker has the Scepter and calls Fury or Hill to get the Avengers on the case as his own team is a little distracted with Skye, Inhumans and the other SHIELD to mount any kind of offensive on Strucker themselves.

Though a part of me does hope there is a cameo from the Avengers in the ep and they find out Coulson is alive I think that might be hoping too much :(

Anyway film itself, like I said, loved it.

Having Wanda cause the Hulk to go mad causing Ironman to have to step in was awesome as was the fight itself..... cant believe I didn't anticipate Scarlett Witch messing with minds and being the cause of that, from the trailers I thought Banner just had a bad transformation and Hulk goes wild.

Him going off on his own at the end is very interesting, so he's not gonna be all Bro with Stark anymore :( Be interesting to see how he'll find his way into other films between now and Avengers 3, likely Civil War I guess is a good bet. (I think I'm hoping for too much from that film... In mind I imagine it being Avengers 2.5 :heh:)

Was slightly annoyed though that Hulk still hasn't been given a proper voice, I don't expect him to be having full conversations but a few lines from time to time would be nice, I don't think he even had one actual line in this film did he?

Vision was AWESOME, loved the build up to his creation and what happened afterwards....especially when he LIFTS THORS HAMMER...Like WTF????? Is that something taken from the comics that Vision is one of the few others able to lift it? Also loved how Vision seemed to not know the massive deal of it he was just like "here Thor take your hammer and lets go kick some ass"

Quicksilver dying was a big ass shock also.... the way Hawkeye suddenly had a wife and kids I felt for sure he gonne be the "cop one day away from retirement" type guy. Also because I was expecting Quicksilver to be around in future films too.

Loved his scenes too, they did a good job with him, didn't go for a massive SFX scene like the X-Men version had but I think thats a good thing, like Marvel didn't look at that and go "damn we need to out do that", they just got on with it. Loved the bit though when he tried to grab Thors hammer after speed dodging it :laughing:

Also finally getting to see Warmachine and Ironman do some proper fighting together was awesome and loved he was actually back to Warmachine too and not Iron Patriot still.

Shame Falcon didn't join the fight too was hoping he would.

So whats with the ending... I know it was said Avengers 3 would have a different line up and it would be cool to see the team of Cap, Widow, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Warmachine and Falcon but surely Ironman and Hulk will still be on the team when Thanos comes to town to rip the gem out of Visions head.

Speaking of Thanos and the end credits scene, short but awesome...but raises big questions....last time we saw the Infinity Gaunlet it was in Odins vault.... sure Loki is now pretending to be Odin and it is very likely that after Thor2, Loki just gives Thanos the gaunlet as part of their deal from when Loki was given the Scepter in Avengers1 but shouldn't that mean he would also give Thanos the Tesseract as that was being kept in Odins Vault too.... if he did I would have expected to see one of the gems in place when Thanos got the gaunlet. So either Thanos managed to get the Gaunlet out of the Vault but not the Tesseract, or maybe was that credits scene actually showing Thanos breaking into Odins Vault and taking it, doesnt appear to be 100% clear I guess that he was in his own place...could have been on Asgard and Thor3 starts off with Thor arriving back from Earth?

So we now have 4 of the 6 Infinity Gems known about.... any guess which films will see the final 2 revealed in?

I think Doc Strange should be a good a bet for either the Time or Reality gem with the final gem I guess playing a part in either GotG2 or maybe even Thor: Ragnorok? Given Thor seems to be off to investigate the gems after the events of AoU prolly will be his search leads him to another stone and he stone could be what causes Ragnorok?

Looking forward to Ant-Man now in a few more month... I know Marvel are puttin that down as the final film of Phase2 (so the Phase2 boxset likely wont come till the Bluray for Ant-Man is out ...ggrr the waiting) but I will be thinking of it as the first of Phase3, to me all these Phases3 are merely build up to Avengers films which make them the final part in their phase :heh:

Anyway speaking of which, was surprised there was no Ant-Man trailer before the film? Given it is their next film and out in what 2-3 months strange to see no hype being built for that....unless it was just my cinema didn't show a trailer?

Also looking at the list of films for Phase 3 it only just hit me how many there are in it. Phase 1 had 6 films, Phase 2 had 5 (6 if you include Ant-Man) and Phase 3, now with the addition of a Spidey film has 10 films! (11 if you include Ant-Man in Phase3), which ever Phase you place Ant-Man in Phase 3 has just 1 film less than both Phases 1 and 2 combined! Imagine the Phase 3 boxset!!!!!!

Hell imagine the Phase 1 to 3 Boxset, damn.

Sorry to be dumb here but phases? Never heard of them...

Since finishing my collection of Disney films, I've started on Marvel (I was finishing Lord of the Rings but that's a boxset I can get and Star Wars is a boxset I can get any time anyway so Marvel it is).

I've included Spider-man in the list and have The Amazing Spider-man 1 and 2 as well as Avengers Assemble so what are phases?

Yes, definitely more of a contained story, which I think is fine. I think the main build-up for this will actually be the next episode of Agents of SHIELD.

Oh yeah. Who did the eyes in Thor's vision belong to?

A few expanded thoughts.

Oh yeah. Who did the eyes in Thor's vision belong to?

I would have to watch it again but I had assumed they were Thanos' eyes

I've included Spider-man in the list and have The Amazing Spider-man 1 and 2 as well as Avengers Assemble so what are phases?

The phases are just groups of films

Phase 1: Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Avengers.

Phase 2: Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man.

Phase 3: Captain America: Civil War, Dr. Strange, Thor 3, Black Panther, Infinity War Pt 1, Inhumans, Captain Marvel, Infinity War Pt 2.

Extended Cut of the film and Alternate Ending coming on the Blu-Ray/DVD Release.

Hopefully that'll help some of the pacing/plot holes.

And hopefully it's like 3hrs long :p

I'm sure they announced the same for the first but it never happened. We just got deleted scenes.

No extended version is going to fix the issues this film has. I suspect it might actually make things worse.

I don't agree with that.

The plot hole issues I had with the film were:

- Ultron just... appearing in a cloak. I personally could have done with a scene showing him constructing himself. I just didn't understand what he'd built himself from exactly? Strucker had been experimenting building an Iron Man/Robot had he??

- How Ultron constructed than damn floating island! Did he just drill and pour Vibranium into the Earth? And yet have arc reactor like thrusters down there powering it.

- Where Fury just got that Helicarrier from.

- And biggest of all. The Thor stuff was just SO unexplained. I wish it hadn't been in there tbh, but seeing as it is, it needs another 10mins explanation around it.

I don't agree with that.

- Ultron just... appearing in a cloak. I personally could have done with a scene showing him constructing himself. I just didn't understand what he'd built himself from exactly? Strucker had been experimenting building an Iron Man/Robot had he??

When Stark went into the lab at the start there were Iron Man esque robots in boxes - Hydra had been building them.

I think this will be explained in the next episode of Agents of SHIELD (which is airs before the film is released in America)

- How Ultron constructed than damn floating island! Did he just drill and pour Vibranium into the Earth? And yet have arc reactor like thrusters down there powering it.

- And biggest of all. The Thor stuff was just SO unexplained. I wish it hadn't been in there tbh, but seeing as it is, it needs another 10mins explanation around it.

These two I agree on.

Speaking of Thanos and the end credits scene, short but awesome...but raises big questions....last time we saw the Infinity Gaunlet it was in Odins vault.... sure Loki is now pretending to be Odin and it is very likely that after Thor2, Loki just gives Thanos the gaunlet as part of their deal from when Loki was given the Scepter in Avengers1 but shouldn't that mean he would also give Thanos the Tesseract as that was being kept in Odins Vault too.... if he did I would have expected to see one of the gems in place when Thanos got the gaunlet. So either Thanos managed to get the Gaunlet out of the Vault but not the Tesseract, or maybe was that credits scene actually showing Thanos breaking into Odins Vault and taking it, doesnt appear to be 100% clear I guess that he was in his own place...could have been on Asgard and Thor3 starts off with Thor arriving back from Earth?

I'm pretty sure the gauntlet in Thor was just an easter egg as it had all the gems in it.

infinity-gauntlet-thor-300x270.jpg

Didn't Stark destroy all his suits at the end of Iron Man 3? Why does he have an army of robots at the start of this?

I don't agree with that.

When Stark went into the lab at the start there were Iron Man esque robots in boxes - Hydra had been building them.

I think this will be explained in the next episode of Agents of SHIELD (which is airs before the film is released in America)

These two I agree on.

Eddage has the right answers there for the first ones,

When Stark was off to get loki's staff you did see them, blink and you'll miss it as the focus was on the staff - Its quite easy to assume (given later film events) that he transferred to one and began his building

But this can be explain the latter points, Ultron had all Stark's knowledge and all he could find off of the internet, so it can easily be assumed that since he was controlling all the ultron bots he had them begin constructing large arc reactors in the earth along a change in geological structures, then the vibranium core to create the antigrav power core thing was built later

I do suspect you are meant to just accept that Ultron had his legions building them and to ignore the science..(in a film with gods, hulks and iron men) and for the Marvel fans who keep up to date, i bet AOS will fill in the blanks - they find strucker had recovered some of the engines off of the project insight helicarriers (to build his own) as well as any tech he could get, and that its this Ultron makes use off

Didn't Stark destroy all his suits at the end of Iron Man 3? Why does he have an army of robots at the start of this?

I think it was meant as his start of the Ultron project, that he shouldn't be iron man, but something was needed, and that he took the House Party Protocol to the next level; a standardised AI suit to act as an avengers army, so they need not need the big guns for all threats.

but i admit this is a hole, as between IronMan 3 and AOU you don't know this, or at the very least you don't see Stark realise he might need to don his own suit, it needed a scene or something somewhere in the cinematic universe to address this and see stark make the realisation

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Fair enough then on Hydra's Iron Man esque robots.

I did see stuff on various lab tables, and thought maybe he'd come from those separate tables, but I missed anything else.

Still confuses me how he either assembled himself, unless there were Stark style robots their to control and build him, or got himself out of a box unless a robot was plugged into an electrical source.

Oh I dunno :p I'd just like to see something of him being created; it just felt like a huge jump having him suddenly sitting there in that form as the next time you saw him.

Fair enough then on Hydra's Iron Man esque robots.

I did see stuff on various lab tables, and thought maybe he'd come from those separate tables, but I missed anything else.

Still confuses me how he either assembled himself, unless there were Stark style robots their to control and build him, or got himself out of a box unless a robot was plugged into an electrical source.

Oh I dunno :p I'd just like to see something of him being created; it just felt like a huge jump having him suddenly sitting there in that form as the next time you saw him.

I really do feel like they could have had an extra scene where he created his new bodies...perhaps its in the extended cut

I think for bits where people aren't sure why or how things happened, just use a bit of your imagination to fill these in. Not everything need be explained to the tiniest detail.

Obviously, but some of it just doesn't make any real sense. It makes it a worse film for it and it feels like the film has the potential to be better, but too much had to be cut.

Thor and Vision especially needed more screen time and hopefully that's in the cut somewhere.

Edited by Retro_Link

I think there was some Thor stuff in some early trailers that wasn't in the film. Selvig had absolutely no point in the film - he just watched Thor take a bath.

Yeah, it would have been better without him, just to keep things clearer. Thor could have called up to Heimdall for assistance if he needed it.

There was talk of Loki being in this film, with Tom Hiddleston being called for reshoots.

Not sure what happened there.

Don't know whether he was supposed to be in Thor's 'vision' sequence too, or maybe whether he was supposed to be watching what was going on down on Earth, they were after his staff after all.