NEurope
bryanee

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I'm really looking forward to this. Tickets have been booked and I'll be seeing this at least twice with different people. Can't fucking wait.

This incarnation of Lex Luthor will be different, but I think he'll fit in well in this universe. We'll soon see!

Ahhhhhhhhh!

Mine are too!

And I mean sure, he's haired, that's different.

For now.

The soundtrack is now out, you can listen to it on Spotify.

Also, the New York premiere was last night, the review embargo ends tomorrow 10pm our time. Some initial rumblings have emerged. Grace Randolf is quite quick to point out flaws in pretty much everything so this is a good sign that it isn't awful.

[tweet]711719847298768898[/tweet]

Also, a couple photos from the premiere. I like this picture; Deadshot and Supes.

[tweet]711672083013619712[/tweet]

fqYikip.jpg

12317336_594787240677980_1624740017_n.jpg

Frank Miller

12729673_1134589516574108_1697164602_n.jpg

I've been listening to the soundtrack on Spotify, @Daft.

Hans Zimmer's titles usually give away which part of the film it's taken from or what that scene is about. So, it's been quite enjoyable in a puzzle-solving sort of way to listen to the soundtrack. It's really good. There's enough new stuff there, but it also follows on from the sound of Man of Steel. Particularly "Their War Here", parts of "Day of the Dead", the beginning parts of "This is my world" and "Men are still good".

Can't wait to see how Hans Zimmer matches up the music to what's on screen. Mountains from Interstellar is one of my favourite Zimmer tunes, I wonder if he can top that.

I cannot wait for this film!

The world-building will be what gets me going. The little nods and winks to future possible villains and heroes (such as the question mark in the trailer or Robin's costume hinting at a Red Hood storyline and the Death in the Family arc).

Keeping an eye out for Metallo's creator, Emmett Vale, especially. We know we have Doomsday already, and with Zod already being incapacitated and used as something else in the movie we assume, I have to believe that Metallo is next in line to take on the Man of Steel.

Perhaps a Death in the Family beating of Robin in the Knightmare sequence? We already have Darkseid basically confirmed at this point.

I'm slurring my text just thinking that this is only a few days away.

From what i've seen on GAF and peoples spoiler free reactions, Batfleck is considered the best Batman shown on screen ever, and very surprisingly Gal Gadot steels the show - which is awesome just to stick the knife in to those who doubted her

I heard the last part from someone on Facebook (trying to steer clear where possible) and I'm glad. The unjustified hate when the casting was announced (for both of them to an extent, but particular Gadot) was ridiculous. Looking forward to seeing her kick ass!

These reviews are all over the place, just like the ones for The Force Awakens (which, by the way, I LOVED).

But the fact that it ranges from "meh" to "best movie of all time" at least says to me it's somewhere between 6 and 9 in a rating out of 10, which is pretty good. It has a lot to set up, so I wouldn't be surprised if it got bogged down in trying to set up the world. Looks at AoU. It happens.

NOW BACK TO THE HYYYYYYYYPE.

Man of Steel was the same i think; somewhere between Meh and Amazeballs.

All superhero movies are, no? They're inevitably polarising.

It's doing pretty poorly at the moment - 40% on RT.

What happened to all those positive impressions from yesterday?

At least it's not as poorly received as Fantastic Four was last year! I'm sure I'll probably still find it enjoyable, I'm not that picky and don't tend to let reviews effect my judgement of a movie. I just wonder what all these people hated about it? (Not reading any of them.)

Sounds like the dream of a good and serious take on superheroes in film is dead on arrival. Colour me disappointed. And the moral of the story is never dream, kids.

It's doing pretty poorly at the moment - 40% on RT.

What happened to all those positive impressions from yesterday?

At least it's not as poorly received as Fantastic Four was last year! I'm sure I'll probably still find it enjoyable, I'm not that picky and don't tend to let reviews effect my judgement of a movie. I just wonder what all these people hated about it? (Not reading any of them.)

To be fair, the preview screenings that happened a month or two back had reports coming from them saying that Affleck was fantastic but the rest of the film fell flat on its face. These recent reviews seem to be backing those initial impressions up.

Me and the lads are off to see it next weekend. I have no intention of braving the cinema/Metro Centre on a bank holiday weekend.

Sounds like the dream of a good and serious take on superheroes in film is dead on arrival. Colour me disappointed. And the moral of the story is never dream, kids.

I'm sure you'll still enjoy it. You've been buzzing about it for ages now.

I'm curious what those reviews are like but avoiding reading until after I've watched.

If it's just a bunch of "oh it's too dark" I'll stab a bitch.

The subtitle for Digital Spy's (not that I really take them that seriously) is 'Why So Serious?' which I know is obviously a play on the Joker but still kind of sets a tone.

Edited by Ashley

Is anyone surprised? Do people actually get excited by Zach Snyder films? Has he made anything good (other than maybe Dawn of the Dead?). This has always looked awful to me and not surprised by the reviews of it. Hopefully it'll be more entertaining than one of the worst (slight exaggeration) super hero film of all time Man of Steel!! (Which had a great 'idea' but Snyder is just too bad a director to pull it off).

Is anyone surprised? Do people actually get excited by Zach Snyder films? Has he made anything good (other than maybe Dawn of the Dead?). This has always looked awful to me and not surprised by the reviews of it. Hopefully it'll be more entertaining than one of the worst (slight exaggeration) super hero film of all time Man of Steel!! (Which had a great 'idea' but Snyder is just too bad a director to pull it off).

I thought Sucker Punch was brilliant and I enjoyed 300. Apart from that I haven't really enjoyed any of his other films.

MoS was such a letdown for me. I much preferred Superman Returns.

Dat scene. :bowdown:

300 was fantastic, one of my favourite films, in fact.

I think I'll still try and see this, as it intrigues me. I knew it probably wouldn't live up to the hype anyway, so I'm happy if it's at least half good.

This has always looked awful to me and not surprised by the reviews of it.
Agree with half of this :p I'm sure I will love it, but I'm really, really surprised by anyone who expected this movie to be anything but panned by critics. Blind optimism... because of Ben Affleck's involvement maybe? The sheer number of characters, the direction of the plot and the length of the movie was a recipe for disaster from the get-go.

How much control does a writer ever have in a movie like this? Tbh I doubt the writer ever wanted a "Batman v Superman" to actually be "Batman and Superman vs each other for a bit then they team up with Wonder Woman to fight someone else and maybe some other superheroes show up too". With a studio and characters this big the writer is never going to have enough sway. I imagine Goyer is drying his eyes on wads of cash at what WB turned his script into.

Well I said I'd rather be optimistic than cynical. No one involved in this gave me any reason to doubt it except Snyder and even he's shown an ability to make a good film with a good script – I think his films are only ever as good as his scripts; Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen are films that I enjoy a lot.

I think that maybe superheroes just don't work on film; when they do, it's never without the stink of apologism. I was hoping BvS might buck that trend – Watchmen hinted towards it – but it either hasn't or it's not being allowed to stand on its own terms. My suspicion is that is both, that it's not being allowed to stand on its own terms ("a few jokes wouldn't have gone amiss" coming from the Empire review) and that it's also just not that great.

Yeah I do wonder how much Marvel has been allowed to define the genre and now anything that comes after it is going to be measured on a scale of 1 - Marvel rather than anything else.

Yeah I do wonder how much Marvel has been allowed to define the genre and now anything that comes after it is going to be measured on a scale of 1 - Marvel rather than anything else.

Yeah, they have become synonymous with the genre, in some ways rightly so I've they've been so ambitious and forward thinking with it all; but it is a little one note (I like a lot of the films, not a dig). I would love darker super hero films, there's been a place for the knowing/comic ones like Guardians and Deadpool (and even Thor 1 to an extent) so maybe this film, or Suicide Squad can open the darker side too.

Personally, I still measure all Super Hero films against Batman Returns.

Yeah, they have become synonymous with the genre, in some ways rightly so I've they've been so ambitious and forward thinking with it all; but it is a little one note (I like a lot of the films, not a dig). I would love darker super hero films, there's been a place for the knowing/comic ones like Guardians and Deadpool (and even Thor 1 to an extent) so maybe this film, or Suicide Squad can open the darker side too.

Still the best Batman film! :bowdown:

It will be interesting to see if Affleck can top Keaton as my favourite Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Yeah that's what I meant. There's a reason they've helped to define the genre, but that doesn't mean they should be the definition of the genre.

(and completely unrelated but just look at RT and Zootopia is on 99%. Damn)

Edited by Ashley