NEurope
bryanee

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Yeah, they have become synonymous with the genre, in some ways rightly so I've they've been so ambitious and forward thinking with it all; but it is a little one note (I like a lot of the films, not a dig). I would love darker super hero films, there's been a place for the knowing/comic ones like Guardians and Deadpool (and even Thor 1 to an extent) so maybe this film, or Suicide Squad can open the darker side too.

Personally, I still measure all Super Hero films against Batman Returns.

207E2ACB-19CC-427B-8FF2-308575FEA574_zps1wmw8uxs.gif

(and completely unrelated but just look at RT and Zootopia is on 99%. Damn)

Well, that could mean that 99% of critics thinks that the film is slightly above average.

Rotten Tomatoes is the oddest review combination thing I know of.

I've read the IGN review and all the negatives are explained; it's not a case of comparing it to Marvel. The trailers themselves give a concise delivery of what's good an bad about this film.

Well, that could mean that 99% of critics thinks that the film is slightly above average.

Rotten Tomatoes is the oddest review combination thing I know of.

Zootopia (or Zootropolis as it's known in Europe) is bloody brilliant. It's more than just slightly above average! A very fun movie. GO SEE IT EVERYONE.

(Sorry, I know this is the Batman thread, but Ashley took it off topic!)

I don't care too much if the plot is a little messy. As long as it's not boring. That's the worst thing a film can be, for me.

Zootopia (or Zootropolis as it's known in Europe) is bloody brilliant. It's more than just slightly above average! A very fun movie. GO SEE IT EVERYONE.

Oh, I'm not saying that it isn't, just that Rotten Tomatoes is an odd way to judge a film.

Oh, I'm not saying that it isn't, just that Rotten Tomatoes is an odd way to judge a film.

It is a little peculiar, but essentially, it's just a meter of the percentage of critics that liked it. I guess the thought is that if 90% of critics are positive, which for major blockbusters ends up being a pretty large sample size, there's a 90% chance you'll like it too?

The problem there is that critics are often looking for different things in a film than the general public, so it can't really be taken as gospel. It should just be used as a tool to help you decide whether something is worth watching, along with your own preferences etc., not used as a complete rating of film quality.

They do also do user ratings so it'll be interesting to compare I'm a week or so.

Oh well, 48 hours and I'll have seen (most of) it!

I've never expected it to be great but I expect it to be entertaining and I think it lives up to that expectation at least. I'll be seeing it tonight so not long to go! Really looking forward to it.

I don't know what's left to say. These reviews are a mess.

But if one minor spoiler I heard (in a NON SPOILER REVIEW) turns out to be true, there are going to be riots.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I've already made my mind up not to read any reviews and impressions about this film. I don't tend to do it an awful lot these days as it skews your perception too much before you even take a seat in the cinema.

I was initially against the idea of Batman in this film, but I've come around to that. I was also against Affleck, but the idea has grown on me. We'll see if the final product lives up to it, but I loved Man of Steel and I'm hoping that this continues that trend.

So I've seen the movie now, and I quite liked it! On a "film critic wants movies to be art"-level, it perhaps sucked a bit but as entertainment, it certainly delivered. Ben Affleck did a good job and the setup for the actual BvS was quite believable. Wonder Woman was good as well.

Some points, though:

- Lex Luthor was too mad and I cannot see the WHY in his plan. What did he have to gain from the chaos? Why did he want Superman to be taken down from his piedestal? What does he have to gain from the one he called at the end?

- Lois Lane, I think I said this about MoS as well, but she is just too much. She knows too much, she's always there on the spot, she acts too knowingly, and she's never in any real danger. Too much!

- The ending was terrible. We all know that Superman is not dead. We know it. Why the tease? And Batman putting together JL? No way!

- Batman was killing people. Both directly and indirectly through exploding cars. That's just not right.

- So... Bruce's mother's name was Martha, Clark's mother's name is Martha. Yeah, let's be bff! Riiiight. That was a bit too cheap.

Some of those negatives are nitpicking from my side, though. I'll probably be seeing it again, hope that it holds up to a second viewing.

So I've seen the movie now, and I quite liked it! On a "film critic wants movies to be art"-level, it perhaps sucked a bit but as entertainment, it certainly delivered. Ben Affleck did a good job and the setup for the actual BvS was quite believable. Wonder Woman was good as well.

Some points, though:

- Lex Luthor was too mad and I cannot see the WHY in his plan. What did he have to gain from the chaos? Why did he want Superman to be taken down from his piedestal? What does he have to gain from the one he called at the end?

- Lois Lane, I think I said this about MoS as well, but she is just too much. She knows too much, she's always there on the spot, she acts too knowingly, and she's never in any real danger. Too much!

- The ending was terrible. We all know that Superman is not dead. We know it. Why the tease? And Batman putting together JL? No way!

- Batman was killing people. Both directly and indirectly through exploding cars. That's just not right.

- So... Bruce's mother's name was Martha, Clark's mother's name is Martha. Yeah, let's be bff! Riiiight. That was a bit too cheap.

Some of those negatives are nitpicking from my side, though. I'll probably be seeing it again, hope that it holds up to a second viewing.

Accidentally read the last spoiler, and well...other than what it results in in the movie, I wouldn't say it's a spoiler, considering.

Accidentally read the last spoiler, and well...other than what it results in in the movie, I wouldn't say it's a spoiler, considering.

The thought of it had never occured to me nor my friends. And since it's used like that in the movie, I see it as a spoiler. :)

At least we can start looking forward to the next Batman film

Don't even go there.

Give me a Batfleck movie directed by Batfleck and I'll be over the moon.

Fcuk the reviews. I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Affleck looks like a better batman then dark night. This batman is a legit fighter.

Fight scenes in dark night were terrible.

I love MoS and I loved this even more.

Outside of some odd cutting issues in the first hour I enjoyed the hell out of it. It could of maybe done with one extra action sequence in the first hour. I hope the issues with the weird editing can be ironed out in the extended cut due out in July.

Affleck was god tier and Gadot was great, her theme tune just hyped me up.

Also I've never seen the cinema packed like that at 12:30pm before.

Spoiler about one particular part

The Knightmare stuff was great, I really enjoyed it and what happened just after but because I understand when the Flash fucks with time, weird shit happens so I knew it was a vision of the future opposed to an actual dream but I feel for everyone else they might not of got it. They need another indicator that it was more than a dream.

It's a crap movie and everything that's wrong with modern day superhero-obsessed cinema, but it's entertaining in an 'explosion, fight scene fest, once you switch your brain off' kind of way. Superficial, hollow and deeply forgettable though, like most Marvel films.

Urgh, got dragged to this today. Terrible film. So so bad. Batfleck was actually the only thing I enjoyed.

Just so so bad.

I love MoS and I loved this even more.

Outside of some odd cutting issues in the first hour I enjoyed the hell out of it. It could of maybe done with one extra action sequence in the first hour. I hope the issues with the weird editing can be ironed out in the extended cut due out in July.

Affleck was god tier and Gadot was great, her theme tune just hyped me up.

Also I've never seen the cinema packed like that at 12:30pm before.

Spoiler about one particular part

The Knightmare stuff was great, I really enjoyed it and what happened just after but because I understand when the Flash fucks with time, weird shit happens so I knew it was a vision of the future opposed to an actual dream but I feel for everyone else they might not of got it. They need another indicator that it was more than a dream.

We discussed this to great length when we got out of the cinema. It just didn't look like Flash even though it was the most obvious one. My friend suggested someone called Sidestep that I don't know about. But it was a bit badly carried out.

We discussed this to great length when we got out of the cinema. It just didn't look like Flash even though it was the most obvious one. My friend suggested someone called Sidestep that I don't know about. But it was a bit badly carried out.

It was Flash. It was Ezra Millers face. It was some kind of weird future outfit. Completely different to the one that's going to be in JL. His message had nothing to do with BvS either, might of worked better at the end of the movie.

Came back from seeing this.... Really disappointed. The first half is quite boring and the latter half is... :wtf::(:indeed:

It was Flash. It was Ezra Millers face. It was some kind of weird future outfit. Completely different to the one that's going to be in JL. His message had nothing to do with BvS either, might of worked better at the end of the movie.

I think it was a bit of a nod to the video game Injustice:Gods Among Us. In the game, Flash from an alternate reality wears a similar Flash costume, and Lois is killed by Superman due to Joker's manipulation (killing their unborn child too). Also felt like a nod to Flashpoint. But I hated the use of it in the film...it didn't make much sense in terms of the movie's direction for him to be in Bruce's dreams at all.

I'm a MASSIVE DC fan, so more than anyone I wanted this film to be great. I can see why fans loved it, but if I were a critic I could easily have a field day just pulling this thing apart.

So, I liked it, but I didn't love it, and at this point it's impossible to compare the first DCEU movies to their Marvel Studios counterparts.

Edited by Julius Caesar

Watched it and I can honestly say I can't even remember what happens much. Worst superhero film I've seen. Even worse than Fantastic 4 reboot. Like many have said, Affleck is the best thing about the film but wow, shockingly awful.

Having said that, I do like the designs of some of the t-shirts I've seen in shops though so I'm going to be getting myself one...

Now THIS I am looking forward to!