NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I'd never considered Bill in that position, but from a personality perspective it would be great, he is a big Nintendo personality these days.

I really don't know much about business so can't make an informed choice, but merely from a 'he makes good games and I like him' point of view, I'd LOVE Sakurai to head Nintendo. He really pushed the Gamecube and Wii with the Smash games and he's always so dead-set on fan service. But again, just because he's a great game-designer, doesn't mean he'd be a good business man :p

Like you've all said, they will be very large shoes to fill, from a business and personality aspect. Looking back now, it certainly does seem as though the writing was on the wall. I always found it a bit bizarre as to how specific they were about Iwata's illness, I feel as though most companies/pr wouldn't go into as much detail as to say exactly what the problem was. Not only that but his lack of Nintendo Direct appearances, his abscence from E3 and the masses of plans he put into place this year, almost ensuring Nintendo were on the right path even after his passing. Very sad.

I LOVE Sakurai, and he seems to be VERY dedicated to what he does(from the things I read about Smash) but that can be a downside and still on a speculative front I don't think he'd either a.) take the job if it came up b.) be very good/suited for it. Something about him just doesn't cry out to me that he'd have the...diversity? Experience? Iono. You've gotta be quite an all-rounder kinda person for a role like that really, and I just don't get that he's necessarily experienced enough. Sometimes you just have to let things go, too, and I'm not sure if he's the sort who might(again, going by the things I read about him and Smash). Trinen's got the swagger and personability though, he's seen the Western side and he very quickly ended up close in on the Japanese side - there's gotta be something special about you if you end up personally translating for a great like Miyamoto pretty early in your game.

I feel having seen a lot of tributes this past week that I really underestimated and under-appreciated Iwata. I honestly wouldn't know who they'd get in his place right now.

Yoshio-Sakamoto.jpg

This guy and watch Gaf squirm.

Could be worse. Could be Tanabe. He's not everyone's favourite person at the moment :p

Nintendo Germany gamescom lineup

Wii U

- Mario Kart 8 (out now)

- Super Smash Bros. (out now)

- Splatoon (out now)

- Super Mario Maker (September 11)

- Skylanders SuperChargers (September 25)

- Star Fox Zero (still slated for 2015)

- Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (2015)

3DS:

- Little Battlers eXperience (September 4)

- The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (Q4 2015)

- Chibi Robo: Zip Lash (2015)

Nindie titles:

- Typoman

- Mighty No. 9

- FAST Racing Neo

- Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows

- Steamworld Heist

- several other

Further show highlights

- Charles Martinet

- downloads for Pokemon ORAS (Aromatisse & Malamar / Bouffalant & Sableye)

- fan art exhibition

- Mario flashmob

- Monster Hunter Communtiy Event

- Smash Bros & MK8 & Splatoon tournaments

- Pokemon 3DS tournament and High Score Challenge for Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition

- AR card that allows you to take photos of AC characters with a special software (downlaod code included on AR card)

Kinda dry

Slightly worried that there is no Xenoblade X on that list. I realise they would have to have a German version for the show (probably) but if the game really is coming in December that must at least be available in some form, surely.

Slightly worried that there is no Xenoblade X on that list. I realise they would have to have a German version for the show (probably) but if the game really is coming in December that must at least be available in some form, surely.

Cant believe Mario Kart and Smash are on there.

Cant believe Mario Kart and Smash are on there.

In an event where they'll hold competitions? It's not just about future content, it's about current and doing things like this shows that they're still pushing legacy titles rather than release it and that's it.

So what we're saying is Nintendo haven't stealth announced games since E3 for the purposes of Gamescom. Gotcha.

So what we're saying is Nintendo haven't stealth announced games since E3 for the purposes of Gamescom. Gotcha.

Yup. Shoddy lineup for E3 and shoddy lineup for Gamescom.

TVii service shutting down in America next month:

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

TVii service shutting down in America next month:

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Epic failure of a service.

I'll never forget the section of one of the RFN episodes when James was trying to play around with the thing. It was absolutely hilarious. The whole thing seemed like a mess.

I think broadcasters will adopt this kind of functionality through their own proprietary platforms - and they're the right people to do it, not Nintendo.

I think broadcasters will adopt this kind of functionality through their own proprietary platforms - and they're the right people to do it, not Nintendo.

Yeah, it's a great concept marred by lousy execution.

If only we could get a unified standard, then Logitech could integrate it into their Harmony remotes... sigh :(

Could've added Xenoblade X, Project Zero 5, Rodea The Sky Soldier, Yo-Kai Watch, Devils Third, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Metroid Prime Federation Force or Mario & Luigi Paper Jam to that lineup very easily...

Edited by Dcubed

Nintendo's customer service is abysmal.

I sent my Wii U Gamepad two and half weeks ago and got a phone call on the Wednesday following (the 15th) saying it had been received and the problem had been found. I was told on the phone how much it would be and that I could pay for it there and then. So I paid for it over the phone using my debit card.

A day later I get a letter dated for Thursday (the 16th), the day after I'd made the payment, saying I still needed to pay to get my device fixed. I then looked on the website and it said my device was still waiting for a diagnosis.

I waited a few days to see if there was just some miscommunication between departments but on Saturday the website still said the Gamepad had not been diagnosed despite being told different things via email and phone. I tried getting in contact via the IM feature on the Nintendo services page but it just kept saying the client had logged out every time I went on. I then tried emailing using the website and got an error message every time I clicked send.

7 days since payment, the maximum amount of time stated for a return after payment, I sent an email as I'm now clueless as to if my payment has gone through, whether the device has been looked at and if/when I'll get my Gamepad back.

nearly a week later and no response from that email either and the website still says the Gamepad is 'undiagnosed' so I ring them up this morning and they say 'oh yes, it's a big repair so we're waiting on parts, hopefully it will be with you by the end of this week, we were going to email you about it' and ended the call rather abruptly.

As if spending £50 to fix a controller that broke due to no fault of my own wasn't bad enough, they treat you like this as a customer. What a load of bollocks.

As if spending £50 to fix a controller that broke due to no fault of my own wasn't bad enough, they treat you like this as a customer. What a load of bollocks.

To be honest, this basically touches on the biggest problem with the Wii U Gamepad :hmm:

If something happens to your Wii Remote, Dual Shock or whatever, you can at least go out and buy a replacement. To have to send away an expensive controller to be fixed and not know when you'll get it back is surely infurating!

Thankfully, I haven't had any trouble with mine other than some connection problems when playing Nintendo Land back in later 2012/early 2013 but I think that was down to interference and therefore I didn't send it away.

Yeah, it's best to phone them, it takes them ages to reply by email (if at all).

They were super friendly when I had to call them though.

To be honest I've never had anything but the best customer service I've ever had, and only heard amazing things I'm sure... weird!! But yeah, I called them too so maybe that!

I called them and they said they were waiting for certain parts and it should be ready by the end of this week. Then I got a text from Nintendo saying its being fixed, then another an hour later saying its been fixed and due tomorrow. I'll remember to just ring in future

I called them and they said they were waiting for certain parts and it should be ready by the end of this week. Then I got a text from Nintendo saying its being fixed, then another an hour later saying its been fixed and due tomorrow. I'll remember to just ring in future

At least you've finally got it sorted. Good to hesr

I had a similar problem with Nintendo when, on the first day of purchase, my ex-girlfriend's ASSHOLE OF A CAT chewed through the wire of my sensor bar.

They hadn't been given prices for replacement parts, so they couldn't help. And they weren't given prices for about a month. I ended up using two clip-on lights from Woolies. Then I got a new sensor bar at the end of January. Mid February the Wii itself got a corrupted memory error. And they wouldn't send it to China once they repaired it.

So I see the WiiU has finally sold 10 million units. I don't see it doing much more really... Nintendo dropped the ball completely with this console. I really hope they step up their game with the next one or it's going to do even worse.

The Wii U isn't flawless, there are some issues and third party support being missing damaged it, but I honestly have never been happier with a console than I am with the Wii U. It surpassed my expectations and brought my love of gaming back.

All depends what you are looking for from gaming these days I guess. My Wii U sits on my desk gathering dust unfortunately.