NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

The 3DS hasn't had a proper Brain Training has it?

That Devilish one was scheduled to be released in the summer but has since went AWOL.

The 3DS hasn't had a proper Brain Training has it?

A third game (called Devilish Brain Training in Europe) has been released in Japan (around 200-250k including digital) and the US (roughly 20k physical, unknown digital). It was due for release back in April in Europe but was delayed indefinitely around a week before launch (it is still listed as an upcoming EU release in Nintendo's latest financial report, so its EU release hasn't been cancelled).

On this subject, I do have to agree with the detractors to an extent. The market that bought the preceding Wii____ titles are not showing much interest in the console, nor the games themselves (looking at Wii Party's Miiverse activity in each region, it's rising pretty slowly; and Wii Fit U isn't faring much better in Japan either...)

That being said, I don't feel that their development is a waste. Remember that these games would be pretty cheap to make and not exactly resource intensive (especially considering that much of the initial groundwork needed to make them was already in place through their predecessors). Even if they fail to spark the same fire that their predecessors did, they'll all make money and haven't really burdened Nintendo's internal development much. It's not like they made Wii Fit U instead of Metroid or Starfox or Zelda now :p

These games help round out the Wii U's library and are quick & easy to make. Even if they don't set the world on fire, they add some much needed variety to the Wii U's roster (cause relying constantly on the same IPs like Mario over and over will just eventually make people sick of them!)

Edited by Dcubed

1) Do you ever leave the house?

2) Dude you don't have to catch 'em all in one sitting

3) We're not friends

TRIPLE BURN!

1. Yes

2. Of course I do.

3. Lies.

I always view discussions on whether motion control and mini game collections were a 'fad' with a raised eyebrow. I've been gaming for a long time - since 1988 and Game & Watch and I've seen a lot of things come and go - what I've learned is genres rise and then fall from grace and industry trends change over time.

If you look back in time to the days of the SNES you will see that two genres ruled the roost - 2D platformers and 2D beat-em-ups like Street Fighter 2. At the time the big battles that raged in playgrounds across the land were between Mario and Sonic and between Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

But as the SNES and Megadrive died these genres were replaced by the 3D platformer and the 3D beat-em-up. Kids now argued over Virtua Fighter and Tekken - in fact I remember entire letters pages in magazines arguing over which was better with bitter fans of both game writing in to make their point. Street Fighter was a thing of the past and no single Street Fighter game of that generation broke a million units, a massive drop off considering the three SNES iterations of Street Fighter 2 did 12 million units between them.

However times change and now Tekken and Vitua Fighter are almost forgotten and the 3D fighter is an almost forgotten genre, sure it still has its fans but they are few and far between compared to the PS1 and PS2 days. People argue over Battlefield and COD and do so on forums rather than on the letter pages of magazines. The FPS is now king of the console.

These are obviously broad brush strokes - there have been many other games that have come and gone - the days of plastic instruments seem behind us, but at one time you couldn't go into a game shop or even a supermarket without seeing Guitar Hero games piled everywhere.

Motion controls came in a made a huge impact, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play and Kinect Adventures are four of the biggest selling games of all time pushing out over 20 million units each. Games like Brain Training and Nintendogs were also massive hits.

Motion controls and mini-game collections do seem to be fading at the moment. But when people try to make out their rise and fall is something different or new, I find it rather strange. So many genres and game series have come and gone over the years, it's just another industry trend. One thing is for sure though, the gamers who were playing games like Brain Training in little bursts haven't gone away. They're just glued to Candy Crush now.

Amen Zechs.

The more this industry grows the more genres are created and the more time each genre seems to get in the sun. I for one am glad that we have a console like Wii/Wii U from Nintendo. In my opinion, varied means of gaming are what this industry needs in order to create a sustainable base for the future.

It's just a shame that some genres seem to fall off a cliff in regards to sales. Fickle consumers or are companies to blame? Probably a bit of both. At least with Nintendo you can usually rely on quality - no matter the genre.

Amen Zechs.

The more this industry grows the more genres are created and the more time each genre seems to get in the sun. I for one am glad that we have a console like Wii/Wii U from Nintendo. In my opinion, varied means of gaming are what this industry needs in order to create a sustainable base for the future.

It's just a shame that some genres seem to fall off a cliff in regards to sales. Fickle consumers or are companies to blame? Probably a bit of both. At least with Nintendo you can usually rely on quality - no matter the genre.

I definitely agree - think there is space in the industry for a different approach. The Sony and MS crowds are basically interchangeable. Their sales are largely driven by grey/brown third party shooters and annual updates of FIFA.

I think having a third pillar to the console race that focuses on a different market is a good thing. It provides a refreshing perspective and makes gaming more welcoming to those who don't typically play games (and even those who in the past have looked down their nose at gaming and gamers).

Plus, whilst I enjoy a good FPS, nothing bests the magic of a first party Nintendo title. Those titles alone justify Nintendo being in the console race. When I play games like Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3 and NSMB I get a feeling that I simply don't get playing most other games.

I think the Last of Us and Demon's Souls top all of those games in your list Zechs in terms of gameplay and ingenuity, but then they are new IP whereas the ones in your list are Nintendo's bread and butter rehashes. I would say that Sony have more interesting titles these days than Nintendo. And it's not just 'grey shooters' at all.

I think the Last of Us and Demon's Souls top all of those games in your list Zechs in terms of gameplay and ingenuity, but then they are new IP whereas the ones in your list are Nintendo's bread and butter rehashes. I would say that Sony have more interesting titles these days than Nintendo. And it's not just 'grey shooters' at all.

I didn't say it was all grey shooters. I said the sales of the PS3 and 360 are largely driven by those games. But as the top ten biggest sellers on the PS3 contains five shooters and two FIFA games you can see that the PS3 sales are largely driven by shooters and annual sports updates!

I am not surprised in the slightest that you would think games on the PS3 were better than Nintendo titles. I think differently.

Maybe Nintendo would be propped up by those games too if developers had faith in their consoles. Don't hate the system, hate the users.

Maybe Nintendo would be propped up by those games too if developers had faith in their consoles. Don't hate the system, hate the users.

I dunno, sales of Mario Kart Wii and NSMBWii suggest that they wouldn't. Don't hate the system, don't hate the users, hate the rubbish that people talk.

Edited by Kav

What I mean is, Nintendo don't get a lot of the games that sell big (e.g. GTA) so you don't know if the Wii U would make a lot of sales from these games (since it often doesn't have them, or the versions are inferior to the MS/Sony ones).

Surely the Wii U would not get huge sales of these games due to the current low userbase anyway.

What I mean is, Nintendo don't get a lot of the games that sell big (e.g. GTA) so you don't know if the Wii U would make a lot of sales from these games (since it often doesn't have them, or the versions are inferior to the MS/Sony ones).

You mean a lot of the third party games that sell big. Nintendo franchises are the biggest sellers of all time - of the top 20 best selling games of all time, 18 are Nintendo first party titles.

The reason Nintendo doesn't get as much third party support is because it is less profitable for third parties on Nintendo consoles due to the different demographic and the high level of competition provided by first party titles.

So you're saying games like GTAV wouldn't sell on Nintendo consoles in part because of strong competition from games like NSMB? Ca'maaan think about it. That's not why and you know it.

Nintendo home consoles indeed do have a different demographic of players - it's because they refuse to modernise in making consoles that appeal to adult gamers or third party devs. They still believe offline is the best experience and that their consoles don't need to conform to a certain graphical standard. They make their consoles accordingly (underpowered, poor online infrastructure).

What I'm saying is...supposing Nintendo made more effort to attract the same sort of games, and games that run as well as on the other systems (same graphical quality, same online performance) then I think they'd make a lot of sales from those too. I don't think Sony and MS making a lot of cash from third party games is a bad thing. Attracting successful third party games is a good thing and the sign of a desirable console.

Shouldn't that competition deprive all consoles of sales so regardless of what platform it's on? They're not the only reasons. They don't listen to what 3rd parties want in terms of power. Argue all you want but but but Wii sold well, it's a factor. Developers like Bethesda like working with powerful consoles.

In terms of demographics they said they were after the hardcore gamer this time around. I listened to Reggie harp on about this. Lies. All their recent PR all I hear about is family, family, family. Their Christmas lineup is more casual than hardcore.

Where's this concerted advertising campaign that people said they were saving their money for now? I haven't seen a single ad. I see Sony and Microsoft ads left, right and center.

Edited by Wii

...they refuse to modernise in making consoles that appeal to adult gamers...

At 31 years old I never realised I was not yet an adult. What a silly statement you've made there.

Those that have a WiiU will more than likely be adults. Given that it's not sold too well then we could guess that generally speaking only the die-hard Nintendo fans have bought it, those people being of similar age to myself for the simple fact that they grew up on Nintendo and love the games they make, it's in our blood.

Then you're part of the minority. I'm not saying that the games you play can't be enjoyed by adults, but by definition they are not adult games (an example would be Pokemon, which I like). There's a lot of more mature games that Nintendo consoles don't get and you know it.

Anyway you're going off on a tangent and ignoring the crux of the argument in my post.

Those that have a WiiU will more than likely be adults.

Think about it - how many people have bought a Wii U? Not many. Even if they were mostly adults, which I'm not totally sure about, I'll bet more adults will buy the PS4.

Edited by Sheikah

Surely the Wii U would not get huge sales of these games due to the current low userbase anyway.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has sold 500,000. That's very respectible, impressive even I say. That number was as of last March so it's bound to be even higher. Get the cheque book out and spend sensibly Nintendo could get some more sales like that. What's the next highest 3rd party sales figure?

Edit: Concerning ads. We're all adults here. Why is it that any ads I've heard they've done have been on kids channels?

Edited by Wii

Im bored so had a quick look at my collection. I have more 18+ and 16+ rated games for the Wii U than any other rating. It appears that I have a console that is therefore suited to my age.

I'm just looking at that statement because I think it's silly. All the people I know that play Nintendo games are of my age group.

All children I know play 360 or PS3 and they play practically just CoD and FIFA. Try don't play Nintendo because "Nintendo is for kids" and that's "not cool", so they game on the "grown up consoles".

When I'm gaming online on my WiiU, and even when I was on my Wii, it wasn't often I'd come across children playing. The people online were usually of similar age to myself. When I gamed on my 360 there was a constant barrage of kids online, mainly playing "adult" games.

It's not me being in the minority, it's that Nintendo consoles sell to Nintendo fans who are generally adults that grew up on Nintendo. The exception being the Wii which sold to absolutely everyone. If children loved Nintendo consoles so much the WiiU would be selling very well, simply because it's what kids would be demanding as presents and pestering their parents to get them.

Oh look.

You guys are TOTALLY going off on a complete tangent rather than argue with the actually important issue here. Probably because you can't argue the actual main point.

The Wii U isn't an attractive console for devs to develop for.

So naturally it will make most of its sales from Nintendo games.

It's not a negative that Sony/MS make most of their money from third party games. It's a sign of a healthy console.

And that's the end of that.

I'm not as into sales as I used to be, I found myself getting so obsessed with them at one point until I reminded myself I'm not a share-holder or anything. Now I just play games for fun and ignore most gaming news unless it's to do with the development of particular games im interested in.

In fact, I've been so wrapped up in my own bubble (when it comes to games I don't stray too far from here or particular subreddits and Twitter) that I didn't realise the Wii U was doing bad at all. I knew it wasn't doing great, but I certainly didn't know things were this bad.

From those numbers then, is it doing as bad as the GameCube this far in its life? And is this really a problem? Say if Nintendo can't turn it around, would they still just develop for the hardcore crowd and wait it out or do you think there's a chance they could actually drop the console? I'm pretty interested.

It really is a shame, as like some of you have said, I wasn't too hooked on the Wii U to start with.. but now I love it. There are so many games that I still need to play and the mixture of MiiVerse/Netflix/the internet browser make it a perfect entertainment hub for me. Of course, I don't even both trying to explain to people that I like the Wii U because they'll just laugh it off or assume I'm being a blind fanboy.

@Wii the ads are aired on children's channels because if thy can get children to want it then they've got themselves guaranteed sales at Christmas. Children will pester parents for want they want endlessly, so it makes sense to try and go for them at this time of year especially.

However, @Sheikah, just because that's how Nintendo will push it this holiday season, it doesn't mean the console doesn't appeal to adults too, hence why all those on here that own one aren't 7 year olds.

I just finished playing Mario Galaxy 2 last week. Outstanding game, a masterpiece. Eurogamer did an article recently and named Galaxy the game of this generation. I can't argue..... much. Xenoblade and Monster Hunter 3 may be better.

Anyway my point is it has this childish cover but I'd challenge a lot of these kids to get all 242 of the stars. While I love the game, graphics, gameplay, music. The story and plot is awful. I know it's not the point but I'm tired of the same story every f-ing time. What, you never heard that story? Come up with something original please.

Edit: To clarify, that wasn't just for Wii, they voted it best game on any console this generation.

Edited by Wii

Oh look.

You guys are TOTALLY going off on a complete tangent rather than argue with the actually important issue here. Probably because you can't argue the actual main point.

The Wii U isn't an attractive console for devs to develop for.

So naturally it will make most of its sales from Nintendo games.

It's not a negative that Sony/MS make most of their money from third party games. It's a sign of a healthy console.

And that's the end of that.

I know that, that's why I'm not arguing against it. I'm just saying you've made a silly remark saying that Nintendo consoles don't appeal to adults. That's all.