NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

It was ridiculous, arrogant and unprofessional

:laughing:

Now that's funny.

Yeah, it's so funny that they got massive thunderous applause for confirming that they're not going to fuck the consumer

Made me LOL

It was ridiculous, arrogant and unprofessional

Bwahaha, listen to yourself. The venom runs deep within this one.

This moment was widely considered to be the moment they won E3 in the year next gen consoles were being properly announced. It is as far from dick move as you can get as it helped them cement their position at the top.

This moment was widely considered to be the moment they won E3 in the year next gen consoles were being properly announced.

What a sad state of affairs if not fucking over the consumer is heralded as such a glorious day in gaming.

What a sad state of affairs if not fucking over the consumer is heralded as such a glorious day in gaming.

That wasn't the point of discussion, though.

It was about how one moment in a conference - with audience and their reception, with presence - can be such a HUGE factor. As is evident by recent numbers in console sales.

Nintendo is capable of having many of those moments in one conference (and to make you happy: I mean announcements of games). But they don't do it which is a shame.

Directs (while quirky and fun for some) don't have much of an impact in comparison to live conferences.

Yeah, it was pretty funny that they really only needed to announce that they're not fucking people over to win over the audience. Horrendous decisions from Microsoft led to that.

However, let's not stray from the point that's being made here. I know you want to push your agenda regarding the state of modern gaming, but let's stay focused on why we started talking about this. By having a presence like that they were able to capitalise on that good will and truly cement their position in the industry for at least this generation. TL;DR: shying away from these events is not the way to go.

That wasn't the point of discussion, though.
Nothing new for this thread. :heh:

Sony were going to do the exact same thing as Microsoft. Only they had 24 hours to change their presentation following the tsunami of a backlash Microsoft received. So let's not act like Sony are some sort of nice guy.

I think the exact same discussion about presentations vs directs happened 12 months ago before the last E3 and probably 12 months before that too. We might as well just copy and paste that part of the discussion and all read over it, it would be simpler and more efficient than everyone actually typing out the same tired arguments again and again...

The fact is the Directs are here to stay, we've had the argument and we all know where each other stands on this like we do with voice chat.

Sony were going to do the exact same thing as Microsoft. Only they had 24 hours to change their presentation following the tsunami of a backlash Microsoft received. So let's not act like Sony are some sort of nice guy.

That's actually purely conjecture. In all honesty, we'll never know what was changed in their script, but if you look at what happened afterwards it makes it more likely that they were telling the truth that they never had the same sorts of policies in place for their next console (instead wanting to make sure no gamers assumed they were doing the same thing). To elaborate, Microsoft's console shipped with all the 'always on, no used games' gubbins they spoke about because they didn't have time to remove it and they had to provide a day 1 patch to remove it. Sony's PS4 shipped with no such stuff, which certainly adds to the likeliness they never had similar policies like that in place for launch. Whether they ever planned to go down that route in future is something we can only guess about, but I'm sure some guys here will have already made their mind up that they were planning to fuck people regardless of what we know to be true. ;)

Regardless of how you feel about it, being able to rewrite their speech and rub it in to win the crowd like that again shows how powerful this form of communication is.

Edited by Sheikah

You don't just make huge decisions like that in 24 hours. Sony were always planning on not fucking over the consumer. How nice of them.

It's crazy that there were so many cheers for keeping things the way they always had been. A sad situation when you're cheering for the status quo.

I do think it's a bit ridiculous that these things get so many cheers in the room too - this is meant to be a press event. The press who are there to report on it - they aren't meant to be there as fans.

Really, the cheers etc. amount to so little. Yeah, they increase the atmosphere there and then in the room, but overall, hold so little consequence. With the PS4 no DRM stuff, it would have had the same positive press coverage if it'd been in a Direct style video.

I'm happy with either style of presentation - it really doesn't matter to me at all.

Exactly! Sony did to MS and the XBO exactly what they did to Sega and the Saturn all those years earlier. $100 less and an easy win!

I don't think you should get points for not being a bastard to your customers. What's more, lets not forget Sony's online passes. They did remove them which was the right thing to do, but they still tried to push that crap as well.

But hopefully Nintendo have got quite a few smaller surprises in store for us. I'd love some more MK8 DLC, a SNES Remix, the finalised version of Art Academy Sketch Pad, etc... :)

We already got that, it's called Pokemon Art Academy.

DOSE MARKERS! HNNNNGH!

We already got that, it's called Pokemon Art Academy.

DOSE MARKERS! HNNNNGH!

But I want "DOSE MARKERS!" on Wii U too. :hehe:

It's crazy that there were so many cheers for keeping things the way they always had been. A sad situation when you're cheering for the status quo.

I do think it's a bit ridiculous that these things get so many cheers in the room too - this is meant to be a press event. The press who are there to report on it - they aren't meant to be there as fans.

Really, the cheers etc. amount to so little. Yeah, they increase the atmosphere there and then in the room, but overall, hold so little consequence. With the PS4 no DRM stuff, it would have had the same positive press coverage if it'd been in a Direct style video.

I'm happy with either style of presentation - it really doesn't matter to me at all.

A lot of the time those cheers come from fans that the companies have brought in for exactly that purpose. Only good thing about that with Sony was for the past year or two they've actually started telling us that as part of the conference.

I am the least hyped I've ever been for Nintendo at E3. :(

I hope they get me excited again, I just don't have faith that they will.

Same. I just don't have faith in them to deliver anymore.

What changed things for me was the Zelda delay. The biggest thing to look forward to this year was a fleshed-out Zelda trailer - glimpses of enemies, bosses and dungeons, all set to dramatic music. A delay is one thing, but the fact it's not going to be there at all just makes me see the company as extremely manipulative.

I've seen Nintendo do this twice now - once in 2004, then again in 2014 - show an exciting new Zelda game in attempt to help their struggling console. How much they intend/intended to release each one on the console first announced for is/was extremely questionable.

Add to this the fact there's been no sign of Metroid on 3DS or Wii U (and no real entry on DS), plus setting so many of their teams to make DLC for existing software, and they just seem like a company that's no longer willing or able to make big, interesting games.

I actually really liked the Direct last year for the most part, a better way to control the out put and delivery/message, and no technical nightmares to make it look amateur.

My main gripe was the waffling, I couldn't have given a hoot about wool or seeing the game directors in a wool shop, show me the game for goodness sake!

Nintendo need to wow us again. Great point @Grazza, where are the big games? (I mean physically, not characters etc) Instead of the bitesize worlds of Mario 3D World, where is the scope and majesty of Mario 64?! Re releasing that on VC has shown that Nintendo has become more conservative than it used to be in its game design. Stop playing it safe and blow the budget on something, Iwata! ;)

I suspect if we're going to get any significant retail game announcement from Nintendo it'll be a Wii U version of Animal Crossing..

That's what I suspect/fear too :heh:

I'm obviously not against it coming out for those that want Animal Crossing but, as is usually the case with game reveals at E3, there always seems to be countless other games we'd rather see return :grin:

(Anyone fancy predicting what the subtitle will be..? :heh:)

Starfox Unscrewed.

Starfox Universe

With the tagline:

"In space nobody can hear you scream. Online, nobody will hear you scream."

You've used that joke before. It wasn't funny the first time. Cheers all the same for nicking my title idea, glad you like it.