NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Any ideas why Nintendo omitted Ethernet? Surely such a ubiquitous connection doesn't come with excessive licensing fees?

I get the feeling it was more of that "we want a small box that's out of the way, for families" mentality. Which probably means just plugging it in to the wall and connecting it to your Wifi too, n00b style.

Had a bit of a crazy conversation today when my pro controllers eventually got delivered. My sister and her family were visiting and all seemed genuinely surprised that I would need multiple controllers for my Wii U. It would appear they thought my Wii U was just the gamepad. :S I now this is old... but I kinda thought that Nintendo had some how gotten the message out there. Guess not :(

Anyway, pro controllers are nice.. took me a while to get used to them. I grabbed a GC controller to compare... I think the pro controller looks and feels like a natural progression from the GC pad. The only thing it is missing are those analogue triggers. In many ways it feels a bit of a shame that the Wii U wasn't a last gen console, It just REALLY feels like the true successor to the Gamecube for me.

Had a bit of a crazy conversation today when my pro controllers eventually got delivered. My sister and her family were visiting and all seemed genuinely surprised that I would need multiple controllers for my Wii U. It would appear they thought my Wii U was just the gamepad. :S I now this is old... but I kinda thought that Nintendo had some how gotten the message out there. Guess not :(

Anyway, pro controllers are nice.. took me a while to get used to them. I grabbed a GC controller to compare... I think the pro controller looks and feels like a natural progression from the GC pad. The only thing it is missing are those analogue triggers. In many ways it feels a bit of a shame that the Wii U wasn't a last gen console, It just REALLY feels like the true successor to the Gamecube for me.

The message hasn't got across. I'm convinced that the majority of people out there don't even know that the WiiU exists. It's a shame, but not unexpected. Not sure why we'd expect the public to suddenly spot a WiiU and understand that it's different to a Wii, Nintendo haven't done enough to get that message across.

As for the Pro Controller, I don't consider it a natural progression from the GC pad. It's a natural progression from the Classic Controller and the Classic Controller Pro. It's a better version than those. The GC pad is just a completely different beast altogether. I don't consider them at all alike. I'm pretty sure that there are more differences than similarities there if you look at it in depth. So, can't agree with you there. The shape of the controller, style of the buttons, texture of the sticks, shoulder buttons, button placement, feel of the controller, ergonomics are all completely different.

I don't consider them at all alike. I'm pretty sure that there are more differences than similarities there if you look at it in depth. So, can't agree with you there. The shape of the controller, style of the buttons, texture of the sticks, shoulder buttons, button placement, feel of the controller, ergonomics are all completely different.

I had one of each at hand.

The primary analogue stick and D pad are positionally in the same place on both. same distance, same angle. The Dpad on the WPC is larger and nicer.

The WPC home button is in the position of the GC start button

The buttons are perhaps the most noticeable change, a more traditional shape on the WPC, and they now take the place of the GC c stick.

The C stick has been replaced by a second analogue stick in the position of the old GC buttons.

The shoulder buttons have lost analogue functionality, and the Z button is below the regular shoulder buttons, and is joined by a ZL.

Obviously the WPC has - and + buttons, as well as a standby button.

In terms of form, looking at the profile, the WPC has longer arms for the palm to rest upon, with those arms tapering more noticeably than it's GC grandparent, but the overall shape is quite recognisable. The ridges that drop down to house the Z buttons replaces the support provided in the GC by the central rumble pack. Looking down from above...

Something I just notices, is the curve, where the battery indicator light for the WPC is.. it curves down... I placed my GC against it.. the upward curve of the GC controller I believe would fit in quite snugly, if both controllers had shoulder buttons removed.

Obviously the arms to the right and the left taper outwards, leaving the wrists further apart when you hold the WPC compared to natural holding position of the GC pad.

Yes it is different and disappointingly inferior in some ways. But I still feel it has built on the GC controller, improving on a number of aspects.

I had one of each at hand.

The primary analogue stick and D pad are positionally in the same place on both. same distance, same angle. The Dpad on the WPC is larger and nicer.

The WPC home button is in the position of the GC start button

The buttons are perhaps the most noticeable change, a more traditional shape on the WPC, and they now take the place of the GC c stick.

The C stick has been replaced by a second analogue stick in the position of the old GC buttons.

The shoulder buttons have lost analogue functionality, and the Z button is below the regular shoulder buttons, and is joined by a ZL.

Obviously the WPC has - and + buttons, as well as a standby button.

In terms of form, looking at the profile, the WPC has longer arms for the palm to rest upon, with those arms tapering more noticeably than it's GC grandparent, but the overall shape is quite recognisable. The ridges that drop down to house the Z buttons replaces the support provided in the GC by the central rumble pack. Looking down from above...

Something I just notices, is the curve, where the battery indicator light for the WPC is.. it curves down... I placed my GC against it.. the upward curve of the GC controller I believe would fit in quite snugly, if both controllers had shoulder buttons removed.

Obviously the arms to the right and the left taper outwards, leaving the wrists further apart when you hold the WPC compared to natural holding position of the GC pad.

Yes it is different and disappointingly inferior in some ways. But I still feel it has built on the GC controller, improving on a number of aspects.

I've thanked your post as you've put your opinion across well and obviously like the pad/it means a lot to you. I still can't agree with it being an evolution on the GC pad, sorry brah. :D

It feels like something different to me entirely. It's a different direction. Microsoft and Sony have built on from their controllers since the Xbox/PSone/DualShock and each iteration is an evolution of the last. With Nintendo, I don't truly believe that they do that, or at least they haven't seemingly done that. There was some evolution between NES and SNES...ish. But, very little between SNES and N64, it's a completely different beast. Same with N64 to GC, then GC to Wii. There will be some Nintendo "trade-marks" there, like maybe the feel of some buttons, but for me every pad is different in some way to the last...with the exception of the Classic Controller/CCPro/Pro Controller and GamePad, which do seem to have some sort of on-going progression with them, at least in style. Or, at the very least, that progression is stronger there. Not sure if it's technically a great thing since I'm not a fan of any of those controllers.

I'll be curious with what Nintendo do for the next generation in terms of their controller. Wouldn't surprise me if they carried on this progression, maybe a Pro Controller with analogue shoulder buttons. Or, it wouldn't surprise me if they ripped up all of the current plans and started again. You just don't know with them.

Tbh I would see Microsoft and Sony more refining their controllers rather than evolving them.

You can see hints of the older controller in Nintendo's efforts..

Nes > Snes retained the dpad on the left, buttons on the right.

Snes > N64, the Dpad remained, buttons on the right. Overall snes controller shape for these elements very loosely retained.

N64 > GC the side arms seem to be retained, the principle control remains on the right, although this is now changed to the analogue stick. Buttons remain on the far right.

GC > Wii is harder to argue, and in fact I would say that is the one controller that didn't evolve much at all, it's as if the nes species survived then made one giant leap evolution into the Wii.

GC> Wii U... I've already made that point.

I suppose a term like evolution is meaningless in context. An Evolution can be large or small... I think we agree Nintendo tend to make more drastic changes to their controllers?

Report details supposed turmoil within Nintendo management

A report published on Japanese website Business Journal details alleged turmoil within management at Nintendo.

The article claims that there’s a shared recognition of Iwata being the culprit among management. While there is a strong desire to bring games/franchises like Mario to smartphones, Iwata is strongly vetoing the idea. Iwata reiterates that “Nintendo’s strength is in unified development of game hardware and software”, stubbornly rejects the “net” (seems to reference how smartphones don’t use physical media since they download games), and fixates over “game consoles” – perhaps in light of his pride as a former developer.

Hiroshi Yamauchi, the previous president of Nintendo, passed away last fall. Apparently, no one remains who can defy Iwata. There are also rumors of management scheming to get rid of the president.

Another insider quote shared by Business Journal claims that there’s cultural friction based on how Iwata comes from outside the company (maybe given his origins at HAL Laboratory?). He continues to be involved with software development even after becoming president and there is a feeling of helplessness among “native” Nintendo executives.

Another point worth mentioning: supposedly, managers who oppose Iwata would want Yamauchi’s first son to become Nintendo’s president.

http://nintendoeverything.com/report-details-supposed-turmoil-within-nintendo-management/#more-168330

Iwata has made a lot of mistakes but I agree with him on Nintendo staying away from smart phones and going 3rd party is out of the question.

That article comes across as a load of bunk. It's probably a matter of someone trying to stir up some fake rumours in order to pile on more pressure for them to go mobile.

Quite frankly it doesn't make any sense if you really think about it. If you look at the evolution of Nintendo's Board of Directors, you'll notice that the BOD is very tightly knit and very close to Iwata. Not only is there no scope for a coup (given that Iwata has full control over everyone who was brought in in recent years), but there would also be no real desire to either; I mean, why would Genyo Takeda (a man who has made his entire professional career off of designing and leading the development of dedicated gaming hardware) suddenly be so eager to want to throw away his own hard earned legacy? He doesn't even own that many shares - like the rest of the board outside Iwata - so there isn't even a monitory incentive here either!

Likewise, why would Shigeru Miyamoto want to go against everything he personally stands for and dump the idea of making quality software and jump into making mobile scam games? It doesn't make sense; these guys are gunning for even more dedicated hardware in the form of QOL after all!

And that part about Iwata supposedly still being involved in software development behind everyone's back doesn't make sense either, considering that he just recently gave up control over Nintendo SPD to Shinya Takahashi when he became CEO of NOA last year. He wouldn't even have time to spare to do so!

And a rejection of download games replacing physical media? Really!? Coming from the company that has done nothing but push download versions of games ahead of physical at every opportunity since 2012? LOL! :laughing:

Not to mention that the idea of Iwata being seen as an outsider since he came from HAL... Bit late there for those kinds of theories, considering that he's been president of Nintendo for over a decade now... The people who may have rejected him on those grounds are long gone at this point! Everyone on the BOD has been elected by his hand after all! Hell, his closest group on the BOD have been personal friends of his since the earliest days of the NES era! Of all reasons to reject him, it wouldn't be because he originated from HAL.

That article comes across as a load of bunk. It's probably a matter of someone trying to stir up some fake rumours in order to pile on more pressure for them to go mobile.

Quite frankly it doesn't make any sense if you really think about it. If you look at the evolution of Nintendo's Board of Directors, you'll notice that the BOD is very tightly knit and very close to Iwata. Not only is there no scope for a coup (given that Iwata has full control over everyone who was brought in in recent years), but there would also be no real desire to either; I mean, why would Genyo Takeda (a man who has made his entire professional career off of designing and leading the development of dedicated gaming hardware) suddenly be so eager to want to throw away his own hard earned legacy? He doesn't even own that many shares - like the rest of the board outside Iwata - so there isn't even a monitory incentive here either!

Likewise, why would Shigeru Miyamoto want to go against everything he personally stands for and dump the idea of making quality software and jump into making mobile scam games? It doesn't make sense; these guys are gunning for even more dedicated hardware in the form of QOL after all!

And that part about Iwata supposedly still being involved in software development behind everyone's back doesn't make sense either, considering that he just recently gave up control over Nintendo SPD to Shinya Takahashi when he became CEO of NOA last year. He wouldn't even have time to spare to do so!

And a rejection of download games replacing physical media? Really!? Coming from the company that has done nothing but push download versions of games ahead of physical at every opportunity since 2012? LOL! :laughing:

Not to mention that the idea of Iwata being seen as an outsider since he came from HAL... Bit late there for those kinds of theories, considering that he's been president of Nintendo for over a decade now... The people who may have rejected him on those grounds are long gone at this point! Everyone on the BOD has been elected by his hand after all! Hell, his closest group on the BOD have been personal friends of his since the earliest days of the NES era! Of all reasons to reject him, it wouldn't be because he originated from HAL.

If I could thank this post more than once, I would. :hehe:

Never leave this place, Dcubed. :bowdown:

If I could thank this post more than once, I would. :hehe:

Never leave this place, Dcubed. :bowdown:

Heh, don't thank me, thank the person who compiled all that info on GAF that I shamelessly stole :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

Thank you.

I was going to post something similar, but know I'd end up offending someone, but you managed to state it so succinctly and without bias.

============

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure we'll have a Direct within the next 12 days

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure we'll have a Direct within the next 12 days

We should be due on this week, but that's when the Hyrule Warrior one is scheduled so I was a bit concerned that's all we would be getting. And that's just the English version of the one Japan previously got, right?

So he has a dictatorship?

Article doesn't say Miyamoto has turned against Iwata.

I don't know about the board, it is possible regardless of friendships. If you were in the passenger side of a car and your friend was going to drive off a cliff, would you let them?

A lot of the shareholders are against Iwata but some are absolutely clueless about the game industry. Some of the questions they asked in the last AGM while hilariously stupid were very worrying. Get enough of the shareholders to turn, it wouldn't matter if the board was an entire close knit family of directors.

Edited by Wii

We should be due on this week, but that's when the Hyrule Warrior one is scheduled so I was a bit concerned that's all we would be getting. And that's just the English version of the one Japan previously got, right?

No. Japan's getting the Hyrule Warriors Direct at the same time as the US, and we're getting it a couple hours after (since it'd be 4am for us).

I'm still certain we'll have a standard Direct within the coming fortnight. My money is on Friday this coming week.

So he has a dictatorship?

Yeah, it's pretty much fucked, whether you believe the article or the rebuttal. Neither casts the man in a positive light at all.

In fact, the rebuttal is in some ways worse. Being surrounded by yes men is bad for a Nintendo that needs to change.

I'm still certain we'll have a standard Direct within the coming fortnight. My money is on Friday this coming week.
Here's hoping.

I'm pretty intrigued by the next standard Direct (especially if you know what really has been delayed to you know when ;):heh:) I mean, what the hell are they gonna talk about for the rest of 2014? :blank:

Obviously Hyrule Warriors will have had a direct by then.

Smash Bros. for 3DS was already covered in a direct and has been getting loads of coverage recently.

Bayonetta 2 has also been shown a lot and will probably get its own direct anyway (where Kamiya reminds us of the release date over and over :grin:).

So unless they're bringing forward amiibo for MK8 or have some significant surprises, there doesn't seem to be that much left for a general Direct. :hmm: Makes me think it'll be more focused on 3DS... Theatrhythm, Fantasy Life, Pokémon, etc. ::shrug:

No. Japan's getting the Hyrule Warriors Direct at the same time as the US, and we're getting it a couple hours after (since it'd be 4am for us).

I reckon it'll be closer to the end of the month, around sometime between the 20th-26th. I wouldn't think that they'd want it to hit too closely to the Hyrule Warriors Direct, lest it lessen its impact.

Speaking of which...

Here's hoping.

I'm pretty intrigued by the next standard Direct (especially if you know what really has been delayed to you know when ;):heh:) I mean, what the hell are they gonna talk about for the rest of 2014? :blank:

If Smash Bros Wii U is still coming out this year, this will be the time for them to announce the release date. If it doesn't get announced here, it's not coming out till next year (no way would they wait until the next Nintendo Direct in October and announce the date less than 2 months before it would be due to release - I mean, they could do one last Smash specific Direct in September, but I would think that's pushing it because...)

Smash Bros. for 3DS was already covered in a direct and has been getting loads of coverage recently.

I think we'll get the final Smash Bros character unveil during this ND. We'll have less than a month to go before the Japanese release date for SSB 3DS, so there would be no real space to announce anything else before then - and Sakurai did say that we're nearing the end of new character announcements...)

Bayonetta 2 has also been shown a lot and will probably get its own direct anyway (where Kamiya reminds us of the release date over and over :grin:).

Except this time, he'll totally do it on purpose :laughing:

So unless they're bringing forward amiibo for MK8 or have some significant surprises, there doesn't seem to be that much left for a general Direct. :hmm: Makes me think it'll be more focused on 3DS... Theatrhythm, Fantasy Life, Pokémon, etc. ::shrug:

You're probably right here. Apart from a possible N64 Wii U VC announcement (FUCKING FINALLY!!1!), I wouldn't bet on anything else for Wii U (Project Zero 5 for US/EU would be nice though ;) )

Here's hoping.

Bayonetta 2 date, Smash Wii U date *coughNovembercough*, ORAS stuff, new eShop games, maybe Mario Kart DLC, amiibo stuff etc.

There's plenty

Dan Adelman waves goodbye to Nintendo.

In an e-mail interview on Sunday, Adelman confirmed that he was leaving Nintendo to go independent, and said his former employer has been supportive of the move. Still, Adelman acknowledged that he was frustrated with the company's tendency to clamp him down when he said something that didn't mesh with the corporate message.

"I think people were kind of on pins and needles about anything untoward I might say," Adelman told me. "And every once in a while, I'd give an answer that people didn't like, and some people would freak out, so they tried to scale things back. First they had me do interviews with someone from PR or marketing. Later they just decided that I shouldn't be in the press at all anymore."

Schreier: For starters, why did you leave? Are you leaving the company on good terms?

Adelman: I guess the short answer is that I'm going indie! As the indie games business matures, a real need for business expertise has started to develop. I've been working with the indie community for almost 9 years now, and one consistent theme I've noticed is this tension between developers following their passion to make the game they want to make and needing to be able to make a living doing it. Unfortunately, though, there are a lot of business types who at best just don't get what indies are trying to do, or at worst are pretty much unethical.

So even though a lot of indie development studios may really want to have someone helping them out with marketing, business development, strategy and all that, there's really no one to turn to. I've given a lot of business advice to different developers over the years which I think has been helpful, but I think to do it right and really help the indie scene grow to its real potential, it needs to be a full time thing. So what I'm planning on doing is working directly with several indie game studios as their business guy – whatever that really means. In the same way that a core dev studio needs a programmer, designer, artist, and sound person, I think there's also a need for a business person. It's definitely a different kind of role than the other ones, but it can be really critical, since one smart business decision can cut your costs in half or double your sales – and vice versa.

Nintendo has been really supportive of this move. I think everyone there has known for a while that my passion has always really been about helping the indie community develop and thrive, so even though everyone was really surprised when I gave my 2-week notice, they all understood and wished me the best. I couldn't have asked for a better sendoff.

At least they seem to have parted ways on good terms.

Here's another quote from GAF.

"I had been strongly encouraged to stay off of Twitter—or at least say only things that were clearly safe—so after the region-locking comment they just said I needed to stop completely," Adelman said. "When people started complaining that I wasn't active on Twitter anymore, it was suggested that a PR person could just post in my name. I thought that was about the worst idea I'd ever heard, so I left it as is and let the silence speak for itself."

Sad to see him go, but if he says himself that he left on good terms and that the team behind indie relations are capable even without him, then I'm inclined to believe him.

Dan is notorious for being blunt (in fact that's what got him banned from using Twitter after all!), so I wouldn't imagine that he'd sugar coat anything here. And while it is a big loss for Nintendo, I imagine that he'd still be working alongside the many devs who would still be releasing games on the eShop anyway.

If only they'd stop shooting themselves in the feet with dumb and outdated policies, bad PR and stupid decisions...

Ha. Of the few people's names I know in Nintendo I remember Dan Adelman's from the article previously about him being the guy for sort of helping along indie relations - something I was excited to see and know about. However from what I've seen, or rather not seen, since reading that article I'd say it's no wonder he's left the company. To me, it seemed like he was a guy in a post that didn't really get to do his job - why have someone to make relations yet there's not really enough relations being made, at least from the things I see?

Nintendo need to really fucking shape up in this. First the post about Iwata's views, and now this, yet to me it's probably the most important thing they need to work and focus on. Even forget Online for this, get those western and indie devs on board!

Here's hoping he can get the work done from the other side though. Take the studios to the devs and make a point with the knowledge he's gained, rather than the other way round. Only problem is with someone like that, if Nintendo are going to be saying No or making devs jump through too many hoops he'll know just how to go about taking it to MS or Sony instead.

Edited by Rummy

To be fair, he quit...he wasn't fired.

Nintendo do need to alter some of their policies and they do need more communion with the community. However, I have seen how hostile and disgusting the community can be to Nintendo, and that's from their fans, so I can see why they may not.

I just hope the indie team manages to continue being awesome, and the new head isn't afraid to push for certain policies like Adelman did.

Edited by Serebii

Wait...he wasn't allowed to tweet?

They forbade him to tweet?

Then they wanted a PR guy to make tweets in his name?

:blank:

Wait...he wasn't allowed to tweet?

They forbade him to tweet?

Then they wanted a PR guy to make tweets in his name?

:blank:

I'd suggest you adjust your tone before I start adjusting your posts. Then maybe ban you. None of us came here for opinions so keep them to yourself, all right? Follow the party line - Nintendo is good. Nintendo is god.