NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Not the Wii version but I have played the handheld ones. I played DKC on Wii but the waggle roll thing annoyed me too much to really enjoy it, though I'm guessing that won't be an issue if I can play Tropical Freeze with the Pro Controller?

I'm shamlessly stealing the following from Gaf...!

''From 1990-2000. Nintendo of America had production and management autonomy from Japan. NOA basically culminated its own production team, along a few co-designers, and started funding and producing games with developers.

DMA Design: Uni Racers, Body Harvest (Nintendo dropped it in 1997, Midway took it)

Angel Studios: Ken Griffey Baseball, Buggie Boogie (canceled)

Bits Studios: Warlocked, Riqa (canceled)

Rare: Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark

Software Creations: Ken Griffey Baseball, Tin Star

Silicon Knights: Eternal Darkness (N64 version)

Left Field Productions: Kobey Bryant in NBA Courtside, Excitebike 64

Looking Glass Studio: Mini Racers (canceled)

Mass Media: Star Craft 64

H20: Tetrisphere

Saffire Corp: Nester's Funky Bowling, James Bond 007

Midway: Cruisn Series

Nintendo of America also procured the Ken Griffey and MLBPA license, NHL License, Kobe Bryant and NBA license, PGA license, Disney license, James Bond license, StarCraft license. Star Wars Episode I license. They were producing their own first-party games separate from Nintendo of Japan.

That all changed when Iwata transitioned from Global Marketing Chief to President. NOA Production was killed, and Nintendo of Japan's SPD Department took over all Western development (Star Fox Adventures, Geist, Eternal Darkness GC).

Henry Sterchi, Brian Ullrich, Ken Lobb, Ed Ridgeway, Jeff Hutt, Faran Thomason, and the whole crew left NOA to Microsoft and other developers. Since then, we've seen the Western model we have today. Western developers reporting directly to Japanese management, and pretty much making B/C sequels to Nintendo IPs.''

It's a shame NoA literally have no power anymore. With Iwata the CEO of NoA and Reggie only the President (responsible for Low to Medium level decision making), I fear we still won't see a strong understanding of western gaming needs. Howard Lincoln used to sit on the board of directors for Nintendo but Reggie never has.

If that's true that is pretty damning. Iwata is without doubt the worst thing that happened to Nintendo.

It's funny because this is how Square Enix use to work before they realised it wasn't working. It's precisely why they bought Eidos (and in the process have the best Tomb Raider to date to their name and a great Deus Ex game).

If that's true that is pretty damning. Iwata is without doubt the worst thing that happened to Nintendo.

It's funny because this is how Square Enix use to work before they realised it wasn't working. It's precisely why they bought Eidos (and in the process have the best Tomb Raider to date to their name and a great Deus Ex game).

I'm not quite sure what the benefit is of focusing on creating partnerships with Eastern 3rd parties exclusively. Metroid: Other M, Hyrule Warriors and other such games may appeal to Japanese console games but Japan isn't into home consoles anymore. I'm surprised Nintendo haven't announced something with Telltale games and other Western developers tbh. I could see a Fire Emblem Telltales game doing quite well.

I feel for Reggie. The bloke may as well not be there, such is his position.

a Fire Emblem Telltales game

Holy shit. That is an amazing idea. : peace:

Shame we'll never see something like that. :(

Holy shit. That is an amazing idea. : peace:

Shame we'll never see something like that. :(

Lego Nintendo?

:awesome:

Lego Nintendo?

:awesome:

I'd like that. The Lego games I've played and enjoyed all have voice acting. It brings the game to life and adds so much to the experience. Nintendo won't allow that though.

TBH, if Nintendo were to work with Telltale Games on a project, forget Fire Emblem, give them F Zero. If they don't want to make a new racer, they could give them the license to make a story based game focusing on Captain Falcon and his bounty hunting escapades. Instant win!

Sweet Jesus...Telltale Games and F-Zero, Lego Nintendo...

HHHNNNNNGGGGG!

I want this now.

I finally did it!!!

5BBD0025-BD2C-4AEA-927A-627B310E17FD_zpsxw8bh18y.jpg

Aaaand got absolutely nothing for it... :mad:

In other news...

CEA35537-3227-4671-BBF5-BE1CDDDE8255_zpscqjieepd.jpg

Imma say yes... Yes it is. :D

Gamescom lineup.

Wii U:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 1

Bayonetta 2

Yoshi’s Woolly World

Mario Party 10

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyrics

Splatoon

Mario Kart 8

Nintendo 3DS:

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Fantasy Life

Disney Magical World

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

Captain Toad. :(

I'm shamlessly stealing the following from Gaf...!

''From 1990-2000. Nintendo of America had production and management autonomy from Japan. NOA basically culminated its own production team, along a few co-designers, and started funding and producing games with developers.

DMA Design: Uni Racers, Body Harvest (Nintendo dropped it in 1997, Midway took it)

Angel Studios: Ken Griffey Baseball, Buggie Boogie (canceled)

Bits Studios: Warlocked, Riqa (canceled)

Rare: Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark

Software Creations: Ken Griffey Baseball, Tin Star

Silicon Knights: Eternal Darkness (N64 version)

Left Field Productions: Kobey Bryant in NBA Courtside, Excitebike 64

Looking Glass Studio: Mini Racers (canceled)

Mass Media: Star Craft 64

H20: Tetrisphere

Saffire Corp: Nester's Funky Bowling, James Bond 007

Midway: Cruisn Series

Nintendo of America also procured the Ken Griffey and MLBPA license, NHL License, Kobe Bryant and NBA license, PGA license, Disney license, James Bond license, StarCraft license. Star Wars Episode I license. They were producing their own first-party games separate from Nintendo of Japan.

That all changed when Iwata transitioned from Global Marketing Chief to President. NOA Production was killed, and Nintendo of Japan's SPD Department took over all Western development (Star Fox Adventures, Geist, Eternal Darkness GC).

Henry Sterchi, Brian Ullrich, Ken Lobb, Ed Ridgeway, Jeff Hutt, Faran Thomason, and the whole crew left NOA to Microsoft and other developers. Since then, we've seen the Western model we have today. Western developers reporting directly to Japanese management, and pretty much making B/C sequels to Nintendo IPs.''

It's a shame NoA literally have no power anymore. With Iwata the CEO of NoA and Reggie only the President (responsible for Low to Medium level decision making), I fear we still won't see a strong understanding of western gaming needs. Howard Lincoln used to sit on the board of directors for Nintendo but Reggie never has.

I think that's incredibly telling of some of Nintendo's decline. They really really need more western representation and input, the West is their biggest market and they're just largely fucking us off. Sony's getting it together in this respect has really impressed me, as much as I oft wish to dislike them, I wish Nintendo would see through whatever bullshit's stopping them and really engage with it. Definitely makes me think Iwata isn't good for the company where he is.

Remember when I posted recently that our local ASDA has re-introduced WiiU games? I've been in there today and they've seemingly "cut down" the separate Wii and 3/DS sections into just one section named "Nintendo". So, you have about 3 or 4 rows of DS games and about the same for Wii games. I didn't see any WiiU games at all there.

I wonder what the approach has been towards Nintendo nationwide. Wouldn't surprise me if supermarket stores were cutting back.

Just realized that the Wii U doesn't have an Ethernet port.

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

Not sure whether to laugh or to...nah, I'll laugh...

Yeah, that would have been nice

Ridiculous, until you consider how much there really is to properly play online. :p

"Would have been nice" :laughing:

It should be a given for a console. Ethernet beats WiFi by a mile when it comes to online gam...ohhh...

Edit: @Sheikah was faster :p

Thanks, I'll pass. I've paid enough for a console that I'll barely use until Smash gets released next year.

Heh :p

Really?! Considering the PS4 stand is £16 (for a utterly pointless piece of plastic), £15 for an ethernet adapter is pretty reasonable.

£10-15 for this sort of thing seems fine to me. The reviews seem to be good as well, so it's a seemingly well made piece of kit. I wouldn't pay more than that for it, though.

Really?! Considering the PS4 stand is £16 (for a utterly pointless piece of plastic), £15 for an ethernet adapter is pretty reasonable.

One of those is priced high, the other is just ridiculous. :p

Really though, £15 for a port to slot an ethernet cable seems pretty steep to me. It's really old tech, and it's also compensating for something that should really be there to begin with.

I guess I'm not surprised, but the price for goods still doesn't seem right.

For instance:

41P0ADbd8tL.jpg

^ £1.78.

One of those is priced high, the other is just ridiculous. :p

Really though, £15 for a port to slot an ethernet cable seems pretty steep to me. It's really old tech, and it's also compensating for something that should really be there to begin with.

I guess I'm not surprised, but the price for goods still doesn't seem right.

For instance:

41P0ADbd8tL.jpg

^ £1.78.

And what's the quality of that cheap one? Will it work? Short out? Fall apart?

This is old/standardised tech, you can pretty much expect these things to work, yeah.

Any ideas why Nintendo omitted Ethernet? Surely such a ubiquitous connection doesn't come with excessive licensing fees?