NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Parents got me the external hard drive. Can finally get back to downloading my stuff again. No more fridge reorganisation

I'm surprised you lasted this long without one, I've had mine for the best part of a year and it has been a god-send. :heart:

One thing to point out though... depending on how your hard drive works - mine goes into standby when not accessed for a few mins - it's good practice to check your friend list or something before coming out of a retail game and going straight to the home menu as mine seems to freeze the console if you try to go straight from the game to home if the hard drive has gone quiet.

Aside from that little anomaly, all works fine : peace: seems there is always a compromise though. :heh:

I'm thinking I should get an external hard drive at some point, currently using a USB flash drive. :heh:

It works perfectly mind you, and has the benefit of not requiring an additional power supply, but I keep hearing stories about how they can easily go tits up with too much use. :hmm:

It's a shame you can't just keep save files on the Wii U system itself, and game files on external storage. If it was like that, I'd definitely stick with using USB flash drives. ;)

Edited by RedShell

I'm surprised you lasted this long without one, I've had mine for the best part of a year and it has been a god-send. :heart:

One thing to point out though... depending on how your hard drive works - mine goes into standby when not accessed for a few mins - it's good practice to check your friend list or something before coming out of a retail game and going straight to the home menu as mine seems to freeze the console if you try to go straight from the game to home if the hard drive has gone quiet.

Aside from that little anomaly, all works fine : peace: seems there is always a compromise though. :heh:

When I started running out of space, I got creative. Deleted a load of third party patches and that cleared up about 3GB so that was enough. Never downloaded Game & Wario after redeeming it in May with Mario Kart. Since then, all I've really been doing is downloading Virtual Console games and they're like 50MB each so plenty of space for them.

So far today, I have downloaded Game & Wario again, and Armillo which I have been wanting for a while but holding off. Got a load of eShop vouchers today, too, so don't have to worry too much about putting money on any time soon.

I'll check on that anomaly. I got the Seagate one I recommended to @yesteryeargames the other week after friends got it. Works wonders so far. Was concerned things would be iffy on the Wii U menu, but it works fast and seamlessly

Edited by Serebii

I'm thinking I should get an external hard drive at some point, currently using a USB flash drive. :heh:

It works perfectly mind you, and has the benefit of not requiring an additional power supply, but I keep hearing stories about how they can easily go tits up with too much use. :hmm:

It's a shame you can't just keep save files on the Wii U system itself, and game files on external storage. If it was like that, I'd definitely stick with using USB flash drives. ;)

what usb drive are you using?

I tried one and it didn't work and I now have a 2TB hard drive plugged into the Wii U with about 2 games on it!

what usb drive are you using?

I tried one and it didn't work and I now have a 2TB hard drive plugged into the Wii U with about 2 games on it!

It's a Lexar 8GB flash drive.

Only got eShop/VC titles on it (all of my retail downloads are still on the Wii U system memory) but yeah, it works a treat. :)

My hard drive is amazing. It's a SeaGate one (think it's 2TB, or 1TB?), but I needed one as I have the Basic console... so 8gb is just not enough! :heh:

Although, if I had to choose again I'd always go for that set up as I prefer the white console / game pad. :heh:

I have had zero problems with me external drive. It behaves itself perfectly! : peace:

Would definitely recommend it to anyone with a few titles downloaded. I have a fair few (TW101, NSMBU, NSLBU, Rayman Legends) and I haven't claimed my Mario Kart free game yet which I only just relaised I need to do TONIGHT! :o

So yeah, for me external drive is the way to go! :D

I probably would need an external hard drive if it wasnt for Nintendo not having the proper account services. There are loads of Virtual Console games I would get and would probably have bought my bigger games digitally if I knew they would always be linked to me but at the moment I am still hesitant to buy any of that stuff.

What HDD did you get? There might be a tool to stop it from going to sleep because that sounds really annoying.

What HDD did you get? There might be a tool to stop it from going to sleep because that sounds really annoying.

Toshiba 1TB Hard Drive, yeah it's a bit annoying when it happens but I've learnt to live with it I guess. ::shrug:

DIHY7i3.jpg

I really like the white one, the black one, not so much. I'd love to do this but scared I'd ruin 2 perfectly good controllers. Has anybody tried this or are they tempted? I haven't messed about with controllers since the Gamecube. If I did do this I'd keep the white controller and try to sell the black one. I'd have to import the white controller first of all.

Show and Tell With Our Favorite Nintendo Collectibles

^ That was actually a pretty good video, I'd urge anyone interested in Nintendo/videogame history to give it a watch, some really nice collectables in there too. :)

You're right, it was very interesting and a real history lesson into Nintendo products both released and canned. I'm playing Earthbound at the minute and loving it so it was nice to hear about its past.

Show and Tell With Our Favorite Nintendo Collectibles

AzNGJGBkers

Thanks for posting this, very interesting stuff in that video. I love hearing about the 64DD, i wish Nintendo would release some of this stuff on the eshop at some point.

Also I had no idea Peers face was in Perfect Dark haha

Edited by Helmsly

Called Nintendo today re status of my repair. They have had it now for 3 weeks. Apparently they are "inundated" with the amount of work at the moment which I find completely unbelievable.

Called Nintendo today re status of my repair. They have had it now for 3 weeks. Apparently they are "inundated" with the amount of work at the moment which I find completely unbelievable.

so they haven't done anything as yet? inundated or not, I would expect if they received it 3 weeks ago they would at least have done something... even looking at it would be a good start!

My guess is they must have cut back on staff in that department. How did they manage to cope with the Wii at its height? I had a Gamecube and Wii repaired before and there was no delay at all. It was very quick and painless. 3 weeks and still nothing done is ridiculous.

@Wii is probably right with this one. It does seem unusual. Quite rare as well because I'm sure that Nintendo's customer service is meant to be good. Still, three weeks isn't great. You might want to raise it with them once you get it back...eventually.

Aw well.. at least it's not like you have anything to play anyway, @Blade :indeed:

I'm having one of those days where I'm feeling dissatisfied with my Wii U :heh:

Aw well.. at least it's not like you have anything to play anyway, @Blade :indeed:

I'm having one of those days where I'm feeling dissatisfied with my Wii U :heh:

Well you're in the right place!

I'm shamlessly stealing the following from Gaf...!

''From 1990-2000. Nintendo of America had production and management autonomy from Japan. NOA basically culminated its own production team, along a few co-designers, and started funding and producing games with developers.

DMA Design: Uni Racers, Body Harvest (Nintendo dropped it in 1997, Midway took it)

Angel Studios: Ken Griffey Baseball, Buggie Boogie (canceled)

Bits Studios: Warlocked, Riqa (canceled)

Rare: Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark

Software Creations: Ken Griffey Baseball, Tin Star

Silicon Knights: Eternal Darkness (N64 version)

Left Field Productions: Kobey Bryant in NBA Courtside, Excitebike 64

Looking Glass Studio: Mini Racers (canceled)

Mass Media: Star Craft 64

H20: Tetrisphere

Saffire Corp: Nester's Funky Bowling, James Bond 007

Midway: Cruisn Series

Nintendo of America also procured the Ken Griffey and MLBPA license, NHL License, Kobe Bryant and NBA license, PGA license, Disney license, James Bond license, StarCraft license. Star Wars Episode I license. They were producing their own first-party games separate from Nintendo of Japan.

That all changed when Iwata transitioned from Global Marketing Chief to President. NOA Production was killed, and Nintendo of Japan's SPD Department took over all Western development (Star Fox Adventures, Geist, Eternal Darkness GC).

Henry Sterchi, Brian Ullrich, Ken Lobb, Ed Ridgeway, Jeff Hutt, Faran Thomason, and the whole crew left NOA to Microsoft and other developers. Since then, we've seen the Western model we have today. Western developers reporting directly to Japanese management, and pretty much making B/C sequels to Nintendo IPs.''

It's a shame NoA literally have no power anymore. With Iwata the CEO of NoA and Reggie only the President (responsible for Low to Medium level decision making), I fear we still won't see a strong understanding of western gaming needs. Howard Lincoln used to sit on the board of directors for Nintendo but Reggie never has.

Should I be buying New Super Mario Bros U or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze as my 2D platformer of choice?

Should I be buying New Super Mario Bros U or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze as my 2D platformer of choice?

Donkey Kong without a doubt.

I own neither. Did you play New Super Mario Bros Wii? If you did, I'd be tempted to go for Tropical Freeze instead.