NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

They do have a proper account system...

If you say it enough, it doesn't make it true.

If you say it enough, it doesn't make it true.

It is proper.

It's cross platform. Purchases are tied to them. You can transfer to other consoles. It's legit

It is proper.

It's cross platform. Purchases are tied to them. You can transfer to other consoles. It's legit

Well it's you versus nearly everyone else who has considerable experience with competitor accounts. The Wii U account system is a joke compared to the others.

Well it's you versus nearly everyone else who has considerable experience with competitor accounts. The Wii U account system is a joke compared to the others.

It may not be perfect, but saying that they don't have a proper account system is disingenuous. All it doesn't do now is crossbuy of VC titles, and allow you to log in on other consoles while it's already linked to one. Everything else is bloody fine. Get over it.

No, no, no.

Do you guys not see? Nintendo's is the industry standard.

The PS3 & Xbox 360 were actually next-next-next-gen consoles that travelled back in time and released early, that's why it seems Nintendo's is behind the times, when in reality the Sony and Microsoft consoles are ahead of their time. The PS4 & XBO should've actually released in the year 2108.

That's what Serebii is getting at, right?

It may not be perfect, but saying that they don't have a proper account system is disingenuous. All it doesn't do now is crossbuy of VC titles, and allow you to log in on other consoles while it's already linked to one. Everything else is bloody fine. Get over it.

No, it isn't. And this is something you need to get over, as you clearly have difficulty with this one - the informed customer decides what is 'proper'. I know how much more sophisticated the other account systems are, so to me the Wii U's account system is not 'proper'.

If I were to say something like 'now that is a proper car', would you honestly be so naive to think I am plainly stating 'there is a machine 4 wheels and a motor'? Or do you think I'm saying 'that is a good car'?

No, no, no.

The PS3 & Xbox 360 were actually next-next-next-gen consoles that travelled back in time and released early, that's why it seems Nintendo's is behind the times, when in reality the Sony and Microsoft consoles are ahead of their time. The PS4 & XBO should've actually released in the year 2108.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying people are ignoring the facts about Nintendo's account system.

No, it isn't. And this is something you need to get over, as you clearly have difficulty with this one - the informed customer decides what is 'proper'. I know how much more sophisticated the other account systems are, so to me the Wii U's account system is not 'proper'.

If I were to say something like 'now that is a proper car', would you honestly be so naive to think I am plainly stating 'there is a machine 4 wheels and a motor'? Or do you think I'm saying 'that is a good car'?

Ah I see. Now Nintendo have matched previous requirements, you're just splitting hairs. Ok. I'll drop this since I can't win against such ridiculous logic.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying people are ignoring the facts about Nintendo's account system.

Ah I see. Now Nintendo have matched previous requirements, you're just splitting hairs. Ok. I'll drop this since I can't win against such ridiculous logic.

What previous requirements? It it has never matched any of my requirements. It is shit.

What previous requirements? It it has never matched any of my requirements. It is shit.

Cross Platform

Software tied to it

Transferrable

etc.

It is proper.

So I can transfer my purchases if I no longer have the original console with the purchases?

Because this has been the single biggest complaint for ages (and it something Nintendo have been able to do since the Wii, but only choose to do it themselves and under certain circumstances).

Until it allows such a thing to happen (as in, the customer can initiate it), it isn't a proper account system.

Edited by Cube

Cross Platform

Software tied to it

Transferrable

etc.

You forgot:

Cloud saving

Redownload your titles on another machine if your original breaks or you lose it or want to sell it (does NOT match competition). No fucking way do I want to buy download titles because of it.

Party chat

So no, it is not a proper account system that delivers what many gamers now take for granted.

You forgot:

Cloud saving

Redownload your titles on another machine if your original breaks or you lose it or want to sell it (does NOT match competition). No fucking way do I want to buy download titles because of it.

Party chat

So no, it is not a proper account system that delivers what many gamers now take for granted.

1. Since when was that a necessity with accounts?

2. I agree they need this

3. See #1. That wasn't even standard on Xbox One until a couple of months ago, and the PS3 didn't have it.

1. Since when was that a necessity with accounts?

Since the consumer decided it so.

2. I agree they need this

Good. Then now you see how it doesn't have a proper account system.

3. See #1. That wasn't even standard on Xbox One until a couple of months ago, and the PS3 didn't have it.

Question: Do PS4 and X1 currently have this? If yes, then again, the Wii U account system isn't comparable.

No, no, no.

If Nintendo was actually decent there would have been no need for me to send my console on and wait 3 weeks for it to be fixed with a 50 quid charge that I cannot afford to pay until Friday. It's a joke.

What should have happened was

1) Clear the Wii U up and restore it to factory settings

2) Redownload everything from Nintendo's back-up service.

Done.

I think it's fair to be lenient on Nintendo on the cloud saves and party chat. It is free, after all.

It's just the big issue of transferring game licenses to your new system if you no longer have your old one that's the main thing wrong with the "account" system.

I must admit, if Nintendo had a similar system in place to that of even the PS3 whereby you can automatically backup your game saves to cloud storage and re-download all the game you've paid for on a new console if something goes wrong then I'd feel a lot more secure about the future of all of the VC titles etc that I currently have downloaded on my Wii U because currently even though I have a 1TB hard drive... it's actually useless if something happens to the original Wii U that it was formatted for. :blank:

Of course I understand the reasons, piracy etc but it would just be reassuring to know that there are fail-safes in place for if the worst does ever happen.

After buying a PS4 last week my Wii U has now been packed back in its box. There may be a few cheeky VC games that arrive but as far as retail releases go it's not worth having the console out just gathering dust. I may do a Dcubed and just let what titles will arrive this year gather up and then unpack the thing at the end of the year.

Of course I understand the reasons, piracy etc but it would just be reassuring to know that there are fail-safes in place for if the worst does ever happen.

There was a fail-safe for the Wii. If your original was stolen and you emailed a copy of the police report along with your old console's serial code or friend code and your new Wii's serial number, then they could push a few buttons and 15 minutes later, the Wii Shop Channel is transferred to your new Wii, so you could redownload all the titles you owned and even had any points that were on your Wii Shop Channel account.

They seem to only do this for this one particular circumstance.

All you need to do to prevent piracy is quite simple: one online system-wide transfer per year, which is what happens on the Xbox (XBL and PSN also allow you to sign in on any console an play while you're logged in, but one step at a time).

@Guy @liger05

Seriously, I wasn't being serious as I had seriously hoped this would illustrate:

people would spend their time walking to friends house rather than playing/buying games.

Since you're going to argue all day about what a "proper account" is i'll provide some assistance. To me an "account" (in this instance) simply requires a log in with a user name and password, I think at the most fundamental level, that's what a computer account is, right? Nintendo have a "proper" account, that's indisputable.

Is it comparative to the competition? Does it meet expectations? Hell no! There are some insane omissions to Nintendo's implementation; a system transfer should be able to be done without both consoles (lost, faulty) - this should include cloud save data and if necessary restrictions be put in place to ensure games are not inappropriately shared. NNID should be able to be split from one console, installed on another. Logging in elsewhere should enable me to track my stats across devices and upload them to an online profile (this was promised with the N64 Memory Pak and still hasn't materialised!). Families should be able to share digital games on individual (portable) devices. All this takes time and effort in an area where Nintendo historically shows very little interest. It's maddening and I can't personally see this changing, a blanket restriction like we have requires little effort, is cheaper and (for the market Nintendo are still trying to reach) easy to understand.

If Nintendo was actually decent there would have been no need for me to send my console on and wait 3 weeks for it to be fixed with a 50 quid charge that I cannot afford to pay until Friday. It's a joke.

What should have happened was

1) Clear the Wii U up and restore it to factory settings

2) Redownload everything from Nintendo's back-up service.

Done.

Are you saying you can't afford £50 for the repair, yet can afford to buy a second Wii U?

Anyway, funny this is the current discussion, Nintendo have released an update for the Wii U that allows system transfers. Probably would have been useful for Blade as long as he could still get to the menu (what was your problem with the Wii U again?).

Edit: Update also add compatability for the navigating the eShop with a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller or Classic Controllers nm :)

Edited by Ike

Since you're going to argue all day about what a "proper account" is i'll provide some assistance. To me an "account" (in this instance) simply requires a log in with a user name and password, I think at the most fundamental level, that's what a computer account is, right? Nintendo have a "proper" account, that's indisputable.

To me, 'proper' has always meant relatively good. It's still inarguably an account, but like I said before, you wouldn't say 'that's a proper car' about a shit car, would you?

No, it's a good thing! I appreciate being able to put my card info in privately! (and quite frankly, I'm amazed it took them this long to change that!)

The Gamepad isn't going anywhere, so they should be making use of it! It was always silly that you couldn't browse the eShop with any other controller, but the way it is used now makes absolute perfect sense.

I Don't understand why you can use the gamepad to browse but then you must pick up the gamepad to make a purchase. How about an option where you can choose to not to input details privately?

My details are stored on the server and just need to enter the password. I don't see why they cant be done without the gamepad when browsing can be done without the gamepad.

Anyway, funny this is the current discussion, Nintendo have released an update for the Wii U that allows system transfers. Probably would have been useful for Blade as long as he could still get to the menu (what was your problem with the Wii U again?).

The discussion is because of the update. The transfer still requires that your old and new Wii Us are both in your possession and working.

The discussion is because of the update. The transfer still requires that your old and new Wii Us are both in your possession and working.

Oh right, I missed Wii's post (somehow, it was big enough), thought the discussion was started from Blade's update from Nintendo on his repair.

Are you saying you can't afford £50 for the repair, yet can afford to buy a second Wii U?

Edit: Update also add compatability for the navigating the eShop with a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller or Classic Controllers nm :)

Nope saying that i can't afford the 50 quid while Friday.

I'm saying the perfect scenario would for me to wipe the contents of the Wii U and download everything again from the cloud. My Wii U froze and made a buzzing sound on system start up. You can just press up, A, B and start together whilst the system is starting up to access settings.

I can wipe off all content from my iphone right now and then redownload everything. It would be good if I could've done this with the Wii U.