NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I played Mario Kart 8 yesterday, my first time playing a Wii U. And I now want to buy one for that game and Smash. If only the online had voice chat, it would be too funny. Battle mode is so much fun.

Finally, someone else who likes mario karts battle mode too! I love it!

We lasted about 30 seconds on the battle mode before switching it off never to play again. And I thought it couldn't get any worse after MKWii!

battle mode with cpu does work better than on mkwii, at least on certain tracks. It's almost more a game of picking off opponents one by one. You do need to both see the map though...

Personally, I just don't want to play battle mode against the cpu. I want to play against only my mates, in a nice (not too big!) self-contained arena. Is that really so much to ask?

Personally, I just don't want to play battle mode against the cpu. I want to play against only my mates, in a nice (not too big!) self-contained arena. Is that really so much to ask?

yup, battle mode in mk8 would be a good complement to previous battle modes, but it's not a good replacement

battle mode with cpu does work better than on mkwii, at least on certain tracks. It's almost more a game of picking off opponents one by one. You do need to both see the map though...

Who plays the CPU. Get a friend, split screen, then get online. That's where the fun is.

I've had Summer Games Done Quick streaming all week through my Wii U browser thanks to the HTML5 Twitch player.

If only you could have the browser playing on one screen and a Wii U game on the other, this would be the most fucking amazing browser ever.

I keep thinking that myself, tend to start watching stuff through plex's web interface on my wii u after the MK league, but it's like...I want a quick break and would carry on with some single and having something sort of background would be nice at the same time. Of course, it's a massive sign of what some would argue is wrong with our times - the fact we've got so much entertainment on hand and it's not quite enough, but I'm wholly guilty given I spend a large chunk of my time in front of two screens too.

I was gonna post a topic about this the other day, after listening to the podcast. Given the lack of response in the other topic I created I figured why bother? :heh:

Yeah, it was an interesting segment on the podcast and I actually found myself nodding in agreement as I was listening to it. The pad still has no killer ap game that shows that the Gamepad is needed and the offerings at E3 did little to change my mind, or the NVC guys as it seems.

But it is possible to create great gameplay opportunities with the gamepad. It's just what they showed at E3 were and looked like $h1t. Awful efforts that should be flushed down the toilet never to be seen again. This is what Miyamoto does with his time now? Sad.

Edited by Wii

The guy wearing the cheque shirt in that IGN vid is such a donut. :indeed:

In fact they're all donuts. The only one I can just about tolerate is the German dude, as he at least appears to have some common sense.

But yeah, you can't spell IGNorance without it... :heh:

The guy wearing the cheque shirt in that IGN vid is such a donut. :indeed:

In fact they're all donuts. The only one I can just about tolerate is the German dude, as he at least appears to have some common sense.

But yeah, you can't spell IGNorance without it... :heh:

Really? I think they are a great cast. They tell it how it is and try not to skirt around issues. It's the same as the NWR guys. It's why I enjoy listening to both of these podcasts on a weekly basis.

Ah well, each to their own and all that.::shrug:

I was gonna post a topic about this the other day, after listening to the podcast. Given the lack of response in the other topic I created I figured why bother? :heh:

Yeah, it was an interesting segment on the podcast and I actually found myself nodding in agreement as I was listening to it. The pad still has no killer ap game that shows that the Gamepad is needed and the offerings at E3 did little to change my mind, or the NVC guys as it seems.

I think they are struggling to come up with a killer app which sells the game pad. It's nearly 2 years and still nothing.

Really? I think they are a great cast. They tell it how it is and try not to skirt around issues. It's the same as the NWR guys. It's why I enjoy listening to both of these podcasts on a weekly basis.

I agree. They're very enjoyable. I had hated IGN for a long time during the Wii days but these are good. They don't sugar coat things and call things as they are. If they didn't I wouldn't respect them. As far as I can tell they always have Jose, Peer and Brian with then some other IGN member sitting in each week. This time being Colin.

Edited by Wii

They are all brilliant imo and I loved their discussion. They briefly mentioned the PS4 controller and it's touchpad but it's worth remembering that the gamepad significantly increases the cost of the console whereas the PS4's touchpad doesn't.

Also, the guy who said Nintendo's USP should be the games is spot on. People aren't excited about Mario Kart 8 because of the gamepad..they are excited because it's freakin' Mario Kart.

I think they are struggling to come up with a killer app which sells the game pad. It's nearly 2 years and still nothing.

This was the Wii U's 4th E3...

I agree. They're very enjoyable. I had hated IGN for a long time during the Wii days but these are good. They don't sugar coat things and call things as they are. If they didn't I wouldn't respect them. As far as I can tell they always have Jose, Peer and Brian with then some other IGN member sitting in sitting in each week. This time being Colin.

Jose always tries to be the level headed one. I love Brian. I think he can be hilarious at times. :D

I've got great ideas for the gamepad and it didn't take me 2 years. I think Nintendo are being Nintendo and don't want to risk investing heavily in a gamepad idea that might flop.

Here's another fantastic IGN podcast, discussing Shovel Knight and whether it's a GOTY contender.

This is my GOTY so far and they completely nail what makes it so awesome.

^ It's just a shame that they can't 'dig up' an EU release date for the Wii U & 3DS versions yet. :heh:

I hope that when they are announced that there will at least be a deal for buying both versions to compensate for the painful wait. ;)

^ It's just a shame that they can't 'dig up' an EU release date for the Wii U & 3DS versions yet. :heh:

I hope that when they are announced that there will at least be a deal for buying both versions to compensate for the painful wait. ;)

Yeah I had to play my review copy on Steam with a keyboard which was difficult :( This thing is just begging to be played on Wii U with a Wiimote :D

It's not their fault that they're being made jump through so many hoops by PEGI.

Also, the guy who said Nintendo's USP should be the games is spot on. People aren't excited about Mario Kart 8 because of the gamepad..they are excited because it's freakin' Mario Kart.

Have always believed this. It’s why I don’t understand why people seem to think the only way Nintendo can be a success is by being ‘different’ from the rest and coming up with gimmicks.

Their software is the differentiator.

There's just such an arrogance to them (especially the 2 on the right) and they come across as total dicks because of it. :nono:

No way I could listen to these guys every week!

But like you said, each to their own.

: peace:

I'm with RedShell here. Jose and Peer are always on top form and are clearly fans and know what they're on about. Brian has his moments, but that Colin guy was just so abrasive and so negative.

I have always maintained that the Gamepad is more evolutionary, rather than revolutionary. Sure, it's not massively innovative and there's no "killer software" to "justify" it, but there doesn't need to be. It streamlines how games are played in my view. Just having map and inventory on the screen without pausing taking you out of the game and taking a few seconds to load (urgh, GTA...sort it out), it's right there in front of you. It's things like that which make me love the GamePad, not any "revolutionary" crap.

As Peer said, people don't ask for Sony to justify things in their controller, so why Nintendo? It's a part of their system, get over it. Any innovative use for the GamePad will be met with hostility anyway, just look at the reactions to the description of how it's used in StarFox.

Edited by Serebii