NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Is toad definitely 2014 then? I'd be happy with that. And they all appeal to me, I'll get them all, and with 3DS more than enough. I think just more for Nintendo, the Wii U success and keeping momentum, just don't think it's quite enough. Plus with the barren schedules for th either consoles Nintendo could have really capitalised on that!

Yeah, Toad is this year. I'll be day one with that and the rest of the games listed.

I agree about the momentum though, I was hoping for something in July to keep things going after Mario a Kart but sadly it doesn't seem to be the case.

The release schedule is hardly barren for the other consoles, exclusive wise yes but the amount of 3rd party games arriving easily fills the gap. For the One I'm looking forward to Alien Isolation, AC:Unity, Evolve, GTA ( never played it on the other consoles ), CoD, this years Fifa, Dragon Age: Inqusition, Destiny and exclusives Halo Collection, Fable Beta, Forza Horizions 2 and Sunset Overdrive. Hell of a lineup for me.

Splatoon looks done enough to release this year... things they may want to add but don't have the time, they could do as free DLC!

...just wishing here.

I imagine that there is a single player mode? Could be spending the time doing that.

Or the time might be required in order for Nintendo to figure out how to implement voice chat effectively :p

reagarding ubisoft, if this secret game was any good then release it and help sell consoles. we are waiting for smash to sell more wii u's, that's kind of defeatist, plus how many consoles is enough, i'm sure they would be happy with mk8 numbers, so userbase is a bit misleading, plus they are fully supporting ps4 and xb1 which right now are at similar numbers.

That's how it works though. It's down to the platform holder to sell the machine because third-parties then give the platform holder a cut of their sales. Also to be fair to Ubi they did gamble on a Wii u exclusive at launch and lost money on it.

With the Digital Event AND the Treehouse showcases, Nintendo really have knocked it out of the park this E3. Easily the best showing of the 3 console manufacturers... and for me, Splatoon is the best thing I've seen this E3 so far!

Funny how I was so ready for disappointment but I've ended up amazingly hyped... albeit for next year though.

My favourite games shown/teased:

Splatoon

Zelda

Xenoblade Chronicles X

The Witcher

No Mans Sky

The Division

I think Nintendo have had a great show. The other two were decent showings (Sunset Overdrive and No Mans sky especially) but not enough to sell me either machine where we've had 10 or so new games shown for Wii U. Mario Maker, Toads Treasure Tracker, Splattoon, Devils third, Bayonetta 1, Mario Party 10, Mario and Donkey Kong, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Art Academy, Starfox, Zelda, the two Miyamoto oddities is a long list of reveals especially as it was aligned to updates on other previously announced projects.

2014 could have done with something else to fill the release schedules but apart from that I was very impressed.

I'm actually seeing a lot of people impressed with how Nintendo went about it. The Digital Event went down well and Treehouse Live has done well too. As I have said before, I can see the others absorbing parts of the format.

Not to mention Nintendo showed more new first party games than the other two combined. Was glorious.

Honestly I think the Treehouse made up for a lot. The Digital Event was good-ish... but there were some strange decisions in there, as we've largely covered. Even some of the 'big trailers' in the event like Xenoblade Chronicles, didn't really show any gameplay. If it wasn't for the demo of that game afterwards, my opinion on that game wouldn't have taken the 180 it has based on that trailer.

Nintendo would do well to release demos or eShop lite versions of Splatoon/Mario Maker. I was more surprised to not see any VC information nor a specific amiibo title. As I've said before, an Infinity-esque game would have sold me on NFC.

Instead, Smash Bros. is the big game carrying WiiU into 2015. Judging by the reaction from last nights invitational event, that could be enough.

There still may be more information though...

Impressions:

I really enjoyed yesterday's events. Posting on the Social Media feeds for N-E was great fun (long and tiring, but fun) as people were discussing/debating and actually talking about THE GAMES for the entire evening. It was fresh, different and spawned a positive community vibe. And when the Smash event hit the passion and love for Nintendo was tangible. It felt...genuine.

Yesterday felt like a day to celebrate the Nintendo difference. A day that reminded me why I adore this company. Sure, I actually missed Iwata and the Star Fox reveal was too timid or announced too early. But you know what?

I really felt like it was a day purely about games. And it has been a long time since I felt that way when seeing expertly crafted action trailers with up-scaled graphics and set-pieces. It was also a treat for the ears, marketing terminology was gone and it was honest and passionate. The Treehouse team did a great job of conveying the fun of these games in a way that a mundane or cocky comedian presenter often doesn't show.

One look at Splatoon, Captain Toad, Mario Maker or X and I saw creativity, innovation, new IP and something for the gamers. No buzzwords. Pure games.

For me, yesterday was Nintendo's best E3 in years. : peace:

Edited by tapedeck

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how everything went down. Lots of games coming out that twist the expected Nintendo formats in fun ways. Only thing that worries me is the lack of stuff in the next few months, but I'm sure they'll bust out some announcements before the end to keep us paying.

Maybe they figure most people will buy a Wii U for Mario Kart and have plenty of older software to sink their teeth into? Dunno, I'd like to think they still have something cooking for all the hungry fans who picked up the systems ages ago.

The 3DS still needs some love too. Should hopefully hear something tonight.

Edited by Guy

Wii Sports was the most important game last gen for shifting so many Wii consoles, Wii Sports Club retail release is right around the corner, with online and "hd" graphics and Nintendo don't even mention it at the biggest gaming event of the year. They even made a joke about the drought?!

Wii Sports was the most important game last gen for shifting so many Wii consoles, Wii Sports Club retail release is right around the corner, with online and "hd" graphics and Nintendo don't even mention it at the biggest gaming event of the year. They even made a joke about the drought?!

I totally forgot about that. It is at E3 though.

At first I was really sceptical about the new E3 format. It thought it was crazy to take this route after it backfired on them so badly last year... but now...

Fuck the live press conference! I don't miss it at all! :D

This new format is brilliant! I've been glued to each broadcast! The thought of new announcements hitting at any time over the next 2 days is so exciting!

Seems to be a hit all round too, I've yet to see anyone who has not enjoyed the new form of coverage and each broadcast has been getting over 100k views on a consistent basis (IIRC the Smash Invitational hit 400k live views when that was on :o ). This year has been a real winner for them :)

I totally forgot about that. It is at E3 though.

Haha. Same here. There's Julys game then. Get one in August and that's an exclusive game every month until the end if the year. :D

At first I was really sceptical about the new E3 format. It thought it was crazy to take this route after it backfired on them so badly last year... but now...

Fuck the live press conference! I don't miss it at all! :D

This new format is brilliant! I've been glued to each broadcast! The thought of new announcements hitting at any time over the next 2 days is so exciting!

Seems to be a hit all round too, I've yet to see anyone who has not enjoyed the new form of coverage and each broadcast has been getting over 100k views on a consistent basis (IIRC the Smash Invitational hit 400k live views when that was on :o ). This year has been a real winner for them :)

Clearly you haven't been on GAF in the last 24 hours :p

Clearly you haven't been on GAF in the last 24 hours :p

Actually from what I've seen on there, most people seem to be really happy with the new format. Much moreso than last year (or 2012 and 2011 for that matter!)

Very few people moaning about the lack of a live conference really :)

Actually from what I've seen on there, most people seem to be really happy with the new format. Much moreso than last year (or 2012 and 2011 for that matter!)

Very few people moaning about the lack of a live conference really :)

Yeah, there is mostly good stuff about the format. People find it far more personal, far more efficient and less PR bull.

Less piped applause too :p

Still, can't please everyone.

Why do you frequent gaf? It sounds like you hate it and I don't think it's worth bringing that place up in here either :p

Yeah, E3 was so good this year, really reminded me of why I've been a Nintendo gamer for so long! Are there any official times for treehouse stuff I need to know about today?

Wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice.. I've been living in Latvia for the past year and been desperate to pick up a WiiU. The only problem is, it isn't officially on sale here, and the places where it is sold have hugely inflated prices, we're talking 350 Euros +1 game. Importing one is just as pricey, and going back to the UK just to pick one up, then paying the excess on a flight to bring it back just seems silly..

Today I found a second hand Wii with 5 (admittedly sucky) games - Nintendo Land, Black Ops 2, FIFA 13, Rayman Rabbids and 007 something or other. None of those interest me except Nintendo Land, but the guy isn't willing to sell lower without the other 4. The price is a cool 200 Euros. It is however, a launch machine and in pretty bad condition. The console is pretty scratched up. There is no box, and obviously no warrenty. I don't know whether I'd be wasting my money and wondered what you guys thought. I would much rather buy new, but there's no way I can justify 350 Euros... This seems like a once in a blue moon kind of deal for Latvia, like I said, I've been searching for over a year.

Wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice.. I've been living in Latvia for the past year and been desperate to pick up a WiiU. The only problem is, it isn't officially on sale here, and the places where it is sold have hugely inflated prices, we're talking 350 Euros +1 game. Importing one is just as pricey, and going back to the UK just to pick one up, then paying the excess on a flight to bring it back just seems silly..

Today I found a second hand Wii with 5 (admittedly sucky) games - Nintendo Land, Black Ops 2, FIFA 13, Rayman Rabbids and 007 something or other. None of those interest me except Nintendo Land, but the guy isn't willing to sell lower without the other 4. The price is a cool 200 Euros. It is however, a launch machine and in pretty bad condition. The console is pretty scratched up. There is no box, and obviously no warrenty. I don't know whether I'd be wasting my money and wondered what you guys thought. I would much rather buy new, but there's no way I can justify 350 Euros... This seems like a once in a blue moon kind of deal for Latvia, like I said, I've been searching for over a year.

Do you not know anyone who could buy one for you and post it to you?! You could get the mario kart bundle for under £250 which would include the extra game too!!

How bad a condition? you'd be able to flip the games on ebay or somewhere surely

Is there no other options for you to purchase one? i'd much rather have my own shiney new one! what about amazon? they usually post anywhere

Why can't you order from UK/Europe and just pay the shipping charges. Your in EU so no duty to pay!

Amazon won't ship here. Even Amazon.de. Most places charge extortionate shipping fees or won't send at all :/ my only real option is to get one here, but this one is in really bad nick. They say it's tested and fully working, but still.. Also I'd have to pay extra to buy an EU AC adapter if I imported from the UK, and they aren't cheap. Another 30-40 Euros.

Edit: Does anyone know if the console the AC socket to the Wii and Wii U are the same, as I have an EU AC plug for the original Wii.

Edited by Nicktendo

Amazon won't ship here. Even Amazon.de. Most places charge extortionate shipping fees or won't send at all :/ my only real option is to get one here, but this one is in really bad nick. They say it's tested and fully working, but still.. Also I'd have to pay extra to buy an EU AC adapter if I imported from the UK, and they aren't cheap. Another 30-40 Euros.

Edit: Does anyone know if the console the AC socket to the Wii and Wii U are the same, as I have an EU AC plug for the original Wii.

Best bet is get someone here to buy and ship then.. If you can find someone who you can pay.

Just an idea for an alternative to the UK, is there a country near by you could visit that does sell the Wii U? Just thinking if you would be interested in visiting said country, and it is close enough... obviously "close enough" is totally dependent on you, I doubt Estonia or Lithuania will be selling Wii U it Latvia isn't.. but maybe Russia/Finland/Poland???Belarus? (I do appreciate they are very far away... but still a little closer than the UK)

They were too busy working out how to F-Zeroify it so they could skip making a new F-Zero. :indeed:

I was doing voice chat on Pokémon Diamond, with a headset, as soon as it released on DS. I thought things were meant to kick on from there but all they've done is take very tentative steps with Wii Speak - which, in fairness, wasn't terrible in Animal Crossing... until the times @Katie's parakeets went buck mad...! The feedback loop. :shakehead

Still, there's Miiverse. Progress, right!?

Haha you have a good memory! Wii Speak worked pretty well on Animal Crossing, it did make it a lot more fun.

I never thought I'd say this, but anyone worried 2015 is almost too crowded?!

Yoshi, Kirby, Splatoon, Mario Maker, X, Zelda, Starfox, Miayomot's games, Devil's Third, Mario Party 10

And we still don't know what Monster, Retro and Next Level Games have been playing... though I imagine the 3DS games will be one of them!