NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The Skill stat functions much like it does in the actual Fire Emblem games. It affects everything that has a percentage-based chance of happening. Critical hits, secondary effects of attacks (instant death from Ellie's Final Hour, for example), chance of hitting your target, and duo art activation are all more likely, the higher that stat is. Honestly, it's probably the best stat in the game.

There's some exceptions, like your chance of evasion being influenced by the Speed stat, but most stuff is based on Skill.

I have definitely noticed it with Ellie, I've used Final Hour about 10 times in the last few hours and it has worked every time! I almost feel bad like I'm cheating the game but then I remember they are cheating me out of time with this grinding :laughing: 

And I take back what I said about the Savage Enemies, it's a new set now and they are pretty hardcore!! 

Heaven and earth have collided @Glen-i :cry:

I haven't been so hyped since the Wii launch, MAN! :bouncy:

Edited by Josh64
  • Like 6

This is pretty mindblowing...

I'm shocked that this actually works and that the Wii U accepts it as valid USB storage to load games from!! :o 

You can make physical versions of Wii U digital games! (albiet, very slow!)

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Cube said:

Neat trick, but not very practical.

Wii U in a nutshell. 

• Haha 4

On 03/05/2021 at 6:58 PM, Glen-i said:

The Skill stat functions much like it does in the actual Fire Emblem games. It affects everything that has a percentage-based chance of happening. Critical hits, secondary effects of attacks (instant death from Ellie's Final Hour, for example), chance of hitting your target, and duo art activation are all more likely, the higher that stat is. Honestly, it's probably the best stat in the game.

There's some exceptions, like your chance of evasion being influenced by the Speed stat, but most stuff is based on Skill.

Thank you, senpai. I made it in the end. It feels so bitter sweet.

I haven't felt such a RUSH in forever, especially considering I was so close just the other night when one of those fuckers FULLY HEALED HIM AS HE WAS AT RED HEALTH. 

As I was dealing with the comedown I came across a full 4 min version of the new single for Switch, which I assumed wouldn't be a thing! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Josh64 said:

Thank you, senpai. I made it in the end. It feels so bitter sweet.

I haven't felt such a RUSH in forever, especially considering I was so close just the other night when one of those fuckers FULLY HEALED HIM AS HE WAS AT RED HEALTH. 

Wow, congrats! Legit impressive!

I beat Lunatic for the first time a few weeks ago and am now making preparations for this fight.

A new Wii U owner is on the horizon! 

supersmashbros-wiiu.gif

So as I've mentioned a lot over the last few months, I've been increasingly interested in picking up a Wii U to plug the gaps Nintendo has left so far with the Switch. I can be pretty anal about wanting to experience things in some sort of order when it comes to my enjoyment of entertainment, and that's no different when it comes to games, as I love to see mechanics, gameplay loops, and tech evolve while going through a series.

This has put me in a weird spot with Nintendo the last few years, as titles in both big and small franchises are currently trapped on the Wii U, and I just can't bring myself to venture forth in some games I already own knowing that there are games I would want access to afterwards trapped on an older console I don't have under my TV. Other than the GameCube (where I know Nintendo games are often going for a fortune these days), select GBA titles that weren't ported (like the GBA Pokémon games), and other select titles from older systems which were not ported, a Wii U would give me access to most of Nintendo's catalogue alongside my Switch and 3DS. 

This all culminated in me finally ordering a Wii U the other day, which is set to arrive by the start of next week. I've bought one in large part due to its Virtual Console offering like I mentioned before, but also because of some of its HD efforts and Wii backwards compatibility. Yep, even though I had a Wii to play on growing up, I feel like I completely missed out on some games on the platform just through a lack of awareness at the time of the wider range of games up for grabs. My Wii U hasn't arrived yet, but honestly, I'm really excited to set it up and dig in! 

So, N-E, I come to you in search of your Wii U recommendations to add to the wishlist of games I've compiled so far. I'm not going to go nuts and buy everything at once, because I feel like that would bring along a headache I'd rather not deal with, and also because unless they announce that the Wii U eShop is closing in the next year or so, I'm in no real rush. 

For starters, my wishlist is split between games available natively for Wii U, Virtual Console games, and Wii games, but there are some caveats in writing this list I've though about that I'll mention now:

• if a Wii U game has been ported to the Switch and has a Deluxe version available which is considered the definitive version, I'd prefer to buy it there. E.g. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, etc. 
  • along similar lines, for Wii games, if it has been ported to the Switch (or even the 3DS) in a generally agreed upon improved version, I'll likely pick it up there. E.g. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong Country Returns (I hated the shake to roll and slam on the Wii version!). 
  • if a game is already available as part of Nintendo Switch Online's base tier as part of the NES or SNES apps, I'll try to save myself some money and play it there. 
  • for Wii and Wii U original games I'll probably try to track down physical copies rather than buy the game digitally, unless the physical copy has an insane mark-up. E.g. Metroid Prime Trilogy

Essentially, I'm looking for recommendations that I wouldn't have had access to before this Wii U arrives. I suppose there's also the question of N64 ports or games that you think have a best version on Wii U, as I know @S.C.G has mentioned Majora's Mask's N64 port on Wii U might be preferable to the 3DS version, but in that specific case, I'll hold fire for now.

Which brings me onto my wishlist so far:

Wii U

• The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Nintendo Land

Virtual Console

• Metroid Zero Mission
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Advance Wars
  • Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
  • Fire Emblem
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • Golden Sun
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • Earthbound
  • Earthbound Beginnings

Wii

• Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy

In terms of hardware, I've ordered a Wii U Pro Controller and Wiimote Plus + Nunchuk, but I'm open to any other hardware suggestions people might have. Is the Wii Classic Controller Pro worth looking into, or will the Wii U Pro Controller cover my needs there? 

Cheers in advance N-E :peace:

wii-u-animated-gifs.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is the only way you can play that game with the motion controls. So to me, getting it on the WiiU is still the best way to play RE4 (Most Wii games have faster loading on the WiiU)

While I would recommend playing the other Metroids first, don't overlook Other M just because of it's poor reputation. It's a fun game, as long as you go in knowing that the story is stupid and there are some minor issues. (The pixel hunting first-person sections are very frustrating later on)

EDIT: Oh right. Yoshi's Woolly World is worth looking into. It's better than Crafted World, in my opinion. It's also disgustingly cute.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh crud, forgot that had a 3DS port.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might as well add Sin and Punishment to the Virtual Console list, and Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies to the Wii list, if you like on-rails shooters, with a difference.

• Like 1

Oh yes, Sin and Punishment 2 on the Wii is great! Very good arcade style StarFox-like game!

I can't remember if it's on the WiiU eShop, but The Last Story is a solid little action RPG.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Julius said:

Is the Wii Classic Controller Pro worth looking into, or will the Wii U Pro Controller cover my needs there?

If I’m remembering correctly, the classic pro controller had analogue shoulder buttons, the only one to have them, unfortunately hardly any games made use of them, I think I remember an F1 game did, as I’m sure that’s where I found it out. But otherwise the WiiU one should be fine. 

• Like 1

Wow I hadn’t fully grasped just how many WiiU games now appear on other consoles!

Depending on the price of a physical copy, I rather enjoyed the Wii game Pandora’s Tower which could be downloaded.

The only other game I can think of not yet covered is NES Remix 1+2. Not worth full price as you can play the full NES games on Switch Online, but some of the crossover games in it & challenges were enjoyable. Fun for a couple of hours, and the WiiU versions include more games than the 3DS version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is the only way you can play that game with the motion controls. So to me, getting it on the WiiU is still the best way to play RE4 (Most Wii games have faster loading on the WiiU)

While I would recommend playing the other Metroids first, don't overlook Other M just because of it's poor reputation. It's a fun game, as long as you go in knowing that the story is stupid and there are some minor issues. (The pixel hunting first-person sections are very frustrating later on)

EDIT: Oh right. Yoshi's Woolly World is worth looking into. It's better than Crafted World, in my opinion. It's also disgustingly cute.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh crud, forgot that had a 3DS port.

I do already own Resident Evil 4 on PlayStation - have yet to check it out, picked it up on sale a while back - but I've seen a lot of love for the Wii version of the game on here based mainly on the motion controls, so even if I play it on PlayStation first, I definitely want to get around to it at some point just to try it out! 

Yeah, seen and heard a lot of not great things about Other M too. Probably not something I'll pick up immediately, but one I'll get around to after the other Metroid games just to see how I feel (and with expectations kept in check!). 

As for Yoshi's Woolly World, as it was originally a Wii U game I'd be up for picking it up either on Wii U or 3DS, depending on if there's a version generally considered the better one? But if not and it's down to TV Vs handheld preference, I guess I'd probably lean towards the Wii U version! 

Thanks for the recommendations :peace:

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Might as well add Sin and Punishment to the Virtual Console list, and Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies to the Wii list, if you like on-rails shooters, with a difference.

Now that I think about it, I really don't think I've played any on-rails shooters on consoles, which is funny because I feel like they'd be right up my alley based on how much I enjoyed rail shooters on arcade machines as a kid. Just had a quick look at some gameplay for both and they look like a blast. 

Thanks, will add them to the list! :smile:

38 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I can't remember if it's on the WiiU eShop, but The Last Story is a solid little action RPG.

It doesn't look like it is based on what I can see online, and I think the physical Wii version can go for quite a bit, but from what I remember hearing and seeing of it before (it's the Sakaguchi/Mistwalker game right?) it did have me intrigued. 

Will add it to the list and keep it in mind :smile:

31 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

If I’m remembering correctly, the classic pro controller had analogue shoulder buttons, the only one to have them, unfortunately hardly any games made use of them, I think I remember an F1 game did, as I’m sure that’s where I found it out. But otherwise the WiiU one should be fine. 

Ah okay, yeah doesn't sound like I'll be missing out on too much with just the Wii U Pro Controller. Thanks for the heads-up! :D

30 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

Depending on the price of a physical copy, I rather enjoyed the Wii game Pandora’s Tower which could be downloaded.

The only other game I can think of not yet covered is NES Remix 1+2. Not worth full price as you can play the full NES games on Switch Online, but some of the crossover games in it & challenges were enjoyable. Fun for a couple of hours, and the WiiU versions include more games than the 3DS version.

Oh wow, never heard of Pandora's Tower before, but that definitely looks like something I'd like to give a whirl. It is on the eShop, but that black Wii case looks ridiculously good! 

I knew there was an NES Remix on 3DS, but had no idea there was one on Wii U -- think that says a whole lot about the console's success, or lack thereof! Am I reading it right that it only released digitally over here? 

Either way, thanks for the recommendations! :peace:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Julius said:

Oh wow, never heard of Pandora's Tower before, but that definitely looks like something I'd like to give a whirl. It is on the eShop, but that black Wii case looks ridiculously good

Not too surprising really, Pandora's Tower was one of the three games that people refer to as "Operation Rainfall", these 3 games were released and localised by NoE and only came out in America after a campaign from fans there.

Xenoblade Chronicles was one of them and became such a critical success that it catapulted Shulk from niche RPG protagonist to Smash Bros character. But because of that, Xenoblade kinda overshadowed the other two games, Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story.

Now, while I do agree that Xenoblade is the best of the bunch, the other two are no slouches. If you can get a copy of them at a reasonable price, go for it. But they can be tricky to get a hold of because of their late release and initial limited availability.

And yes, the cases for all three games are great. Reversible covers, as well. Really gorgeous!

• Like 2

Had to confirm this, but Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise is on the eShop as well.

Some of the games there show up in the 3DS game, but not all of them. Well worth it if you like Rhythm games.

Fun fact: The European version is the best version of that, because we got both the English and Japanese versions of songs included.

• Like 2

I played a lot of Splatoon on the Wii U and it's worth playing especially as not that expensive to pick up. Game and Wario is worth a mention as well although that will cost you more.

Affordable Space Adventures is also worth looking into via the e-shop.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:43 AM, Julius said:

So, N-E, I come to you in search of your Wii U recommendations to add to the wishlist of games I've compiled so far. I'm not going to go nuts and buy everything at once, because I feel like that would bring along a headache I'd rather not deal with, and also because unless they announce that the Wii U eShop is closing in the next year or so, I'm in no real rush. 

Edit - The Wii U eshop is not closing down in January 2022, just the method of adding funds to accounts is changing.

Edited by sumo73
  • Like 1

One can still buy stuff from the 3DS eShop by inserting funds from the Switch, or from the Nintendo website. Is the same possible for Wii U?

11 hours ago, Julius said:

A new Wii U owner is on the horizon!

Wii U

As somebody who's never owned a Wii U, Kirby's Rainbow Curse is the only title left from that console that I really want to see on the Switch. It looks super fun, unique, and lovely.

Virtual Console

• Advance Wars
  • Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
  • Fire Emblem
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

I'd just like to point out, considering the upcoming AW remake, you should think extra hard on whether you should buy the old ones. On one hand, it's Advance Wars right now, on the other, the remakes may render them obsolete. On one hand, the old ones have a more elegant sprite-based art style compared to remake, on the other, there's no online. And of course, the VC versions will be cheaper, which is also important.

Regarding Fire Emblem, the first one on the GBA (Blazing Blade) has a mandatory tutorial. Sacred Stones is shorter, but its second playthrough offers more value than Blazing Blade's. IMO, that's all the info you need when deciding which one to get/play first.

And for personal recommendations:

• Kuru Kuru Kururin
  • Drill Dozer
  • Wario Land 4 (thought the first three entries are on the 3DS, this one stands fine on its own)

I actually have no idea if those three titles are available on the VC, but if they are, get'em.

Wii

• Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy

I second the recommendation for Resi 4, that's the best way to play that game. As for other suggestions, it's tricky, because almost everything made it onto other consoles... but let's see:

• Wario Land: Shake Dimension
  • Excite Truck
  • Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
  • House of the Dead: Overkill (it's been released elsewhere, but getting peripherals that work for those versions can be a hassle, so this version may be ideal)
  • Another Code: R
  • The Trauma Center series

These aren't major AAA blockbusters or anything, but if you're looking for "unique", they're all great choices.

Also, check out De Blob or Little King's Story on any platform of your choice.

15 hours ago, sumo73 said:

I played a lot of Splatoon on the Wii U and it's worth playing especially as not that expensive to pick up. Game and Wario is worth a mention as well although that will cost you more.

Affordable Space Adventures is also worth looking into via the e-shop.

Huh, you know, the thought of picking up the first Splatoon didn't even cross my mind, but at the very least checking out the single player could be a lot of fun! 

Game & Wario looks like it's a bit steep in terms of price for the physical version, like you say, but I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on that. Some of those mini-games do look like a hectic fun time. 

And Affordable Space Adventures looks like a charming and novel way to implement the GamePad. 

All added to the list, thanks! :peace:

15 hours ago, sumo73 said:

From 22nd January 2022 you will no longer be able to add funds to the Wii U e-shop.

From what I can find it seems like you'll still be able to pick things up through eShop cards and the website, but not directly to the Wii U through a debit/credit card...which seems like a real pain. 

Of course I had to go ahead and jinx it! Thanks for the heads-up :smile: will definitely consider it, I might focus on picking up all of the Virtual Console and digital-only games I'm interested in before that happens to save the hassle. 

12 hours ago, Jonnas said:

As somebody who's never owned a Wii U, Kirby's Rainbow Curse is the only title left from that console that I really want to see on the Switch. It looks super fun, unique, and lovely.

Looks charming as heck!

I'd just like to point out, considering the upcoming AW remake, you should think extra hard on whether you should buy the old ones. On one hand, it's Advance Wars right now, on the other, the remakes may render them obsolete. On one hand, the old ones have a more elegant sprite-based art style compared to remake, on the other, there's no online. And of course, the VC versions will be cheaper, which is also important.

Yeah, a lot of reasons for and against both at the moment, you're right.

I might play it smart and just wait until the remakes release, and if it seems to be the general consensus that those are the definitive versions for whatever reason, I'll probably end up going for the Switch release. 

That being said, I do find the GBA sprites much more charming than the 3D models in the remake, I don't think I'd be particularly interested in online modes in a game like this, and like you said, the originals on Virtual Console are going to be the more affordable option, so I'm definitely leaning towards those at the moment. 

Just hope Nintendo doesn't do anything underhanded once the remakes release! 

Regarding Fire Emblem, the first one on the GBA (Blazing Blade) has a mandatory tutorial. Sacred Stones is shorter, but its second playthrough offers more value than Blazing Blade's. IMO, that's all the info you need when deciding which one to get/play first.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'll probably go straight to Blazing Blade, mainly because it's been a little while since I played Awakening and a refresher on Fire Emblem wouldn't hurt!

And for personal recommendations:

• Kuru Kuru Kururin
  • Drill Dozer
  • Wario Land 4 (thought the first three entries are on the 3DS, this one stands fine on its own)

I actually have no idea if those three titles are available on the VC, but if they are, get'em.

Just had a look at the eShop and, funnily enough, it looks like they're all in the Wii U's Virtual Console! 

Drill Dozer in particular is one I've been curious about for a while (because Game Freak, plus those sprites) but had completely omitted from my mind when looking at the Wii U Virtual Console. Thanks! 

I second the recommendation for Resi 4, that's the best way to play that game. As for other suggestions, it's tricky, because almost everything made it onto other consoles... but let's see:

• Wario Land: Shake Dimension
  • Excite Truck
  • Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
  • House of the Dead: Overkill (it's been released elsewhere, but getting peripherals that work for those versions can be a hassle, so this version may be ideal)
  • Another Code: R
  • The Trauma Center series

Damn, a lot of love for RE4 on Wii, it's nice to see! Well timed too with all of the hype around RE4 VR, I might just bite the bullet and play the Wii version first then based on the recommendations here! 

Heard of some of the others like Excite Truck before, but will definitely have a look into the others too! 

Also, check out De Blob or Little King's Story on any platform of your choice.

Will do :p thanks for the recommendations Jonnas, appreciate it! :peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Zombi U is out on other systems as a digital release (Zombi) but the physical Wii U version isn't that expensive and it's also worth looking at. Rodea The Sky Soldier might be interesting (Wii U and Wii version in one pack). The Wii version is generally viewed as the better game. Finally, Paper Mario: Color Splash.

With regards the Wii U e-shop purchases (credit/debit card) have to be done via Nintendo's website and can no longer be done via the console anymore (since Sept 2019). I have a Japanese Wii U as well but don't have this issue.

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough, I just so happen to be playing through RE4 Wii again myself right now.  I'll second everyone's thoughts here, RE4 Wii is still, to this day, the best version of RE4 you can buy.  The Wii Remote controls are simply transformative and make it so much better to play than any other version!

As far as console exclusive games go that you can't get on Switch or other modern home consoles? Here's my list...

Virtual Console NES

Earthbound Beginnings (It's still the only time the English language version of this game has ever been released! An absolute must-have if you like classic turn-based RPGs! Just bare in mind that it's pretty damn hard and asks for a lot of patience from you.  It's well worth experiencing though!)

Ninja Gaiden 2: The Dark Sword of Chaos (Excellent sequel to the original Ninja Gaiden, strangely not available via the Switch NSO service despite the original Ninja Gaiden being on there)

Ninja Gaiden 3: The Ancient Ship of Doom (Also excellent, also strangely not available via the Switch NSO service)

Duck Hunt (Pretty much THE archetypal light gun shooter.  I still love it! Uses the Wii Remote to replicate the NES Zapper and it's the only way to play this game on a modern HDTV - Traditional light guns do not work on anything other than a CRT display, so it's well worth looking into the NES Zapper games that are available on Wii U; such as Hogan's Alley, WIld Gunman and The Adventures of Bayou Billy)

Ufouria: The Saga (Very interesting little Metroidvania style game from the creators of Blaster Master)

Zoda's Revenge: Startropics 2 (Excellent sequel to the original Startropics, strangely not available via the Switch NSO service despite the original Startropics being on there).

Virtual Console SNES

Super Mario RPG (The game that started the line of Mario RPGs, still not available on Switch NSO! It IS available on the SNES Mini mind you)

Earthbound (Bizzarly, it's STILL not available on Switch NSO! It is available on the SNES Mini though)

Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Really fun co-op platformer/brawler hybrid that is oddly not available on Switch NSO

Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures (Great little shmup in the cute 'em up vein; Dunno why it's not on Switch NSO when the original Pop'n Twinbee is already on there)

Axelay (Classic Konami shmup, very good if you love classic shooters)

Virtual Console N64

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibre (Fantastic real-time strategy RPG that is very unlikely to come to Switch NSO since Square-Enix own the rights to it)

Virtual Console GBA

Metroid Fusion

Metroid Zero Mission

Drill Dozer

Advance Wars

Advance Wars 2

Golden Sun

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland

Kirby & The Amazing Mirror

Wario Land 4

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity

Wario Ware

Mario Golf Advance Tour

Mario Power Tennis (Also known as Mario Tennis Power Tour in the US)

Fire Emblem (AKA "Fire Emblem 7"/"Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade")

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire

DK: King of Swing

Kuru Kuru Kururin

Game & Watch Gallery Advance

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Super Mario Advance 4 (Includes 38 exclusive e-reader levels that were previously un-released! You cannot get these on the original GBA cart release, these are exclusive to the Wii U VC version!)

Super Ghouls N' Ghosts (The GBA version has an exclusive Arrange Mode that features remixed versions of stages from the other Ghouls N' Ghosts games!)

Pac-Man Collection (Get this for the brilliant GBA port of the excellent 1996 Pac-Man Arrangement!)

Mario Kart Super Circuit (Bare in mind that the Wii U version is single player only though)

Virtual Console DS

Kirby Power Paintbrush (Also known as Kirby Canvas Curse in the US)

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Wario Ware Touched

Kirby: Mouse Attack (Also known as Kirby Squeak Squad in the US)

Kirby: Mass Attack

Donkey Kong Jungle Climber

Star Fox Command

Yoshi Touch & Go

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

New Super Mario Bros

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Keep in mind though that it's very very likely that we're getting a remake of this on Switch pretty soon though)

Wii U

Nintendo Land (Excellent Asymmetric multiplayer game! Also has some fun single player challenges, one of my favourite Wii U games)

Star Fox Zero (I stick by my 9/10 review)

Kirby & The Rainbow Paintbrush (Excellent sequel to the DS classic; also known as Kirby & The Rainbow Curse in the US)

Paper Mario: Color Splash (Fantastic game, do not listen to the haters online.  It's a hilarious romp with some fantastic puzzle design!)

Yoshi's Wooly World (Also available on 3DS, both versions are great, but the Wii U one exclusively has co-op multiplayer)

NES Remix 1&2 (There is a 3DS rendition called Ultimate NES Remix as well, but that doesn't include everything from NES Remix 1&2, so the Wii U version is still worth owning)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

Wii Sports Club

Xenoblade X (I would be shocked if this doesn't eventually come to Switch though)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Also available on 3DS - Only the Wii U version supports online play mind you; both the 3DS and Wii U versions can play in local wireless multiplayer together)

Wii

Punchout!! (Amazing sequel/reboot of the classic NES/SNES Punchout games; you owe it to yourself to check it out.  It's more of an action puzzle game than an actual boxing game, despite outward appearances - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Sin & Punishment 2: Successor of the Skies (Unbelievably great rail shooter, sequel to the N64 original that plays incredibly with its Wii Remote & Nunchuck control scheme.  One of the greatest railshooters ever made! - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (The best version of the best Resident Evil game - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Self-explanatory, you already know you want it - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Kirby's Adventure Wii (Also known as Kirby Returns To Dreamland in the US.  This is my personal favourite Kirby game, it's got everything you could possibly ask for in a Kirby title.  Absolutely unmissable! - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Wii Sports Resort (Excellent game in either multi or single player.  Still one of my absolute favourite games for the console! Brilliant sequel that fleshes out its sports gameplay concepts beautifully!)

Pandora's Tower (The best 3D Castlevania game ever made.  Really interesting gameplay hook that brings to mind Majora's Mask's time limit and some really cool Wii Remote whip pointer flinging action! - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Mario Kart Wii (It's Mario Kart, what more can I say? It's actually one of my least favourite MK games, but even a lesser MK game is still well worth playing and owning)

Super Paper Mario (Bizzare hybrid of the Paper Mario series' RPG gameplay and the classic 2D platformer gameplay from the mainline 2D Mario series.  Hilarious characters and story, with gameplay that purposely hates the player and loves throwing a middle finger your way.  Well worth checking out - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Beat The Beat: Rhythm Paradise (Also known as Rhythm Heaven Fever in the US, this is the 3rd game in the Rhythm Paradise series.  One of the best rhythm games ever made, and probably the best game in the series! An absolute must-own for any rhythm game fan! - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Disaster: Day of Crisis (A love letter to every 80s disaster movie ever made, it's one of the most bonkers action thrillrides you'll ever play.  Volcanos! Tsunamis! Hurricans! Cheesy one liners and action movie tropes! This game has everything a B-movie fan could ask for, wrapped up in some surprisingly fun gameplay that mixes up various different game genres, from action platforming to lightgun shootouts, to oddly realistic driving.  The music is amazing too.  It's Nintendo's own Metal Gear Solid!)

New Super Mario Bros Wii (The best 2D Mario game ever made, full stop.  NSMBU is a complete joke in comparison  - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Pikmin 1 (You are honestly fine with either the GCN original or the Wii version, but the Wii version is more easily accessible - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Pikmin 2 (You are honestly fine with either the GCN original or the Wii version, but the Wii version is more easily accessible - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Metroid Prime Trilogy (The single greatest disc ever printed.  Contains three of the best games ever made, complete with sublime Wii Remote & Nunchuck controls that vastly improve the play experience for MP1 and MP2... shame the disc is so rare and expensive, buuuuttt... - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop!)

Metroid Other M (Controversial online to be sure, but I love this game.  It's a take on 3D Metroid that is much more faithful to the gameplay of the 2D series than the Prime games, and acts as a prequel to Metroid Fusion, much moreso than a sequel to Super Metroid - which is honestly half the reason why people seem to hate this game.  The other half of the reason is because the story is hot nonsense, but you're not going into this game for the story, you're in it for the awesome action gameplay  - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Wario Ware Smooth Moves (My second favourite Wario Ware game, second only to Wario Ware Twisted - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Excitetruck (Kinda janky really fun arcade racer.  Smacks of early Wii game, but it has a certain dumb fun charm about it that's... well... really fun!)

Mario Strikers Charged Football (It's Mario Football! It's absolutely insane and it's insane fun! The most unrealistic football game ever! - Digital Version is also available on the Wii U eShop)

Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Complete remake of the DS original with a brand new second story and excelllent Wii Remote & Nunchuck controls!)

Trauma Center: New Blood (Sequel to the DS/Wii original, even better than the first! Amazing score attack game that is hard as balls, but incredibly fun & satisfying to master!)

Trauma Team (Soft reboot of the Trauma Center series that introduces 6 different gameplay types, one of which being a Visual Novel series of sorts alongside 5 different takes on surgery.  One of my absolute favourite Wii games and a must play that was tragically never released in Europe... Available via US import only; you will need to either mod your system or get a US console to play it.)

Excitebots (Even more insane sequel to the original Excitetruck! Well worth checking out if you like arcade racing action! Available via US import only; you will need to either mod your system or get a US console to play it.)

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Amazing sequel to Path of Radiance on the Gamecube... but honestly? Don't play this unless you've already played POR beforehand, it presumes that you're already familiar with the gameplay, characters and story of POR... also it's crazy expensive now and there's unfortunately no digital version available... damn)

There's plenty more that I can add, but I think that's enough to get you started.  That's the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Still waiting on the Pro Controller, but my Wii U arrived today!

FCzXNkdWEAcLDOz?format=jpg&name=large

The GamePad is in better condition than I thought it would be, just a really small scratch at the bottom of the screen, so that's pretty cool. 

FCzXOcJWUAQEhqg?format=jpg&name=large

My early impression is that the menus are a bit slow, and the eShop in particular tends to drag things out when compared to most other systems. It also gives a very strange first impression when setting it up for the first time that most of it is not done while looking at the TV, but instead at the GamePad's screen; I understand what they were going for, but it did in a way make the setting up of the console feel a bit less premium. 

It's one of those things where I'm sure I'll come up with more negatives than positives out of the box, I think they tend to just be a bit more glaring at this early point, but there are some positives.

There are these things called Folders, which for some bizarre reason still aren't available on the PS5 or Switch, so the Wii U has them beat there! :p While using the GamePad for initial setup did feel less premium, typing on it through the touchscreen rather than using the controller to work a keyboard on the TV felt so much better. Most importantly for my experience so far, though, is that the eShop music is way more fun than I was expecting (apparently it's been in use on the 3DS for a while too, which speaks volumes of how often I use my poor 3DS). 

For now I'm working my way through some of the Virtual Console titles on my list and picking those up, think I'll get to ordering a few Wii and Wii U games on the weekend to help build a bit of a library up, but I might try and take my first bite at a game on the Wii U later this evening (likely Zero Mission). 

@sumo73 you were right about the eShop cards being the only way to add funds now, it's been a while since I've had to pick up codes like this! Think I'll need to sit down at some point and meticulously plan exactly what I'm buying digitally, to figure out just how many eShop cards I need to buy. 

@Dcubed thanks for the in-depth list, appreciate it! Ogre Battle 64 is something I'm not familiar with, but I've heard a whole lot about Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (what a title), so that's definitely being added to the list. I've actually added all of them except for the ones which require modding, only as that's not something I'm looking to do (yet, anyways!). :peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You can still add money to the Wii U just through Nintendo's website and not via the console anymore unless it's eShop cards which you have already said. I think if you have a Wii U and Switch on the same Nintendo ID and Nintendo account you could add funds via the Switch and then use that on the Wii U this would save on buying eShop cards. https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/How-to-Merge-Nintendo-Account-and-Nintendo-Network-ID-Funds-1462433.html

If you intend to download a lot of titles it might be worth thinking about getting an external hard drive with a Y cable at some point later on (avoid USB flash drives). The premium model is ok but it does tend to fill up over time if you download a lot.

As for navigating the Wii U menus, it's good idea to turn on the quick start menu on the gamepad. You can get into a game quicker that way provided you have played it recently.

Enjoy the Wii U!

• Thanks 2

Yeah, you can’t add funds directly to the Wii U or 3DS anymore in Europe anymore (you can in other regions, but not Europe; due to security/GDPR restrictions).

There are three ways you can currently add funds to your Wii U or 3DS here in Europe…

1: Add them via Switch - Your NNID (3DS/Wii U account) needs to be linked to your My Nintendo account (Switch) in order for this to work.  But once you link them? Your wallet is shared across all three systems.

2: Buy eShop cards - Very simple.  Any eShop card will work, including ones that are Switch branded; they’re all the same.

3: Add funds via Nintendo’s dedicated EU webpage - Go here https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-3DS-2DS/Usage-/Nintendo-eShop/How-to-Add-Funds-in-Nintendo-eShop-Using-Credit-Cards-1626660.html and follow the instructions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll figure out a better place to put my thoughts on it another time, but for now I really need to get my early thoughts on Metroid: Zero Mission off my chest. 

Holy heck is this game freaking awesome! 

I'm a couple of hours in and having an absolute blast. So far I've made it to Kraid, where I just finished up exploring the place as much as I could after defeating the boss, after making it through as much of Brinstar as I could, as well as Crateria, some amount of Norfair (I say that because I have a nagging feeling I'll be back), and these Chozo Ruins. I've picked up three Energy Tanks, got my missile capacity up to 80, and have picked up the Morph Ball, Long Beam, Charge Beam, Power Grip, Ice Beam, Speed Booster, and Bomb, and haven't had too much trouble so far outside of the bosses, though the first of which (the giant purple worm in the room with acid?) took me a few minutes to figure out. 

I think at this early stage the bosses have probably been the weak link for me. Yeah, the purple worm took a few minutes (it was also nice to have the opportunity to just get my health and ammo restored!), but the giant lizard and most of the enemies in this game so far have come down to just unloading every missile and their mother at them. It's cool and kind of fun, I just don't think - again, so far - that it's matched the depth I've seen from the rest of the game. 

Because that's where it has really sunk it's hooks into me: the exploration. Before this I'd only played the first few hours of Super Metroid a few times, but other than that, my understanding of Metroidvania concepts comes from it's clear influence on other games. Here, though, it's like every other room I walk into has something to do other than get to the other side, whether I need to come back with a new item at a later point to reach an item, figure out another way around, or solve a puzzle. And boy have I loved some of these puzzles!

My favourite so far I think was on Kraid with the floating purple turtle dudes and the zip line up above. 

Spoiler

So I went through the room, noticed the missile first as it's above you when you enter the room, and then tried to see if I could get up there with my Power Grip and into the narrow space with the Morph Ball, but these of course are the crumbling tiles.

I continue along the room, see the turtles...do I have to freeze them and then climb up? Nah, that can't be it, it's too tight a space to jump into anyways. There's a zip line overhead, let's get to the end of that. 

Run across to the right of the room, call the zip line, jump on, and get knocked off by the walls. Huh. But why would you put multiple walls here that my missiles can't break? Do I need to come back? 

And then it just hits me: let's see if there's anything underneath the walls with my Bombs. Sure enough, hidden cannons which shoot me into the walls hard enough to smash through them! 

But that would leave the turtles in the way, so that can't be– can I crush the turtles?! 

Sure enough I can, so I do so, then jump back up onto the zip line using Bombs to propel me up there in Morph Ball form and it carries me all the way over to the missile. 

carl-chef-kiss.gif

Been plenty of other times too. The first time I walked behind what appeared to be a wall to gain access to a hidden room, or any and every time where I get to use a Bomb on a worn or damaged block which takes me in a completely new direction (especially the ones underfoot and giving you access to tubes!), I absolutely love it. Also got pretty handy with the Bombs, the first time I scaled a massive room with them felt awesome. 

And then you have the map! I didn't know how I'd approach this game, and though I'm sure I won't 100% it going in blind, I'm having so much fun just trying to figure out every room's secret. Heck, on Kraid, before reaching the Map Room, I genuinely forgot some doors that I walked past trying to just look around the place, I was that absorbed in it! 

Anyways, need to close saying the Power Grip is awesome. The sprite work on Samus depending on if she's looking to the left or right of the screen while gripping to the edge, and when she can manoeuvre her arm cannon from these ledges, just looks fantastic.

But a final shout-out to Brinstar, because this theme is just phenomenal:

Can't believe how excited I am to get back to this :bouncy:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2