NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

i'm genuinely tempted to give it a go. How many hours long is it?

I honestly can't remember as it's been too long since I played it. Probably about 8 hours for a clean run and then 12 or so if you want 100%.

Shake Dimension is great!

The art style is sublime, and why I give the likes of NSMB a hard time.

Wario knows what he's doing,

Shake Dimension is great!

The art style is sublime, and why I give the likes of NSMB a hard time.

Wario knows what he's doing,

Yup, the art style and animation really make NSMB look bland in comparison.

I know New Super Mario Bros gets a hard time, and I can see why, but it still looks clean, crisp and fun :hehe:

I know New Super Mario Bros gets a hard time, and I can see why, but it still looks clean, crisp and fun :hehe:

That's really it. The NSMB games look bland because they're laser focused on playfield visibility, near enough to a fault.

That being said, I'd LOVE to see a 2D hand drawn Mario game done in the same style as Wario Land SD! (only in... HD!). Come on Retro! Hop to it!

It's just a shame that the level design is so achingly dull in WLSD. Kirby's Epic Yarn and Yoshi's WW were MASSIVE improvements over Wario though! It's like the guys at Good Feel were still shaking off the rust that developed from spending years at Konami twiddling their thumbs (if you didn't know... Good Feel are made up of ex Konami staff; in particular, most of them had previously worked on the Goemon series).

It's just a shame that the level design is so achingly dull in WLSD. Kirby's Epic Yarn and Yoshi's WW were MASSIVE improvements over Wario though! It's like the guys at Good Feel were still shaking off the rust that developed from spending years at Konami twiddling their thumbs (if you didn't know... Good Feel are made up of ex Konami staff; in particular, most of them had previously worked on the Goemon series).

Fml0fgAxVx1eM.gif

It kind of lacks soul. It's like an art student that has studied the exam requirements and made sure they nailed all of them, but at the expense of expressing any independent thought.

It kind of lacks soul. It's like an art student that has studied the exam requirements and made sure they nailed all of them, but at the expense of expressing any independent thought.

Wow. I've never heard this explained so well. Spot on. :bowdown:

The game is still fun ( played through it again last year ) but it lacks soul, as Ashley so perfectly put it.

You've absolutely nailed it. The feeling between the NES / SNES era games and the modern "new" series are night and day and this is exactly why. The originals were all a labour of love, unique and innovative, where as the new ones were a paint-by-numbers cash-in.

I rate Banjo Kazooie higher than Mario 64. Far more character, hilarious writing and innuendo, amazing soundtrack all made for a better game, IMO.

Still, the release of a 3D Mario game is always a special time.

Even though I've never owned Mario 64, I've played it to the end more times than I care to remember and this is spot on. Banjo was better in every way. Took the formula and perfected it. Hell, I even rate Sunshine more highly than 64.

The art style and music is pretty dull in the nsmb series, if they were as imaginative in these areas as Rayman or even in its own starry starry night level, then I think it would make an incredible difference. As though the visual/audio design is boring, the level design (bar the god awful nsmb 2) is still some of, if not the very best 2d platforming.

I think the NSMB style and themes are done; I had simply lost interest in it by the time NSMBU came around. The levels didn't particularly take me either.

I would do dirty things for a Mario game with an art style as good as Rayman Legends...

I just googled Shake Dimension to be reminded of it's lovely visuals, and instead was reminded of those horrendous borders...

Why are they there again?

How safe is it to buy a second hand pro controller? I know the guy, he won't lie to me, but as he played Bayonetta on it and himself said that he had to use it a lot in that game I am not sure is there a risk for the thing to break down?

Are these things durable?

PS

I managed to get a good priced one but the company didn't ship it in time, so I had to cancel it :(.

How safe is it to buy a second hand pro controller? I know the guy, he won't lie to me, but as he played Bayonetta on it and himself said that he had to use it a lot in that game I am not sure is there a risk for the thing to break down? .

This is Nintendo we're talkin' about. That thing would survive a nuclear holocaust :wink:. If it's an official pro controller, you should be fine.

This is Nintendo we're talkin' about. That thing would survive a nuclear holocaust :wink:. If it's an official pro controller, you should be fine.

Thx :D. Great. I am waiting for his answer, I hope he didn't sell it yet.

I just googled Shake Dimension to be reminded of it's lovely visuals, and instead was reminded of those horrendous borders...

Why are they there again?

I reckon that the game was originally in development for the Gamecube at an early stage and they just didn't want to bother re-drawing everything from scratch to fit the widescreen mode.

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn did the same thing for its 2D sections; the 3D parts were all widescreen (which was thankfully the majority of the game). Fun-fact, the original Japanese version was actually 4:3 only and all pre-release screenshots were of the cancelled GCN version (they all used GCN button prompts).

Wario Ware SM was also 4:3 and was probably first developed on GCN dev kits (with the Wii Remote as an accessory) to get it out in time for launch.

Quite a lot of the Wii's early games were ported over from GCN; but converting a 4:3 3D game to 16:9 is a lot easier than porting a 4:3 2D game over to 16:9.

I know the guy, he won't lie to me, but as he played Bayonetta on it and himself said that he had to use it a lot in that game I am not sure is there a risk for the thing to break down?

If the guy is @dazzybee I'd be worried of all the places the controller might have been while he was playing Bayonetta and trying to make it rumble...

If the guy is @dazzybee I'd be worried of all the places the controller might have been while he was playing Bayonetta and trying to make it rumble...

This joke is really making it's way around, huh?

I might have to add a second definition to "Dazzybee" in the N-Europe dictionary...

This joke is really making it's way around, huh?

This is no joke...

For your dictionary:

Dazzybee - noun, plural Dazzybees formal

1. a sexual act that includes a video game controller capable of vibrating

My God, she is a Dazzybee-master.

I had a Dazzybee last night, I came in seconds.

to dazzybee - verb formal

1. placing down a vibrating video game controller on someone's genitals

He dazzybeed me into heaven.

Let me dazzybee you tonight.

Edited by drahkon

It's not :D :D, but the guy sold it already :(.

Btw. as I am a medical doctor, trust me, putting the controller in certain places wouldn't be the biggest surprise actually :D :D.

As bad as the graphics are in NSMB, it's the music that really annoyed me.

Half of it sounds like a polyphonic ringtone

As bad as the graphics are in NSMB, it's the music that really annoyed me.

Half of it sounds like a polyphonic ringtone

*Has to stop after 10secs*

Yeah the music is bad. The main theme just instantly ruined any media Nintendo put out for the game for me. Instantly I had a negative opinion of the game.

*Has to stop after 10secs*

Yeah the music is bad. The main theme just instantly ruined any media Nintendo put out for the game for me. Instantly I had a negative opinion of the game.

The beginning sounds like a bad SNES game...

I can't believe what I'm hearing...

That's my favourite 2D Mario castle theme.