NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Having not read the article they're referring in GT Time, if Shigsy sais something like 'It's a shame the Wii U will never live up to its potential', that's no one's failing but theirs... it's not third parties, or the publics, or tablet etc... Nintendo never supported it with any games that demonstrated the hardwares potential, and they were so slow to bring games to the system.

Referring to GT Time again, yes we can all hope 'Nintendo are developing their big franchises for NX now'... but with the lack of these at the Wii U's launch, and the recent story about them not having started on a big Metroid game at any point, I honestly wouldn't bank on anything.

I watched the GT Time video, read the fortune article (http://fortune.com/2015/06/23/shigeru-miyamoto-wii-u/) and I agree with you. The blame for the current mess with the Wii U is Nintendo's fault.

They make stuff and then completely flop at telling people what the system can do and the biggest mess is they are really bad at advertising/marketing. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but they need to focus on TV and press advertising. I really can't remember the last time I saw a Nintendo TV advert. Just focusing on getting the Nintendo faithful to buy the system and talk about it is really not enough.

Nintendo can bang on about NX but they need the Wii U (and 3DS) to carry on for at least another year or so. Tell/show people what the system can do, drop the Wii U console price and stop going on about NX until this time next year at least otherwise the Wii U is Nintendo's Dreamcast.

I'm not expecting much from Nintendo if they just carry on as they are and to be honest I'm just waiting for an obituary video about the console from Adam Koralik in about a years time.

Turn on cartoon network and you'll see 1 or more nintendo ads every break, which speaks volumes about their target audience, but they are certainly advertising it.

Turn on cartoon network and you'll see 1 or more nintendo ads every break, which speaks volumes about their target audience, but they are certainly advertising it.

Thanks for telling me as I didn't know. That channel gets according to BARB in June 2015 got 0.24% of the market viewing share in the UK. It's not a channel that everyone can get in the UK but I'm sure Nintendo did their market research. :blank:

(source - http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/monthly-viewing-summary)

Edited by sumo73

With respect to those still mourning the death of Mr Iwata, and apologies if I seem a tad insensitive - but I would like to know what the implications of Mr Iwata's death mean for Nintendo.

When the former President retired, what happened? What was the selection process for a new President/CEO?

Could Reggie become global CEO? Or will it almost certainly be a Japanese person?

With respect to those still mourning the death of Mr Iwata, and apologies if I seem a tad insensitive - but I would like to know what the implications of Mr Iwata's death mean for Nintendo.

When the former President retired, what happened? What was the selection process for a new President/CEO?

Could Reggie become global CEO? Or will it almost certainly be a Japanese person?

I'd imagine after his diagnosis, there would have been some serious sucessession planning going on at Nintendo HQ.

The Japanese are nothing if not pragmatic in business.

Whoever is to get the job, I hope they have a more forward thinking attitude towards social gaming and online. Online isn't just about playing with strangers, online is also about playing with friends when you can't play locally... Nintendo seem to have not grasped this as of yet.

They have to keep Nintendo's mantra of making games fun first and foremost but they should be more open to narrative-driven experiences and realise the need to diversify the catalogue of games they're releasing. Someone more reciprocative of 3rd Parties needs.

I think they need someone from a more recent generation within the industry, one who better understands the gaming world of today but still has that core essence of Nintendo in their heart.

Whoever is to get the job, I hope they have a more forward thinking attitude towards social gaming and online. Online isn't just about playing with strangers, online is also about playing with friends when you can't play locally... Nintendo seem to have not grasped this as of yet.

They have to keep Nintendo's mantra of making games fun first and foremost but they should be more open to narrative-driven experiences and realise the need to diversify the catalogue of games they're releasing. Someone more reciprocative of 3rd Parties needs.

I think they need someone from a more recent generation within the industry, one who better understands the gaming world of today but still has that core essence of Nintendo in their heart.

Don't you think it's time to change your signature pic?

Don't you think it's time to change your signature pic?

Good shout :(

...done. Exchanged for a quick botch-job. It was just an oversight, it hadn't registered, sorry if it offended anyone.

Edited by Kav

Agreed. But how long would such implemntations take place? I would imagine Iwata-headed projects/direction won't just be cancelled.

Very interested to see what happens...

Wasn't there a young chap who presented a recent Nintendo Direct? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he became president.

Wasn't there a young chap who presented a recent Nintendo Direct? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he became president.

That was Morimoto, yeah. I had a bad feeling when he took over the Direct and Iwata was announced to not be at E3 (sad that the feeling turned out to be right). Iwata introduced him in the April Direct as taking over Directs from time to time.

He's just a PR guy at the moment, though. While I theorise that Iwata was grooming him to be his successor, I think it may have been too soon and Morimoto isn't ready.

Edited by Serebii

He's just a PR guy at the moment, though. While I theorise that Iwata was grooming him to be his successor, I think it may have been too soon and Morimoto isn't ready.

I don't think anyone is going to be ready. It's a large pair of shoes that need filling. It's not just the business side of things but you have to be likeable as well, especially if you are going to be presenting things Nintendo Direct.

It's like when Jack Trentton left Sony. Shawn Layden might have the business know how, but they guy has zero personality when on the stage and as such the message he tries to deliver suffers for it.

I don't think anyone is going to be ready. It's a large pair of shoes that need filling. It's not just the business side of things but you have to be likeable as well, especially if you are going to be presenting things Nintendo Direct.

It's like when Jack Trentton left Sony. Shawn Layden might have the business know how, but they guy has zero personality when on the stage and as such the message he tries to deliver suffers for it.

Well, for Directs in the near future, I think they'll be fine having them be completely different in presentation for the next few directs. Bill Trinen/Reggie in the US, Shibata for Europe and Morimoto for Japan. I think that's the way forward they're going to go with for the time being while the company is in a state of flux.

However, I look at the past year, since Iwata returned to work, and I just see all these things Iwata has put into action. It's like he's been putting things on a path, potentially knowing that the end was sooner rather than later, which makes sense considering his affliction. It's incredibly likely that the board and he put together a contingency plan for this scenario.

Iwata was apparently the first in his position not related the Yamauchi family - I don't think that's quite yet enough with japanese traditionalism to expect an American in place; but I do think it could be beneficial if there's a great Western say higher up in the company.

Iwata was apparently the first in his position not related the Yamauchi family - I don't think that's quite yet enough with japanese traditionalism to expect an American in place; but I do think it could be beneficial if there's a great Western say higher up in the company.

I'm fairly certain that won't happen anyway. They'll promote from within, not get someone from anywhere else in to be CEO. Though a westerner on the board would be decent enough eventually.

I also think that Nintendo would want someone who has been through the gaming industry, not a non-gaming marketing guy.

I also think that Nintendo would want someone who has been through the gaming industry, not a non-gaming marketing guy.

That's actually another excellent point. Let's suppose someone Western could be there - who would people think would be most likely or best suited?

That's actually another excellent point. Let's suppose someone Western could be there - who would people think would be most likely or best suited?

Bill Trinen :p

Bill Trinen :p

I realised after I can't actually think of many notable figures for the Western side but Bill Trinen would certainly be a good shout. Having worked closer on the japanese side translating and then later with Miyamoto - plus @Goron_3 was telling me during Splatoon on Saturday he's actually quite into his smash too with plans* to enter Evo for it - that's the kinda thing I think would speak well to the Western fans.

*Some googling shows he is no longer going to be, given the news of this week.

I realised after I can't actually think of many notable figures for the Western side but Bill Trinen would certainly be a good shout. Having worked closer on the japanese side translating and then later with Miyamoto - plus @Goron_3 was telling me during Splatoon on Saturday he's actually quite into his smash too with plans* to enter Evo for it - that's the kinda thing I think would speak well to the Western fans.

*Some googling shows he is no longer going to be, given the news of this week.

At first I was snobbish and thought why would anyone want a Translator/voice-over guy head our beloved Nintendo... But the more I gave it thought the more I was stroking my chin like "hmmmyeah".

Would be so refreshing for a person with a Western insight to head Nintendo and bring the company up to speed with the modern day... But then (sadly) I have this stereotypical view of Japanese board members pulling the strings in the shadows, ensuring this gaijin doesn't fall out of line...

At first I was snobbish and thought why would anyone want a Translator/voice-over guy head our beloved Nintendo... But the more I gave it thought the more I was stroking my chin like "hmmmyeah".

Would be so refreshing for a person with a Western insight to head Nintendo and bring the company up to speed with the modern day... But then (sadly) I have this stereotypical view of Japanese board members pulling the strings in the shadows, ensuring this gaijin doesn't fall out of line...

Yeah, I think I first clocked Trinen at last year's e3 event - something about him jarred me at first but definitely grown on me. What I'd like more than anything(and getting beyond this conversation) is for a bit more european representation on the european front.

What do you guys think of this guys opinion (on Nintendo and the NX power issue)?

Edit: Can someone please tutor me on how to post Youtube videos please? :/

What do you guys think of this guys opinion (on Nintendo and the NX power issue)?

Edit: Can someone please tutor me on how to post Youtube videos please? :/

You wanna take the last bit of your URL.

In your case, that would be Rznb_t3SE0A

And then you put that in between the Youtube HD bracket things. They start as

I'd never considered Bill in that position, but from a personality perspective it would be great, he is a big Nintendo personality these days.

I really don't know much about business so can't make an informed choice, but merely from a 'he makes good games and I like him' point of view, I'd LOVE Sakurai to head Nintendo. He really pushed the Gamecube and Wii with the Smash games and he's always so dead-set on fan service. But again, just because he's a great game-designer, doesn't mean he'd be a good business man :p

Like you've all said, they will be very large shoes to fill, from a business and personality aspect. Looking back now, it certainly does seem as though the writing was on the wall. I always found it a bit bizarre as to how specific they were about Iwata's illness, I feel as though most companies/pr wouldn't go into as much detail as to say exactly what the problem was. Not only that but his lack of Nintendo Direct appearances, his abscence from E3 and the masses of plans he put into place this year, almost ensuring Nintendo were on the right path even after his passing. Very sad.

I'd never considered Bill in that position, but from a personality perspective it would be great, he is a big Nintendo personality these days.

I really don't know much about business so can't make an informed choice, but merely from a 'he makes good games and I like him' point of view, I'd LOVE Sakurai to head Nintendo. He really pushed the Gamecube and Wii with the Smash games and he's always so dead-set on fan service. But again, just because he's a great game-designer, doesn't mean he'd be a good business man :p

Like you've all said, they will be very large shoes to fill, from a business and personality aspect. Looking back now, it certainly does seem as though the writing was on the wall. I always found it a bit bizarre as to how specific they were about Iwata's illness, I feel as though most companies/pr wouldn't go into as much detail as to say exactly what the problem was. Not only that but his lack of Nintendo Direct appearances, his abscence from E3 and the masses of plans he put into place this year, almost ensuring Nintendo were on the right path even after his passing. Very sad.

sakurai gets my vote.