NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Thank you so much for this ma'brah! Its funny, as a gift and with the aim of playing casually, and along with the prices - the Wii U is alright... In a side-chick, "If you're buying..." kinda way.

Kind of like the GC, the gems of the console require a bit of a search and I can appreciate the backward compatibility (just not having to purchase wiimotes and classic controllers etc) to get the games I missed.

Definitely was a surreal moment experiencing AC3 and Arkham City on a Nintendo console, so AC4 will be a definite buy. I felt the same with MK8 and Smash - I think in the case of Smash I just burned out after having the 3DS version first and not seeing the need to get it on U.

: peace:

I get what you mean about it being surreal, especially with Batman. I remember thinking, "Wow, this is awesome, I can't wait for more games like this!"

A bit sad how it's turned out. Still, there's a few decent games in there. I plan to pick up Deus Ex at some point, as I've heard many good things about it. Lego City seems to be permanently at a high price, so I haven't picked it up yet.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

What are Nintendo going to have as their Christmas title this year? Xenoblade Chronicles X? That's alright for me but it's not going to wash with the masses.

Last year we had Smash Bros. Wii U and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Or even Halloween? Again there was Bayonetta 1&2.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash? God help us if that's their plan for Christmas.

Edited by Wii

Toad was january....

I think Mario Maker, Star Fox, Fatal Frame, Xenoblade, Mario Tennis is a better collection of games than we we got last year.

Toad was january....

I think Mario Maker, Star Fox, Fatal Frame, Xenoblade, Mario Tennis is a better collection of games than we we got last year.

Oh yeah, Starfox. :(

Super Mario Maker is the start of September, that'll be great. Fatal Frame should be good, it doesn't have a release date though you'd imagine Halloween.

Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival are turd sandwiches.

Starfox could have been good but it's rushed, looks fugly, generic, lacks online, dual controls are a forced necessity and not comfortable. If they turn it around I'll be impressed but some things won't change like leaving out online.

Oh and Toad was out everywhere else for Christmas including the early release in the UK and a few other spots in Europe even though it was officially January 2nd.

Ok, King_V. Here's my thoughts on your situation.

I notice the lack of Splatoon from your list(not saying it should or shouldn't be there) - curious if it's missing for a reason? Whatever faults I manage to level at the game it's enjoyable for what you get and incredibly moreish - I've had over 30-35 hours with it already and barely touched the single-player side of things.

Be careful if you get it though King_V - you might find yourself not playing anything else!

Oh yeah, Starfox. :(

Super Mario Maker is the start of September, that'll be great. Fatal Frame should be good, it doesn't have a release date though you'd imagine Halloween.

Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival are turd sandwiches.

Starfox could have been good but it's rushed, looks fugly, generic, lacks online, dual controls are a forced necessity and not comfortable. If they turn it around I'll be impressed but some things won't change like leaving out online.

Oh and Toad was out everywhere else for Christmas including the early release in the UK and a few other spots in Europe even though it was officially January 2nd.

Star Fox may turn out to be amazing. Let's hope so! Doubt it, but there's still hope for that. Mario Tennis will be great if you like mario tennis games, which I do, so i can't wait for that personally. And yeah, didn't even include Animal Crossing...

As for Toad, doesn't matter if people got it early, people may get games for next year early too, all that matters is its release dates as that's what we're chatting about!

I notice the lack of Splatoon from your list(not saying it should or shouldn't be there) - curious if it's missing for a reason? Whatever faults I manage to level at the game it's enjoyable for what you get and incredibly moreish - I've had over 30-35 hours with it already and barely touched the single-player side of things.

Be careful if you get it though King_V - you might find yourself not playing anything else!

It's probably a good game deep down, but there's too many draw backs I think (in typical Nintendo fashion) that dissuade me from wanting to play it. A team shooter where you can't verbally communicate with your team...ok, Nintendo. That Honest Game Trailers video for me summed it up quite well, I thought.

Also, it's come at totally the wrong time for me. I'm living on The Witcher 3 and it's become my favourite game of all time. Batman is still sealed on my table ready to go after I've finished with this, but I can't put this down. I can't remember the last game where I put so much time and effort into it and felt like I truly knew that world inside out, or I became so invested in it.

Probably one to add on the list for King_V to give a go. If he's WiiU-only, I'm sure he'll get a lot of playtime out of it.

As far as Splatoon goes, I'd not say it's a must-have. Overall I prefer CoD Black Ops 2 as far as a shooter goes and would recommend that over Splatoon.

Edited by Kav

50863C6C-1D5C-4F95-8725-EE152B9C9616_zpsrnydkht4.jpg

Very good. I was hoping someone would recognise the reference.

As far as Splatoon goes, I'd not say it's a must-have. Overall I prefer CoD Black Ops 2 as far as a shooter goes and would recommend that over Splatoon.

If only Black Ops 2 wasn't a generic iterative FPS we've seen a thousand times repackaged in lots of similar ways. Splatoon is something totally new and different and that makes it must have for me.

Plus comparing the two is like comparing Mario Galaxy with Tomb Raider.

Overall, I'd probably pick Black Ops II as well if it had a stronger online community though that's not the games fault. Splatoon is great fun and hugely different from other games but there's a lot of frustration with it too.

If only Black Ops 2 wasn't a generic iterative FPS we've seen a thousand times repackaged in lots of similar ways. Splatoon is something totally new and different and that makes it must have for me.

Plus comparing the two is like comparing Mario Galaxy with Tomb Raider.

As generic as it is Ronnie, I still think it's a much better package than Splatoon, if someone wants a shooter for the WiiU I'd point them at BO2.

Also, I find it funny how you point out that we've seen these types of games thousands of times yet you're actually yet to play one.

It's like saying I've seen thousands of people have steak but I won't ever have one because so many others do. It's just generic. Whereas a steak is a nice dish!

Also, I find it funny how you point out that we've seen these types of games thousands of times yet you're actually yet to play one.

Doesn't stop me from commenting that we've seen those types of games hundreds of times before. I don't need to have played one to notice that. (and I have played a bit of COD)

It's like saying I've seen thousands of people have steak but I won't ever have one because so many others do. It's just generic. Whereas a steak is a nice dish!

It's not like saying that at all. I'm not playing COD because so many others do, I'm not playing COD because it's not my kind of game. I'm not a fan of steak, therefore I won't eat it. (well I'm a big fan of steak but you know what I mean)

As generic as it is Ronnie, I still think it's a much better package than Splatoon, if someone wants a shooter for the WiiU I'd point them at BO2.

I understand what you mean even though I'm not a big fan of steak. That's not a euphemism, I really don't care for steak.

The thought of steak is always a lot better than the actual steak. I'm continually disappointed by it.

Ok so after having posted that I couldn't resist and went and cooked myself some steak for lunch! Haha

Doesn't stop me from commenting that we've seen those types of games hundreds of times before. I don't need to have played one to notice that...

Ok, but what's your point in saying that? It doesn't stop CoD being good. We've seen thousands of Mario's but it doesn't stop them being good.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd recommend Splatoon too, but it's just if someone was to look for a shooter I'd go for BO2 of the two.

Edited by Kav
Automerged Doublepost

I wouldn't call Splatoon a shooter so I'd probably agree :)

So what is the deal with Splat Fests? How does it work? They run for 24 hours and you can play whenever you want?

I wouldn't call Splatoon a shooter so I'd probably agree :)

So what is the deal with Splat Fests? How does it work? They run for 24 hours and you can play whenever you want?

Actually you could call the ranked mode a shooter, at least now with the tower mode.

Actually you could call the ranked mode a shooter, at least now with the tower mode.

A shooter every alternating 4 hours. :heh:

A shooter every alternating 4 hours. :heh:

I played it for an hour or so, so I don't know what happens there with the rotation, but the tower mode is actually a shooter.

I played it for an hour or so, so I don't know what happens there with the rotation, but the tower mode is actually a shooter.

It changes to Splat zones.

It changes to Splat zones.

OK, so rangked mode is something like a quarter shooter :D.

Anyway, I can say that I like all the modes, they just need to unlock them all for all of us. It's like a puzzle, where you can see great pieces, but you are not allowed to put it together (plus VC and some issues with controles).