NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Hope your family aren't total gits!

Seriously though, I welcome this. There's more than enough stupidity on Miiverse. Nice to see Ninty cracking down on people trying to get past restrictions.

EDIT: Oh lord, the replies on that Miiverse post only cement my point further, I can always count on outraged Miiverse users to be utterly dumb.

Edited by Glen-i

And taking into account this being a new IP on the WiiU. It's quite impressive.

I hope this encourages Ninty to carry on trying more new IP's out. There are some right gems that have come about from this. Even though they're mostly overlooked.

*Cough*Dillon's Rolling Western*cough

Hopefully it'll also encourage Nintendo to further embrace online multiplayer. I always had a feeling this game is Nintendo testing the water with their install base.

Not sure if this should go in the job woes/wins thread but it's very much Nintendo related...

Just had a photo session with quite a famous photographer (in the acting world at least) he wanted to see some of my past Headshots which, handily, I had saved to my phone some time ago. Set up the first one for him. "for the next one just slide left" I said. Of course he slides right, to reveal a picture of all three Yarn Yoshi Amiibo I had screenshotted a month or so ago.

The look he gave me...

Not sure if this should go in the job woes/wins thread but it's very much Nintendo related...

Just had a photo session with quite a famous photographer (in the acting world at least) he wanted to see some of my past Headshots which, handily, I had saved to my phone some time ago. Set up the first one for him. "for the next one just slide left" I said. Of course he slides right, to reveal a picture of all three Yarn Yoshi Amiibo I had screenshotted a month or so ago.

The look he gave me...

That's fantastic!

Was it a look of complete and utter jealousy?

Nintendo: Wii U has a lot of quality games, NX shows company’s commitment to dedicated game hardware

The Financial Post has posted a few more comments from Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s vice president of sales and marketing. Moffitt mainly commented on how the Wii U has plenty of quality games, and how NX shows the company’s commitment to dedicated gaming hardware.

Here’s a quick roundup of what was shared:

On how Wii U still has a lot to offer…

“Our job and our goal is through our first-party games, to build the installed base up so that it makes it easy for third-party publisher to bring their third-party content to our systems.”

On the quality of Wii U games…

“If you look at just one indicator of game quality, which is Metacritic score and the user score, and what the gold standard we believe is an 85 Metacritic score and an 85 user score, meaning both critics and game fans alike thought the game was great. When you look at that standard measure there are more games to play on Wii U than there are on either of the two current generation platforms. As a measure of quality, there’s great quality to be enjoyed on Wii U. And that we think is maybe more important than just the number of games and where they come from (whether it’s first-party or third-party).”

On announcing NX a few months ago…

“Our first focus is maximize the sales potential of Wii U and 3DS and we have great content coming that we think will help us do that. But we also have an eye for the future. One of the reasons for mentioning NX in the financial announcement was linked to the reveal of our partnership with DeNA about the mobile gaming initiative.”

“We wanted to ensure that our game fans know that Nintendo remains very committed to the dedicated game device business. While we recognize the appeal of the mobile gaming space and the broad number of units that are out there, and that we wanted to develop content for smart devices, at the same time we want to remind fans that we remain committed to a dedicated gaming platform.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-wii-u-has-a-lot-of-quality-games-nx-shows-companys-commitment-to-dedicated-game-hardware/

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/nintendos-vp-of-sales-explain-why-you-should-still-buy-a-wii-u-and-discusses-nx?__lsa=220b-bf08

See Nintendo like using Metacritic too.

KIDS REACT TO MARIO VS MINECRAFT

Tis funny.

Breaking news from Nintendo's AGM. I'll keep updating it as it happens for as long as I'm awake.

Details from Nintendo’s 75th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders

Nintendo’s 75th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders is currently progress. We’ll be posting everything that was shared during the event below, courtesy of translations from Cheesemeister.

Intro

– New 3DS selling well, but the old 3DS did not, so HW sales were 8.73m. SW selling well. Pokemon, Smash numbers.

– Mario Kart 8 at 5.11m, Smash Wii U at 3.65m. Wii U HW 2.88m.

– Entertainment has value, centering on dedicated platforms. Providing premium experiences only available on such. Making more SW.

– Xenoblade for New 3DS released. Rhythm Heaven, FE: if released. Supporting 1st-party and strong 3rd-party SW.

– On Wii U, Splatoon, Yoshi’s Woolly World, and Super Mario Maker are being released.

– Card-based and yarn amiibo are being released. The NFC dongle for old 3DS and 2DS being released. Looking to increase demand.

– Supporting amiibo on Smash 3DS with the NFC dongle.

– About DeNA, starting smart device apps this year. Smart devices different from dedicated consoles, so even w/ same IP, adapting play styles to suit smart devices will maximize value and drive the expansion of the gaming population.

– Continuing with film adaptations and character merchandising to increase mind-share of IPs. Ex: Universal agreement. More later.

– Making a marketing appeal for the IPs through experiences only possible at theme parks.

– Making progress with QOL. (No details given.)

– 1st measure: distribution of dividends.

– 2nd measure: selection of board members.

Q&A

Q1: Is there a breakdown of packaged vs. download sales of 3DS and Wii U software?

There’s a difference in value on packaged and download versions of 3DS and Wii U software.

Iwata: We believe download versions have the same value and should be priced the same. Some companies price DLs cheaper due to the there being no used sales or store price reductions. We stress the value of Nintendo software, so we price the same. Purchases can be made through the eShop or with download cards bought at stores. We typically don’t discount, but stores may. There are different risks with each. Packaged versions carry inventory risk. Download versions aren’t activated without going through the register first. Being on-demand, there is no inventory risk. Nintendo cannot control the price of packaged versions. Doing so would infringe the law. We know some aren’t satisfied w/o a diff. We plan to provide some benefit with the new membership service starting in the fall.

Q2: Would it be possible to change the minimum stock purchase from 100 to 10 or 20 shares? It’s expensive for individuals to buy.

Reducing the minimum stock purchase would increase the number of shareholders, and may possibly increase the price. Right now, it’s limited by regulation. Changes to Tokyo Stock Exchange market regulations weren’t possible. Mins can’t be changed, so a split would be required. A split might be a plus for some, but undesired by others. Will consider.

Q3: Consecutive launches of 3DS and Wii U were a failure. 3DS recovered with a revised price, but Wii U can’t. Will NX suffer too?

As you say, the launches didn’t go well. Especially the Wii U. The 3DS was restructured domestically with several measures. The Wii U has not been restructured. Looking back, the DS didn’t sell very well right away, but was propelled by Brain Training. Ideally sales would start well, but only Wii has really done that. NX was announced as a new platform alongside the DeNA venture. The NX was announced then to indicate that we are not retreating from game platforms and will continue the hardware business. Normally, the announcement would’ve been made later. It was like revealing a magic trick ahead of time. New proposals require surprises to follow. Such information on the NX won’t be announced until 2016. No announcements today. Third-party hardware selections are based primarily upon install base numbers. Several unannounced collaborations with 3rd-parties are making progress.

Q4: Randy Johnson’s number 51 should probably be retired (baseball), but it’d overlap with Ichiro’s number. Any thoughts?

NOA owns the Seattle Mariners as passed down by former President Yamauchi. It was unexpected for a Japanese business to own a Major League team, so we plan to continue valuing it. Randy Johnson and Ichiro’s numbers are not decided by Nintendo. Personally, I’m friendly with Ichiro and would like to cheer him on, but that doesn’t answer your question.

Q6: About E3, there were few software titles shown this year. Why were only titles to be released this year shown?

Miyamoto: Regarding E3, what you said is partially true. It’s available on the Internet, so it’s a global announcement. However, it’s normally an event aimed at the NA business. It’s not only for titles coming soon; last year, experiments shown. This year’s announcements didn’t include licensee software, so the number was low. This criticism is understood. Sony and Microsoft had many announcements of future titles that were not playable. VR lined the floor as a dream exhibit. There were lots of video demos of those titles. Nintendo played them. They received high praise as living room game consoles. We collected lots of data and positive impressions.

Iwata: We realize Nintendo fans in Japan were disappointed. It’s a US trade show, so what’s included there is done with both global and American audiences in mind. This is what Nintendo’s booth looked like. It was different from other companies'; everyone was smiling, having fun with games. We didn’t hold a press conference, but had a Digital Event. Before that, we held the Nintendo World Championships. NWC was very lively. We want to correct the lack of satisfaction with E3 streams, but as a whole, reactions weren’t all bad. As Miyamoto said regarding short-term E3 announcements, we decide this on a yearly basis. We talk about future titles when needed. There are years when products are more finished and we can communicate their appeal. That may explain the difference this year.

Q7: As a game fan, I’m worried about the split between the NX and Wii U.

Iwata: We can’t talk about the NX. If we do, competitors may take our ideas and customers won’t be surprised. This would not be beneficial for the company or its shareholders. The NX is new hardware, and will start from 0. However, the 3DS and Wii U have install bases. Immediately cutting off SW for previous HW upon the release of a new machine is inefficient. We will continue making 3DS/Wii SW while preparing for the NX. We are prioritizing satisfying customers who purchased the Wii U.

Q8: Apps for smart devices will be released this year, but will they be paid or freemium? What’s the target age group?

Iwata: Smart devices include phones and tablets, which have large global install bases. Profits on big hits are very large. However, this isn’t an easy world in which just adding famous Nintendo characters will result in a big hit. As for monetization, there are regular sales and paid items or “free to play” systems. I don’t think that “free to play” is a good word, so I call it “free to start.” Regular sales aren’t succeeding. Apps for smart devices are highly competitive, and priced low. Some are discounted 90%. As for free to start, it’s possible to sell better progress rates or rare items. It’s becoming a societal problem. Globally, there are more that charge small prices to many users. Nintendo wants to make many apps that are global hits. We want to target many users irrespective of age, gender, game experience, or region to earn small payments from many users. We’re planning titles for this year and next, but not a large number of them. Console SW have big impacts on release, & slow down. Smart device apps’ users gradually increase. Development doesn’t end. I want to raise a few of these.

Q9: Using a player’s face in a game is usually just of the person holding the machine, but will you show others’ faces? I want to buy lots of Nintendo merchandise, but there’s no Nintendo bread. There is candy. Could there be Uniqlo shirts, or shoes?

For character faces, Mii characters have been used since the Wii. They have lots of freedom and appear in games. Using faces resembling your favorite hero or heroine is difficult. Is it better to have more licensed products for the sake of it? There’s quality control. Characters become consumable. Nintendo wants to raise its IP over the long-term. Making positive use of them isn’t in the quantity, but in increasing quality.

Q10: Your company appears to hold lots of its own stock. How do you plan to use it?

Iwata: Yes, the company holds more than usual. It’s a point of discussion. Famicom is 32 this year. We’re approaching a turning point, so we’d like people to hold. We’re thinking of redeeming more and such upon achieving results. We’re thinking of the timing to use our shares for mergers & acquisitions and partnerships.

Q11: Are you planning to make more use of Nintendo characters? Pokemon anime is popular worldwide.

Iwata: This Q&A overlaps with the previous one. We consider this internally and think globally. Short-term hits may be oversupplied, creating cases of excess stock and character value damage.

Q12: How are Virtual Console sales? Some SW can only be acquired on Virtual Console. Can anything be done about discontinued SW? I was also happy to hear about Splatoon reaching 1m sales.

Iwata: We’re happy that Splatoon, in which new squid characters squirt ink, has been received well and sold 1m quickly. We do not disclose individual Virtual Console sales numbers, as there would be no end to them. Virtual Console releases require testing, checking for present-day issues, and other various work. It’s not that we don’t want to put in the effort, but there’s new SW development, so we can’t use our limited headcount just on old products. With a few exceptions, we have the rights to Nintendo titles and can release them, but negotiating 3rd-party SW isn’t easy. We want to strive to continue providing a satisfactory Virtual Console lineup.

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-75th-annual-general-meeting-of-shareholders/

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k

O.K. Who was it that let the crazy b@st@rd in the room for question 9? Nintendo bread? Get out! There's only so many questions allowed be asked and you've wasted 1 of them.

RkQbPnZ.png

20120402-215511.jpg

There's your consumable characters or maybe Nintendo are toast. :heh:

That question reminded me of last years AGM and the shareholder who didn't understand video games and why shareholders were asking Nintendo questions about them, so I went looking for it and found an article with other stupid questions from previous AGM's.

I hope that wasn't the same shareholder.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/07/weirdness_the_peculiar_questions_of_a_typical_nintendo_agm

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Iwata: We realize Nintendo fans in Japan were disappointed.

Yeah, it wasn't just Japan that was disappointed with the show.:heh:

We are prioritizing satisfying customers who purchased the Wii U.

That was another notable quote.

I'm still laughing at question 9.

Shareholder: Sunrise, Sunset, Sunrise, Sunset, (sings faster) Cats and the cradle and the silver spoon. Yes, Nintendo has no bread. (starts sobbing)

Iwata: Please understand!

Shareholder: No, it's not that, they have no bread. (runs away crying)

Q3: Consecutive launches of 3DS and Wii U were a failure. 3DS recovered with a revised price, but Wii U can’t. Will NX suffer too?

The most important question after the last two horrific launch periods.

The most important question after the last two horrific launch periods.

It's an interesting question and one that will be on MANY gamers minds.

The Wii U has destroyed a lot of goodwill, especially during the launch period. I mean, when NX does arrive, how many are going to believe Iwata if he comes out and says they have great 3rd party support and there will be no droughts? Once bitten twice shy.

The Wii U has destroyed a lot of goodwill, especially during the launch period. I mean, when NX does arrive, how many are going to believe Iwata if he comes out and says they have great 3rd party support and there will be no droughts? Once bitten twice shy.

Indeed, though I have faith.

Indeed, though I have faith.

Sadly, many don't. They already lost a lot of their fan base during the Wii era and even more seemed to left them during this generation.

One thing I know is that the NX launch better be something spectacular. Get a new 3D Mario out at launch, have Retro have something ready ( I said not long after the NX announcement that if Retro didn't show up at E3 then a launch NX game would be their next move ) and, this ones important, get your freaking online stuff up to scratch. Honestly, I think a lot of people, especially on here, would be happy if they just sorted their online stuff out.

If they haven't learnt their lessons regarding the online stuff then I can honestly see me not getting one at launch. They've had too many chances to get it right and failed at every step.

Sadly, many don't. They already lost a lot of their fan base during the Wii era and even more seemed to left them during this generation.

One thing I know is that the NX launch better be something spectacular. Get a new 3D Mario out at launch, have Retro have something ready ( I said not long after the NX announcement that if Retro didn't show up at E3 then a launch NX game would be their next move ) and, this ones important, get your freaking online stuff up to scratch. Honestly, I think a lot of people, especially on here, would be happy if they just sorted their online stuff out.

If they haven't learnt their lessons regarding the online stuff then I can honestly see me not getting one at launch. They've had too many chances to get it right and failed at every step.

I honestly believe they have learned their lesson and are going to knock the launch out of the park.

Though I do have doubts the device(s) will take off like crazy. I imagine moderate to good success. Nintendo will never be huge again.

I honestly believe they have learned their lesson and are going to knock the launch out of the park.

Though I do have doubts the device(s) will take off like crazy. I imagine moderate to good success. Nintendo will never be huge again.

Games wise, I want to believe. However, when it comes to online, I still have some very serious doubts. The fact that online games they are releasing today ( Splatoon ) and soon ( Zelda: Triforce Heroes ) don't have a simple thing like voice chat isn't encouraging at all.

Yeah Ive been thinking about this, I think Animal Crossing was going to be for wii u and moved so I be that will be ready. But they can't shoot their load with all the ig releases straight away.

I think, presuming it's a hybrid of sorts, then they should launch with Monster Hunter 5, Animal Crossing and a Pokemon which works across both devices, showing off the portable and home play and such. And a huge 3D mario.

Also show off Metroid for the following 'season'.

I also think, if the console uses a Wi U base (I'm sure they mentioned it would) then all wii u titles will work on it, rebrand all the games with NX boxes, release Mario Kart, Smash and Splatoon Special Editons with all the DLC bundled in. Due to the low sales of the wii u surely these will be attractive purchases too?!

Games wise, I want to believe. However, when it comes to online, I still have some very serious doubts. The fact that online games they are releasing today ( Splatoon ) and soon ( Zelda: Triforce Heroes ) don't have a simple thing like voice chat isn't encouraging at all.

3rnvk6.jpg

:p

I also think, if the console uses a Wi U base (I'm sure they mentioned it would) then all wii u titles will work on it, rebrand all the games with NX boxes, release Mario Kart, Smash and Splatoon Special Editons with all the DLC bundled in. Due to the low sales of the wii u surely these will be attractive purchases too?!

A big part of me doesn't want them to use the Wii U as a base. As much as I love the Gamepad, I think the thing has been weighing the company down. I would like them to start things from scratch.

The amount of controller options is just getting beyond a joke at this point. The problem is they can't really do away with these things if they want to keep things backwards compatible, due to the amount of motion stuff that's in a lot of their games.

They really have got themselves in a bit of a mess and it's going to be interesting to see how they fare next generation.

3rnvk6.jpg

:p

Exactly and that's why I have my doubts.

Need to remember to plug in my Wii U this weekend and download any updates that are waiting if I'm gonna play Yoshi's Woolly World once im done with Batman. My Dreamcast took over that particular plug last week to play Shenmue!

Zelda being a lunch title is a banker I think. The first 6 months they just need to have a steady stream of content.

All the key services need to be up and running day 1. The 3DS for example having no eshop @ launch was ridiculous.

The speed of the UI needs to be up to scratch day 1 and not another Wii U where we are waiting for patches just to be able to click through some menus without waiting forever.

Zelda being a lunch title is a banker I think. The first 6 months they just need to have a steady stream of content.

All the key services need to be up and running day 1. The 3DS for example having no eshop @ launch was ridiculous.

The speed of the UI needs to be up to scratch day 1 and not another Wii U where we are waiting for patches just to be able to click through some menus without waiting forever.

My issue with Zelda being a launch title is that it's still coming to the Wii U. It was the same as TP and the Gamecube and it didn't feel as special. I would rather the game be built up for the console, instead of having it ported across.

A good launch can quickly turn around any negativity. I didn't buy a Wii at launch, as I had got a bit bored with gaming and just had kids, the minute I played Wii Sports I bought one asap (would have been the next day, but there was no stock for weeks) If they do it right people will soon forget about the bad Wii U days. But as I have said before, they need 3rd parties on board. No CODless/FIFAless console will succeed.

I really just want a traditional controller, hell, bring back the Gamecube controller.

I understand Nintendo are all about innovation but I'd much rather they focus their efforts solely on the actual games themselves and not on incorporating new input devices or peripherals.

I really just want a traditional controller, hell, bring back the Gamecube controller.

I understand Nintendo are all about innovation but I'd much rather they focus their efforts solely on the actual games themselves and not on incorporating new input devices or peripherals.

GamePad is a traditional controller in every sense, except it also has a screen in it :p