NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Back to the WiiU then.

I think Nintendo have been given enough chances to improve and people are getting fed up with it, hence the backlash. I don't think Nintendo will ever improve, so should be removed from my gaming consciousness for the sake of the overall experience.

A lot of people on here ( and given the sale figures, elsewhere as well ) have come to the same conclusion. Without the expanded market Nintendo are slowly going to become irrelevant in the console market. Their user base is dwindling and it's going to take a dramatic shift in the way they go about creating a console, or they need to hit the jackpot with another gimmick, to turn things around.

I've been listening to a few post E3 podcasts over the past couple of days and one thing that has popped up in a bunch of them is just how alone Nintendo are. 3rd party support has all but abandoned them and this was never more evident than at this years E3.

They are already missing out on big titles such as Creed, Fifa, CoD. People may not care for these games but these are the ones driving the business and this year it's even worse. Battlefront, providing it works, will no doubt be one of the biggest hits of the year due to the fact that it's been a while since a BF game was released and it will ride the hype of the new movie, yet it won't be on the Wii U. It's not just western support either. S-E seem to be getting their act together lately and have a bunch of JRPGs on the way that won't make their way to Wii U.

If their next console doesn't sort this MAJOR problem out then they are once again going to find themselves backed into a corner.

I hate to see them have another disappointing console. Please Nintendo, I still love the games you do actually make, so go 3rd party

Maybe them talking about transformation is a hint that they want to become something more than a games company.

Especially considering the Universal deal, the craving/hype for amiibo, the Pikmin short movies...

Maybe they are trying to find new markets for their IP because they struggle with modern videogame taste and needs.

They never made a secret about their preferences: bright, colourful, family friendly, all about gameplay, fun, blue ocean.

In a way it all adds up to me and I think Nintendo feels they need to build on their beloved IP and turn it into more than videogames. Movies, boardgames, amusement parks, tv series, opera's, musicals, comic books, other merchandise. Much like Disney and Marvel. Just look at Cars, Frozen, Monsters Inc.... Those are HUGE!

I would be happier with Nintendo getting bought by Disney than them becoming third party.

Maybe them talking about transformation is a hint that they want to become something more than a games company.

Especially considering the Universal deal, the craving/hype for amiibo, the Pikmin short movies...

Maybe they are trying to find new markets for their IP because they struggle with modern videogame taste and needs.

They never made a secret about their preferences: bright, colourful, family friendly, all about gameplay, fun, blue ocean.

In a way it all adds up to me and I think Nintendo feels they need to build on their beloved IP and turn it into more than videogames. Movies, boardgames, amusement parks, tv series, opera's, musicals, comic books, other merchandise. Much like Disney and Marvel. Just look at Cars, Frozen, Monsters Inc.... Those are HUGE!

I would be happier with Nintendo getting bought by Disney than them becoming third party.

While games will continue to be their bread and butter, I do think their desire to branch out is exactly for the reasons you have stated. They don't cater for a large portion of gamers, and with the handheld market being eaten away by mobile, they do need different sources of revenue to keep things going.

Using their IP for things other than games is a smart business decision ( provided that they are handled well, of course ) and one that i'm surprised to have not seen sooner.

While games will continue to be their bread and butter, I do think their desire to branch out is exactly for the reasons you have stated. They don't cater for a large portion of gamers, and with the handheld market being eaten away by mobile, they do need different sources of revenue to keep things going.

Using their IP for things other than games is a smart business decision ( provided that they are handled well, of course ) and one that i'm surprised to have not seen sooner.

It's also a very smart thing. Microsoft and Sony have their other divisions which allow them to eat up loss at the start of a generation, should that occur. Nintendo doesn't have that, which is why they had 3 years of financial loss following the 3DS being sold at a loss and then the Wii U being sold at a loss.

By leveraging their IP in other ways, as well as QoL and mobile, they will make some decent cash on the site and it'll allow them to be more experimental and daring with their hardware, rather than too safe.

Imagine Disney putting Nintendo in charge of their full videogame branch :indeed:

Marvel, Disney, Star Wars and Nintendo IP would work really good together.

It would also give Disney more presence/understanding of the Japanese market and Nintendo more presence/understanding of the Western market.

East meets West, could make both brands so much stronger and more diverse...

Imagine Disney putting Nintendo in charge of their full videogame branch :indeed:

Marvel, Disney, Star Wars and Nintendo IP would work really good together.

It would also give Disney more presence/understanding of the Japanese market and Nintendo more presence/understanding of the Western market.

East meets West, could make both brands so much stronger and more diverse...

If there's any company that buys Nintendo, I also hope it'd be Disney. Disney puts such faith in the things they purchase. Marvel and Star Wars have been treated beautifully since the purchase. Nintendo could thrive and take more risks.

Ideally, though, I don't want it to happen :p

I do think that Nintendo will only survive on its own if it changes drastically.

Merging with a bigger company (like Disney) would allow them to stay the way they are.

What would you prefer?

1. Nintendo changing into something more gamers want (and losing some of what makes them what they are now)

2. Continuing the way they are now but being under the wings of a company like Disney?

Highly speculative of course, but what if you HAD to choose?

I prefer the latter but the first could also bring new things to the table.

Both are better than what happens now to Nintendo...

A lot of people on here ( and given the sale figures, elsewhere as well ) have come to the same conclusion. Without the expanded market Nintendo are slowly going to become irrelevant in the console market. Their user base is dwindling and it's going to take a dramatic shift in the way they go about creating a console, or they need to hit the jackpot with another gimmick, to turn things around.

I've been listening to a few post E3 podcasts over the past couple of days and one thing that has popped up in a bunch of them is just how alone Nintendo are. 3rd party support has all but abandoned them and this was never more evident than at this years E3.

They are already missing out on big titles such as Creed, Fifa, CoD. People may not care for these games but these are the ones driving the business and this year it's even worse. Battlefront, providing it works, will no doubt be one of the biggest hits of the year due to the fact that it's been a while since a BF game was released and it will ride the hype of the new movie, yet it won't be on the Wii U. It's not just western support either. S-E seem to be getting their act together lately and have a bunch of JRPGs on the way that won't make their way to Wii U.

If their next console doesn't sort this MAJOR problem out then they are once again going to find themselves backed into a corner.

Emily Rogers did a great piece recently about the Wii U audience and how badly Nintendo marketed the Wii U. If you want to attract children to your console, sports games are BY FAR the best titles to push out onto your system. What's weird is that Nintendo could actually cultivate an audience for 3rd party sports titles on their consoles because unlike Sony and Microsoft, they actually have some decent I.P available. Wave Race, 1080, Excitetruck etc could all pull in that audience. Maybe fund an exclusive Fight Night game (with a playable Reggie..obv) and you're all set.

She also pointed out that the Wii U had more mature titles at launch than any other console in history, but the advertising focused on family gaming which made no sense.

I do think that Nintendo will only survive on its own if it changes drastically.

Merging with a bigger company (like Disney) would allow them to stay the way they are.

What would you prefer?

1. Nintendo changing into something more gamers want (and losing some of what makes them what they are now)

2. Continuing the way they are now but being under the wings of a company like Disney?

Highly speculative of course, but what if you HAD to choose?

I prefer the latter but the first could also bring new things to the table.

Both are better than what happens now to Nintendo...

It's like Sophie's Choice :p

Emily Rogers did a great piece recently about the Wii U audience and how badly Nintendo marketed the Wii U. If you want to attract children to your console, sports games are BY FAR the best titles to push out onto your system. What's weird is that Nintendo could actually cultivate an audience for 3rd party sports titles on their consoles because unlike Sony and Microsoft, they actually have some decent I.P available. Wave Race, 1080, Excitetruck etc could all pull in that audience. Maybe fund an exclusive Fight Night game (with a playable Reggie..obv) and you're all set.

She also pointed out that the Wii U had more mature titles at launch than any other console in history, but the advertising focused on family gaming which made no sense.

Agreed. Nintendo totally ballsed up the launch and the lack of sports titles on the Wii U.

Nintendo Life reports that back in 2011, Nintendo reached out to Criterion, creators of the Burnout franchise, to work on a pitch for an F-Zero that would be shown at E3 that year, with the game itself launching in 2012 alongside the Wii U. Unfortunately, Criterion weren’t able to commit to it as they were too busy with their own series.

While this isn’t official information, Liam Robertson, known for his work with Unseen64, usually is pretty accurate in his reports.

--Taken from NintendoEverything

n4OICYI.gif

:blank: :blank: :blank:

At least it means Nintendo sees future in the series, right?

F-Zero Blast Tennis coming in 2017!

Yeah Criterion had been moved onto Need for Speed by then, not suprising they wouldnt have the time to work on it.

Unfortunately, Criterion weren’t able to commit to it as they were too busy with their own series.

That's a complete lie. They were busy with Need for Speed, not their own series.

These articles make it sound like Criterion had the choice. They would have needed permission from EA to either reduce work on NfS or to start work on F-Zero.

It's a good thing Nintendo tried asking another studio when Criterion said they couldn't do it and didn't just give up...

...oh, wait.

Nintendo should have bought Bizarre off Activision with all that sweet sweet Wii money they had.

Nintendo should have bought Bizarre off Activision with all that sweet sweet Wii money they had.

Or form a new UK studio, hire staff form Studio Liverpool and Bizarre Creations, try and entice ex-Rare staff and ex-Free Radical staff to the studio.

If that rumour is true then it also means Miyamoto lied in subsequent interviews about F-Zero. We can argue over what's the best launch game but it's undeniable that Rogue Leader showed the Gamecube was a little graphical beast. I bought it at launch instead of Luigi's Mansion and loved it.

If I remember right I got both Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Leader at launch and loved both of them. I would play another single mansion, full console Luigi's Mansion and definitely would be up for another Rogue Leader.

Luigi's Mansion was great too but I didn't buy it for a couple of years after that. Heard it short and it was. I'd love another Luigi's Mansion on a home console. There'd been rumours of porting the 3DS game. What about that arcade game? Again, much like Fatal Frame, the Wii U gamepad could have been put to good use.

Didn't most of the original Criterion crew break away and form a new independent studio? Sumo Digital or ex Wipeout developers would be other good people to approach. The NX needs a big launch title to win over core Nintendo fans, a flashy new F-Zero would make a big statement. I can dream anyway.

Pilotwings NX please, and make it more like the SNES game and less the vanilla 3DS one.

The Wii U is likely to go a year without a AAA game. Smash Bros. being the last game. Xenoblade Chronicles X, which I can't wait for but isn't everyones cup of tea will probably be the next game and possibly the last if Zelda doesn't come out on Wii U. All the games in the interim have averaged 80% or less. Starfox I can nearly say with confidence won't be a AAA game. Fatal Frame will probably be an 80 something game.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 81%

Mario Party 10 - 66%

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars - 70%

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush - 73%

Splatoon - 81%

Yoshi's Woolly World - 79%

Seems like they're just going through the motions. Did I miss a game? I don't think so.

I don't think you understand what AAA means. It has nothing to do with how it reviewed.

If you want AAA Nintendo games this year: Splatoon, Yoshi, Mario Maker, Star Fox and Xenoblade.