NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

If people are going to say the Wii U only has platformers, I don't see the problem with saying other consoles only have shooters.

If people are going to say the Wii U only has platformers, I don't see the problem with saying other consoles only have shooters.
I think it's more to do with the lack of games in every other genre. Yes you can name a game in pretty much every genre for the Wii U, but you'd be hard pressed to name many more (of quality).

giphy.gif

How petty and childish is that?

Christ, grow up.

Other consoles release nothing but shooters, Nintendo consoles release nothing but platformers.

1.There is significant variety on other consoles. In fact, other than Killzone I can't actually name a shooter made by Sony..FPSs have mainly come from 3rd parties.

2. Platform games don't sell systems.

3. NSMB, SM3DW and DK were the last thing the console needed in the first 18 months, especially when other genres were desperately needed.

I highly doubt there would be any complaining if the Wii U was getting the exact same third party 'shooters' (something that seems to encompass a range of genre in this sense) and bolstering the success of the console. As it stands, its just an easy target to take.

1.There is significant variety on other consoles. In fact, other than Killzone I can't actually name a shooter made by Sony..FPSs have mainly come from 3rd parties.

I wasn't counting the handful of Sony first party games, just the AAA games in general. Also, not specifically FPS's, just shooters in general.

2. Platform games don't sell systems.

They do to me, but you're probably right. Sad really imo.

3. NSMB, SM3DW and DK were the last thing the console needed in the first 18 months, especially when other genres were desperately needed.

You mean like NintendoLand, Pikmin 3, Zombie U, Lego City, Sonic, NES Remix, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8? That kind of first 18 months?

People adored Donkey Kong and 3D World.

Anyway going round in circles. The comment that the Wii U only has platformers is as silly as the comment that the other two only have shooters.

I highly doubt there would be any complaining if the Wii U was getting the exact same third party 'shooters' (something that seems to encompass a range of genre in this sense) and bolstering the success of the console. As it stands, its just an easy target to take.

I wouldn't be complaining at all. It's what modern gaming is all about and that's why it's so prevalent in AAAs.

I don't understand then @Ronnie, what do you want Sony and Microsoft to do? turn these games away from their consoles? How can you acknowledge that its third parties making them, and yet blame it on the consoles? Sony and Microsoft themselves make and back a diverse range of games.

Edited by Retro_Link

Here's the thing @Ronnie, NOBODY at all has said the WiiU has only platformers. They've said it has many and then too many more are on the way, not enough other genres.

And because of that, you'd maybe expect a Mario Strikers being released to make sense... But they make Tennis instead...

Mario Strikers would have made E3, for me :red:

For a while, now, I've felt like it and a new Metroid game would basically have ticked all the boxes I want ticked for Wii U, in addition to the new Zelda and Starfox titles.

If they were all accounted for, I would personally have been entirely at peace with the console and it could have died gracefully over the next couple of years :heh: Now, I'm kind of left wondering just how many holes are going to remain unfilled for the duration of the Wii U's existence.. from a personal standpoint, at least!

Mario Strikers would have made E3, for me :red:

For a while, now, I've felt like it and a new Metroid game would basically have ticked all the boxes I want ticked for Wii U, in addition to the new Zelda and Starfox titles.

If they were all accounted for, I would personally have been entirely at peace with the console and it could have died gracefully over the next couple of years :heh: Now, I'm kind of left wondering just how many holes are going to remain unfilled for the duration of the Wii U's existence.. from a personal standpoint, at least!

I told you that a Mario Strikers game wouldn't happen. That's what that Sonic & Mario mini game is for. They've taken the easy option again using a 3DS game as a basis for a lazy effort of another Mario Tennis.

For me, I'm still waiting on a Zelda, Metroid, Paper Mario and a real Mario game. 3 of which most likely won't happen. Who knows where Zelda will end up. If the NX version is the definitive game it could be all 4. I got not a single sports game I wanted this gen. It's hugely lacking in comparison to the Wii. Only MK8 has been truly better than last gen. Sure there's Pikmin 3 but that had no Wii competitor. Sorry if something's slipped my mind.

I told you that a Mario Strikers game wouldn't happen. That's what that Sonic & Mario mini game is for. They've taken the easy option again using a 3DS game as a basis for a lazy effort of another Mario Tennis.

For me, I'm still waiting on a Zelda, Metroid, Paper Mario and a real Mario game. 3 of which most likely won't happen. Who knows where Zelda will end up. If the NX version is the definitive game it could be all 4. I got not a single sports game I wanted this gen. It's hugely lacking in comparison to the Wii. Only MK8 has been truly better than last gen. Sure there's Pikmin 3 but that had no Wii competitor. Sorry if something's slipped my mind.

I don't want Mario Strikers, I want a proper football game, I don't want Mario Tennis I want a proper tennis game.

The Wii was brilliant, the only thing it lacked was better graphics and HD and for some reason they have not delivered this on Wii U.

I'll be generous and give them FIFA 13 as a game that accomplised this albeit once, COD did it for a while and of course Mario Kart and Smash, but that's pretty much it. Mario 3D is a step down from Galaxy, Wii Sports Club still seemed like a tec demo. Where are the Virtua Tennis and PGA on Wii U? Where is Zelda? Where is Metroid? Why haven't they brought back F-Zero, 1080, Wave Race? Surely somebody at Nintendo by now has realised that Sony seem to be doing good numbers remastering old games. Just what is everybody doing at Nintendo these days?

wiiu.jpg

In that image I see a lot of gorgeous looking games but just so many of them look way too similar. Its not hard to see where the variety complaints come from.

wiiu.jpg

Funny, I distinctly remember you complaining that screenshots can be selective and not indicative of much? :heh:

Reggie Talks About Why He Thinks The Wii U Didn’t Do So Well At First

The Nintendo of America President, Reggie Fils-Aime, has sat down in an interview with Polygon to talk about the Wii U and its somewhat troubled start. Reggie reckons the bumpy start for the Wii U is down to the lack of good games that showed the console off at launch. Miyamoto has also been speaking about the struggles of the Wii U and what factors he thinks are responsible. The sales tend to speed up and slow down again every so often, but they’re hoping the current momentum will continue. He said:

“This industry is all about content. I can map out why the Wii took off at launch, it had two killer pieces at launch: Twilight Princess, Wii Sports. Look at our DS business. Our DS business was OK, but it was the launch of DS Lite, the launch of Nintendogs, the launch of the first New Super Mario Bros. where that system sort of dramatically took off.”

“So what happened with Wii U? Once the software came that showcased the capabilities of the system, guess what happened? The hardware took off.”

“I think it began holiday of 2013 as we prepped those launches that gave us some momentum. Then Mario Kart 8 hit, then it was Smash. I think it really was holiday of ’13, when we started to get the momentum.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/22/reggie-talks-about-why-he-thinks-the-wii-u-didnt-do-so-well-at-first/

You have momentum? Has the Wii U passed 10 million yet? It's obvious great games were needed. I said launching with NintendoLand and NSMBU was lazy and not a good idea. They killed the Wii off in its last couple of years and this was what they came up with in that time. Who's surprised? Reggie needs to stop talking. Ubisoft did a better job at selling the Wii U's capabilities(ZombiU) than Nintendo and they had less time than Nintendo.

Reggie Talks About Why He Thinks The Wii U Didn’t Do So Well At First

The Nintendo of America President, Reggie Fils-Aime, has sat down in an interview with Polygon to talk about the Wii U and its somewhat troubled start. Reggie reckons the bumpy start for the Wii U is down to the lack of good games that showed the console off at launch. Miyamoto has also been speaking about the struggles of the Wii U and what factors he thinks are responsible. The sales tend to speed up and slow down again every so often, but they’re hoping the current momentum will continue. He said:

“This industry is all about content. I can map out why the Wii took off at launch, it had two killer pieces at launch: Twilight Princess, Wii Sports. Look at our DS business. Our DS business was OK, but it was the launch of DS Lite, the launch of Nintendogs, the launch of the first New Super Mario Bros. where that system sort of dramatically took off.”

“So what happened with Wii U? Once the software came that showcased the capabilities of the system, guess what happened? The hardware took off.”

“I think it began holiday of 2013 as we prepped those launches that gave us some momentum. Then Mario Kart 8 hit, then it was Smash. I think it really was holiday of ’13, when we started to get the momentum.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/22/reggie-talks-about-why-he-thinks-the-wii-u-didnt-do-so-well-at-first/

You have momentum? Has the Wii U passed 10 million yet? It's obvious great games were needed. I said launching with NintendoLand and NSMBU was lazy and not a good idea. They killed the Wii off in its last couple of years and this was what they came up with in that time. Who's surprised? Reggie needs to stop talking. Ubisoft did a better job at selling the Wii U's capabilities(ZombiU) than Nintendo and they had less time than Nintendo.

Why it "didn't do so well at first". Arguably it did better at the start than it is now, what with its third party support. :heh:

Why it "didn't do so well at first". Arguably it did better at the start than it is now, what with its third party support. :heh:

That's true. It sold 3.5 million until March when Nintendo's financial year ended, roughly four months. So in a time period since, that was 7 times longer they only managed to sell slightly less than 2 times that amount more.

In that image I see a lot of gorgeous looking games but just so many of them look way too similar. Its not hard to see where the variety complaints come from.

You're right, needs more of that PS4 variety...

ps4.jpg

ps4.jpg

Oh hang on, are we in the Wii U topic here?

ps4.jpg

Is this the only comeback you can ever have? Instead of just discussing something with the rest of us you have to try and deflect the comment off to another console.bwhat I said wasn't to try and cause conflict, it was replying to the image you posted. Once again you just look to make trouble.

I've said it before but you are just a troll on this forum and should have been banned a long time ago.

Is this the only comeback you can ever have? Instead of just discussing something with the rest of us you have to try and deflect the comment off to another console.bwhat I said wasn't to try and cause conflict, it was replying to the image you posted. Once again you just look to make trouble.

I've said it before but you are just a troll on this forum and should have been banned a long time ago.

So it's ok when people say the Wii U lacks variety and only has the same games but not when I say the same about the PS4. And this is on a (supposed) Nintendo message board. Gotcha.

I posted the first graphic to inject some much needed positivity in this thread, but as usual, no Wii U praise is allowed in here. Regardless, don't be so surprised when your ludicrous point about samey Nintendo games gets challenged. That PS4 line up of their most popular games destroys that argument.

So it's ok when people say the Wii U lacks variety and only has the same games but not when I say the same about the PS4. And this is on a (supposed) Nintendo message board. Gotcha.

I posted the first graphic to inject some much needed positivity in this thread, but as usual, no Wii U praise is allowed in here. Regardless, don't be so surprised when your ludicrous point about samey Nintendo games gets challenged. That PS4 line up of their most popular games destroys that argument.

You're the one who brings up the lack of variety thing more than everyone else combined when you constantly say the PS4 has nothing but shooters. You bring this up even when no one else has mentioned the PS4 before.

No one has said the Wii U doesn't have beautiful looking games.

How could it destroy the argument? A list of the top selling games was posted. Do you think because they are the top selling games that also means they are the only games???

I was reacting to the image you posted and I'm sorry but a lot of the images were very similar. If you bothered to notice I also said they looked gorgeous.

You're the one who brings up the lack of variety thing more than everyone else combined when you constantly say the PS4 has nothing but shooters. You bring this up even when no one else has mentioned the PS4 before.

No one has said the Wii U doesn't have beautiful looking games.

I bring up the lack of variety thing when someone mentions the lack of variety on the Wii U. Just as I did in this instance, and all others.