NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

*waves goodbye to Project Guard and Project Giant Robot*

Project Guard is still in development

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/16/miyamotos-project-guard-is-still-in-the-works/

One of Miyamoto’s E3 2014 experiments, Project Guard—a Wii U game about protecting a base from invaders using security cameras and turrets—is still in the works and still tied to the Star Fox universe. (The photo above is from last year.) Hayashi is overseeing it, also with the help of Platinum. Miyamoto said it is meant to be played online and that Nintendo is still figuring out if or how to release it in conjunction with Star Fox Zero. Development of Giant Robo, another, less impressive E3 2014 experimental game is on hold.

Yeah, complaining about colours is fucking idiotic. Who would do that?

World class intellect on show there :indeed:

World class intellect on show there :indeed:

You know it was good. You know!

Nintendo’s Stock Dropped Fairly Significantly After E3 2015 Digital Event

nintendo_stock_e3_2015.png

This year’s Nintendo E3 2015 Digital Event wasn’t quite the event that fans were hoping for. If you’ve visited various message boards and social networks you will have seen that Nintendo fans have been very vocal about the event, and rightly so. This event has also had a significant effect on Nintendo’s stock which has dropped fairly significantly since the event was broadcast on Tuesday, June 16th.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/18/nintendos-stock-dropped-fairly-significantly-after-e3-2015-digital-event/

Edited by Wii

Reggie ain't impressed with VR.

"We have knowledge of the technical space, and we've been experimenting with this for a long, long time," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. "What we believe is that, in order for this technology to move forward, you need to make it fun and you need to make it social.

"I haven't walked the floor, so I can't say in terms of what's on the floor today, but at least based on what I've seen to date, it's not fun, and it's not social. It's just tech."

His comments on VR not being social seems true, however, him saying that it's not fun goes against everything I've heard. I actually work with people who worked on Valkyrie who absolutely love VR and many podcast presenters have played on stuff like the Morpheus and found the experience to be amazing.

I have to laugh at his social comment. So if the key to moving forward is making things social, why can't we have voice chat, Reggie?

Yeah, more nonsense. From absolutely everything I've heard, VR is supposed to be extremely fun. He's said himself he doesn't know what's on the show floor today, so why not shut the fuck up?

He'll tell you that Splatoon itself is a social game, which it is.

I have an Oculus DK2, it's cool tech. Is it "fun"? Yeah I suppose, though that depends on a game that takes advantage of it like Elite: Dangerous. It's not how I want to play most of my games though. I don't think Sony fully believe in it either. I'd be amazed if Morpheus lasts as long as Move or Kinnect

Yeah, more nonsense. From absolutely everything I've heard, VR is supposed to be extremely fun. He's said himself he doesn't know what's on the show floor today, so why not shut the fuck up?

His PR speak this E3 has been a right mess.

He'll tell you that Splatoon itself is a social game, which it is.

When using Skype I would agree.

I just think he means social = multiplayer. As opposed to VR which can be very isolating. Though Sony agreed and Rigs seems to combat that, during their half arsed 2 min talk about VR.

I just think he means social = multiplayer. As opposed to VR which can be very isolating. Though Sony agreed and Rigs seems to combat that, during their half arsed 2 min talk about VR.

Pointless talking much about VR in a conference ( many of us stated this in the PS4 topic before E3 ) as it's something that needs to be experienced with a hands on demo.

Pointless talking much about VR in a conference ( many of us stated this in the PS4 topic before E3 ) as it's something that needs to be experienced with a hands on demo.

Rigs isn't exactly a triumphant example of them putting their faith in VR, regardless of where it's shown off. If they had any confidence in Morpheus they would have given it more than 2 minutes. Just like Xbox did with Oculus. I'd almost be surprised if Morpheus actually released. They even said when they first showed it off they weren't even sure themselves if it would ever come to market.

Rigs isn't exactly a triumphant example of them putting their faith in VR, regardless of where it's shown off. If they had any confidence in Morpheus they would have given it more than 2 minutes. Just like Xbox did with Oculus. I'd almost be surprised if Morpheus actually released. They even said when they first showed it off they weren't even sure themselves if it would ever come to market.

I disagree and I'll just leave it at that. Besides, I have no strong feelings towards VR, one way or the other.

My take on VR is that it's exciting but not worth it until there are agreed standards and cross-compatibility. You could buy Oculus, Morpheus and the HTC one - any could be a flop, and yet you'd still have to use them on different platforms. I look forward to it one day, but Nintendo using it would just add enormous cost to their next machine and we'd have the same situation over again.

Microsoft didn't dedicate time to Oculus in their conference did they? They demoed Hololens.

Nintendo VR

viewfinder.jpg

Someone with some editing skills could make that look real convincing with some logos and game screens on the wheel disc. They can call it the Wii View.

WSJ: Sony’s and Microsoft’s consoles have far outsold the Wii U. What’s your strategy to come out ahead?

Fils-Aime:The time frame that these systems are sold is quite long, and right now we’re still at the very early stages of the current generation. The other piece I would highlight is this is a global business. Don’t just look at what’s happening here in the U.S. Look at what’s happening globally.

From a Nintendo perspective, we clearly have strength here in the Americas, we have strength in Europe and we have strength in Japan. That isn’t necessarily true of some of our more direct competitors.

You serious, Reggie? Really?

This E3 has been an absolute wreck for the guy.

The fact that he clearly doesn't see it suggests that Nintendo will not change.

I can't believe he said that. It's a shame the interviewer couldn't then call him out on the Wii U sales in Europe and Japan.

For Reggie to somehow try and deflect the awful sales in the US to another region where the Wii U has also bombed is embarrassing.

The fact that he clearly doesn't see it suggests that Nintendo will not change.

Or, and here's something, they aren't allowed to give themselves bad PR...

Almost as if all companies restrict their employees like that.

Yeah I'm sure Reggie is fully aware of the real situation with the Wii U, he just can't stand there and say it. Just stating the obvious here, but he has to put a positive spin on it.

I really do hope that the message is sinking into Nintendo though. There are very solid reasons as to why the Wii U is in this situation and a lot of it was called out all the way back when they showed the console off in 2012.

Nintendo Is A Slave To Its Past Success, Says Gearbox President Randy Pitchford

During this year's E3, a whole bunch of industry veterans met at the Lunch with Luminaries event. In this yearly talk Gaikai and Shiny founder Dave Perry invites big names for a in-depth discussion about the games industry, and this time around we had Gearbox Software president Randy Pitchford, Boss Key Productions co-founder Cliff Bleszinski, ngmoco and N3twork founder Neil Young, Double Fine Productions founder Tim Schafer, Entertainment Software Association president Michael Gallagher, Amazon Games VP Mike Frazzini, and Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe.

While much of the chat was about big trends in the industry - such as mobile and VR - the group did touch upon Nintendo's current situation. The Japanese company's E3 presentation didn't go down as well as was hoped, and Randy Pitchford believes that the problem the firm has is that it is locked into serving its existing fans, when it should really be trying to reach new ones - as it arguably did with the Wii.

Pitchford explains that while Nintendo's games are highly rated and very playable, not enough people know they exist - and he likens the situation to visiting the movie site Rotten Tomatoes to find the best films currently available:

It tends to be that some of the highest rated things on Rotten Tomatoes are films I've never even heard of. They're indie things that are marketed not to me. Nintendo's gotten really good at talking to Nintendo customers. But I think that Nintendo could at least lead more if they figured out how to talk to new people that they're not already talking to. And that's a very difficult problem.

Amazon's Mike Frazzini backed this up with another example. He recently took his kids to Disneyland and asked them if they wanted to see Mickey Mouse, but found that they didn't even know who he was. However, they had heard of Anna and Elsa, the stars of Frozen - one of the biggest movies of all-time and Disney's most recent animated success.

Pitchford pointed out that Nintendo is in the position of being a "slave to its former success", and that it needs to try something new to gain more fans:

We're always trying to invent the new thing, and it's scary because no one knows what the new thing is, so you have to build the gravity up. Meanwhile, your existing customers are screaming, 'Give me more of the old thing!' But we know the biggest brands of the future don't even exist today. And the brands that are biggest today will fail, will go down. So from my point of view, the only option is to create new stuff. I'm making a new game and nobody knows what it is. A lot of people know and like the last big thing we did and ask why aren't you doing more of that? It's funny because I had the exact same thing happen the last time. When we were trying to figure out Borderlands and telling people why that was going to be cool, everyone was like, 'Why don't you make more Brothers in Arms?'

Should Nintendo be trying new things - like Metroid Prime: Federation Force, for example - or should it be focusing on pleasing its existing fanbase? When the existing fans have only managed to notch up 10 million Wii U hardware sales, then you could argue that Nintendo needs to heed Pitchford's advice and branch out a little.

---------------

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/nintendo_is_a_slave_to_its_past_success_saysngearbox_president_randy_pitchford

Hard to disagree with any of that. It's what made the Wii so successful, going after the casual market.

I'd have more respect if they were honest instead of all the lies. I'm sick of the BS. As a result over the years I've come to hate Reggie and I believe very little they say anymore. But yes I can understand it's part of his job.