NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I love how they play up to Nintendo fans love of those sort of moments by giving us more and more gif worthy gold-dust!

You know, I honestly don't think they can top the sheer absurdity of that Smash trailer.

reggie-catch_b.gif

Best moment of last year, hands down.

Wasn't it around that time or just shortly after that Iwata got ill? He hasn't been right since.

Best moment of last year, hands down.

For me, the best Nintendo E3 moment last year was the Zelda reveal. Link jumping off the horse, to then fire an arrow, was something special.

The best one in recent times was the Megaman reveal for Smash Bros. That still hyped me up to this day.

Worthy mention goes to last years Smash Tournament. A few of us on here were sitting in the chat room and watching it all happen. It was outstanding. Dat crowd reaction to MegaMan using the Smash Ball was amazing. :D

Rumour: ASDA Supermarket To Stop Selling Wii U/Nintendo 3DS Products?

The UK retailer, ASDA, is apparently going to stop selling Wii U, Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS products as part of a change of product range in 8 weeks time. This rumour crops up as a user on Hot UK Deals claims these deals will be going nationwide, and another user commented:

All asda stores will not be selling ds, 3ds, wii or wii u games in store as part of a range change in 8 weeks. Stores have been told to clear through at discretion with sale stickers. If your local store hasn’t done this yet, they may just be holding on a while, as they won’t get a credit for the markdown, and may be waiting on a central price change.

ASDA already stopped retailing the Wii U in stores in July 2013, and it looks like this may have spread to other Nintendo products as well. But perhaps this is just while the products are relatively unpopular, and once they pick up pace they will start selling them again. It would be bad news for Nintendo and its fans if this is true!

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/05/26/rumour-asda-supermarket-to-stop-selling-wii-unintendo-3ds-products/

Bad news though the lower prices could get some more owners and some of ye potential bargains.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/05/26/rumour-asda-supermarket-to-stop-selling-wii-unintendo-3ds-products/

Bad news though the lower prices could get some more owners and some of ye potential bargains.

Na, it's just them rolling back. A friend contacted a PR person. Bigger stores will still stock things. It's just a reduced amount of stores stocking them, as all games are going through the crunch. Supermarkets are cutting game space ridiculously.

I'd love to somehow snag a New 3DS at a bargain price in ASDA.. but I can't see it happening, unfortunately! The gaming sections in all of the supermarkets in my area are awful :hmm:

My local ASDA has only had two Nintendo products for the last year or so, Animal Crossing on 3DS and a 2DS handheld, both crammed in the corner of the 360 section.

Is there any way to get rid of the Miiverse stuff that shows up as people with similar interests? It's doing my head in. The PS4 does the same thing where it shows you people you may know. It annoys the hell out of me.

Is there any way to get rid of the Miiverse stuff that shows up as people with similar interests? It's doing my head in. The PS4 does the same thing where it shows you people you may know. It annoys the hell out of me.

Just don't turn your Wii U on, works for me. :heh:

BBC iPlayer Finally Arrives On The Wii U eShop

large.jpg

But only for UK users

UK Wii U owners have been waiting for the BBC iPlayer to come to their consoles for ages - the last we heard about it was back in January last year, when the esteemed broadcasting corporation insisted that it was still working hard on making an eShop release possible.

Seemingly without warning, that time has now come - the BBC iPlayer is at long last available to download in the UK. It's got a 94MB file size and grants access to a selection of on-demand programming from what is arguably one of the world's most famous broadcasters.

The download basically replicates the functionality of the standard iPlayer Smart TV app, and allows off-TV viewing on the GamePad - something which will come in useful at those times when you're fighting with family members over what to watch. Oh, and it supports HD playback, as well.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/bbc_iplayer_finally_arrives_on_the_wii_u_eshop

I don't know if anybody has mentioned before but PDP aren't the only ones making licensed GameCube style Classic Controllers. Hori are too. I had used a PDP one and was so unimpressed that I didn't buy one but I recently purchased a Hori one and I can say that it is much better. The plastic feels a lot closer to the original GameCube controller and the buttons/sticks are almost perfect. There's an extra z button (neither of which are purple), the L/R aren't analogue, the start button has been replaced with plus, minus and home, there's a turbo function (which I've never got the point of) and no rumble (which makes it a lot lighter than you'd expect). Apart from the turbo and the grey z buttons all of the changes are needed so that it actually functions as a Classic Controller.

As the GameCube is my favourite controller of all time being able to use a controller very similar on games which support the Classic Controller is a really nice bonus.

Just an update to this. I finally caved and bought a Samus themed PDP controller. While I still stand by my initial impressions that it doesn't feel as nice as the Hori one, I just couldn't resist a Metroid style controller.

I've taken some photos of the different controllers but I'll hide it in a spoiler tag so it doesn't get in the way.

Hori Mario - PDP Samus - Nintendo Smash Bros - Nintendo Original

IMG_20150528_1954412.jpg

IMG_20150528_1955312.jpg

IMG_20150528_1956512.jpg

IMG_20150528_2003552.jpg

Closer

IMG_20150528_1954592.jpg

IMG_20150528_1955042.jpg

IMG_20150528_1955102.jpg

IMG_20150528_1955452.jpg

IMG_20150528_1955512.jpg

IMG_20150528_1955582.jpg

It's cool that it's Samus themed but damn... That's one ugly controller :p

I was wondering regarding the BBC iPlayer and how it's only for UK residents only. :nono::mad::nono: Would it be possible to use it here in Ireland if I create a Mii and put my country of residence as the UK? Similar to how the loophole worked with creating a Russian Mii for the eShop and getting discounts. Or is there any other work around?

The BBC is a UK service. We pay a license fee to have it. The rest of the world doesn't therefore they don't get it.

I was wondering regarding the BBC iPlayer and how it's only for UK residents only. :nono::mad::nono: Would it be possible to use it here in Ireland if I create a Mii and put my country of residence as the UK? Similar to how the loophole worked with creating a Russian Mii for the eShop and getting discounts. Or is there any other work around?

They check through your ISP's address, decide if you are located in the UK or not and then lock you out if you're not. I would love to have access to this, more so my wife who would love to catch up on Eastenders, but tried last night and the Wii U said NO.

Edited by londragon
spelling

To be fair it's not like people are missing out on much. I can't remember the last show, bar Q.I. I've actually watched from the BBC.

I've finished RE:R about an hour ago. I did like it a lot and I like the raids (sadly no online game as I can't find someone), so it was worth the money.

I would not pay the full price only because they were lazy with some of the cinematics, but it was a steal for 14.99€.

It's cool that it's Samus themed but damn... That's one ugly controller :p

So is your face!!

(i kinda like it)

The BBC is a UK service. We pay a license fee to have it. The rest of the world doesn't therefore they don't get it.

And yet I can watch the BBC and its other channels perfectly fine on my Belgian television...

But I'm not allowed to watch BBC iPlayer when abroad (even though I do pay a UK license fee). :confused:

I think it has something to do with the licences as the cable companies pay to BBC to have it, so they don't want BBC to offer their shows on other "platforms"!

You can get all the UK terrestrial channels including all the various BBC's for free on satellite. Who makes money there? Nobody.

I now that with sports it's also possible, but it's either illegal, or cable companies try to fight it.

Plus some licences have to do with terrestial signal and don't apply for sattelite (I am not sure if I am using the right words).

They're free to air channels so there's nothing illegal about it.

free-to-air-channels-2.jpg