NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I'm guessing smaller hdd to keep the cost down?

The 8gb version is just lunacy.

It's not a HDD at all, and that's the problem. If the OS isn't stored on ROM somewhere, it's possible they chose a solid state solution to speed up the home menu loading. It's also possible they just wanted to keep size down or power consumption.

GI Show: The Nintendo 64 Spectacular Featuring Grant Kirkhope And Mega64

I didn't think I would bother listening to this considering the length of it but I had it on for 2 hours there while I was tidying and will probably listen to the rest at some point :smile:

It's so good hearing some N64 love :love:

It's not a HDD at all, and that's the problem. If the OS isn't stored on ROM somewhere, it's possible they chose a solid state solution to speed up the home menu loading. It's also possible they just wanted to keep size down or power consumption.

I'm gonna go with power consumption - they've generally aimed for low power machines(in more way that one, LOL) - but yeah, I think their downfall is that sort of limited thinking, restricts a lot of possibilities.

U.S. MUTUAL FUND BECOMES TOP NINTENDO SHAREHOLDER

An American mutual-fund company has become the largest shareholder in Nintendo Co., placing a growing bet on signs of a revival in the Japanese videogame company’s fortunes, a regulatory filing shows.

Capital Research & Management, the investment adviser to the American Funds family, owned a 16.4% stake in Nintendo as of this week, according to a filing with Japan’s Finance Ministry. That was up from 15.3% in early March.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/234040-u-s-mutual-fund-becomes-top-nintendo-shareholder

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-mutual-fund-becomes-top-nintendo-shareholder-1432277440

I don't know if I like them owning any of Nintendo's shares. I can guess what they want Nintendo to do and why they've upped their stake in the company. Smart phone games.

Yeah, they're using NAND Flash. Same as on Wii and on most mobiles.

It's relatively cheap, reliable (no moving parts), produces less heat, takes up much less physical space within the console and consumes less power. All typical Nintendo-like qualities.

They probably consider HDDs to be too flimsy for use within the machine (but assume that people who want to add storage know what they're doing, so they just let them connect whatever) :p

GI Show: The Nintendo 64 Spectacular Featuring Grant Kirkhope And Mega64

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this video. : peace:

Took three sessions to watch it all but well worth it, especially the 45 minute long Grant Kirkhope interview - 1hour 30 mins until 2hours 15 mins for anyone just wanting to check that part out - that man has long been an inspiration to me, it's funny though I never actually knew what he looked like, it was always the music that I'd recognise him for but it's good to see that he's a decent guy and it's always nice to put a face to a great, relatively unsung hero of videogames. :)

Right, back to reviewing N64 games :heh: the Wii U needs many more of these, I can't wait to see what titles we will get in the future. :D

Wii U now starting to receive Unity 5 support

unity-5-logo.jpg

Unity 5 was revealed back in March. When the announcement was made, we learned that it would run on a number of platforms, including Wii U. However, Unity followed up at the time by noting that it was unsure when Wii U would actually be receiving support for the new engine.

A development source speaking with Nintendo Everything has now confirmed that Unity 5 is starting to make its way to Wii U. A beta build based off of Unity 5.0.1 was just recently distributed, so teams can begin working with the upgraded technology.

Unfortunately, it’s sounding like it will be awhile before we actually begin seeing the first Unity 5 games released on the eShop. The information we received indicates that developers who intend on submitting titles before fall are being told to stick with Unity 4.3, as 5.0 is not currently master submittable.

http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-u-now-starting-to-receive-unity-5-support/

That Unity 5 support will be good news for games like Little Devil Inside.

Now, I think Nintendo's announcement a while back that this E3 will focus on games released in 2015 is a way of stealthily hiding the fact that the NX will come out after E3 2016 and in time for Christmas. Just my thoughts but I can see the next major Direct after this E3 will be in January 2016 where they'll say they're focusing on games releasing in the first half of 2016. Then when E3 comes around, they'll announce show the NX, there'll be a trickle of releases left for Wii U at that point but from their main focus even now is on getting the successor right and the games ready.

The way they're doing things now means that they don't have to announce games for 2017 on the Wii U. And they won't because there aren't any. Xenoblade Chronicles X was first shown in January of 2013, 2+ years on and it's only been released in Japan and promised for the end of 2015 for the rest of the world. The same with Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and that's not even close to being out yet. Similarly other games were announced 2 years before release like Smash Bros. and Maro Kart 8. Where's the next wave of games being promised 2 years down the road?

Anybody agree or care to share their thoughts?

I will chuckle if the NX turns out to be a new handheld to replace the 4-5 year old 3DS.

That Unity 5 support will be good news for games like Little Devil Inside.

Now, I think Nintendo's announcement a while back that this E3 will focus on games released in 2015 is a way of stealthily hiding the fact that the NX will come out after E3 2016 and in time for Christmas. Just my thoughts but I can see the next major Direct after this E3 will be in January 2016 where they'll say they're focusing on games releasing in the first half of 2016. Then when E3 comes around, they'll announce show the NX, there'll be a trickle of releases left for Wii U at that point but from their main focus even now is on getting the successor right and the games ready.

The way they're doing things now means that they don't have to announce games for 2017 on the Wii U. And they won't because there aren't any. Xenoblade Chronicles X was first shown in January of 2013, 2+ years on and it's only been released in Japan and promised for the end of 2015 for the rest of the world. The same with Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and that's not even close to being out yet. Similarly other games were announced 2 years before release like Smash Bros. and Maro Kart 8. Where's the next wave of games being promised 2 years down the road?

Pretty elaborate...

I think the Wii u will have titles all the way up to spring 2017 with a bridge title launched then for Wii u and nx.

I think the handheld bit of NX will be xmas 2016. I don't think Wii u will have a huge life, but probably similar to the releases now, mainly smaller ones, a few bigger ones thrown in. But I don't think previous announcements mean anytning, maybe now theyve tightened the schedules, maybe not, but doesn't say anything either way. Fact is Zelda is a while away, lets see what they announce at e3, but I think they'll support Wiiu right up to their next home console, I orocing their services along the way. They have to.

I reckon the Wii U will play host to a few more gems before it's eventual demise. Whether they're the sorts of games you will enjoy is obviously up for debate, but I'm hopeful of a couple of nice surprises at E3 :smile:

It may be strange given all the old franchises that haven't been accounted for in recent years but Mario Strikers is probably my biggest desire for E3 2015 as there is a massive football hole on the console and I'm craving some of that competitive action, like the glory days of Mario Strikers: Charged Football :grin:

Zelda is that one big game that I'm sure we're all waiting to get our teeth into but I'm more than happy to accept a few less ambitious games in the run up to it. By that, I mean something like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. For the record, I think it's an awesome game that I have had the pleasure to complete but you wouldn't really classify it as one of the big guns, in the same way something like Metroid would be :heh:

Pilotwings would be a perfect candidate, for me, and it would be fun to have things like the first person perspective on the Wii U Gamepad to help with taking good pictures of landmarks, and whatever else. I'd also be more than happy to see it on Wu-Hu Island, again, if they add more sights and a variety of seasons and weather conditions to let us see it in a way that we haven't done so in the past :smile:

Forget personal tastes, Wiis has weird views on what classes as a worthy game.

I think we'll see animal crossing, Metroid, obviously starfox and Zelda on the Wii u. A few smaller games, including one of - strikers, wave race, f zero, excite bike, pilotwings, Luigis mansion...

Then quite a lot of smaller games and spin off games. And a few quirky new IPs . I'll be delighted with all this!

One game we keep forgetting to mention for this year is Fatal Frame, I'm actually really looking forward to that. Xenoblade, star fox, fatal Frame, Devils third, mario maker... Not terrible. But not mega exciting either, I'll be more excited by splatoon/smash/kar dlc. Unless star fox turns out to be a true successor to 64, which I'm not expecting at all.

One other game for my tastes would just be great. And not animal crossing please!

@dazzybee I have great taste in games.

How many big budget, large scale games have there been on Wii U? Zelda and Xenoblade Chronicles X? Neither of which are out. Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 as well. Excuse me if I left out any. You could argue MH3U but that's a port and Pikmin 3, that's been in some form since the Wii. What started out on the Wii U where Nintendo said let's go big on this? Just those 4 and unless some other projects that we've yet to find out about and were started long ago, there won't be any more. They won't start anything big now for Wii U that's for sure. Look at all the cookie-cutter, smaller scale, short and platform games there's been. I'm not saying they're bad but there's very little that's ambitious. Splatoon? That's TBD.

Ready.Set. Attack!!!

How many big budget, large scale games have there been on Wii U? Zelda and Xenoblade Chronicles X? Neither of which are out. Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 as well. Excuse me if I left out any. You could argue MH3U but that's a port and Pikmin 3, that's been in some form since the Wii. What started out on the Wii U where Nintendo said let's go big on this? Just those 4 and unless some other projects that we've yet to find out about and were started long ago, there won't be any more. They won't start anything big now for Wii U that's for sure. Look at all the cookie-cutter, smaller scale, short and platform games there's been. I'm not saying they're bad but there's very little that's ambitious. Splatoon? That's TBD.

It's just a weird mind-set I think, large scale games... Why soul that be what is desired? Shouldn't we just want greta games? I'd prefer a Toad or Yoshi over most "large-scale" games!

What's Donkey Kong come under? Nintendoland? Super Mario 3D?!

I don't understand how something fits into your criteria, and not sure how important it is? Personally, in the way you chat about games, I wouldn't put Mario Kart 8 under large-scale!

Splatoon is definitely ambitious and a big release... I guess I just don't think of games in this way, and can't wait 'til games get like films and BIG BLOCKBUSTERS is almost a derogatory term :D

And attack? I didn't know I had a reputation for "attacking"...

It's just a weird mind-set I think, large scale games... Why soul that be what is desired? Shouldn't we just want greta games? I'd prefer a Toad or Yoshi over most "large-scale" games!

I don't understand how something fits into your criteria, and not sure how important it is? Personally, in the way you chat about games, I wouldn't put Mario Kart 8 under large-scale!

Splatoon is definitely ambitious and a big release... I guess I just don't think of games in this way, and can't wait 'til games get like films and BIG BLOCKBUSTERS is almost a derogatory term :D

The attack remark wasn't aimed at you. : peace:

Everyone has their opinion. I don't regard Mario 3D World as large scale. DKC: TF? I don't know. It's not small but it's not massive either. It's a sequel to what Retro Studios last worked on.

MK8 is surely large scale especially when you factor the DLC.

NintendoLand? Definitely not.

Yoshi's Woolly World I wouldn't call massive but I'm still very much looking forward to it.

Ready.Set. Attack!!!

You're extremely close minded about games. That doesn't equate to "great taste", and it's up to others to judge your taste, not yourself.

What does it matter about big budgets and large scale games? Captain Toad was some of the most fun I've had this generation and it was a smaller scale release. You have to get over this immature obsession with filesize and how many hours are packed into a game. It's about quality not quantity.

I don't regard Mario 3D World as large scale. DKC: TF? I don't know. It's not small but it's not massive either.

Listen to yourself man. What does it matter if they're large scale? They're great games, that's the only point that matters. I honestly think your gaming tastes are more suited to PS4/Xbox where it's all about big budget, cinematic experience games.

Edited by Ronnie

The attack remark wasn't aimed at you. : peace:

Everyone has their opinion. I don't regard Mario 3D World as large scale. DKC: TF? I don't know. It's not small but it's not massive either. It's a sequel to what Retro Studios last worked on.

MK8 is surely large scale especially when you factor the DLC.

NintendoLand? Definitely not.

Yoshi's Woolly World I wouldn't call massive but I'm still very much looking forward to it.

Thought so, just wanted to make sure.

I think mario and Nintendo,and is a big game, but it's all silly names really. Like I say, I'd prefer SNES remix over grand theft auto so what does it mean? I

Do you want to play the game, is it good value? What more matters?

To me this seems like a really childish argument. There are a lack of 'big' games on the Wii U. The statement is made in a foolish and almost childlike way, then justified after being made! And what does 'big' even mean, length? Challenge? Number of collectibles? Franchise worth?

Well what about Wind Waker? That doesn't count as it's a remake!

What about Pikmin 3? Well of course that doesn't count as it started development on the Wii! (What the fuck does that matter for???)

What about 3D World? Obviously doesn't count as too similar to 3D Land!

What about Hyrule Warriors (a game with more content than almost any game I've ever played)? Spinoff, doesn't count!

What about Donkey Kong? Defo not, it's a sequel!

And I could go on all night. It's almost ludicrous. If you attack a discussion like this, you can literally write off every game ever made.

There's no 'big' games on the PS4. What about COD, Battlefield and FIFA? Nope, they're sequels and yearly updates! See what I did there?

I must be lucky for getting the console late, so there are more than enough games for me :D.

Also most of the games are sequels or spinoffs so....

I will chuckle if the NX turns out to be a new handheld to replace the 4-5 year old 3DS.

That's what I hope. I don't want to see a Nintendo console before the new handheld.

As far as I'm concerned, there's very little groundbreaking content on the Wii U; most of the big games are just newer versions of what we've seen before. There's nothing with more ambition than say Wii/Gamecube titles apart from Zelda and Xenoblade which aren't out yet. Of course, a Nintendo fan would argue the same about the PS4 but this isn't about Sony.

I've said this before, but there was a big jump from NES to SNES, then the N64 and then the Gamecube..The jumps we saw gave us bigger and better worlds and not just better graphics, but Nintendo's philosophy with the Wii U has just been to impress people with HD. Don't get me wrong, it's great to see NSMB or Donkey Kong in HD, but where's the groundbreaking, generation defining content that they used to produce? Where's the equivalent of a Super Mario 64, a Wind Waker or a Metroid Prime? Most of Nintendo's first party offerings could have been made on the Wii in SD (or in most cases they had similar prequels that were).

Anyway, Xenoblade and Zelda will be out within the next 12 months and I'm sure that those two games will show everyone that Nintendo can push boundaries again, but given that the console was announced at E3 2011 (yup FOUR years ago) and those games are still not out, it's understandable that people have given up on them a bit. I have full faith in Nintendo and I adore their software (my kids will grow up on their games, 100%) but I want them to wow me again.

Anyway, I've just preordered Wooly World. That and Batman will make my Summer!

I have great taste in games.

Given the fact that you once said that you refused to consider buying indie games, you're not allowed to say you have great taste in games.

(and yes I'm aware you've now seen the error of that original judgment)

Zelda will be out within the next 12 months

I certainly wouldn't bet any money on that, but a release by May 2016 would be excellent, especially if it's likely we'll be introduced to some new form of hardware the following month.

From the games recently released or coming out in the near future, there's Kirby & the Rainbow Paintbrush, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, Starfox and Project Zero that I'm looking to play throughout the next 12 months, as well as finally getting back to Pikmin 3 :smile:

To be honest, that's plenty to keep me going so I think I only really need one small little surprise at E3 for it to be a good show :heh:

Strap yourselves in and enjoy the ride :grin:

Nintendo Land can absolutely be filed under tech demo sold to you as a fully fledged game. Madness to compare it to DKC and Mario 3D.