NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

That killed off-tv play for me straight away. The one thing I thought it would be good for would be for gaming in the bedroom

Honestly thought you were going to say bathroom.

Honestly thought you were going to say bathroom.

If the range were that good, I might have considered it! :heh:

I can use it in the kitchen, but who the fuck wants to play in the kitchen.

I was going to suggest Cooking Mama but of course there isn't one for the Wii U.

And I'm the same as others, can't leave the room without the gamepad having a heart attack.

I can in any room of my house. Only time it has issues is while walking down stairs

Im the same as everyone else, move the pad one room away and it stops working. After the initial novelty of playing a game on the pad I never used it again.

Edited by Happenstance

Im the same as everyone else, move the pad one room away and it stops working. After the intial novelty of playing a game on the pad I never used it again.

Same for me. However I found out if I go to the room directly under the room my Wii U is in, the signal has no problem traveling through the floor and works fine.

Y'all have some crazy thick walls, man - mine works fine in almost every single room in my huge house.

Y'all have some crazy thick walls, man - mine works fine in almost every single room in my huge house.

Is your house made out of paper?

Brb, moving to a mud hut.

I can in any room of my house. Only time it has issues is while walking down stairs

What the...You must have some super Wii U. Could you record footage of this?

I can use mine up to 3-4 meters away from my Wii U console but then it d/c :( Same room and all.

Mine is actually not too bad. Mine will extend from my room where the Wii U is to the living room downstairs.

Which works for me, but the signal sometimes cuts out when moving down stairs and also when I go too far into the living room.

But mostly it's fine. Though I don't use off TV play much. Will now the DS and N64 games are available though!

@Dcubed's game pad works fine in almost every room in his house. Same for mine.

Perhaps it's interference from a wireless signal or something?

DCubed knows more about that then I do though.

I literally stand in the doorway to my living room, just out of sight from the Wii U, and it complains. Might have thick walls? I live in a fairly old building, and they built them thick back then...

Mine works pretty much right through the house too, just a few down spots on the stairs and right at the back of the house. Having said that, the console's portable enough that I tend to just move it around the house to wherever's convenient rather than risk being disconnected in the middle of a game.

I know it's not a popular view, but I love having the screen in the gamepad. In fact, I increasingly use the gamepad for solo gaming even when I could use the TV. I guess I've just got used to handheld gaming, but I find it more comfortable to play that way and I've never been that bothered about graphics anyway. I use it a lot for browsing the internet too; it's more convenient than my laptop and as good if not better than any other device I could use.

I tried mine probably about 3 meters(maybe even less) aboveish the WiiU and it panics, going through maybe a floor and a bit of wall. The walls and floors in my house are pretty basic and definitely thin(can hear next door all the time and they're not even that noisy!) so I'm surprised at how much trouble I have with it. I did consider moving it sort of as VsPhoenix does, but for me it's a bit of an arseache with the sensor bar, then the gamepad and maybe what, a wiimote, pro pad and now even possibly GC pads/adapter? I'm really planning to get onto more WiiU gaming though so considering I might take the plunge and stick it in my room, just rather wouldn't as I make casual use of it in the living room(either in company or whilst watching TV there).

Do you actually need to have the console plugged in to a TV?

nope, you can leave it unplugged

No, I often don't bother to connect up the cables if I'm going to just be using the pad. As long as the game has off TV play all you need is the console, power supply and game pad.

If you have a router that uses a 5ghz WiFi signal (Wireless N or AC), try turning it off and that should help a fair bit. That can sometimes affect it pretty badly (even in the same room as the console) since the Gamepad also uses a 5ghz signal.

Otherwise, it's just gonna depend on your environment. If you have thick walls, or if they're made with certain materials, that'll reduce the range of your Gamepad.

Otherwise, it's just gonna depend on your environment. If you have thick walls, or if they're made with certain materials, that'll reduce the range of your Gamepad.

It's especially bad I find if they're made of lead or kryptonite.

It may get the new COD this year (other than last year it got them and they were pretty impressive, 2 player online one on the gamepad and one on the TV is great.

As for Horror, I would really recommend Zombi U, some people don't like it but I loved it and thought it was one of the most inventive horror games in a long long time. Also this year Fatal Frame 5 is getting released.

I know, but I meant something new to bring new people in, something with "wow effect".

I think Nintendo really thought there was more value to Off-TV than there was in reality. These days people tend to have a number of screens around the home, kids have TVs/computers/monitors in their bedrooms, or there's at least more than one in the house somewhere. Even the cost of them second hand/new isn't that high of a barrier these days either.

I'd be interested to see how you feel once you have it also - one other big problem I had was the range of the off-TV, the Gamepad can quite quickly start dropping out - almost making it redundant unless you essentially actually wanted to use it in, or rather close to, the room where the console is. Of course, experiences may(and do) vary but I've found it less than what I'd like personally.

When I was a kid, off-TV play would have been close to a godsend, but right now for my own situation(non-family, own place) it isn't really worth too much in general, except maybe functioning as a handheld when I wanna slob out and play a game AND watch TV at the same time - but I actually have another TV for that if I really felt the need.

I agree that it is probably different with me, but still the pad should be a plus, even if you don't use it to much.... I will use it more than most people probably, so maybe I am not the best to judge this.

Also, I thought that the Pad works up to 10m away from the console. If there are some problems with that, obviously it's a problem (in my case not a big one as I can move the console to the bedroom, but we are talking about new buyers). I will have to wait to see how it works.

The gamepad is the best thing about the Wii U and yet gets the most stick. It's worth it just for off screen play and as @dazzybee pointed out 2 player multiplayer. Since I've had my PS4 I've realised just how great the gamepad is as there is only a small window every day where I can get the tv to myself. People moan that it's made the console too expensive but it's still the cheapest console you can buy even with an extra pro controller so I really don't get the negativity.

I hope that I will like it as much as you do :D.

As much as I love the gamepad the range is a major oversight. Mine only works in the next room above or behind and it really should work anywhere in an average sized house.

Interesting.

How would a name change or banner effect your banter on the forums? Surely it would just be the same as it is now?

Better late than never?! :D

Just to touch on this, I guess the main reason I come here is for Nintendo news, views and banter. If it suddenly became another console specific or even multiplatform, it wouldn't cater to what I'm after! :)

Anyway, as you were...