NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Nintendo going 3rd party would be every kind of wrong possible. It would end badly. For all their faults they are still the king of innovation in the industry. It's too long to get into but I think IGN discussed it recently and I agreed with a lot of it.

Are you surprised? His obsession with voice chat made him want to return MK8 and Smash. It's a little odd, to say the least. Now the Wii U "isn't a good enough to console to deserve to sell well" so he's over the moon it's flopping. All because of Nintendo's lack of voice chat. Cringe.

It's not just voice-chat. It's their whole mentality towards multiplayer and online gaming and the poor functions of which they have. I don't enjoy their multiplayer games anymore.

It's not just because of voice chat.

You should probably stop obsessing over other's opinions, that's the real cringeworthy thing!

Edited by Kav

Nintendo going 3rd party would be every kind of wrong possible. It would end badly. For all their faults they are still the king of innovation in the industry. It's too long to get into but I think IGN discussed it recently and I agreed with a lot of it.

Dear god, we agree on something.

The world is doomed :p

And no, name me a big third party developer other than Rockstar who only make big game every 3 to 4 years.

Well I don't really need to do I? If Rockstar can do it there's no reason why Nintendo couldn't. And with the bigger audience they'd reach by going multi-platform there'd be no need to rush out a Zelda every year?

Well regardless I'm not getting drawn into an argument but suffice to say I'm disenchanted enough with Nintendo's current output that I won't be buying their next console, especially if they haven't made significant changes.

y u always so negativ??

I'm so glad the WiiU is flopping. It's not a good enough console for it to deserve to sell well.

Whilst at first I was actually glad, I did hope that things would pick up for it and it'd lead to me getting what I wanted, hoped for, and had in part been promised for the console. Sadly that didn't occur - but its poor performance definitely worked in my favour early on(and may continue to) as I managed to pick up a number of games for quite decent prices.

Well regardless I'm not getting drawn into an argument but suffice to say I'm disenchanted enough with Nintendo's current output that I won't be buying their next console, especially if they haven't made significant changes.

Sadly I think I'm now in the same camp, as I reckon a few others here have become too. I definitely noticed a notable dropoff in adoption of WiiU amongst my friends where I'd have expected it this generation, and I can only see that continuing on without drastic change. I don't particularly wish console 3rd party only onto Nintendo - but I'm sorry to say that it'd probably actually work quite well for me if they did.

And no, name me a big third party developer other than Rockstar who only make big game every 3 to 4 years.

Rocksteady, Blizzard, FromSoft, CD Project Red, Bungie, Insomniac, Bethesda, Level 5 to name but a few. There are loads.

Rocksteady, Blizzard, FromSoft, CD Project Red, Bungie, Insomniac, Bethesda, Level 5 to name but a few. There are loads.

Bahahahahaha, you said Level 5.

Good god...they only announced 5 Yokai Watch games for this year yesterday. Yeah, clearly.

I concede on a couple of others, but they aren't as large as Nintendo. Nintendo would have to downsize ridiculous amounts to be able to do that, and then, as I said, we wouldn't be seeing the smaller titles from them.

Is there a console with a higher quality to quantity ratio than the Wii U? In spite of all the negativity, it has seen some brilliant games.. and I'm loving it :love:

Is there a console with a higher quality to quantity ratio than the Wii U?

Oh god...this won't end well :p

Is there a console with a higher quality to quantity ratio than the Wii U? In spite of all the negativity, it has seen some brilliant games.. and I'm loving it :love:

Abandon thread!

tumblr_inline_ms5pz8Wn481qz4rgp.gif

Even I wouldn't provoke the PS4 cheerleaders THAT much!!

Might be worth skipping the next ten pages ;)

Does it ever..? :heh:

Of course not :D

Anyway, to answer your question: To me, there is a console with a great quality to quantity ratio and it's not the Wii U.

However, I can see where you're coming from. You like the games Nintendo's console has to offer and as a result enjoy it. : peace:

Nintendo can't go 3rd party. They are a hardware manufacturer and are set up to do so. They can't just make half their staff redundant and close all their factories and more to the point why would they? They still sell more hardware than Sony of Microsoft and their in-house titles sell millions at very high profit margins.

I don't think the Wii U is a bad console, in fact it's one of my favourites, the problem is with the lack of games and outdated online infrastructure. I bought in the region of 20 Wii U games in it's first year and since then I've bought MK and Smash. Unless you're a massive platformer fan, there is very little output.

Yeah, it's a slightly different situation. Nintendo is a publisher, with lots of development companies under its wings. Most of those are singular developers. A fairer comparison would be against one dev team eg. Rocksteady VS. the Zelda team. There's no way than Nintendo as a whole would end up just making one game every few years.

I think the point was more that if Nintendo were third party, they would end up downsizing and have fewer development teams due to the lack of hardware income/licensing fees, with fewer resources for the more niche games they create. Nintendo probably make more games than any other developer/publisher and have a large fan base, so a lot of people would be very disappointed if their output decreased.

I can't see it happening, personally, but you never know what the future holds. I do think it would be a massive shame, though.

3692228-5511670619-35771.jpg

Nando, I'll actually answer your question :) With so few titles it's hard for it not to have a higher percentage of great games, and actually, yeah I'd probably agree with that. Not looking at what it doesn't have, but purely on what it does, I'm confident by the next generation people will look back on the wii u incredibly positively, when we get past all the fanboy bullshit, the delays, the lack of support etc and just look at the games - it'll have the best mario kart, best smash, best pikmin, a great mario, a mario level editor, who knows what zelda, xenoblade, strafed etc are going to be like. New stuff like toad, NES Remix, Splatoon. Even stuff like Nintendoland I'm pretty certain will be looked back on in a great light.

We'll be jazzing all over the place when Wii U virtual console comes over the N10!

The PS4 came out a year later, and already has a library on par with the Wii U in my opinion.

It's definitely got the best Mario Kart I'll give it that. But other than that the game I sunk the most hours into was ZombiU. It felt like I'd played the platformers before, it felt like I'd played 3DWorld before.

No, at least not in the current gen.

Wii U might not have a huge library of games but the games that are out are excellent. Mario U, Luigi U, Pikmin, Lego City, ZombiU, Wonderful 101, Rayman, Wind Waker, 3D World, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Smash Bros.... all brilliant games, with Splatoon, Yoshi, Kirby, Zelda, Xenoblade, Mario Maker and Star Fox on the way.

Not just quality over quantity but diversity as well: from the above there's: 2D platformer, strategy adventure, openworld adventure, survival horror, action strategy, action adventure, 3D platformer, kart racer, hack and slash, 3D puzzler, brawler, third person shooter, RPG, level creator and space shooter. A decent mix I'd say.

Edited by Ronnie

The PS4 came out a year later, and already has a library on par with the Wii U in my opinion.

Really? Ports of PS3 games...? The Xbox one has a far better library than the PS4 I think, mainly because they have exactly the same games, yet xbox 1 has a few better exclusives (Sunset overdrive, killer instinct, titan fall etc).

At this moment in time, I genuinely believe the ps4 is one of the worst consoles I've ever owned.

Really? Ports of PS3 games...? The Xbox one has a far better library than the PS4 I think, mainly because they have exactly the same games, yet xbox 1 has a few better exclusives (Sunset overdrive, killer instinct, titan fall etc).

At this moment in time, I genuinely believe the ps4 is one of the worst consoles I've ever owned.

But there's more than just remasters. They're great for people who didn't have a PS3.

Drive club, Bloodborne, infamous, the order, killzone is a decent list, and there's loads I've missed. Not to mention that the PS4 versions of multiplat games are always the best to buy.

These signs say Nintendo is giving up on the Wii U

wiiu-flatline.jpg?zoom=2&fit=780%2C9999

A lot of people are excited about Nintendo’s future. The immediate future, however, looks a bit rough.

The Japanese gaming giant made waves last month with some exciting announcements, but it’s clear its current console, the Wii U, is becoming an afterthought for the company. Despite only being a couple of years old (it came out Nov. 18, 2012), Nintendo seems eager to move on from the struggling system, which has only sold 9.2 million as of January. That’s far below the 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles that Sony has sold — especially since that system came out a whole year after the Wii U.

But it’s not just the numbers that make us think the Wii U is on its deathbed. Nintendo’s recent actions, including announcing the NX (a new console), give more evidence that it can’t wait to put the system behind it. 2015 could be the last year that the publisher actively supports the console.

Announcing the future to distract us from the present

Last month, Nintendo revealed that it was partnering with mobile developer DeNA to create tablet and smartphone games. In the past, it resisted entering that sector. The Wii U’s struggles gave it the motivation it needed.

At the same time, Nintendo also announced that it was working on a new hardware platform, codenamed the NX. We don’t know anything about the console, but that Nintendo would already reveal it is telling. It’s common for a company to announce a console a year or two before it comes out, but it is strange to see one unveiled when its predecessor is still relatively young.

Don’t forget, the Wii U came out November 2012. It’s not even three years old yet, and Nintendo is already talking about the next system. Still, that doesn’t mean that Nintendo will stop supporting the Wii U before the NX comes out. Other recent events point to that eventuality.

The strategic delay of Zelda

Nintendo has already played almost all of its biggest software cards for the Wii U. Typically, its best-selling franchises are Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros. All of those have had releases on the Wii U, and while they’ve sold well, they couldn’t help the system come close to competing with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

That really leaves the Wii U with only one big card left to play: Zelda. And while Nintendo had shown the Wii U version of The Legend of Zelda before, it recently pushed back the game’s original holiday release date.

Now, Nintendo says that this is to add new features and improve the game, and I’m sure that’s part of the truth. However, history tells us that Nintendo could have more elaborate plans.

Another Zelda title, Twilight Princess, was originally going to come out exclusively for the company’s then-aging GameCube system. However, Nintendo delayed the game a whole year, eventually revealing it would also be a launch title for the Wii. It was a move Nintendo had to make; the company wouldn’t have a Mario game ready to launch with the system, so it had to look to its other big franchise.

The same exact thing could be happening here. Nintendo is rushing to make a new system, and it knows it needs a big game to launch with it. It might not have enough time to create something from scratch, but the Wii U Zelda already has a lot of work done. Why not give it some extra polish, some new features, and make it a must-own NX launch title?

The lack of announcements during the latest Nintendo Direct

Nintendo does a series of streams where it shows off upcoming games and often announces new ones. The latest one, and the first to happen since announcing the DeNA deal and the NX, was April 1. It largely focused on downloadable content for previously released Wii U games Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8.

Nintendo didn’t announce a single new Wii U game.

In fact, it barely showed previously announced Wii U games. Shin Megami Tensei & Fire Emblem crossover project got a new trailer, and it announced that Nintendo 64 and DS games are coming to the Virtual Console online store. In short, nothing came along to fill in Zelda’s holiday shoes.

And if ever there was a time to announce some new Wii U games, that was it. The system simply doesn’t have a lot of future releases, and certainly none with broad appeal. Splatoon, a colorful take on the competitive shooter, comes out in May. That’s an untested, new franchise. Besides that, notable Wii U releases include Yoshi’s Woolly World (a 2D platformer with a unique art-style) and Xenoblade Chronicles X (a Japanese role-playing game). Both could be great games, but it’s doubtful they’ll be huge sales hits on the level of a Zelda or Mario.

More important, those were all game announced a long time. Does Nintendo really have anything new in the works for the Wii U? Or is it diverting all of its attention to mobile and NX development?

“While the Wii U has around 380 console exclusive titles, the majority were launched 2013,” said Stewart Rogers of VentureBeat Insight. “Fewer exclusives were made available in 2014. In this respect, the Wii U is on the wrong side of the bell curve and Nintendo appear to have been winding it down already.”

Nintendo is a big company, but it only has so many resources. It might not see the point in investing in a system that’s still struggling to find an audience, especially when it has to worry about supporting the still popular 3DS portable, mobile development, and a new system.

I’m not saying that people with a Wii U should be miserable. Games like Splatoon and Yoshi’s Woolly World could still give you reasons to keep your system plugged in. However, 2016 could be a very slow, and ultimately fatal year for the Wii U.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/09/these-signs-say-nintendo-is-giving-up-on-the-wii-u/