NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

You Gotta Believe - Nintendo Voice Chat

I'm disappointed by how short this weeks episode was, especially when you consider the news that came out of the Direct. This is the second time they've done this and I fail to see how they don't have time when its essentially their job to do such shows and features. Luckily the RFN guys had a meaty 2+ hour podcast to keep me going.

They said they'll cover more in this weeks episode and I think they're doing it in part, besides blaming the long weekend for the shortage of time but because there'll be very little else to talk about other than the Xenoblade Chronicles X Direct this Friday.

Some little git has blocked and censored me on Miiverse! I was under the assumption that Nintendo's mods were in charge of the posts, but you actually have authority over your own "threads" - you can censor someone else for any reason whatsoever. Now he can say stuff about me in his thread and I don't have a right to reply (I can't even see it now) - doesn't seem like a fair system.

Imagine it being like your Facebook feed or Twitter feed - you are in control of the posts and who can see them.

For example you can choose who can see what you post on your Facebook wall, you can also moderate who can comment - as well as deleting comments by others if you don't like them. The same is true on Twitter, you can delete followers, block them from posting and even make your Tweets private so only your followers can see them.

It's basically a fail safe to prevent people from abusing others. You can shape who is in your circle of friends and can see posts and who can reply to them.

Often this comes up on social networks when one person argues with another only to end up being blocked or removed, often then the person who can still post will continue to carry on the argument without opposition.

It's not a perfect system, but it's there to prevent people from just spamming others and abusing them.

And that makes it ok?

Well, it is the standard for all social networks - as adopted by Facebook, Twitter and Instagram - so @Serebii was simply stating that Nintendo are just following the industry standard.

Well, it is the standard for all social networks - as adopted by Facebook, Twitter and Instagram - so @Serebii was simply stating that Nintendo are just following the industry standard.

So what? If the standard is shit, Nintendo following it is shit, too.

Nintendo are just following the industry standard.

There's a first. :heh:

So what? If the standard is shit, Nintendo following it is shit, too.

Why's it shit? Unless I'm missing something. Why shouldn't people be able to people be able to block people?

Why's it shit? Unless I'm missing something. Why shouldn't people be able to people be able to block people?

That was just a hyperbole to emphasize my point.

I was pointing out that saying "Twitter and Facebook do it" doesn't make it right. :indeed:

Some little git has blocked and censored me on Miiverse! I was under the assumption that Nintendo's mods were in charge of the posts, but you actually have authority over your own "threads" - you can censor someone else for any reason whatsoever. Now he can say stuff about me in his thread and I don't have a right to reply (I can't even see it now) - doesn't seem like a fair system.

Can I just ask... who cares? So some immature 9 year old kid blocked you on Miiverse, what does it matter? I think users should be able to block whoever they want anyway.

I'm disappointed by how short this weeks episode was, especially when you consider the news that came out of the Direct. This is the second time they've done this and I fail to see how they don't have time when its essentially their job to do such shows and features. Luckily the RFN guys had a meaty 2+ hour podcast to keep me going.

Part 2 of their Direct discussion is coming this week. I think the Easter weekend meant they were pressed for time.

The same reason message boards have an "Ignore" feature, because it makes perfect sense.

Can I just ask... who cares? So some immature 9 year old kid blocked you on Miiverse, what does it matter? I think users should be able to block whoever they want anyway.

It doesn't matter how old the kid is, that isn't an issue here. It's to do with censorship. If Grazza is making valid points, then he should be allowed to have his say. It's not fair to lock him out just because the author doesn't agree with his points, as long as he is conducting himself in the right way.

The same reason message boards have an "Ignore" feature, because it makes perfect sense.

Well, for one thing, it is there to prevent harassment, as you know already. :)

It doesn't matter how old the kid is, that isn't an issue here. It's to do with censorship. If Grazza is making valid points, then he should be allowed to have his say. It's not fair to lock him out just because the author doesn't agree with his points, as long as he is conducting himself in the right way.

Well, for one thing, it is there to prevent harassment, as you know already. :)

You've just contradicted yourself.

This has nothing to do with censorship. If you have an issue with users being able to block other users then take it up with every single message board or social networking platform out there. It's standard practise and is completely understandable.

You've just contradicted yourself.

This has nothing to do with censorship. If you have an issue with users being able to block other users then take it up with every single message board or social networking platform out there. It's standard practise and is completely understandable.

I think you'll find that I haven't. ;)

Provided that Grazza isn't purposefully posting to just wind that guy up or harass him, providing that he's posting actual meaningful contributions, he can feel aggrieved to be locked out.

There is a clear difference to what has happened to him and what has happened to you and Wii. Of course, you won't see that.

Just about every forum I can think of, the original poster doesn't have the ability to silence people in his topic, just make it so he/she personally can't view that person's posts.

I think you'll find that I haven't. ;)

Provided that Grazza isn't purposefully posting to just wind that guy up or harass him, providing that he's posting actual meaningful contributions, he can feel aggrieved to be locked out.

There is a clear difference to what has happened to him and what has happened to you and Wii. Of course, you won't see that.

Ask the person who blocked Grazza and he'll probably tell you he was being harassed.

Now we're moaning about Miiverse's ability to block people. This Nintendo forum is a joke at times.

This Nintendo forum is a joke at times.

Why?

If this were a Twitter forum and let's say Grazza used Twitter the same way he uses Miiverse he'd probably moan about this issue, too.

Discussions about Nintendo shouldn't surprise you on a Nintendo forum.

Ask the person who blocked Grazza and he'll probably tell you he was being harassed.

Now we're moaning about Miiverse's ability to block people. This Nintendo forum is a joke at times.

Why? Just because we are on a Nintendo forum doesn't mean that they are immune to criticism. They are doing things that are annoying people then they will be called out on it.

Why? Just because we are on a Nintendo forum doesn't mean that they are immune to criticism. They are doing things that are annoying people then they will be called out on it.

They seem to be immune to praise on this message board.

Every single post is criticising something. This thread is just whinge after whinge after whinge. Now we're just scrapping the bottom of the barrel, complaining that you can block users on Miiverse really isn't such a big deal.

Every single post is criticising something. This thread is just whinge after whinge after whinge. Now we're just scrapping the bottom of the barrel, complaining that you can block users on Miiverse really isn't such a big deal.

Yeah, and it hasn't been made a big deal :indeed:

Also...there has been LOTS of positivity after the direct. Of course, the direct didn't do much for some, but most of what I've read was on the line of "good direct".

They seem to be immune to praise on this message board.

To you maybe, but it obviously upset Grazza.

This place can be positive and things can be discussed in a good light. I've found it's when people get all defensive that discussions all go to hell. When seeing things from other peoples perspectives conversations tend to go smoothly.

Yeah, and it hasn't been made a big deal :indeed:

Also...there has been LOTS of positivity after the direct. Of course, the direct didn't do much for some, but most of what I've read was on the line of "good direct".

The positivity lasted about two days and funnily enough the usual suspects were predictably absent from the praise Nintendo were getting. Loads of new faces showed up, and then disappeared again, which illustrated nicely how the board's constant negativity has driven so many people away.

The positivity lasted about two days and funnily enough the usual suspects were predictably absent from the praise Nintendo were getting.

Yeah, that's why I said it "didn't do much for some". :indeed:

Loads of new faces showed up, and then disappeared again, which illustrated nicely how the board's constant negativity has driven so many people away.

Disagree. H-o-T basically shares my sentiment on why people are driven away.

I've found it's when people get all defensive that discussions all go to hell.

The positivity lasted about two days and funnily enough the usual suspects were predictably absent from the praise Nintendo were getting. Loads of new faces showed up, and then disappeared again, which illustrated nicely how the board's constant negativity has driven so many people away.

You're one of the most negative people on here. Not about Nintendo, obviously, but general attitude. It's off putting for me and I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same.

Miiverse is a social network, and every user has their own private profile and they can block people from seeing their posts.

No one is stopping Grazza posting his opinions on Miiverse, one individual has stopped Grazza posting on his own private profile. That isn't censorship, it's just a choice. If I don't want to debate an issue with someone on my own private profile, that's my business - my profile, my rules to who says what.

A public forum is a different matter altogether, and if someone was blocked from giving their opinion on a public forum that exists for the purpose of debate and discussion that would be censorship.

Miiverse is a social network, and every user has their own private profile and they can block people from seeing their posts.

No one is stopping Grazza posting his opinions on Miiverse, one individual has stopped Grazza posting on his own private profile. That isn't censorship, it's just a choice. If I don't want to debate an issue with someone on my own private profile, that's my business - my profile, my rules to who says what.

A public forum is a different matter altogether, and if someone was blocked from giving their opinion on a public forum that exists for the purpose of debate and discussion that would be censorship.

Thank you. Sense at last.

Perhaps we are due for a template on how to talk and respond to one another when it comes to expressing opinions? :laughing:

- Utter opinion.

- Acknowledge the other's opinion as normal as possible, utter own opinion.

- Strengthen your opinion with arguments.

- Acknowledge the other's arguments as normal as possible, utter own arguments.

- Acknowledge that both see things differently since the subjective preferences are different.

- Live happily ever after.

I cannot recall a single post on here that goes something like:

"You know what, because you said this and that, I now agree with you that NINTENDO should do this and that."

I think we have to come to terms with the fact that we shouldn't be trying to convince each other here, but just express how we feel about things, acknowledge it and move on instead of lingering on it.

X likes things this way, and Y isn't that particular about what X is proposing.

There's too much ego-battling going on these days and not a lot of game discussion anymore.

I think I might go to the Zelda thread again :D

It's hilarious how hostile and defensive people get when they disagree with someone who has a different opinion on gaming than themselves. I just enjoy reading this thread. :laughing: