NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

This I believe was the Wii U's most successful week ever in the UK Top 40 in terms of numbers of games in the charts.

BXDzCTE.png

4 games. Will we ever see the likes again? I don't believe so.

GTA, COD, FIFA, Creed, Minecraft, Far Cry :zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

Unfortunately that list doesn't include downloaded titles. Hotline Miami would have been in the top 5 if it wasn't just physical games.

(Ps. Hotline Miami 2 is amazing. SO DAMN GOOD)

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pokemon Alpha, Pokemon Omega :zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

:indeed:

Amen. Sequel bullshit to his sequel bullshit. :heh:

Nobody wins. That was never presented as a point anyway - just that the Wii U doesn't shift many games, regardless of how many units are out there.

That was never presented as a point anyway - just that the Wii U doesn't shift many games, regardless of how many units are out there.

Exactly, and yet Ronnie has this need to ALWAYS bring this other thing up and later complain that the thread has derailed.

People have different preferences in terms of what they like and what they don't like. Truthfully, Wii U fans are by far in the minority in terms of enjoying games like Mario Kart etc. Whilst I'm not into games like Far Cry and FIFA, I expect them to chart because most western games enjoy them. Complaining about them is pointless because any entertainment industry is the same (Heck, I expect to see Fast and Furious 7 at the top of the Film Charts by next week).

What people fail to realise is that the charts are not representative of total game sales as they only refer to PHYSICAL game sales. Many gamers download games onto their consoles now and the actual sales chart is very different to the published one.

Where is this supposed direct then? Wouldn't we have heard by now?

With all of the bad news about delays and the resultant doom of the console, I could do with knowing what Nintendo's plans are beyond May 8th (Kirby's release date).

Particularly interested in Splatoon and the DLC contents and dates for Smash and Mario Kart.

Where is this supposed direct then? Wouldn't we have heard by now?

With all of the bad news about delays and the resultant doom of the console, I could do with knowing what Nintendo's plans are beyond May 8th (Kirby's release date).

Particularly interested in Splatoon and the DLC contents and dates for Smash and Mario Kart.

We typically don't hear officially until the day before.

So if it's tomorrow, we'll hear in an hour or two. If it's Thursday, we'll hear tomorrow and if it's Friday, we'll hear on Thursday.

Cheers. Not sure why they only announce the day before or so. Especially in this case, given the Zelda reveal.

Cheers. Not sure why they only announce the day before or so. Especially in this case, given the Zelda reveal.

Keeps dat hype nice and fresh. :D

Come on guys, it's Nintendo Direct hype train time!

Let's make the most wild and unrealistic predictions then bitch and moan when our ludicrous expectations are not met :)

I'll make the prediction that I'll find the Direct shite and that I'll moan about it being shite. :p

I'll make the prediction that I'll find the Direct shite and that I'll moan about it being shite. :p

Hardly a prediction :p

Hardly a prediction :p

I still hope inside that they'll blow my socks off like I know they can... it just upsets me that they tend to choose not to.

Whats going on in here....

649B6400-84EE-4DBA-A0A2-6194DFBB8A04_zpssv2jsxyz.gif

I often wanted to use that gif but could never find a decent version of it. That is brilliant. I will have to use that in future.

Microsoft Once Had Some Pretty Wild Ideas, Including Making Xbox Free And Buying Nintendo

"Name a bad idea and it was something we had to deal with"

Back when Microsoft was looking at entering the home gaming market and working on the first Xbox console, people within the company had some pretty far out ideas - precious few of which actually came to pass, thankfully.

Speaking to Gamesindustry.biz, Oddworld Inhabitants' Lorne Lanning has revealed that one of the main reasons his company pledged support for the original Xbox was that Microsoft had, at one point, mooted the idea of giving away the console for free. Lanning's studio would create Munch's Oddysee for the console's launch, a game which Microsoft hoped would help it battle Nintendo's mascot, Mario:

At the time, Xbox thought that the core market was going to be casual. They were going to be the casual gamers' machine. Now, that's why they approached us because they said 'we think you've got something that competes in that Mario space and we think Mario's the thing to kill ... We see that space. We want that audience. We love Oddworld so why don't you get on this bandwagon? And we might give the box away'. So now you're like, 'look, if you're going to give the box away, you're going to win. If you're going to win, we want to be on board'.

Of course, not even Microsoft was mad enough to give its expensive hardware for nothing - but this was just one of many questionable ideas dreamed up by people within the company. Another was buying Nintendo outright.

Also speaking to Gamesindustry.biz, Xbox co-creator Seamus Blackley explains that some of the conversations within Microsoft were extremely testing for the Xbox team, with daft ideas being floated at practically every opportunity:

In the early days of Xbox, especially before we had figured out how to get greenlit for the project as a pure game console, everybody and their brother who saw the new project starting tried to come in and say it should be free, say it should be forced to run Windows after some period of time.

Just name it, name a bad idea and it was something we had to deal with.

Blackley explains that snapping up Nintendo was just one of those ideas. Microsoft had previously considered purchasing Sega, but that never happened, either.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/03/microsoft_once_had_some_pretty_wild_ideas_including_making_xbox_free_and_buying_nintendo

Edited by Wii

What people fail to realise is that the charts are not representative of total game sales as they only refer to PHYSICAL game sales. Many gamers download games onto their consoles now and the actual sales chart is very different to the published one.

Late to the party in picking this one up but it was Kotaku, of all places, that brought this up recently and is why they won't be publishing the sales charts anymore. I think everyone has long since realised that the charts don't represent what it truly going on with gaming, particular as PC gaming is more or less non-existant in those charts (and from the third party data Kotaku could get their hands on, Cities: Skylines would've been the top selling game for the other week) and as you rightly say, downloads on consoles aren't taken into account as things like Hotline Miami 2 would also be charting about now.

So yeah, while it's interesting to look at the charts to give a very basic idea of how things are selling in the UK, it's not really telling of what's happening and good on the likes of Kotaku for deciding against reproducing them every week now. As was said by one of the writers on their UK site, the music industries recent move to include streaming/download data in the charts should be the model which the game industry strives to utilise.

Hi, I am new here and need some help :).

I am in the process of getting a Wii U (hope there is an Easter offer), but, my plan is to get it in Germany, while I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina - not EU, but Europe :)).

My question is am I going to be able to use the e-shop without restrictions and also, on what country should I set it (I've read that it could change the games I can buy)?

Also, because I would probably buy all the games from the e-shop (as it is cheaper then buying it here) do they have most of the games on e-shop, especially the first party ones?

And the last question for now, my friend is going to test the Wii U before he sends it here, so will it be a problem for me to set it up again, is there a reset option, or is he supposed to set it up the was I am going to use it?

I hope everything is clear with the questions and that somebody is going to be able to give me some answers :).

Thx a lot in advance :).

Hi, I am new here and need some help :).

I am in the process of getting a Wii U (hope there is an Easter offer), but, my plan is to get it in Germany, while I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina - not EU, but Europe :)).

My question is am I going to be able to use the e-shop without restrictions and also, on what country should I set it (I've read that it could change the games I can buy)?

Also, because I would probably buy all the games from the e-shop (as it is cheaper then buying it here) do they have most of the games on e-shop, especially the first party ones?

And the last question for now, my friend is going to test the Wii U before he sends it here, so will it be a problem for me to set it up again, is there a reset option, or is he supposed to set it up the was I am going to use it?

I hope everything is clear with the questions and that somebody is going to be able to give me some answers :).

Thx a lot in advance :).

Whatever you set your country to, the eShop will be for that country without restrictions wherever you are in the world. I have a UK (European WiiU) in Taiwan, but use the UK eShop without any problems whatsoever. The country you set it to is up to you, but try and choose somewhere cheaper and where they have a language you can read, and have a compatible Credit Card for (you could also buy eShop cards).

All games these days, especially 1st party opnes are released via the eShop, but are so much more expensive as they tend to be at RRP (full retail price).

During set-up it'll ask you to assign an NNID to your console, I suppose you'll be able to delete everything and start over again when you get it. I'm not 100% sure on that.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth coming to Wii U and New 3DS. Not to the regular 3DS.

No release date has been announced, yet.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has been confirmed for Xbox One, Wii U and New 3DS. But not the older models of 3DS (i.e. 3DS XL, 2DS, and regular vanilla 3DS).

Eurogamer

People should get it, it's fucking amazing : peace:

Also:

[tweet]583381586168582144[/tweet]

Good job on getting rid of Dan, Nintendo.