NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

£50 for a 2TB. CHeap

That's not the norm for a 2TB hard drive. Certainly nothing at all like that here in Ireland. Links please? You might find the odd link but you can add 50% at least usually.

Anybody can quote bargain prices. I got Metroid Prime Trilogy brand new for €5 but it's ultra rare.

That's not the norm for a 2TB hard drive. Certainly nothing at all like that here in Ireland. Links please? You might find the odd link but you can add 50% at least usually.

Anybody can quote bargain prices. I got Metroid Prime Trilogy brand new for €5 but it's ultra rare.

£60 for this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-desktop-external-drive/dp/B0084LZI5Y/ref=pd_ybh_16

I got it for £50

Yeah... USB HDDs are stupid cheap. You don't even need 2TB anyway, if you go for a 1TB drive (which is still really overkill!) or even 500GB (which is probably more than enough for most people still), it's even cheaper (you're talking about £30-£37 - there's a good quality Seagate one on Amazon currently going for £37)

Yeah... USB HDDs are stupid cheap. You don't even need 2TB anyway, if you go for a 1TB drive (which is still really overkill!) or even 500GB (which is probably more than enough for most people still), it's even cheaper (you're talking about £30-£37 - there's a good quality Seagate one on Amazon currently going for £37)

I purchased that yesterday! Great minds ;)

Out of interest, when does Metroid Prime Trilogy officially release on the eShop?

I purchased that yesterday! Great minds ;)

Out of interest, when does Metroid Prime Trilogy officially release on the eShop?

Thursday, around 2pm.

Does that need a power cable or does it use a y cable?

I thought that Nintendo were a bit odd about whether that would work?

I have the lan adaptor in the back of the console. If I use a hub for the data cable of the HD and the LAN would that be enough power?

I have the lan adaptor in the back of the console. If I use a hub for the data cable of the HD and the LAN would that be enough power?

That one I listed would need a Y Cable and whether or not the USB Hub would supply enough power depends on the hub itself. It might be enough or it might not be...

Generally speaking, if your USB hub is self powered (I.e, plugged into a wall socket), it should provide enough power just fine. If not? Well, that depends on the hub itself I suppose, but I'd guess not.

It will almost definitely need a Y cable, as the USB ports in the Wii U don't draw enough power (oh, the irony!!!) as they are USB 2.0 ports and not 3.0 ones.

You can get a Y cable from amazon for a couple of quid...get on it :)

they are USB 2.0 ports and not 3.0 ones.

Nintendo making a bad design choice? Never! :heh:

It will almost definitely need a Y cable, as the USB ports in the Wii U don't draw enough power (oh, the irony!!!) as they are USB 2.0 ports and not 3.0 ones.

You can get a Y cable from amazon for a couple of quid...get on it :)

I would get on it, but I am using 3 of the 4 USB ports on the console (LAN and GCN Adaptor). :shakehead

I would get on it, but I am using 3 of the 4 USB ports on the console (LAN and GCN Adaptor). :shakehead

USB hub, it's worth getting one. : peace:

Is power not a problem then? If I get a hub that requires a wall socket I might as well get a powered HD and only use one socket.

It's best to get a powered hard drive if possible, I meant in terms of getting a 4 port USB hub as well - one that doesn't require power - so that you'd have a spare port or two left over.

My current setup has a powered hard drive plugged into one USB port at the back, while the other port is taken up by the 4-port USB hub - non-powered - which has both of the GC adapter leads in it plus a pro-controller charging cable leaving me with one port free on the hub plus two on the front of the console should I ever need them. : peace:

As for power strips I have about eight or nine at last count... :blank: though at least three are more or less just extensions for the other side of the room, it's OK as long as you spread the load out and you don't try to turn everything on at once simultaneously. :indeed:

It probably sounds dodgy but I've learned to live carefully with my many power strips over the years, they might not look elegant but they are definitely all functional and are a must if you have multiple consoles you like to use regularly. : peace:

Given the talk of HDDs for Metroid - how big is the download?

It's 7.5GB give or take a little.

It's best to get a powered hard drive if possible, I meant in terms of getting a 4 port USB hub as well - one that doesn't require power - so that you'd have a spare port or two left over.

My current setup has a powered hard drive plugged into one USB port at the back, while the other port is taken up by the 4-port USB hub - non-powered - which has both of the GC adapter leads in it plus a pro-controller charging cable leaving me with one port free on the hub plus two on the front of the console should I ever need them. : peace:

As for power strips I have about eight or nine at last count... :blank: though at least three are more or less just extensions for the other side of the room, it's OK as long as you spread the load out and you don't try to turn everything on at once simultaneously. :indeed:

It probably sounds dodgy but I've learned to live carefully with my many power strips over the years, they might not look elegant but they are definitely all functional and are a must if you have multiple consoles you like to use regularly. : peace:

Your setup is exactly the same as mine, just replace the charging cable with a USB LAN adapter.

And like you, I have a massive 10 way power strip behind my TV and an extension on top of that for good measure with another 2 power sockets free for future stuff... yeah, I have a LOT of things plugged in... It's a real spaghetti junction behind there! (But thankfully it's all invisible when you're actually looking at the telly - not a single visible wire, and that's the most important thing ;) )

I'm really proud of my setup! (Think I posted pics before on here). All wireless controllers, so no visible wires going across the floor, with virtually every device all controlled by one Harmony Smart Touch remote! (I freaking LOVE that thing! :D) I even have an N64 plugged in on the opposite end of my TV underneath my sofa! (the video cable is connected to a massive extension that travels around the skirting board of my living room - likewise I also have another audio cable travelling through the skirting board that connects directly to my surround sound Reciever, with a headphone adapter attached for hooking up portable devices like a 3DS to my Reciever (all without a single visible wire going around the room!)

I love it! There's a massive amount of stuff hooked up, but it's all completely minimalist! (You'd never know that I have 5 consoles hooked up to my TV unless I showed you!) I also have all of my Wii U, PS3 and most of my retro games (via Virtual Console) in digital form, so no need to ever swap discs or leave cases visible (and my Wii collection will now be joining them shortly thanks to Nintendo finally making them available digitally! :D )

Edited by Dcubed

DCubed has such an intricate setup, it's amazing.

So naturally, when I come around, I plonk my WiiU right on the table in the middle of the room with a single wire travelling to a plug socket.

And I always find that funny.

DCubed has such an intricate setup, it's amazing.

So naturally, when I come around, I plonk my WiiU right on the table in the middle of the room with a single wire travelling to a plug socket.

And I always find that funny.

Yup! Always hilarious :laughing:

He does a good job of messing up my bedroom setup too when he plonks his stuff in there too :p

Anyway, my living room setup is still incomplete mind you. I'm looking to completely replace my 360 with a Steambox esc PC that'll also double up as a Xbone/PS4 replacement and a HTPC.

I can't replace the PS3 because it is my PS1 and PS2 player (virtually all of the PS2 games I actually care about have already been HD remastered, while the couple of stragglers just get played on my US PS2 that's in another room) and also my Bluray player (the fact that it works with the Harmony remote via Bluetooth is also a huge bonus as it means that I can stick it anywhere, without it needing to be in range of the IR blaster ;) )

My US Wii is also my GCN player as well as my primary N64/TG16/Megadrive/Master System/NeoGeo/Arcade game device (the actual N64 is there just for the Rare games that will almost certainly never see a VC release - I really don't like how they messed around with the games when they were released on 360 so they don't exist to me! Plus they're taking forever with the Wii U N64 VC releases, so it turned out to be a good move in that respect too ;) ). The US Wii is also good for the few games that were released in 50hz on Wii U (I'm looking at YOU Zelda ALTTP, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Kirby's Adventure and DKC2!)

My UK Wii U already covers almost all of my NES and SNES games (it's pretty much just missing the Square Enix games from the Wii VC now, as well as a couple of holdouts like Zombies Ate My Neighbours that'll probably come in due course - well, except for the following SNES games I have on cart... Yoshi's Island, Starfox and Tetris & Dr Mario) as well as a large chunk of my GBA library (it'll get there I'm sure) as well as my Wii U library (duh!) and the one major holdout that gave me a reason to keep my 360 plugged in (Bayonetta 1). If the missing consoles from the Wii VC make their way over to the EU Wii U VC in 60hz form (that's something I simply won't budge on - 50hz means that it doesn't exist to me unless it's an EU/JPN exclusive anyway), I'll gladly upgrade them too. I'd love to be able to consolidate as much as possible onto the one machine! (not to mention all the awesome Wii U VC benefits too! :D )

The only consoles that aren't covered by my living room setup that I have are my Dreamcast and my Saturn and that's because there's no realistic way to hook them up, like with the N64, without massively degrading the picture quality - Composite is the best I can get out of an N64 anyway, so the picture isn't really noticeably degraded). So those consoles live in another room along with my other machines :)

Sorry for clogging up this thread but I can't really help myself! (Plus it's relevant because it's a big part of why I really love the fact that they're finally releasing digital Wii games! I just hope that GCN joins it shortly! Then my setup will finally be completely disc free! :D )

Edited by Dcubed

Nintendo Wins Metacritic's Annual Game Publisher Rankings

Nintendominance

Back in 2011, Metacritic started doing an annual ranking for video game companies; publishers are categorized according to the number of releases for the year and judged by overall Metacritic scores. Also, sales and user reviews aren't taken into account for the overall rankings, so only reviews from authorised media outlets are counted. Last year Nintendo made the top 5, coming in at number 4; this year it's pulled ahead to the coveted number one spot, seeing off its closest rivals in Ubisoft and Electronic Arts.

For Nintendo, the best rated overall release was, unsurprisingly, Super Smash Bros. For Wii U., while Bravely Default took Best New Original Title (as it was released in early 2014 in North America and wasn't part of an existing series). Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder was Worst Overall Release and the winner of Users' Favourite was a three-way tie between Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, and Mario Kart 8. Nintendo released more unique titles than any other publisher and was the only one to make the 'green' bracket, with an average Metascore of 76.5 just clearing the cutoff.

Metacritic has also released some other sets of data outlining the most popular games along with the best and worst performers on each platform - hit up the link below to read the full breakdown.

What do you think of these results? Were you pleased with Nintendo's output over the last year? Sound off in the comments below.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/01/nintendo_wins_metacritics_annual_game_publisher_rankings

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2014-releases?

I can imagine Nintendo winning even more awards for their 2015 output as well, fingers crossed.

Nintendo's Q3 financial report is expected in roughly 3 hours time.

[TWEET]560279193376653312[/TWEET]

Some estimates from an analyst.

Nintendo Earnings: What to Watch

Japanese video game maker Nintendo is scheduled to announce its fiscal third-quarter earnings after the market closes on Wednesday. While the company is widely expected to post a small profit thanks to strong sales of new game titles during a typically strong selling season and the weak yen against the dollar and euro, it’s unclear whether the company can continue its growth momentum in coming quarters, given lack of clear sales drivers.

EARNINGS FORECAST: Nintendo is expected to report a net profit of ¥35.52 billion ($301.67 million) for the three months ended December, according to a poll of six analysts surveyed by financial data provider Quick. A year earlier, it reported a net profit of ¥9.6 billion.

REVENUE FORECAST: Revenue is expected fall to ¥275.54 billion from ¥302.5 billion a year earlier.

WHAT TO WATCH:

• GOOD QUARTER BUT WHAT’S NEXT? Thanks to smashing sales of flagship game software such as Monster Hunter and Pokémon for handheld Nintendo 3DS machines, analysts say the Kyoto-based company should have enjoyed a good Christmas holiday selling season. But it needs to explain how it will remain profitable. While Nintendo repeatedly has denied interest, analysts insist it should launch smartphone games as the category is growing rapidly. Investors are also awaiting more details on its new healthcare-related service called Quality of Life, which is expected to start contributing to Nintendo’s earnings from the business year starting in April 2016.

• DISAPPOINTING WII U SALES IN JAPAN: According to major videogame magazine Famitsu, sales of Wii U consoles in Japan fell to 429,146 units during the April-December period, compared with 657,641 units a year earlier. Nintendo aims to sell 3.6 million units globally this business year ending in March, and its Japan operation accounts for one-third of the total revenue. Sales of handheld 3DS also declined, to 2.5 million units from 3.6 million units, according to the magazine.

• CAN IT ACHIEVE ITS FULL-YEAR FORECAST?: Nintendo has guided its full-year operating profit to be ¥40 billion, but analysts say that’s hard to achieve given disappointing 3DS sales, though the weak yen should give the company some lift. The yen has weakened 13% against the U.S. dollar and 5.6% against the euro during the quarter, making Nintendo’s products more profitable overseas. Nintendo also holds a large sum of savings denominated in the dollar and euro. Analysts also say that costs may rise from resuming Wii U production. The manufacturing cost for much of the Wii Us sold so far this business year was already booked, making this year’s sales of Wii U exceptionally profitable on its books. Goldman, for example, expects Nintendo’s full-year operating profit will be ¥25.8 billion.

• SOFTWARE CONCERNS: Since Nintendo released many of its blockbuster titles such as Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, analysts are concerned that Nintendo may not have any more strong software titles that would make people want to buy Nintendo consoles to play such games, thus boosting sales of hardware in the coming quarters. Sales of Amiibo action figures have been also somewhat disappointing, analysts say.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/01/27/nintendo-earnings-what-to-watch-7/

Nintendo's Q3 financial report is expected in roughly 3 hours time.

I won't bother with the numbers ( someone can put them in the sales thread ) but Nintendo are in the black for a second quarter, which is good news. The Wii U continues to chug along but the main thing for the company is they are making a profit. The attach ratio for the Wii U is pretty good though.

Tomorrows investor meeting should be interesting...

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Sales of Amiibo action figures have been also somewhat disappointing, analysts say.

Say what? Proves analysts know absolutely nothing

Say what? Proves analysts know absolutely nothing

It's probably because they are so stock limited at the moment (or at least they were). They were bottlenecked by production during launch so they probably didn't sell as much as they would've wanted to.

I've been listening to the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast and they were saying how stores simply weren't getting much stock before Christmas.