NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

If their non-kiddy games were going to dispel the kiddy image, wouldn't it have done so before the WiiU even came out?

It's never gonna happen, they could make the most violent, gory game ever, and people would still see them as "kiddy"

Not really because Nintendo from GC onwards has not really taken the core gamer demographic seriously. If anything they do everything possible to dissociate themself from this demographic. When video games become popular with 18-35 year old males Nintendo refused to accomodate those people.

They think the pie is big enough that they can get the big chunk from the more casual gamer and kids. Problem is however that market has is decreasing and kids are now moving to more adult games way before they hit 16.

Not really because Nintendo from GC onwards has not really taken the core gamer demographic seriously. If anything they do everything possible to dissociate themself from this demographic. When video games become popular with 18-35 year old males Nintendo refused to accomodate those people.

Are you including the Gamecube in that?

Because I thought the Gamecube had some pretty "Mature" games there.

(I hate that word. "Mature")

If their non-kiddy games were going to dispel the kiddy image, wouldn't it have done so before the WiiU even came out?

It's never gonna happen, they could make the most violent, gory game ever, and people would still see them as "kiddy"

This is an odd post..

You are only seen as kiddy if you advertise the console that way. Don't you ever wonder why the N64 wasn't seen as a kiddy console? As a result it sold 22 million units in the USA alone.

And haven't you ever wondered why the Gamecube got a kiddy reputation in the West and lost market share to Microsoft?

It's simply the direction they've gone under Iwata. Go read the interviews that Iwata and Miyamoto did around the GC launch..they ALL say that they want to appeal to children. It was completely different to the days of the N64. The days of someone like Howard Lincoln having a say on Nintendo's board are long gone, unfortunately.

It saddens me what they did to the Gamecube. What a fantastic console..great price, awesome specs and decent 3rd party support (despite Miyamoto saying that developers should consider themselves as 'lucky' if they got a dev kit..good lord). Why couldn't they advertise it properly!

Edit. If you haven't already done so, go read Emily Rogers' piece on the GC. The quotes from Nintendo representatives at the consoles launch are so sad and disappointing. They presented it to the media in the wrong way and never realised (probably because English wasn't their first language). It doesn't help that they gave up on the FPS market too and basically handed it to the Xbox, which overtook them in the West.

Edited by Goron_3

That it did but but while xbox was starting a bros market and a online network where friends played together Nintendo launched a purple console that looked like a toy.

Indeed it did but nothing compared to the Xbox or the PS2. When you put Wind Waker and Sunshine next to the GTA and Halo, it was clear who many in the West would side with. Those TV spots they did for the GC didn't help either...

*shudders*

I never really was a big fan of Wave Race or F-Zero on Gamecube. So it always feels surreal when I see how much they are loved around here.

If they did release HD versions, I would just shrug and not bother with them.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the more technical racing games.

F-Zero GX really is not technical. I only say this because I have tried to get into genuinely technical racing games, like Forza on the Xbox, and haven't been able to at all. GX was a pure arcade game - once you'd learnt which type of banking to use on which corners, you had a very good chance at mastering it.

There's a middle ground though. Whilst I wouldn't want Nintendo to make violent, gory games (I think it'd be beneath them, frankly), there was a type of tone they used to be excellent at - Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess, F-Zero GX - that used to attract a broader crowd. Not violent, not gory, just something that allows a different feel. True gamers used to boast about those and feel proud to have them on their console.

There's no point in chasing gamers who have always thought that Nintendo is "kiddy", but I still say there's an audience of more reasonable gamers out there who haven't really felt engaged with Nintendo since the N64/GameCube and the days of the consoles just having a traditional controller.

Perhaps F-zero can be technical, but it is very accessible. I'm not a particularly skilled gamer and I never took the time to scratch the surface, but I was able to complete the single player and unlock everything (although I seem to remember some unlockables that required AX - if that's an accurate memory I didn't unlock those!).

Games having a hidden depth like that I think is perfect, as opposed to some games I have played and the depth was to close to the surface, you needed to invest too much too early in order to get any level of enjoyment from it.

I would definitely consider F-zero and WaveRace to be "technical" racers. They have very nuanced controls, complex track/course design, extreme speed and very steep difficulty curves.

Compared to something like Mario Kart (not to say that those games lack plenty of depth themselves mind you!) the difference is very obvious.

Oh and @Glen\-i What did I tell you before about sneaking off into the Wii U General Discussion thread by yourself?

Naughty naughty... :p

Edited by Dcubed

Oh and @Glen\-i What did I tell you before about sneaking off into the Wii U General Discussion thread?

Naughty naughty... :p

2123546-gsm_169_gamingmeme_dangerous_vf_au_112212_320.jpg

Regarding F Zero: It's actually got a decent balance, imo. You can definitely improve at it and get better, because it isn't easy, yet you can get away without being too overly technical about it.

There's certain games series that won't ever sell the console by themselves, but when coupled together or grouped together, they make the console look more appealing. F Zero by itself probably isn't enough for most people, but F Zero and Wave Race with a Zelda and Metroid thrown in suddenly looks very good and varied.

Besides sales, games are a means of showing off your creativity. That's why a lot of the indies do it, I guess, because they want to actually make something different and show it off to the rest of the world. Even if an F Zero doesn't sell as many copies as New Super Mario Bros. does, it's still a way to create an exhilarating racing experience where you can be competitive against others or have tons to unlock with a strong singeplayer.

Whilst I wouldn't want Nintendo to make violent, gory games (I think it'd be beneath them, frankly),

It seems like you're suggesting violent games are somehow automatically inferior. Thats simply not the case. Violence may not be your cup of tea but there are plenty of exceptional films and books which include strong violence and I see no reason why gaming should be any different.

If violence is relevant, justified and truly considered it can be a super addition. I'd agree that most games, certainly the bigger franchise games, treat violence in a rather blase way, quite childish in fact - and that's not what I want from Nintendo.

It seems like you're suggesting violent games are somehow automatically inferior. Thats simply not the case. Violence may not be your cup of tea but there are plenty of exceptional films and books which include strong violence and I see no reason why gaming should be any different.

If violence is relevant, justified and truly considered it can be a super addition. I'd agree that most games, certainly the bigger franchise games, treat violence in a rather blase way, quite childish in fact - and that's not what I want from Nintendo.

I'm not suggesting the games themselves are inferior. I'm saying it's rather low and base to go for the lowest common denominator.

Indeed it did but nothing compared to the Xbox or the PS2. When you put Wind Waker and Sunshine next to the GTA and Halo, it was clear who many in the West would side with. Those TV spots they did for the GC didn't help either...

*shudders*

Whatever do you mean?

Sweet dreams! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

A mate has asked me to help out with the Church youth night tonight. They are having a videogames night and the young lads complained that last time the games they played were pretty poor. Enter H-o-T and the Wii U. :D

I was thinking about taking the PS4 but then realised how few games there are that have local multiplayer, at least in my collection.

This is will only be the second time where I have got to play local multiplayer in a big group on the Wii U. I'm looking forward to finally trying out Smash Bros in 8 player mode, frantic races on Mario Kart and possibly a few Mario chases on Nintendo Land.

I'm thinking about have a name in the hat kind of thing for Smash Bros, with match types and characters used being drawn at random. Should make things even more interesting. Well looking forward to it.

This is an odd post..

You are only seen as kiddy if you advertise the console that way. Don't you ever wonder why the N64 wasn't seen as a kiddy console? As a result it sold 22 million units in the USA alone.

The console with the first 3D Mario and Pokémon compatibility? I can think of a few reasons as to why it sold well.

That said, I think Rare's involvement (see: Goldeneye) sure convinced people that N64 was the go-to console for shooters. Retro Studios did something similar with Metroid Prime, but people didn't flock to that for some reason. Hell, I still have a hard time figuring out how come Halo got popular in the first place when Quake, Timesplitters and PC shooters already existed.

Back to the main point, Nintendo should get a couple of European developers under their wing again.

Japan is getting Bowser and Toad Wii remote controllers. Available on 12 March.

img4.png#remotecontrolcharacter?type=slide&width=570

img5.png#remotecontrolcharacter?type=slide&width=570

We'll most likely get them as well at some point.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Japan is getting Bowser and Toad Wii remote controllers. Available on 12 March.

img5.png#remotecontrolcharacter?type=slide&width=570[/center]

I take it you will be buying this one?

I take it you will be buying this one?

Nah, I don't want to get Turd on my hands. ;)

A mate has asked me to help out with the Church youth night tonight. They are having a videogames night and the young lads complained that last time the games they played were pretty poor. Enter H-o-T and the Wii U. :D

Take this from someone who has done a similar thing. (Community centre)

8 controllers gets really hard to keep track of.

Downloadable Wii games is a good idea and the price seems right, but I don't suppose they would ever patch the Wii functionality so that disc-based games would benefit from using the Gamepad as a classic controller, or so that you could use the GC adapter with games that used to support GC controllers...

BTW, I know it's probably been said. But I really want to hammer this point home.

Metroid Prime Trilogy for less than a tenner is too awesome for words.

If you don't have a disc version, get it. Get it now! If you don't, I seriously have to question your proficiency with money.

BTW, I know it's probably been said. But I really want to hammer this point home.

Metroid Prime Trilogy for less than a tenner is too awesome for words.

If you don't have a disc version, get it. Get it now! If you don't, I seriously have to question your proficiency with money.

Get a disc version now, or get the digital version in just over a fortnight for less than £10?:wtf:

What is mp3 like? I enjoyed the original, but the second fell a bit flat for me, I didn't enjoy the dark world mechanic at all.

Get a disc version now, or get the digital version in just over a fortnight for less than £10?:wtf:

What is mp3 like? I enjoyed the original, but the second fell a bit flat for me, I didn't enjoy the dark world mechanic at all.

Of the 3 games I think Corruption is the worst. I enjoyed it but not as much as the other 2. Echoes was a bit like marmite. I liked the increase in difficulty from the first game.

Edit: 1 thing to possibly dampen your enthusiasm for this download is I think you'll be looking at an 8GB bite out of your system memory.

I was contemplating downloading it myself until I realised this. I don't want to open any of my sealed copies.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Of the 3 games I think Corruption is the worst. I enjoyed it but not as much as the other 2. Echoes was a bit like marmite. I liked the increase in difficulty from the first game.

Edit: 1 thing to possibly dampen your enthusiasm for this download is I think you'll be looking at an 8GB bite out of your system memory.

I was contemplating downloading it myself until I realised this. I don't want to open any of my sealed copies.

Tbh.. I don't think it was actually the gameplay, I just didn't really get into the story. It was possibly too close to metroid prime.

I have an external HDD, so it'll give it something to do for once, I doubt it's gonna get filled within this generation!! Although If Nintendo keep releasing Wii games I always intended to buy but never got round to it.. the situation may just change!