NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I'm sure I'm not imagining Nintendo mentioning the next handheld would use a very similar infrastructure to the Wii U's, so VC games can be run on both sets of hardware, home console and handheld. When that happens I imagine the release rate will double, if not more.

I don't know if they said the Wii U. I think they said the next handheld and console will have similar architecture to allow for easy porting between the 2 for VC games and presumably letting the portable games be played on the console. I'll have a look.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/nintendo-confirms-integrated-next-gen-handheld-console/

You're partly right. :)

@Wii you've never played it?! I presumed you had you slag it off so much. There's a difference between saying it isn't for me, and actively, for a long time, saying it's shit and not very good. I'm sorry, but people can't have an opinion on something they haven't played! It's ridiculous. What a bizarre brain.

Anyways. Wii U. More game have gone on the american online store to buy virtual console games. Why isn't this happening here? Why is it only a few and not everything up there to buy?! I look forward to a full online shop to buy and download games on all the devices. Sure it's coming very soon!

Then you can't slag off football teams or their players anymore because you've never played professional football. Bad example, perhaps.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

No, they definitely said same as wii u. It's why I think GBA is on the wi u. So as soon as the next handheld comes out we can play all our wii u vc purchases. Right?! RIGHT?! At no extra cost right nintendo?!?!

Then you can't slag off football teams or their players anymore because you've never played professional football. Bad example, perhaps.

That's a terrible example. I watch teams and players, like a play games...

You can't slag players off you've never seen play, that I agree with. Obviously.

I think you need to come up with a better example :) Though I don't think you can, there'll be equivalent example to condone having an opinion on a game's quality you've never played.

No, they definitely said same as wii u. It's why I think GBA is on the wi u. So as soon as the next handheld comes out we can play all our wii u vc purchases. Right?! RIGHT?! At no extra cost right nintendo?!?!

This had better be the case. There will be hell to pay if people have to pay for the games again or wait for them to drip release them again.

Not just a bad example, a terrible one.

As for next gen Nintendo, there was a job listing re: their next handheld and it said something about experience working with low powered devices was a plus, so I wouldn't expect a Wii U in your pocket, that's not Nintendo's way. It's why the Gameboy, DS and 3DS succeeded, they were low powered compared to the competition.

Edited by Ronnie

And then going forward with the Wii U's successor, it should hopefully have a strong and still expanding vc library. Talking of VC, I was really hopefuly to see GC, or at least N64 titles, start to be released before this years E3... not to mention TVii... :D

oh well, at least there are a good 7 titles I am very interested in coming this year, plus a fair back log :)

This had better be the case. There will be hell to pay if people have to pay for the games again or wait for them to drip release them again.

Surely they won't do this to us... They need it to be like iOS (and I presume android) where the games work for every generation moving forward. It would make things so strong.

How good would it be if we get our new consoles, and have 100 vc and eshop games we can play instantly, maybe some companies decide to upgrade them for a res/performance boost like with mobile too. (This is the area of mobile gaming i definitely want to move over the "proper" gaming)

Even better if all our wii u games worked.

Nintendo need to start being generous and not fleecing us for every penny. The fact we have to buy two versions of games now is sick-inducing and makes me fear nintendo will continue to penny pinch. I feel it's such a short sighted mentality, money in the now, but the more generous you are, the more loyal the fancies becomes, the bigger it becomes because people see it as great value for money, and then more sales come!!

If the Wii U successor launches with a full Virtual console, complete online system and account system, it wlll be the best launch ever.

How good would it be if we get our new consoles, and have 100 vc and eshop games we can play instantly, maybe some companies decide to upgrade them for a res/performance boost like with mobile too. (This is the area of mobile gaming i definitely want to move over the "proper" gaming)

Also, if they could make some of their old games online compatible. Take for example on the Wii U, the GBA VC games have no multiplayer nevermind online play.

Or as another example, Mario Kart Double Dash had LAN play which was reworked by hackers to play online so surely Nintendo could do it easily enough.

Edit: sorry, was too late to the party, discussions already ended ;)

Edited by markderoos

Nintendo are apparently exiting the Brazilian market.

Just saw this over at UOL (big brazilian site). No more official consoles, handhelds or games for brazilians.

They are blaming taxes, but it's obvious Nintendo problems were much bigger than just taxes over here.

They are not saying what is going to happen with the brazilian 3DS eshop and people who bought games there.

Hopefully they still maintain a presence on the other latin american countries.

Radio Free Nintendo were just talking about this during the latest episode. A listener wrote in explaining its a nightmare to get games over there and he has to use the Canadian eShop to purchase his games.

James mentioned how Microsoft get away with paying the taxes due to having facilities over there.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

wasn't the tax on the ps4 something ridiculous there? in the magnitudes of 100's of percent?

That's gonna be a problem for importers...

Brazil was the go-to region for a lot of people who bought stuff from the eShop there because they only ask for your postcode (and a British one can be entered just fine without issues).

Hopefully there's another country that works for that or that nothing is blocked for people buying from Brazil...

wasn't the tax on the ps4 something ridiculous there? in the magnitudes of 100's of percent?

It is a problem for all physical imported goods. Brazil's import tax is sky high (around 600% + IIRC! :o ), meaning that most people who are interested will just buy from another region (or through the black/grey market) due to the gigantic differences in price. Microsoft however are able to get around it by actually manufacturing consoles there.

Edited by Dcubed

worked out cheaper to fly to the states from Brazil and buy a PS4 direct.

They are not saying what is going to happen with the brazilian 3DS eshop and people who bought games there.

There is a really easy solution. Patch the 3DS and Wii U making them region free.

Edit. They come under US region but it seems you lock into the Brazilian store. Surely they could just issue a patch making the devices access the US store.

Edited by liger05

Brazil has a weird tax law that means that if it's not made in Brazil, it's taxed to hell. It's ridiculous a country can exist like that in this global market place.

Edited by Serebii

don't get me wrong, whilst i understand no voice chat online, excluding it from private rooms is plain stupid. I'm not defending that aspect whatsoever.

Excluding any kind of online chat is bullshit especially during the actual gameplay. This is why you give people choices like mute all and shit.

Excluding any kind of online chat is bullshit especially during the actual gameplay. This is why you give people choices like mute all and shit.

That people don't get this is beyond me!

That people don't get this is beyond me!

You'd always be amazed at just how low people can stoop when it comes to understanding technology.

I know we need to have complaining about no voice chat once every two and half pages on this message board, but what does the above four posts have to do with Nintendo pulling out of Brazil? :wtf:

Brazil has a weird tax law that means that if it's not made in Brazil, it's taxed to hell. It's ridiculous a country can exist like that in this global market place.

This was a relic from the...70s, was it? Old tax laws that never got lifted.

I remember a few Brazillian comic books I used to read as a kid. They'd often parody the entire concept by having a snotty rich kid be all like: "Check out this awesome kite my dad got me. It's imported, you know." :heh:

They'd also occasionally feature people complaining about money, saying that stuff like a fridge was as expensive as (or more than) a car (since fridges or washing machines are often imported).

Going back to gaming, I can always post this again.

I don't know if anybody has mentioned before but PDP aren't the only ones making licensed GameCube style Classic Controllers. Hori are too. I had used a PDP one and was so unimpressed that I didn't buy one but I recently purchased a Hori one and I can say that it is much better. The plastic feels a lot closer to the original GameCube controller and the buttons/sticks are almost perfect. There's an extra z button (neither of which are purple), the L/R aren't analogue, the start button has been replaced with plus, minus and home, there's a turbo function (which I've never got the point of) and no rumble (which makes it a lot lighter than you'd expect). Apart from the turbo and the grey z buttons all of the changes are needed so that it actually functions as a Classic Controller.

As the GameCube is my favourite controller of all time being able to use a controller very similar on games which support the Classic Controller is a really nice bonus.

Im very disappointed with how the GameCube adapters have been handled. It's really dampened my SMASH experience and it's been so long now that I don't think I can be bothered with the adapters or Smash Bros that much now anyway. I'll never understand how such a big company can be so woefully incompetent when it comes to availability of products. Don't even get me started on the frankly absurd Amiibo situation.

Really feeling a strong desire for a Mario 64-esque adventure.

Anyone else have a strong yearning for something traditionally Nintendo?