NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I wonder will there be muppets on Metacritic now reviewing some of these games trying to get the average down below 8.5?

I've 7/8 of the Wii U games. I don't own SM3DW, wasn't happy that they decided to make it like they did. If you read the interview I posted on the last page with Miyamoto it kind of sounds like we won't be getting another mainline Mario title on Wii U. Which would be $h1t and only makes me think the next console is coming sooner than a lot of people think.

Why?

Rule of thumb is typically 1 per series per console with Nintendo. It's not news and they're not Ubisoft who churn out the same series year after year.

I guess the Nintendo 64 was close to its end in 1996 when Mario 64 came out then...

B5PXs3dIEAAvpYY.jpg

Respect +1 for including Virtue's Last Reward out of nowhere! : peace:

People are criticising their use of user score, but I argue that's a more valid thing to use...but equally stupid. "Professional" reviews seem like crap these days when you see broken games like Halo Master Chief Collection, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed Unity etc. get 8, 9 & even 10s. I very rarely trust professional reviews these days.

But still, it's telling :)

One could argue that grading on the curve might be working in Nintendo's favour here.

Why?

Rule of thumb is typically 1 per series per console with Nintendo. It's not news and they're not Ubisoft who churn out the same series year after year.

I guess the Nintendo 64 was close to its end in 1996 when Mario 64 came out then...

You're comparing apples with oranges. Things were different back then. Mario 64 was a launch title. I could make equally irrelevant points. Was the Wii close to its end in 2006 when Twilight Princess came out then...?

Nintendo are fond of getting bang for their buck from game engines. Hence, CT:TT. The quotes are open to interpretation. It could mean we'll get a sequel to SM3DW but we won't get the next evolution of Mario until the next console arrives.

People are criticising their use of user score, but I argue that's a more valid thing to use...but equally stupid. "Professional" reviews seem like crap these days when you see broken games like Halo Master Chief Collection, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed Unity etc. get 8, 9 & even 10s. I very rarely trust professional reviews these days.

*Looks around the room* Who are you even arguing with? Nobody here has criticised the use of user scores. Of course, reader reviews are just as valid. I would say, however, that deliberate trolling a 0 when say the average is 9, reviews like that should be weeded out. If you've got arguments with users on other forums, keep them there. I posted it here as a good news story, lets keep it like that please.

Battlefield may have been broken at one point, but it's been working absolutely fine for many months now. Of course, you'd know that if you played it. ;)

I never played ED, but were there not chapters in that game? So it could work, if the update the game, to have extra chapters available for purchase?

And from what I understood from the vitality sensor and the game, they would seem a good match. I read this news elsewhere and they said that similar processes took place a few years back, so this may not even be planned for this generation (Launch title for Wii U2/4DS?)

Battlefield may have been broken at one point, but it's been working absolutely fine for many months now. Of course, you'd know that if you played it. ;)

Oh it is? Thank god. May finally pick it up. Last I heard, it was still glitch as hell.

Though really, the fact it was at launch is still unacceptable, especially considering how top heavy game sales are. It's getting to be so commonplace and is a disturbing trend :/

Edited by Serebii

I don't own SM3DW, wasn't happy that they decided to make it like they did.

Oh dear, your loss.

I never played ED, but were there not chapters in that game? So it could work, if the update the game, to have extra chapters available for purchase?

And from what I understood from the vitality sensor and the game, they would seem a good match. I read this news elsewhere and they said that similar processes took place a few years back, so this may not even be planned for this generation (Launch title for Wii U2/4DS?)

Yes in Eternal Darkness you played as different characters from different timelines. Games like this could definitely benefit from a fresh lick of paint. They could introduce new chapters I suppose. I'd take a new game, given the choice. Though they've talked about the possibility of more remakes, WW still remains the only one to date.

There were problems with getting the vitality sensor to work on everybody, that's ultimately I think why it was shelved. Maybe they've made some progress in the meantime.

I love @Wii's thinking when it comes to games. He "wasn't happy" they decided to make an amazing game, so didn't buy it. Brilliant.

Though really, the fact it was at launch is still unacceptable, especially considering how top heavy game sales are. It's getting to be so commonplace and is a disturbing trend :/

Totally agree.

I'm quite shocked and disgusted how far the industry has fallen in terms of launch day quality. Big releases such as Drive Club, Halo: Master Chief Collection, Assassins Creed Unity, The Crew and Battlefield were a mess at launch and just because they are fixed now ( at least some of them are ) doesn't mean they should get a free pass.

When I pay for a game I expect the thing to work as expected on day one. I shouldn't have to wait months down the line for a fix. It's far too common place now. If your game isn't ready then don't release the thing.

Not to go into fanboy mode but this is one of the many reasons why I love Nintendo games. You know when you play one that there is a quality to it. I'm not talking about gameplay as that is highly subjective. I'm talking about that when you buy one of their games you know it's going to work on day one.

I love @Wii's thinking when it comes to games. He "wasn't happy" they decided to make an amazing game, so didn't buy it. Brilliant.

Look Ronnie, Wii has told you repeatedly that you are on his ignore list and asked that you don't keep quoting and mentioning him - the way I see it you ARE making deliberate attempts to troll and wind him up - if you don't like what he has to say then add him to YOUR ignore list, but stop baiting him all the time with mentions and quotes.

Your last two posts in combination look very much to me a deliberate attempt to provoke him, the follow-up mention to the lacking response from the quote. Stop it.

It was indeed split into seperate chapters. As was the likes of Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry (all of them), Bayonetta 1 & 2 and so on and so forth.

It's a very common form of game/narrative structure.

Look Ronnie, Wii has told you repeatedly that you are on his ignore list

I think it's pretty clear by this point that I'm not. And he has the nerve to call other people liars. I'll cut down on the provocative posts, but it's very hard to ignore when I see his rubbish.

Totally agree.

I'm quite shocked and disgusted how far the industry has fallen in terms of launch day quality. Big releases such as Drive Club, Halo: Master Chief Collection, Assassins Creed Unity, The Crew and Battlefield were a mess at launch and just because they are fixed now ( at least some of them are ) doesn't mean they should get a free pass.

When I pay for a game I expect the thing to work as expected on day one. I shouldn't have to wait months down the line for a fix. It's far too common place now. If your game isn't ready then don't release the thing.

Not to go into fanboy mode but this is one of the many reasons why I love Nintendo games. You know when you play one that there is a quality to it. I'm not talking about gameplay as that is highly subjective. I'm talking about that when you buy one of their games you know it's going to work on day one.

Totally agree. Nintendo are brilliant in this regard. Other companies won't change their ways until it hits them in the pocket. Eventually a lot of analysts believe games will become all digital downloads. They'll see even less reason to do so when that day comes.

I don't mind the way say Smash has done things. They have the core game complete and right. It's just a few extra frills that will be added next year.

I think it's pretty clear by this point that I'm not. And he has the nerve to call other people liars. I'll cut down on the provocative posts, but it's very hard to ignore when I see his rubbish.

Apparently you haven't blocked any users - there is a view post button. It's probably hard for him not to click that button when he sees certain names as, like most of us, he is probably more than aware that that post is criticising him. And it's very hard to ignore when someone is bad mouthing you, and harder not to defend yourself.

The fact that I always know that a post from you (and a few others) that immediately follows a post from Wii is almost certainly going to be of a disparaging nature says something about your behaviour recently. I'd suggest you do a little more than cut down on the provocative posts.

Apparently you haven't blocked any users - there is a view post button. It's probably hard for him not to click that button when he sees certain names as, like most of us, he is probably more than aware that that post is criticising him. And it's very hard to ignore when someone is bad mouthing you, and harder not to defend yourself.

The fact that I always know that a post from you (and a few others) that immediately follows a post from Wii is almost certainly going to be of a disparaging nature says something about your behaviour recently. I'd suggest you do a little more than cut down on the provocative posts.

The reason I know he's talking about me is because I'm inundated with mentions and quotes from him in my notifications. Unlike your last post that wrote Wii, he constantly mentions @Wii and yes every post is an attack. It's hard to ignore someone when this keeps happening.

Man, haven't visited the Nintendo board for some time, but when did it become so toxic!?

Loving my new Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and Smash are absolutely sublime.

Quick question about region locking; I understand the software is region locked, but what about hardware? I'm going to Florida on Monday and want to pick up some extra controllers. Will they work?

Totally agree. Nintendo are brilliant in this regard. Other companies won't change their ways until it hits them in the pocket. Eventually a lot of analysts believe games will become all digital downloads. They'll see even less reason to do so when that day comes.

I don't mind the way say Smash has done things. They have the core game complete and right. It's just a few extra frills that will be added next year.

I think it was on this weeks Giant Bombcast where they had an email from someone who used to work for a third party dev explaining more about certification stuff and how during the last gen it was quite often that they would get a list of bugs and things back from MS and Sony to fix before release but the same game from Nintendo had nothing listed at all, despite having the same problems. Kind of shows what they were willing to let through during the Wii era.

Still though I agree with you guys that they are much better with their own games. As people have said, this year has been especially bad for games coming out broken. You can only hope that the sheer amount of bad press the games got for it will stop it happening as much but who knows.

Quick question about region locking; I understand the software is region locked, but what about hardware? I'm going to Florida on Monday and want to pick up some extra controllers. Will they work?

Controllers should be fine, just make sure they are official of course. :)

B5PXs3dIEAAvpYY.jpg

One really striking thing is that they're all sequels. I've seen people posting long lists of recent new Nintendo IPs, they clearly aren't significant enough or up to the standards of the long established franchises.

One really striking thing is that they're all sequels. I've seen people posting long lists of recent new Nintendo IPs, they clearly aren't significant enough or up to the standards of the long established franchises.

Well let's hope Splatoon pays off. It's a big risk.

People often say they want new IPs, but when they get ones like The Wonderful 101, new Nintendo owned IP, developed by a world renowned developer, fantastic title, no game breaking issues at launch and bam...it sells worse than "I Love My Horses".

Human beings in general hate change. They say they want new stuff, but we really cling onto what we know.

Truth is, while some new IPs do sell every generation, the large majority do not, even if from renowned developers

Edited by Serebii

you can hardly call them sequels. Nintendo as a rule make 1 game per console. The last Mario Kart, Smash & Pikmin are all over 5 years old on different hardware. The Mario 3D engine is new, Bayonetta is new to Nintendo hardware.

Sequels are FIFA, COD, AC etc that bring out a new game every year on the same hardware, then try and charge you the cost of the game again in DLC and after a year it's worthless.

Nice marketing ploy from Nintendo but the one probleme especially with Wii U is that it's all nintendo games. What does someone do once they have played them all or want something different.

Example I came across recently at work. Guy looking at buying new console for his son. Asked me about Wii U, told him about the good games etc. Said his son loves Mario kart but also loves fifa, loves COD and FPS games in general.

Currently plays forza on 360 also. Once I told him that there is no driving sims, no football games, no shooters etc he said he is will have to get PS4 or xbox one.

developed by a world renowned developer

The term you're looking for is "niche gaming developer". Even Metal Gear Rising - a very solid title from a massive gaming franchise - didn't have stellar sales.

Wonderful 101 was a lot more niche then their usual games, as well as being difficult to get into and having little marketing.

Nice marketing ploy from Nintendo but the one probleme especially with Wii U is that it's all nintendo games. What does someone do once they have played them all or want something different.

They buy the next one that comes out, same as on other consoles. "Nintendo games" is not a genre