NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Is it just me or Is the entire Nintendo network down atm ?

Justwhat happens when you break street dates innit ;)

Got a problem with some Nintendo hardware? Well now would not be a good time to send it for repair.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/warehouse-fire-hits-nintendo-s-uk-customer-repair-company

Pretty devastating - half glad i did my 3ds a few weeks back but also a little gutted i cant wrangle a nice shiny new zelda 3ds out of them: Have had a few repairs, finding also its 'overskinned' and thats tearing in places, not to mention my a-sticks now lost its fucking rubber....just after that last repair!)

On an unrelated note; lets talk wii u browser. Excellent in some ways(video split/mirroring, speed of mentionable sorts, touch/cursor like input feeding speed and ease) but also shite in some ways(gonna be a bit fb related as what ive been doing) - lack of up-to-date flash plugin(some fb vids dnt play), lack of shift+enter(ok niche but i do like line breaks in my fb comments), slightly tedious keyboard layout for ease of numbers/symbols(could be a shift for quick and simple/toggle use for extended use similar to android kbs), lack of address bar quick/default search(sooo standard afaic) and maybe one or another I forget.

Re: keyboard and/or toggle - any genuine reason a long press wouldn't be doable?

EDIT: did recall another cos i got it - some page too long couldnt load bullshit like...wat. sort your fucking life out in the digital age mate. Also relevant it apparentky took me ~16 minutes to write the second half of this post on my wii u! (not including this edit)

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Well played, Nintendo. Well played.

image_zps566944e4.jpg

Now, who wants to buy a kidney?

Just messing, enjoy. ;)

Well played, Nintendo. Well played.

image_zps566944e4.jpg

Now, who wants to buy a kidney?

Stupid question probably but what is in those Pokemon packets and did you buy 2 copies of the same Pokemon game?

Stupid question probably but what is in those Pokemon packets and did you buy 2 copies of the same Pokemon game?

I got a copy of Sapphire to play, the other two are limited steelbook editions. I'm just keeping those sealed up and put away.

The little packets are just figures you got with the game. GAME weren't actually supposed to give me them with the steelbook editions ( only regular editions got them, unless you ordered from the Nintendo store ) but I didn't tell them otherwise. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

A fair video review though I wish they'd check their facts... 'Virtual eShop' :blank: it's all virtual, if they'd said 'Virtual Console' then I'd know what they were talking about also what's 'Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze' I wonder, I can't help but think there's something missing from the title, it's probably just me though I am from the country I suppose. :indeed:

[/Pedantic]

But it is at least good to see the Wii U being praised a bit more on its merits at least. : peace:

It's a great console, I have no issues with the fact the graphics aren't quite up there with ps4 or xb1, for me it has far more pro's and far less cons than those, but Nintendo really funked up with the games. Far too many platformers and literally no sports games since launch

Its been a while since I played my Wii U properly but I was just playing Bayonetta and noticed how loud it was loading the disc. Obviously its hard to say without being able to hear but was the Wii U always this loud???

Its been a while since I played my Wii U properly but I was just playing Bayonetta and noticed how loud it was loading the disc. Obviously its hard to say without being able to hear but was the Wii U always this loud???

Yeah I looked up this issue as it was doing it to me too (during cutscenes). Sounds like it happens to everyone, I thought the drive was taking off.

Yeah it's always been that loud. When I use the browser I take the disc out because it's really annoying. After all the updates they still haven't patched it to give an option to shut down the disc drive when it's not in use.

IGN Wii U (Re)Review

8/10

Not bad but not stating that consumers can use multiple wii controllers, play wii titles on the system or buy a GamePad battery extension was poor.

Also stating this is a gameplay over graphics system is plain wrong and adds vitriol to the idea that graphics are superior to gameplay in the industry.

Anyone who has played the top-tier WiiU titles knows that the graphics are wonderful. Using ACIV was a nice way to show average joe that the graphics differ but that tagline of this system isn't a graphical showcase system irks me.

I would also have liked to have seen praise for Miiverse as it has proven to be a wonderful, friendly place to communicate in and the WiiU browser should have got a shout.

All of the other points were valid. Third parties are dead and buried but having NO decent, recent sports titles is the worst thing about the system in my opinion. No PES2015 annoyed me hugely and Nintendo should have had Monster/Next Level Games working on titles to plug the sim/sport gap. Make a strikers game like Smash Bros. leveraging heritage/party play and the off-TV pick up and play nature and plug that gap please!

Other than that, if you're an action gamer fan and like local multiplayer its a fab console. An 8.0 is a stretch due to the lack of VC variety and the weak variety of software in my opinion. I'd go with 7/7.5 and go up to 8+ when next year's titles drop...Splatoon, Xenoblade and Zelda all appear like great, diverse titles for the system. I just wish Nintendo would offer more variety when 3rd parties drop them. IE: making Captain Toad when they've already got Pushmo as a standout puzzle game and toad aspects in SM3DW for the system. I guess Nintendo will just keep doing what they want. As frustrating as that is to both the consumer and their market share.

Edited by tapedeck

Not bad but not stating that consumers can use multiple wii controllers, play wii titles on the system or buy a GamePad battery extension was poor.

Also stating this is a gameplay over graphics system is plain wrong and adds vitriol to the idea that graphics are superior to gameplay in the industry.

Anyone who has played the top-tier WiiU titles knows that the graphics are wonderful. Using ACIV was a nice way to show average joe that the graphics differ but that tagline of this system isn't a graphical showcase system irks me.

I would also have liked to have seen praise for Miiverse as it has proven to be a wonderful, friendly place to communicate in and the WiiU browser should have got a shout.

All of the other points were valid. Third parties are dead and buried but having NO decent, recent sports titles is the worst thing about the system in my opinion. No PES2015 annoyed me hugely and Nintendo should have had Monster/Next Level Games working on titles to plug the sim/sport gap. Make a strikers game like Smash Bros. leveraging heritage/party play and the off-TV pick up and play nature and plug that gap please!

Other than that, if you're an action gamer fan and like local multiplayer its a fab console. An 8.0 is a stretch due to the lack of VC variety and the weak variety of software in my opinion. I'd go with 7/7.5 and go up to 8+ when next year's titles drop...Splatoon, Xenoblade and Zelda all appear like great, diverse titles for the system. I just wish Nintendo would offer more variety when 3rd parties drop them. IE: making Captain Toad when they've already got Pushmo as a standout puzzle game and toad aspects in SM3DW for the system. I guess Nintendo will just keep doing what they want. As frustrating as that is to both the consumer and their market share.

I'd give it a 7, tops. Some of the reasons you mention are reasons to mark it down. Buying a larger battery capacity is something we shouldn't have to do. I'd say other things like poor hard drive size is another negative reason but they didn't mention that either. Miiverse is alright, it could be better. Posts disappear in a matter of minutes in some communities. There's a lot of reasons to keep it from a high score, slow releases, lack of variety, no 3rd party support. Like Nintendo TVii is dead will we ever see 2 gamepads used on the one system? What about buying a gamepad in a shop?

System Menu Update History

Applies to: Wii U Deluxe, Wii U Basic

Version 5.3.1 U:

Released December 1st, 2014

Mario Kart 8 highlight reel upload fix:

• Resolved an issue that resulted in some users receiving error code 104-1852 while uploading a Mario Kart 8 highlight reel to YouTube

Improvements to system stability and usability:

• Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1436/p/431/c/267

Quick question: can i use a usb stick for external memory on my Wii U?

I tried it with a 1Gb one and Wi karaoke and it works fine?

Quick question: can i use a usb stick for external memory on my Wii U?

I tried it with a 1Gb one and Wi karaoke and it works fine?

You can but I hear that it's not advisable long term as it will likely wear out quicker so it could potentially fail, they seem to be more fro backing up data rather than constant use.

Just thinking of your save files which I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose. : peace:

NINTENDO SEEMS TO BE PLANNING SOMETHING FOR THE GAME AWARDS AS THEY’VE STARTED A YOUTUBE PLAYLIST

It would appear as though Nintendo may have a bigger presence at The Game Awards this evening than previously thought. The Kyoto based company has uploaded a YouTube playlist especially for The Game Awards so there’s bound to be one announcement or another. What would you like to see Nintendo reveal at the event?

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/05/nintendo-seems-to-be-planning-something-for-the-game-awards-as-theyve-started-a-youtube-playlist/

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something. I don't think the holiday season has been going the way they had planned with the Wii U and something good revealed here might help drum up some further interest. I hope they reveal something good and not a Kranky Kong equivalent of last year.

Edit: My prediction is Devils Third. It would fit the audience well, it needs some hype, there's been recent talk about it and it needs to show its new makeover. Besides it could be out before E3.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

I get what they were trying, but saying "the time is now" for a two-year old console kind of suggests that even Nintendo thinks it's taken a while for it to get off the ground.

I get what they were trying, but saying "the time is now" for a two-year old console kind of suggests that even Nintendo thinks it's taken a while for it to get off the ground.

The last line didn't escape me. "Thanks for playing and make sure to spread the word!" Translation, "we're too stingy to spend money on advertising so you do it for us instead." They didn't even say please. I still wouldn't recommend family or friends to pick up a Wii U despite the smattering of great titles so far.

Anyway, regarding tonights The Game Awards, Tim O'Leary from Nintendo had the following tweet regarding it:

[tweet]540995374630981632[/tweet]

What's up with the site? It keeps having fart attacks.

You can watch The Game Awards Show live here:

It starts at 2 a.m. UK time.

I heard this old codger tried to sneak into the show but was told he's barred after the sh1t storm of disappointment he caused last year.

dkctf-cranky-kong.jpg

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

The last line didn't escape me. "Thanks for playing and make sure to spread the word!" Translation, "we're too stingy to spend money on advertising so you do it for us instead." They didn't even say please.

Facepalm .