NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Hurray! The NNID problem is now fixed and it only took over 10 hours to resolve. Result!

Did somebody say...

FOLDERS!

Finally! :D

So many VC titles to organise, I'm going to have one for Mario, Mega Man, Zelda... :heh:

Today is a good day!

: peace:

How the hell do you have so many icons? Sorry but that's...

What can I say? I LOVE Virtual Console! Like, something FIERCE! :heart: (When the games I actually want get released of course :p )

Going off of memory I have about 30-35 NES games (thanks sales!), about 20 SNES games, about 18 GBA games, about 30 Wii U eShop games, then my retail games and demos.

So... yeah... I can see myself filling up 300 menu icons before this generation's end... (My 3DS is already dangerously close to skirting that 300 icon limit - it's at around 250 - though again, that includes a sizeable amount of demos, downloadable trailers and a few apps that I don't really need)

My US Wii managed to narrowly escape the limit of the SD Card Menu too (that was 240 icons IIRC - think I got up to around page 10 or 11 of 12)

Edited by Dcubed

image_zps42677a6e.jpg

Much better!

My newly sorted Wii U menu:

5Z2z40Z.jpg

And yes, MK8 and SMK are permanently staying outside of their folders. ;)

I wonder if Nintendo will introduce custom themes for Wii U as well at some point, that would be cool. :)

The blank channels would irritate me.

Not keen on the icon design either...

#NoPleasingSomePeople

Agreed. Those screens are too empty now. :p

Just organise folders differently. If empty space bothers you, fill it.

Something I would personally like in a couple of my folders would be the ability to have a folder within a folder.. but I can appreciate why they want to keep things simple as they are now.

All that white space illustrates how great a 360 style carousel menu would be on the Wii U touch screen.

I do understand why people would want folders, heck, I'll be forced into using them too. But, in my opinion they're just another layer of clutter we have to dig through to find things. They don't really solve the problem of our disorganised homescreens - to clear the home screen you're putting more items to look through in a folder or to streamline the folder you're keeping more on the homescreen.

@dazzybee and I have been having (yet) another discussion this morning on the Wii U UI. I dislike it, I generally dislike icon UIs they're so Windows 1.0... and the less I use them the better. I'm a bigger fan of voice and search, along with social trending (to a degree). He's on the other side of the fence and considering an illegitimate child with Mrs Icon- so, how do other people feel? There's no right or wrong here, just opinion. Have Nintendo got the UI right?

All that white space illustrates how great a 360 style carousel menu would be on the Wii U touch screen.

I do understand why people would want folders, heck, I'll be forced into using them too. But, in my opinion they're just another layer of clutter we have to dig through to find things. They don't really solve the problem of our disorganised homescreens - to clear the home screen you're putting more items to look through in a folder or to streamline the folder you're keeping more on the homescreen.

@dazzybee and I have been having (yet) another discussion this morning on the Wii U UI. I dislike it, I generally dislike icon UIs they're so Windows 1.0... and the less I use them the better. I'm a bigger fan of voice and search, along with social trending (to a degree). He's on the other side of the fence and considering an illegitimate child with Mrs Icon- so, how do other people feel? There's no right or wrong here, just opinion. Have Nintendo got the UI right?

Icon or some sort of differentiation. Just having a search for navigation is just terrible and nothing should ever work like that, in my view.

I think the Wii U menu is great. I haven't used the PS4 menu so I can't compare to that, but I can't even look at the Xbox One menu (the interface is one of the reasons I don't consider Windows phones to even exist, and I spent yesterday removing as much of it as possible from some new work computers).

I generally dislike icon UIs they're so Windows 1.0...

Aren't they so 99% of UIs in the last couple of decades?

Behold!

:D

My newly organised home screen with folders for everything...

346arna.jpg

...plus a couple of folders which will remain 'wishful thinking' for now. :heh:

But crucially there are no empty spaces. ;)

Behold!

346arna.jpg

You've done the impossible... You've made me like folders!!! :heh:

I love this S.C.G! Looks brill! : peace:

Behold!

346arna.jpg

But when you want to play Super Mario World do you open the Mario or SNES folder???

I was thinking of doing N64 & Gamecube folders and just leaving them there hoping Nintendo would give me something to fill them up with.

You know what would be great, if we could use images for the the folders instead of just text on coloured boxes. Imagine having pics for NES & SNES like on the VC.

Edited by Clownferret

But when you want to play Super Mario World do you open the Mario or SNES folder???

I was thinking of doing N64 & Gamecube folders and just leaving them there hoping Nintendo would give me something to fill them up with.

You know what would be great, if we could use images for the the folders instead of just text on coloured boxes. Imagine having pics for NES & SNES like on the VC.

That would be in the Mario folder, I felt like at least some of the main Nintendo and third party series deserve their own folders but for everything else it's strictly by console.

Yes I am definitely hopeful that I will have at least five games minimum in each of the N64 and GC folders by this time next year :heh: make it happen Nintendo!

I was thinking that too, especially as the 3DS will be getting paid themes etc so surely the Wii U will get this too? Perhaps when you buy a theme on your 3DS that's on the same NNID then you get to use that same theme on the Wii U or something similar? : peace:

Could even have exclusive themes for registering certain games via club Nintendo. ;)

(currently at 169, but that includes demos and crappy apps like Youtube that I can get rid of if need be...)

How the hell do you have so many icons? Sorry but that's...

36277278.jpg

He keeps every demo. Even if he has no interest in playing them! Even if he has bought the game.

EVERY... SINGLE... ONE!

It annoys me to no end having to trawl through his complete and utter mess of a menu.

He claims to understand it, a part of me always thinks he's lying.

Anyway, folders are appreciated. Even if I have like 20 icons tops.

Won't be as useful as the folders on my 3DS.

I'll be naming them in the same way I did on the 3DS. I happen to think that was a stroke of genius.

Yay for folders! I do hate empty icons on my home-screen though, so for now I'll just have a folder for NES games, demos and Panorama View (Yes, I actually purchased all the panorama's - and I don't even regret it) and leave the rest of my eShop and retail downloads free on the menu.

As for the UI, I love it, always have, same goes for the Wii and my iPhone. It's so simple which is why it's so great. I hate pissing around flicking to different screens (on my 360), flicking up, down, left right (PS3) - A tiled menu with all your icons is, and always has been for me, unbeatable.

In the future I'll open a restaurant. On the bottom floor, presented as big squares next to each other will be all the different dish's we sell. You enter by going up onto the second floor and looking down through a big glass floor. You click on the glass floor (which is also a TOUCH SCREEN) on the food below that you want and bam - We bring it over to you on cocktail sticks.

Same applies for a future clothes shop where they'll be different square piles of clothes everywhere. I also plan to open a shop which sells only different coloured light cubes. That's my favourite as it will be the easiest to incorporate the tiled icon feel. Obviously, throughout all these shops, the top floor that you are choosing from is the real life version of Wara-Wara plaza. You can try talking to people but they're all a bit simple. "Hey, man" you'll softly say to the kind lady in purple. "I SCORED 10,000 ON ZELDA NES REMIX LEVEL 5-4,BEAT THAT LOL" she screams, with dead, empty eyes whilst jumping up and down.

In the future I'll open a restaurant. On the bottom floor, presented as big squares next to each other will be all the different dish's we sell. You enter by going up onto the second floor and looking down through a big glass floor. You click on the glass floor (which is also a TOUCH SCREEN) on the food below that you want and bam - We bring it over to you on cocktail sticks.

Same applies for a future clothes shop where they'll be different square piles of clothes everywhere. I also plan to open a shop which sells only different coloured light cubes. That's my favourite as it will be the easiest to incorporate the tiled icon feel. Obviously, throughout all these shops, the top floor that you are choosing from is the real life version of Wara-Wara plaza. You can try talking to people but they're all a bit simple. "Hey, man" you'll softly say to the kind lady in purple. "I SCORED 10,000 ON ZELDA NES REMIX LEVEL 5-4,BEAT THAT LOL" she screams, with dead, empty eyes whilst jumping up and down.

10 out of 10! Would read again!

Just organise folders differently. If empty space bothers you, fill it.

Something I would personally like in a couple of my folders would be the ability to have a folder within a folder.. but I can appreciate why they want to keep things simple as they are now.

Wiinception.

(sorry)

Behold!

346arna.jpg

Putting the S.C.G into Sexy G.

curse you Nintendo... am i the only one who has gone on a download frenzy to try and fill up all the newly created folders!!!!!!!!

curse you Nintendo... am i the only one who has gone on a download frenzy to try and fill up all the newly created folders!!!!!!!!

Possibly.. but I am suddenly more interested in filling my vc collection a bit more.

Kinda wish there was GB, GBC, GBA, DS and 3DS titles on vc. Then I could have a whole row of handheld games, nes, snes, n64, GC, Wii as a row of home console games, then the disc, system settings, eshop titles, retail titles and demos as a 3rd row. Also I wish they had a few more colour options for the folders, although I imagine they can be added easily enough

Noticed they change the home screen menu a bit.

Also it now takes 2 clicks of the icons on the touchscreen (the Miiverse/eShop/etc icons) to start them which I'm not a fan of. :/

Noticed they change the home screen menu a bit.

Also it now takes 2 clicks of the icons on the touchscreen (the Miiverse/eShop/etc icons) to start them which I'm not a fan of. :/

The first I noticed, the second I didn't realise it was a change they had made. I suppose an accidental tap takes a few seconds to correct, whereas a double tap is just a change of habit.

Hmm, I had started to manage folders but soon realised how disgusting they look. I cross my fingers that themed icons are coming; NES, SNES folder icons would be ace.

From day one, I've disliked some of the duplication between the Home Menu and main Wii U menu - it's a shame they're not working to reduce the duplication. I can't fathom why they think its a good idea.

Gripes aside, the system feels slightly quicker.

I didn't even realise you could change the colours until I saw these pictures!?

FOLDERS OMG OMG OMG OMG

now to begin organizing! now how should i do this? System folders? retail/VC/WiiUware folders? then alphabetical, release date or genre?

OCD here i come!