NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

When playing VC games on the Wii U (or the Wii-emulator - or whatever it's called - for that matter) can you make them full screen?

If you mean can you get rid of the borders on either side of the screen then the answer is no. You could probably mess around with your TV settings to stretch it out but it would look horrible.

When playing VC games on the Wii U (or the Wii-emulator - or whatever it's called - for that matter) can you make them full screen?

They are already as 'full screen' as they are going to be in most cases, I believe you can alter the ratio for GBA games but short of that you'd just have to mess with your TV settings if you want your VC titles to take up 'more' of the screen but it would effectively be like zooming in if I'm understanding things correctly. : peace:

I would see how you go on the Hard Drive and GamePad front. I did end up getting a hard-drive but only back when I was reviewing games. I generally buy at retail because it's not often the eShop has great deals (and if there are good deals, they're usually on the small file-size indie titles as opposed to full releases) and if you're interested in first party games, with the exception of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (11GB or something!?), Nintendo are good at compressing, so most games will be 3GB or under.

I haven't got a Pro Controller yet, probably good for multiplayer games like Mario Kart (though most my friends are fine with Wiimotes and nunchuks) but I don't have a problem with the GP. I find it quite comfortable, especially if you're just using it as a controller. The only time it seems a bit heavy/cumbersome is if you're playing touch-screen games that require stylus use for an extended period.

And my suggestions:

Only get the NSMB bundle if its a good offer/ you really want the game/ haven't played a previous one as New Super Mario Bros U doesn't bring anything new. Saying that though, if you haven't played a 2D Mario in years, it's a more than decent title.

For me though, Rayman and especially Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze are amazing 2D platformers, DK being one of my favourite of all time. And I was VERY against Retro taking Rare's spot for a long time :p

Mario 3D World is fun, no Galaxy, but decent all the same. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic. And again, Wind Waker just because :p

For a cheap thrill - ZombiU, it's great use of the GamePad and like £8 (in stores or on sale in the eShop). ASS FLAG is also great, though I haven't played the PS360 versions so don't know how it compares. That's also £10ish on the eShop or in most stores.

For multiplayer fun (3 or more) Nintendo Land is awesome (and again, about £10 - £15 in places like CEX or eBay) and Game&Wario has a couple of really fun multiplayer games (though I'd suggest trying to get that for about £15 too as single player is short lived).

So when everybody here went and bought the Mario Kart 8 DLC, did you guys notice that there was a new built-in DLC purchase screen?

It's much nicer than the old way they handled the in-game purchase of DLC. Much faster, no need to exit the game and it even downloads and installs the DLC for you to use right away without even needing to exit the game itself! :)

Yeah, looks nice. :)

But I still had to exit the game for the DLC to appear after purchase. :hmm: You mean you didn't have to? :blank:

Thanks. The New Super Mario Bros. bundle is the only 32 GB console being sold in Canada at the moment, at least at the retailers I've checked, and it's the same $299 that the console was before the bundle, so it would actually be more trouble to track down one that wasn't bundled, not that there's any reason to.

haha okay fair enough then, and like I said it's still decent, I just really hate that series. And at the worst, New Super Mario Bros has a pretty good re-sell price I think, so you could always eBay it away for plenty!

Not like it could really get much worse anyway ;)

Is that even a positive article overall? I see more negativity than positive. It's an underhanded way of bashing the Wii U while pretending to be nice.

Can you please stop being so negative about being positive whilst maybe being negative? Jeez. It's people like you that are making the most awesome console ever fail.

The Final Bosman - talks leaks, primarily the Smash Bros leaks

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/qc6a91/the-final-bosman-the-news-is-ruined

My "most awesome console ever" won't let me play these videos. ;) I usually have to wait til I'm on the PC or it's uploaded to youtube to watch them.

Edit: Nevermind. It's up up youtube. I'll give it a watch now.

After watching it, it's not one of his better episodes. I think the cameraman was near accurate, C-. Too much rambling in the middle about things on other platforms that will never concern us Nintendo owners. Don't talk about the devil that is Kojima. He's right about the future Smash reveal trailers. They were absolutely awesome and have now been tarnished because there's no surprise anymore.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

NINTENDO REVEALS DEMOGRAPHICS OF WII U ESHOP USERS, MALES ACCOUNT FOR 93% AND FEMALES ONLY 7%

Some interesting information has come from Nintendo’s Unite 2014 video which you can watch above. One of the most alarming pieces of information is the male and female gender ratio. Only 7% of eShop users are female while the majority are male at 93%. Whether this is a good indication of the overall gender split on Wii U isn’t clear, but it seems as though Nintendo has struggled to capture female gamers with Wii U.

90+% of Wii U consoles online

70+% of connected users (i.e. 63% overall) visit eShop on a “regular basis. Many of those people are repeat.”

Wii U eShop demographics

0-12 – 1%

13-17 – 5%

18-24 – 33%

25-34 – 46%

35+ – 14%

M/F – 93/7

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/28/nintendo-reveals-demographics-of-wii-u-eshop-users-males-account-for-93-and-females-only-7/

Also there are 80+ games in development using Unity in development for the Wii U eShop. That makes 94% of Wii U owners adults. So much for the kiddy image. You could argue it's parents using their credit cards to buy their kids games but it's still a healthy figure.

Edited by Wii

Iwata lays down the law with DLC on Nintendo Platforms – ‘We will not Deceive with DLC’

Nintendo has started to incorporate DLC into major franchises like Mario Kart 8 and Fire Emblem Awakening. While some people are skeptical about DLC in general, Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata has stated that Nintendo will not screw people over with DLC.

“And one thing Nintendo has determined as a company policy, what we are not going to do is create a full game and then say, ‘let’s hold this back for DLC.’ That’s not our plan. We’re definitely not doing that. It’s an extreme example, but I think there are examples of games where you get that initial purchase — the very core part of the game — and everything else around it is all DLC. However, if you do that I believe customers will have no motivation to go out and buy the retail package to begin with.”

http://playeressence.com/iwata-lays-down-the-law-with-dlc-on-nintendo-platforms-we-will-not-deceive-with-dlc/

:rolleyes:@Serebii you and your stories. "Bart broke my teeth," "The nurses are stealing my money," "This thing on my neck is getting bigger," "Nintendo are holding this back for DLC."

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/28/nintendo-reveals-demographics-of-wii-u-eshop-users-males-account-for-93-and-females-only-7/

Also there are 80+ games in development using Unity in development for the Wii U eShop. That makes 94% of Wii U owners adults. So much for the kiddy image. You could argue it's parents using their credit cards to buy their kids games but it's still a healthy figure.

I wouldn't actually call that healthy. First of all though as you said it could be adults buying for their kids but if you take it just at face value then that shows to me that its only really people who grew up with Nintendo still buying stuff now and they are struggling with the younger generation who will become the ones needed to prop stuff up down the line.

Still though, with it just being eshop percentages and digital purchases being harder for young'uns its not a whole picture at all. I would be interested to see the same kind of age range percentages for just Wii U players, see if it ended up being similar.

Of course it is. Nobody in their right mind would ever put in non-fake eShop NNID details if they were underage (especially since they need to pay a 50p charge on the card to confirm their card details)

Also those demographics would be for the main accounts used to make purchases. It wouldn't account for all of the sub accounts or other Wii U players in the household outside of the person who buys the eShop games, so they are only relevant as far as the actual purchasers of content (and probably also the console) go. There would be a lot more female players than that actually playing the games, even if they're not the ones directly making purchases (asking the main account holder to pay for them, or are using their own card on their account).

Edited by Dcubed

What the frak are you on about? I was saying exactly what Iwata said...

It's pretty clear that he's admitting that you were right by sarcastically saying that you were wrong.

Whats all this talk about credit cards etc? Did they source their demographic data from card details? Wasn't even sure they could do that. Can't watch the video at the moment though, so forgive me if that explains it.

What the frak are you on about? I was saying exactly what Iwata said...

It was a joke about MK8 with a Simpsons reference. Sswwwooooossshh!

And yes my bad. I guess I didn't think it through. But I read Wii U eShop demographics:

0-12 – 1%

13-17 – 5%

18-24 – 33%

25-34 – 46%

35+ – 14%

M/F – 93/7

So are those 6% putting in fake details?

Whats all this talk about credit cards etc? Did they source their demographic data from card details? Wasn't even sure they could do that. Can't watch the video at the moment though, so forgive me if that explains it.

No I'd say they get it from your Mii.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

No I'd say they get it from your Mii.

Then why did you bring up credit cards to rationalise the figures of adults!

Video: Reggie and other NoA employees take on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge