NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

That is how it is worded. Your entire post is stated as if it's fact.

And thus, the problem is identified. You inferred a fact, when it wasn't actually a fact.

Other examples that you might consider facts, based on the lack of 'I think':

Mario Galaxy is awesome

Serebii is a silly sausage

Steak beats pizza

And thus, the problem is identified. You inferred a fact, when it wasn't actually a fact.

Other examples that you might consider facts, based on the lack of 'I think':

Mario Galaxy is awesome

Serebii is a silly sausage

Steak beats pizza

I inferred it because that is how it was written. Please be more concise in the future.

I inferred it because that is how it was written. Please be more concise in the future.

Yes, that was how it was written.

Just as 'Mario Galaxy is awesome' is written as a factual statement owing to the lack of 'I think', yet to anyone with an ounce of sense would it would clearly come across as an opinion.

I should really be going to bed but....

MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

It's like an audience with Sheldon Cooper. :p

"Stated something as an empirical fact." Jesus, spoken like someone who genuinely doesn't understand the difference between objective and subjective statements. Anything that relates to a judgement of creativity is naturally subjective because it refers to something that is measured by an arbitrary standard of taste. Unless you're going to take creativity in strictly denotative terms by which taking a shit is an act of creation. Asking someone to append "in my opinion" to something that by its nature can only be an opinion is something an ill educated thirteen year old would say.

I don't actually know where this thread is, or what is being discussed but I just randomly want to add my (yes) opinion; I love Nintendo games. To me, Nintendo are like the Valve of console software; so many of their designers just have some sort of intuitive design gift that often results in things like Mario Galaxy or Super Metroid. The problem for me is that while the games are often fantastic, buying a Nintendo console is more and more a grit-your-teeth-and-do-it kind of procedure that goes against your better judgement because what you're being sold is often superfluous gimmicks that hold absolutely no gameplay value. I don't want to pay a premium for a second screen when everything I'll be playing on the console could literally and with no concessions be managed with a Gamecube controller.

"Heeeeeeere we gooooo again, here we go again!"

Sunshine a huge step up? If by huge step up you mean the worst main entry mario game in existence sure :)

And although there was a rogue squadron on the n64 (as well as a wave race) the GameCube versions were unbelievable (same with f zero), but for me 3d world and mk are way way way better than sunshine and double dash. But it's all opinions, both console had/have great games, the problem is there isn't enough of them!

Asking someone to append "in my opinion" to something that by its nature can only be an opinion is something an ill educated thirteen year old would say.

@Serebii, 100% this. You don't need to type 'I think' in every sentence to put across an opinion. Given I was talking about something that could never be factually proven, it really goes without saying that you shouldn't be taking it as a fact in the first place.

One of you said quantity, the other said quality...

Either way, it's all very tiresome.

The complete lack of things to talk about regarding the Wii U is an absolute joke.

Even the Nintendo IGN staff seem barely able to cobble enough stuff together to go to work for/put in a podcast, let alone us on a forum.

It's profoundly disappointing but inevitable given the anaemic release schedule. All thats left is to compare the Wii U's seemingly perpetual software drought with the many previous Nintendo software droughts. Riveting stuff.

@Serebii, 100% this. You don't need to type 'I think' in every sentence to put across an opinion. Given I was talking about something that could never be factually proven, it really goes without saying that you shouldn't be taking it as a fact in the first place.

I'm so tired of your constant bleating, as you love PS4 so much and clearly detest everything Nintendo why don't you do everybody a favour and fuck off to the PS4 thread and talk about how great Sony are in there, where everybody who wants to discuss the Wii U doesn't have read it.

I'm so tired of your constant bleating, as you love PS4 so much and clearly detest everything Nintendo why don't you do everybody a favour and fuck off to the PS4 thread and talk about how great Sony are in there, where everybody who wants to discuss the Wii U doesn't have read it.

Very harsh, dude.

Sheikah has a Wii U, so he clearly doesn't detest everything Nintendo. He has every right to be on these boards and express his opinion. Once again, there is an ignore button if you don't wish to read people's posts. Why people continue to forget or just not use this is beyond me. It's there for a reason. I've used it in the past and it made for much better reading.

there is an ignore button if you don't wish to read people's posts. Why people continue to forget or just not use this is beyond me. It's there for a reason. I've used it in the past and it made for much better reading.

Amen.

On the "beyond me" point - I enjoy reading alternative view points and exploring those, which means responding to posts. Once you are engaged in a conversation, especially once it has gotten heated, it can take a while to take a step back and realise it is time to hit that ignore button.

Edited by Pestneb

We should get @Serebii and @Sheikah drunk and lock them in a room with some mood music, see if we can get them to finally put an end to this and fulfil this sexual tension that's been going on

Really rather sad that someone on these forms talks to people in such an immature way. I'm honestly quite shocked that you have a son.

I was quite shocked to find out he wasn't a ferret.

I think part of the problem is power, whilst a lot of what we saw on GameCube came from an existing franchise (Wind Waker and Prime) or was a direct sequel (Sunshine), they were all different to what we'd experienced before and I think that's because, before the GameCube, these games literally would not have been possible. Perhaps Sunshine could have been done on N64 at a push, though those levels were pretty big so it might have been scaled back a bit, but it was clear that everything was bigger and better than the N64.

You really don't get that with any of the new Wii U titles. They're all just HD versions of what has been done, now countless times, on the GameCube and Wii. The new upcoming Zelda is the first Nintendo game in a very long time that seems to be doing things differently and really getting people excited and that's because it will be open world - something that wouldn't have been possible on previous (Nintendo) consoles. If Nintendo had have ditched the GamePad and gone for more power, I think it would have given Nintendo so much more freedom to create exciting new worlds that we all really want.

Edited by Josh64

I've heard that Nintendo's repair service offers a 1st class service.

maybe its the bottle of red but this just killed me, post of the week. too good.

re; gamepad comfort i think its the weight/size combined and lack of good handle points. if youre gonna be doing some heavy stylus work(ie art academy as someone mentioned), that leaves only one hand with which to hold the pad unless youre one a level surface/table. i recall early on doing something stylus heavy and holding it by the left 'handle' - the weight and length of that just exerts too much torque/force upon a single hand to avoid discomfort.

speaking if gamepad ease, i currently type from my wii u pad(hence this reading like internet niob) - could definitely do with a second stylus to speed up typing(using a pen+stylus atm), tried with just fingers but too fat for the screen really. Single stylus typing just feels really slow psychologically compared to keyboard typing for me though.

No. I'm just not countering other things because, as you say, it's opinion and I don't jump on people for their opinions unless they're being utterly ridiculous.

You didn't state an opinion, you stated something as an empirical fact, stating that there is no creativity remaining in Nintendo, just a sequel culture. That was not given as an opinion, you were stating that as a fact, and that is why I countered it, because it is not a fact.

Whilst I have you on my ignore list, this is such a sweet post to see from you. I might bookmark it, because given previous outings I can certainly see it being heavily relevant to your very own conduct at some point. Pots and kettles indeed :D

Just to let you know - 'describes' 'mostly' and 'very little' imply nothing 100% at all. I would hardly take anything expressed in such a manner as a hard 'fact'. All are vague of an extent.

To me, Nintendo are like the Valve of console software; so many of their designers just have some sort of intuitive design gift that often results in things like Mario Galaxy or Super Metroid.a

Still for me the best valve like thing Ninty could do is to imitate steam and go down the third party digital download route with good/ cheaper prices and flash sales. the downside is they designed the console wuth such small storage but a HD deal with a manufacturer might be able to rectify that.

Ofc before that they also need a better online/purchase system as illustrated by blade's case, but i really think this should be a priority to work towards.

Sunshine a huge step up? If by huge step up you mean the worst main entry mario game in existence sure :)

Are we talking about the NSMB/U series again?? ;)

Ofc I jest. However I havent really purchased either NSMBU, NSLU, nor the original NSMBWii. I did have NSMB, but the latter releases seemed good but didnt appeal enough with difference(for me) for the price. I *did* have sunshine however, but i was younger then. I wonder which, if any, of them I'd get in the current times at my current age/situation. The fact I had sunshine over the others does make me think, however. It was no 64, and the blue coins, linearity and story let it down, but i found a lot of the rest of it really brought it up too(fludd, red coins, yoshi appearance, soundtrack, overarching approach, others ive forgotten too probs)

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Ha! I don't close the nsmb as main entry Marios :) I enjoy them a lot, except nsmb2 on the 3ds, rubbish!

I asked this earlier but got no reply. What's wrong with the forums and website? I don't know about ye but I'm seeing a very stripped back, bare bones site. At least it's working. Earlier I was told it was in another castle with no promise of cake.

I asked this earlier but got no reply. What's wrong with the forums and website? I don't know about ye but I'm seeing a very stripped back, bare bones site. At least it's working. Earlier I was told it was in another castle with no promise of cake.

No cake?? :shakehead

It's funny, having a PS4 now makes me even more angry that Nintendo just can't make a decent console and skip features that were standard last generation... and yet at the same time it makes me appreciate that Nintendo make some damn fine games!

I'm playing The Last of Us, bear in mind in not far in, but it feels very meh so far, going for style over substance. It just doesn't feel like a patch on a Zelda, 3D Mario or Metroid.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've finished it but as much as I've played so far doesn't feel as good as the same amount of time into other games.

It's funny, having a PS4 now makes me even more angry that Nintendo just can't make a decent console and skip features that were standard last generation... and yet at the same time it makes me appreciate that Nintendo make some damn fine games!

I'm playing The Last of Us, bear in mind in not far in, but it feels very meh so far, going for style over substance. It just doesn't feel like a patch on a Zelda, 3D Mario or Metroid.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've finished it but as much as I've played so far doesn't feel as good as the same amount of time into other games.

That's funny brah, I feel the exact opposite. Literally. :D

I'm loving The Last of Us and I'm glad I'm finally playing a game with substance. Storyline, dialogue, developed characters, emotion, frailties, strength. I didn't get any of that in the last Zelda game and definitely have never got them in any Mario game. Metroid I'll let off because that's something different entirely (and because it represents the very best that Nintendo can do).

Yep, this is what happend to me when I got the ps4, it made me realise how good Nintendo actually are in some ways. I still think the UI is infinitely better than ps4, but not as quick. It's small, discreet, silent... The ps4 this ugly, huge, incredibly loud thing.

And the games there is no comparison. Last of us I do actually like, but have it on the ps3, same with tomb raider, most of the indies are just ps3 indies... Infamous is the only big game for it and I'm pretty disappointed in that, it's fun to play, but the writing and cut scenes are almost laughably bad, it staggers me people haven't ripped into it... Last of us on the ps3 (also playing through) is a thousand times better and it's on old tech. The games will come, like with the ps3, and it'll have a lot of classics and I can't wait. But I think the ps4's popularity shows it really is about image!

It's obviously all about individual tastes, but software wise it's not even close as things stand.