NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

For what it's worth, I still feel like the online in Mario Kart 8 is fantastic even though it's slightly lacking and could do with a few tweaks but once you're in a race all of the negativity disappears as the game plays like a dream. : peace:

Almost all negativity, feels a little soulless without voice-chat.

I still find it enjoyable but I do think that there's a middle-ground... let us have voice chat during private games in addition to the lobbies, they could patch it in during E3 even.

At least that would reduce the likelihood of instances where random people end up complaining about certain instances where person 'A' whinges to Nintendo that person 'B' called them an 'Effing Twunt' for knocking them off the course with a Starman power-up or something similar. :heh:

I have so much fun on Mario Kart 8's online. Sorry, but I do. I feel it's masterful. I haven't spent this much time online on a Nintendo game outside of Pokémon ever.

I'm having fun when it works, but I am getting quite a few communication errors now. Its happening a lot more then it was a week ago.

Seriously, anyone saying Nintendo is lacking online, go play Mario Golf, or Pokémon X/Y etc. Even Mario Kart 8, while having a couple of flaws with online, is fantastic online.

God, I am so sick of the rampant negativity here, and how it snowballs out of control.

Yes, some games don't have online? So what. They don't necessarily need it and would have added to development time. I maintain NintendoLand is designed specifically not to have online and it wouldn't work well on it

Also, yes the Wii U games sometimes disconnect online. That also happens on other platforms. If you're telling me that you have never had a connection error while playing CoD or Halo or GTA then you're a damned liar

I've played every one of those Nintendo games you mentioned and they are great in some areas but sorely lacking in others. They manage to make some good game modes but the main issue is the lack of communication.

A lot of the time you can't access your friends list. When you are playing online on the Wii U the home button is locked out. You then have to rely on the in-game friend list to see who is online. If a friend is playing another game and you would like to invite them to the game you are playing, it's simply not an option.

Sending invites also doesn't work on the Wii U. Even if you could access your friends list you have no option to actually send them an invite anyway.

Having an OS party chat feature could get around some of these problems, which is why many people have been calling for it since day one. I've said before, I think it's crazy that the Vita, a handheld, has this feature yet a home console doesn't.

In terms of Mario Kart, yes you can join a friend but what if they disconnect? Or want to join another lobby? What game type would they like to play? You have no way on knowing what is actually going on due to the lack of communication.

Mario Kart is fun online, at least to a certain degree, but it's so bare bones it's laughable. For me it's anything but a masterful. When I hop between playing an online game on the One and then back on the Wii U you instantly see how bare bones the game and the system are.

I do agree that disconnects happen on other platforms but the key difference there is that you are sitting in a party with your mates, having a laugh and its very easy to setup another game very quickly.

Multiplayer gaming is very much about socializing, whether this is locally or online. Nintendo have somehow made the online experience very hollow and cold.

I would like to think Nintendo would patch stuff into their OS and games but if they could then why hasn't it happened yet?

Maybe if they had valid points...

Edit: I apologise, that was rather short of me. However, even though there are a couple of valid points, the amount of vapid negativity and bitching here is getting out of hand again.

Watch-Out-We-Got-A-Badass-Over-Here-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-243.gif

What did you say

Sorry, Serebii, but Goron is right on this one. You're not addressing their points and a lot of them are valid. Just because you don't agree with what a lot of people are saying, doesn't mean it isn't valid. The fact that there are multiple people all saying the exact same thing should tell you that there are issues.

Edit: I apologise, that was rather short of me. However, even though there are a couple of valid points, the amount of vapid negativity and bitching here is getting out of hand again.

Deal with it.

Feels a little souless when I can't even game with friends...

When Nintendo has barely made any leaps in the last few years when it comes to online, in spite of promises to the contrary, it's no wonder people are getting frustrated. Things are getting better, but it's at a noticeably slower rate than elsewhere and it started in a worse position to begin with.

Also it's subjective, but I think most of what is being said isn't negative but rather complaints voiced out of disappointment. When a company promised that online is the air they breath and then exclude many elements that are now at standard, some people ate bound to feel disappointed.

Hopefully Nintendo will exceed all promises and start delivering great online. We shall see what this week brings.

Essentially. That's what I found when playing online. I knew I was playing with a friend, but I couldn't speak to them. It was like using Skype, but with no microphone or keyboard.

I think you guys seriously downplay the strides Nintendo HAVE made.

I think you guys seriously downplay the strides Nintendo HAVE made.

And I think you give them too much credit.

They can have the greatest options in the world when it comes to their online games ( which they don't ) but they are worth nothing if you can't communicate with people.

Did the Wii have party chat? No.

Did the Wii have message notifications? No.

Does the Wii U have these things? No.

That's practically 10 years where these features have been missing from Nintendos home systems. The PS3 missed the boat on the party chat thing and fans called them on it. What did they do? They added it to the PS4 and Vita. Microsoft botched the party system with the One launch. What did they do? Fixed it in an update a few months later.

It comes back to them just flat out not listening to what fans are calling for and more importantly not having someone on the PR side of things to ask why these things continue to be an issue for them.

I respect what they have done with Miiverse ( still needs improving in my eyes ) but this doesn't bring anything to the table in terms of playing with friends or actually communicating with them to get a game going.

I don't think anyone has any misconceptions about what Nintendo has achieved, but rather different expectations about what Nintendo should or could have done.

Calling for them to do better isn't negative. Nobody demands better from people they hate, they demand better from people they care about. I want Nintendo to offer better online because I want Nintendo to do better financially and in the eyes of gamers.

There definitely has been improvements but at times it feels like more like incremental steps then strides. And sometimes a step back from from some things they have done right in the past.

There is also a weird disjointed feeling on how Nintendo handle Online gaming from game to game.

Right, I am NOT a developer. I don't profess to know everything about how an online system should work. But regarding Mario Kart - how hard would this be:

You sign into the online. You go to your friend list. It shows people in four tiers:

1. At the top, those online and in a race.

2. Underneath, those online but not in a race.

3. Those playing the game but not in the online mode.

4. All others, ie those not playing Mario Kart at that moment in time, in the fourth tier.

When someone new starts playing Mario Kart, you get a notification in the top left - Kav82 is playing Mario Kart, if they come online you get a notification in another colour, Kav82 is playing Mario Kart Online.

You can send invites to those playing the game to join you online, then you can search a game together as a group.

This way, you can see who is playing, send them an invite and see what they are up to. Those who wish to can opt to turn notifications off. When you are in a lobby or a race you can chat to your friends.

I came up with that system off the top of my head. If I can come up with that in 30 seconds, surely Nintendo can do better in six bloody years???

Am I being crazy? Am I missing something? I'm not asking for anything wildly out of the box here, just a system that works and is an improvement on the Wii version.

Nintendo are barely up to the standard of the original launch of Xbox Live in 2002.

They were clearly talking rubbish when they were promising the world but I'm amazed how many people actually bought into it. You only had to look at the 3DS to see how much further they had progressed (i.e. not that much) so to suddenly expect everything to change with their new console seemed a little naive. We'd been fed the same hyperbole when it came to the Wii and the grand ambition of WiiConnect24 which equated to little more than messages from Nintendo.

But I don't really care too much. I had an idea of what to expect based upon past performance, talk is cheap after all, and I knew what I was letting myself in for. Doesn't make it any better but I have no intention of getting annoyed. As long as Smash works with minimal lag, then I'm happy to do the whole messaging thing on here with Sprout, Fused, Dud and the boys like in the old days if need be.

In better news, I just managed to pick up Sonic Lost World for £20 in HMV - it was the Deadly Six Edition too made better by the fact I had some vouchers from work to get it down the £10. Just need for Nintendo to send me my Gamepad back. I was eyeing up Mario 3D World in Tesco too for £40, given it's the going rate online, but I passed... for now.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I came up with that system off the top of my head. If I can come up with that in 30 seconds, surely Nintendo can do better in six bloody years???

They were too busy working out how to F-Zeroify it so they could skip making a new F-Zero. :indeed:

I was doing voice chat on Pokémon Diamond, with a headset, as soon as it released on DS. I thought things were meant to kick on from there but all they've done is take very tentative steps with Wii Speak - which, in fairness, wasn't terrible in Animal Crossing... until the times @Katie's parakeets went buck mad...! The feedback loop. :shakehead

Still, there's Miiverse. Progress, right!?

Nobody is forcing you to read it.

Right, I am NOT a developer. I don't profess to know everything about how an online system should work. But regarding Mario Kart - how hard would this be:

You sign into the online. You go to your friend list. It shows people in four tiers:

1. At the top, those online and in a race.

2. Underneath, those online but not in a race.

3. Those playing the game but not in the online mode.

4. All others, ie those not playing Mario Kart at that moment in time, in the fourth tier.

When someone new starts playing Mario Kart, you get a notification in the top left - Kav82 is playing Mario Kart, if they come online you get a notification in another colour, Kav82 is playing Mario Kart Online.

You can send invites to those playing the game to join you online, then you can search a game together as a group.

This way, you can see who is playing, send them an invite and see what they are up to. Those who wish to can opt to turn notifications off. When you are in a lobby or a race you can chat to your friends.

Am I being crazy? Am I missing something? I'm not asking for anything wildly out of the box here, just a system that works and is an improvement on the Wii version.

No not being crazy. It's not like we are asking for voice chat or owt is it!?

I've played every one of those Nintendo games you mentioned and they are great in some areas but sorely lacking in others. They manage to make some good game modes but the main issue is the lack of communication.

What was exactly wrong with the online in X/Y?

Though I never used it, you can voice chat with friends in battles, right? and adding a friend was as simple as battling a stranger twice.

I thought that combination of simplicity yet essential features was a very advanced Nintendo offering.

Crazy/hilarious/sad, isn't it? They are so far behind it really does baffle me. What's worse is that they clearly think what they are doing is more than adequate.

Yes and by buying Mario Kart 8, while yes good it's to see the game do well but you're telling them that you're fine with the way online is and giving them no encouragement or incentive to change their ways. I want them to learn and the only way that's going to happen it seems is to drag them by the hair, kicking and screaming to get with the times. By that I mean hit them where it hurts, their pocket. Ye have given them a big thumbs up.

MARIO-THUMBS-UP-281x300.jpg

So when Smash is gimped, you'll know why. The only hope is that Sakurai won't allow that to happen.

I take to miiverse and twitter (mainly twitter) to tell them they're crap.

What was exactly wrong with the online in X/Y?

Though I never used it, you can voice chat with friends in battles, right? and adding a friend was as simple as battling a stranger twice.

I thought that combination of simplicity yet essential features was a very advanced Nintendo offering.

I'll give you that. Pokemon did very well in terms of online play. How much of that is down to Nintendo though and not Game Freak? If the features were done by Nintendo why aren't such features not as standard across the board? It's like they cherry pick what they want to do on a game by game basis.

Yes and by buying Mario Kart 8, while yes good it's to see the game do well but you're telling them that you're fine with the way online is and giving them no encouragement or incentive to change their ways. I want them to learn and the only way that's going to happen it seems is to drag them by the hair, kicking and screaming to get with the times. By that I mean hit them where it hurts, their pocket. Ye have given them a big thumbs up.

MARIO-THUMBS-UP-281x300.jpg

So when Smash is gimped, you'll know why. The only hope is that Sakurai won't allow that to happen.

Yeah, me not buying Nintendo games ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Saying that, I did stand my ground for Wii Sports Club once I found out I couldn't even set up a friends match.

Luckily ( or not depending how you look at it ) most Nintendo games are single player. Their online offerings are few and far between but when they do appear they frustrate the hell out of me.

Do you even get a response though?

Since being appointed as the Xbox boss Phil Spencer has done a great job of answering people's questions and getting fans excited for E3. Yoshida also does this for Sony. This is the kind of thing you want to see. Real people interacting with the community and reassuring fans.

They don't listen. I've wrote to them before. You're wasting your time. Got an automated response each time and when it is from a person it might as well be automated because it's so vague and impersonal. I could swear it's just an automated response with a name tagged on. Remember when Reggie was asked about "Operation Rainfall"? He said they don't pay any attention to stuff like petitions or its ilk.

I'll give you that. Pokemon did very well in terms of online play. How much of that is down to Nintendo though and not Game Freak? If the features were done by Nintendo why aren't such features not as standard across the board? It's like they cherry pick what they want to do on a game by game basis.

Lmao, you dont have to "give me anything" my good sir.

But what the above kind of highlights to me is the over-reaction. X/Y is a fine example of the online features you want, but yet you lump with everything else as lacking in some way or form before actually thinking about it. Really, nothing personal, but I think this is what Serebii and others - including myself - are sort of sensitive to.

I understand the frustrations, yet Issues with online can be for a plethora of other reasons. But it seems very frantic from mass approval and enjoyment of MK8 to this, only a week later.

No doubt there will be patches, but surely they have a lot on their plate with E3 this week, to work on a patch just one week after release?

I believe most people knew the online in MK8 wasn't complete anyway, yet people still chose to buy it... and then complain about it...

Edited by King_V

Oh I know they don't listen, they're shit. It just makes me feel a little better.