NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Really? I find this bizarre :) My friends family did this and I always though it it was weird. I have everything plugged in and everything on standby. My ps3, haven't touched it in about a year, still on stand by (that's probably one case I should unplug at the wall, but I always plan to play it!)

To be fair, I'm the same as Kav. Every night I power everything down and then power it back up when I wake up.

The last 10. Would be good to decide yourself, I may have gone in settings last, but I never want to go there that often. Nt a big deal though.

Bah! I would have liked the option to customise it. :(

Well, they'll probably need to redo that test now that the Wii U actually does something in standby now.

Still, even if it was increased by 1000%, running it for an entire year would cost less than £0.01, while the Xbox One would cost around £26.47

It did this stuff in standby anyway. The test was conducted earlier this year and it has been able to download and install game updates ever since the first major system update back in early 2013 (what this new update does is that it allows the Wii U to install System Updates for you - before it would just download them and wait for you to tell it to install it, now it does it for you)

So yeah, it consumes just 0.2 watts even when downloading and installing updates. Crazy!

Really? I find this bizarre :) My friends family did this and I always though it it was weird. I have everything plugged in and everything on standby. My ps3, haven't touched it in about a year, still on stand by (that's probably one case I should unplug at the wall, but I always plan to play it!)

See while I personally try and ensure that things that don't need constant standby power get turned off at the plug, my living room setup requires that everything need be on standby at all times because I use a Logitech Harmony remote and my setup would be completely broken if all of my living room devices weren't on constant standby... (and getting to my plug sockets in my living room is... prohibitively difficult...)

Edited by Dcubed

Good f###ing God above, that was painful. Paint dries quicker than that update. Maybe because it went from 4.1 to 5.0 but still. At least it's done now. Took at least 30 minutes all told. Was it that long for everyone else?

It did this stuff in standby anyway.

It did? I have no idea. I don't recall seeing anything on the Wii U menu indicating such things happening. I guess the lack of a notification light makes it seem like it does less than the Wii.

Still, the quick boot thing will likely add to the power usage.

Good f###ing God above, that was painful. Paint dries quicker than that update. Maybe because it went from 4.1 to 5.0 but still. At least it's done now. Took at least 30 minutes all told. Was it that long for everyone else?

No. It took 10 minutes to download and 5 minutes to update for me

It did? I have no idea. I don't recall seeing anything on the Wii U menu indicating such things happening. I guess the lack of a notification light makes it seem like it does less than the Wii.

Not likely. From what I can tell, the Quick Boot stuff is in the GamePad firmware like the TV remote feature. It receives the game data in standby mode, though, and when the Wii U is connected. When you activate it, it turns the Wii U on and runs the startup in the background while you're in the quick start menu.

Do you HAVE to use the Gamepad to use the quick start up? I installed the thing and pushed the power button on the Wii U and it turned on like normal.

Do you HAVE to use the Gamepad to use the quick start up? I installed the thing and pushed the power button on the Wii U and it turned on like normal.

Yes. It's in the GamePad firmware like the TV Remote.

Love the update..took me 2 mins to download and another minute or two to install.

God, it's so much better than it was at launch.

mine took a lot longer to download, but I'm willing to blame ISP for that, even on my computer the internet has been shockingly bad recently.

Hopefully it'll be behaving itself on Thursday!

Love the update..took me 2 mins to download and another minute or two to install.

God, it's so much better than it was at launch.

Yep, the launch OS was a mess. I was hoping that when you're in the browser that the disc drive would shut down. Some day, maybe.

Yeah I have everything on standby too. Everything is downloaded to my Wii U before I switch it on. Can't be arsed keep switching things off at the plug when there is no need.

Batman delayed to next year. Quantum Break delayed to next year. The Order delayed to next year. I'll tell you what, if Nintendo do get the likes of Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, X and Yoshi out for the rest of the year then they could clean house due to the lack of opposition. :D

Well, they'll probably need to redo that test now that the Wii U actually does something in standby now.

Still, even if it was increased by 1000%, running it for an entire year would cost less than £0.01, while the Xbox One would cost around £26.47

Cmon now, that's some heavy exaggeration on the running cost! 24/7 at 2W would be like...17-18 units. Still a rather paltry £4 or so, if even that. That's actually quite mad to think, really.

Sounds like the new update's being well recieved anyway, will have to actually turn my Wii U on next time I'm home and check it out - perfect timing for MK8!

Edited by Rummy

I've reached the stage when I start googling around checking prices. It won't be long now before I fold...

Actually it won't because it is being handled via the Gamepad's own internal hardware itself. What is basically happening is that the Gamepad itself is keeping a record of your most recent software that you've used and after you select the game/app you want to open and the user Mii, it sends a signal to the Wii U to tell it to turn on and bypass the WaraWara Plaza and Wii U Menu loading and instead just go straight into the chosen game.

People forget that the Gamepad itself does actually contain a low power ARM CPU of its own... It's just that Nintendo are actually finally making use of it with the Quick Start menu for something other than decoding the Wii U video stream, the TV remote functions or transmitting button/touch/motion/NFC etc inputs to the console :)

Batman delayed to next year. Quantum Break delayed to next year. The Order delayed to next year. I'll tell you what, if Nintendo do get the likes of Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, X and Yoshi out for the rest of the year then they could clean house due to the lack of opposition. :D

Yeah it's crazy! It's almost like the entire industry is going on vacation till next year. 2014 is basically getting delayed till 2015 across the board!

Edited by Dcubed

I guess Nintendo aren't the only ones struggling with HD development :p

Yeah it's crazy! It's almost like the entire industry is going on vacation till next year. 2014 is basically getting delayed till 2015 across the board!

They've probably realised you don't need software for the PS4 and XBone to sell, so they can just sit back and watch the user-base increase first. :heh:

The ps4 and (to a lesser extent) the ones software is borderline abysmal in my opinion. A year in what will the ps4 actually have? Lots of last gen games, and a few new games, with only Infamous and potentially Driveclub (if that's your thing) being anything close to great. Yet it's selling. Marketing and psychology are so so important...

But yeah. Nintendo really need to take advantage of this, release as much as possible!

The ps4 and (to a lesser extent) the ones software is borderline abysmal in my opinion. A year in what will the ps4 actually have? Lots of last gen games, and a few new games, with only Infamous and potentially Driveclub (if that's your thing) being anything close to great. Yet it's selling. Marketing and psychology are so so important...

But yeah. Nintendo really need to take advantage of this, release as much as possible!

Yet Nintendo's wasn't as bad last year and everyone was calling for Iwata to be fired.

Fascinating how things work.

Though, in fairness, we should wait until after E3 to judge the PS4 and Xbox One's lineups for the year...and the Wii U's, for that matter.

one question have we gotten Folders?

Don't be silly.

[MUSIC][/MUSIC]

one question have we gotten Folders?

No. Bad huh!

I'm not slagging those systems off in any way, but when games such as FIFA/COD/AC sell so much, is it any wonder devs put their titles back? It's like the Nintendo effect. Most developers don't want to go up against the AAA content. If the game ends up being better it's good for the gamers at the end of the day.

There seems like a lot of ports on the PS4/XBone though. Saddest thing is that their originals are on Sony/MS's prior consoles but they don't appear on the Wii or WiiU. This industry is stupid sometimes. Tomb Raider for example!

:wtf:

The ps4 and (to a lesser extent) the ones software is borderline abysmal in my opinion. A year in what will the ps4 actually have?
Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Destiny

LEGO Batman 3

The Crew

Alien Isolation

Driveclub

Shadow of Mordor

Evolve

The Evil Within

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Far Cry 4

Elder Scrolls Online

Rime

Assassins Creed Unity

More Indie games than you can shake a stick at. Transistor has just come out...

(And that's not including The Last of Us, Metro Redux, potentially the Mass Effect Trilogy)

I know it's fun to have a popshot at the competition, but that's a good line-up, with plenty of games waiting in 2015 (always nice to know what games are on the horizon).

Edited by Retro_Link

Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Destiny

LEGO Batman 3

The Crew

Alien Isolation

Driveclub

Shadow of Mordor

Evolve

The Evil Within

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Elder Scrolls Online

Rime

Assassins Creed Unity

More Indie games than you can shake a stick at. Transistor has just come out...

(And that's not including The Last of Us, Metro Redux, potentially the Mass Effect Trilogy)

I know it's fun to have a popshot at the competition, but that's potentially more games than the Wii U will see this year.

The amount of pop shots taken at the Wii U, why not sling one back eh ;)

Lots of multi platform titles (which the Wii U probably won't see) so Nintendo need to announce some more exclusives coming this year at e3 to really capitalise on the MK momentum.

The amount of pop shots taken at the Wii U, why not sling one back eh ;)
Oh I'm fine with that, so long as it's an informed one! :p