NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

You say that, but a lot of people are expecting focus on Mario Kart & Tomodachi Collection

By a lot, we know you mean like 0.1% of the gaming population. No need to exaggerate :heh:

Although, if we ever do see some Mario Kart DLC they'll show it then I reckon.

By a lot, we know you mean like 0.1% of the gaming population. No need to exaggerate :heh:

Although, if we ever do see some Mario Kart DLC they'll show it then I reckon.

Ok, it's a vocal minority, but they're always the loudest :p

Ok, it's a vocal minority, but they're always the loudest :p

They are only as loud as you decide.

You can always, y'know, 'not' listen to them?

New Wii U 5.0.0 update out now, including;

A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users press the GamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu

Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu

Changes to Standby Functions: System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby Changes to the Wii U Menu: The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U Menu The design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screen

Changes to System Settings: Quick Start Menu options have been added to Power Settings

Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu options Changes to the HOME Menu A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME Menu Improvements to system stability and usability: Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-u-update-version-5-0-0-out-now-adds-quick-start-menu-and-more/#more-161612

The Wii U Gamepad alert notification system sounds like a nice idea. Now, Nintendo, allow us users to message each other, so we can invite, etc.

Edited by londragon

New Wii U 5.0.0 update out now, including;

A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users press the GamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu

Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu

Changes to Standby Functions: System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby Changes to the Wii U Menu: The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U Menu The design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screen

Changes to System Settings: Quick Start Menu options have been added to Power Settings

Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu options Changes to the HOME Menu A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME Menu Improvements to system stability and usability: Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-u-update-version-5-0-0-out-now-adds-quick-start-menu-and-more/#more-161612

The Wii U Gamepad alert notification system sounds like a nice idea. Now, Nintendo, allow us users to message each other, so we can invite, etc.

Downloading now.

Nice! This has landed earlier than expected. Nintendo are firing on all cylinders at the moment.

I got excited about the notifications as I thought it could be used when people sent you messages but sadly it just seems like some sort of advertising notifications from Nintendo. Good idea but not what I was hoping for. :(

Need to have standby functions on to have quick start work. A conundrum. I like to turn standby functions off because my room gets quite warm and dusty quickly and don't want the Wii U to overheat, but I want superfast speed.

Conundrum

Edit: It's so fast, slick and beautiful. Decision made.

Edited by Serebii

I just turned on my Gamepad and went to playing Advance Wars in-game in less than 25 seconds... (and that's from USB storage, so that'll slow things down because the Wii U has to wait for the HDD to wake up - loading up the Internet Browser from the Quick Start menu takes around 22 seconds, so that's probably more accurate)

Yeah, I like this thing :D

Edited by Dcubed

Wow Quick start is so fast!

Need to have standby functions on to have quick start work. A conundrum. I like to turn standby functions off because my room gets quite warm and dusty quickly and don't want the Wii U to overheat, but I want superfast speed.

Conundrum

Edit: It's so fast, slick and beautiful. Decision made.

I was going to post pretty much the same thing, i want quick start on because its a huge improvement to the console but I don't want standby functions on at all

Wow Quick start is so fast!

I was going to post pretty much the same thing, i want quick start on because its a huge improvement to the console but I don't want standby functions on at all

If it's of any use to you...

AtCQeKP.png

Wii U uses a pathetically small 0.2 watts while on standby. That's far less than any other console (current or last gen, fat or slim), even when downloading and installing stuff in the background while it's turned off. It's nothing short of black magic! :o

Edited by Dcubed

It's a shame that you need to enable standby to make use of the quick start. I also never leave my Wii U on standby. :hmm:

I got excited about the notifications as I thought it could be used when people sent you messages but sadly it just seems like some sort of advertising notifications from Nintendo. Good idea but not what I was hoping for. :(
That would've been amazing.

Imagine being able to receive notifications from friends on the GamePad screen, even when your Wii U is off! :awesome:

If it's of any use to you...

AtCQeKP.png

Wii U uses a pathetically small 0.2 watts while on standby. That's less than any other console, even when . downloading and installing stuff while it's turned off. It's nothing short of black magic! :o

Yeah, it's definitely not the power consumption that stops me from using it, more the fact that there's just no point to leaving the system in standby.

If Nintendo allowed for friend notifications in standby, then that would be a different story and I'd enable it straight away. ;)

I just turned on my Gamepad and went to playing Advance Wars in-game in less than 25 seconds... (and that's from USB storage, so that'll slow things down because the Wii U has to wait for the HDD to wake up - loading up the Internet Browser from the Quick Start menu takes around 22 seconds, so that's probably more accurate)

Yeah, I like this thing :D

It's crazy fast! I managed to have a quick go before heading off to work and couldn't believe the boot up time. The home button menu is also super fast now.

I like the idea of the notifications. I'm assuming this will be used next week to advertise the various shows Nintendo will be putting on. I wonder if they will use it to advertise sales on the eShop and new releases?

It's nuts, just yesterday afternoon I was listening to the latest episode of NWR and one of the reader questions was whether Nintendo need to get rid of the Plaza. The guys on the show said Nintendo need to put something more useful on a start up screen and the next day this notification feature arrives. :D

It's a shame that you need to enable standby to make use of the quick start. I also never leave my Wii U on standby. :hmm:

That would've been amazing.

Imagine being able to receive notifications from friends on the GamePad screen, even when your Wii U is off! :awesome:

Yeah, it's definitely not the power consumption that stops me from using it, more the fact that there's just no point to leaving the system in standby.

If Nintendo allowed for friend notifications in standby, then that would be a different story and I'd enable it straight away. ;)

You do realise that it actually downloads and installs game and system updates in the background while the console is turned off and in standby don't you?

I can't see why anyone would ever not turn standby on (unless you were really concerned about the power consumption). It's awesome! A million miles away from the constant bombardment of updates that you get on machines like the PS3 (ugh... Suddenly getting flashbacks to trying to play Little Big Planet again :shakehead )

I literally turn my Wii U on and I already have an update for Pikmin 3 downloaded and installed for me. I go to play the game and OOH! Sudden surprise update with Stylus controls added out of nowhere? AWESOME! :D

It also downloads free software for you in the background while it is turned off and in standby too. I actually got Wii Sports Club downloaded to my system for me without me even having to go to the eShop. I just turned on my console and it was already there, sitting on the menu and waiting for me to play :)

It's crazy fast! I managed to have a quick go before heading off to work and couldn't believe the boot up time. The home button menu is also super fast now.

I like the idea of the notifications. I'm assuming this will be used next week to advertise the various shows Nintendo will be putting on. I wonder if they will use it to advertise sales on the eShop and new releases?

It's nuts, just yesterday afternoon I was listening to the latest episode of NWR and one of the reader questions was whether Nintendo need to get rid of the Plaza. The guys on the show said Nintendo need to put something more useful on a start up screen and the next day this notification feature arrives. :D

Yeah it's brilliant! A shame that it has taken this long to add it in though. I like the Warawara Plaza, but it does greatly slow down the boot up process...

I do hope that they add the ability to look at your Miiverse notifications and messages via the quick start menu eventually too (make it so that you can write text replies as well and just have the console upload it to Miiverse in the background once you quit the Quick Start menu - either by turning off the Gamepad or by opening up a game/Wii U menu).

Edited by Dcubed

It is brilliant, but not message notifications or folders is absolutely criminal :) Surely that's the Ernest step though!

It is brilliant, but not message notifications or folders is absolutely criminal :) Surely that's the Ernest step though!

Spot on. I need my folders something FIERCE! I'm already up to 9 pages worth of downloaded stuff and I'm getting really sick of having to scroll through all of those screens!

My WiiU is never on standby, it always gets turned off at the plug... I always turn off my stuff at the plug. This won't change considering I don't have my WiiU connected to the internet at all times. I use a wired connection but the wire isn't actually plugged in until I look to put the WiiU on.

You do realise that it actually downloads and installs game and system updates in the background while the console is turned off and in standby don't you?
Yeah, and that kind of stuff is pretty cool. I dunno, think I've just been put off with Wii Connect 24 and SpotPass on 3DS, both of which never seemed to be worth leaving the system on standby for. ::shrug:

I keep seeing the light go orange meaning standby mode is doing something. Makes me want to turn my Wii U on to see what it's doing.

So far it has installed DKC and Wii Street U updates. Not done Pikmin yet, or AC4 (which I deleted to make room for Game & Wario)

Well, I've enabled standby mode... for now. :heh:

Set it to check for stuff at 12 hour intervals.

I suppose there's always a chance they might do something cool during E3. :hehe:

Well, I've enabled standby mode... for now. :heh:

Set it to check for stuff at 12 hour intervals.

I suppose there's always a chance they might do something cool during E3. :hehe:

You can set how often it checks for things?

==========

Several people are reporting that the Wii U's WiFi has been boosted. Previously, everyone just got around 1 to 3 mbps download/upload, now people are reporting 8mbps to 12, and maybe more.

You can set how often it checks for things?
Yep, in system settings.

The default is every hour, the max is 24 hours.

Wii U uses a pathetically small 0.2 watts while on standby. That's far less than any other console (current or last gen, fat or slim), even when downloading and installing stuff in the background while it's turned off. It's nothing short of black magic! :o

Well, they'll probably need to redo that test now that the Wii U actually does something in standby now.

Still, even if it was increased by 1000%, running it for an entire year would cost less than £0.01, while the Xbox One would cost around £26.47

My WiiU is never on standby, it always gets turned off at the plug... I always turn off my stuff at the plug. This won't change considering I don't have my WiiU connected to the internet at all times. I use a wired connection but the wire isn't actually plugged in until I look to put the WiiU on.

Really? I find this bizarre :) My friends family did this and I always though it it was weird. I have everything plugged in and everything on standby. My ps3, haven't touched it in about a year, still on stand by (that's probably one case I should unplug at the wall, but I always plan to play it!)

I didn't have time to check this but can you assign apps and games to the quick boot menu or is it just a case of what you played last?

I didn't have time to check this but can you assign apps and games to the quick boot menu or is it just a case of what you played last?

The last 10. Would be good to decide yourself, I may have gone in settings last, but I never want to go there that often. Nt a big deal though.