NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

My favourite Iwata quotes:

“I think the biggest problem we were having was that thinking (that) one single software can make a great change on [GameCube] hardware sales. But we have come to realize by now that the circumstances have changed. No single software can do it, but rather, Nintendo, or more specifically GameCube, does need a great variety of different software which must be put into the market at appropriate intervals. Nintendo has to concentrate on something which is really unique to Nintendo.”

- Satoru Iwata, 2003

"One game has the power to change everything"

- Satoru Iwata, 2013

"The fate of a video game system is often influenced greatly by the introduction of a single title."

- Satoru Iwata, 2014

In fairness to the man, there's a 10/11 year gap between the quotes. People are allowed to change their opinions over time.

But, from a PR perspective, it's not great. :p

Personally I find the latter thinking rather dangerous, and horribly indicative of what I feel is currently wrong with the Wii U/Nintendo, and their future following it :(

“I think the biggest problem we were having was that thinking (that) one single software can make a great change on [GameCube] hardware sales. But we have come to realize by now that the circumstances have changed. No single software can do it, but rather, Nintendo, or more specifically GameCube, does need a great variety of different software which must be put into the market at appropriate intervals. Nintendo has to concentrate on something which is really unique to Nintendo.”

- Satoru Iwata, 2003

- Satoru Iwata, 2013

"The fate of a video game system is often influenced greatly by the introduction of a single title."

- Satoru Iwata, 2014

Going through the E3 showings has been hilarious. It highlights that Nintendo are just like every other company when it comes to PR and false promises. They aren't some magical company that are on some sort of pedestal. They are a business and want our money as much as the competition do and will tell us what you want to hear in order to do that.

Going through the E3 showings has been hilarious. It highlights that Nintendo are just like every other company when it comes to PR and false promises. They aren't some magical company that are on some sort of pedestal. They are a business and want our money as much as the competition do and will tell us what you want to hear in order to do that.

I'm definitely not alone in thinking this, but Nintendo have definitely lost that "indestructible" image that they seemed to have quite a few years back. Where even the fans would give their own blood rather than admit Nintendo were at fault or would defend them to the death. It is so, so rare to find a genuinely hardcore never-say-die Nintendo fan(boy) these days.

Part of that has to be because Nintendo has slipped and changed. Part of that also has to be because the competition has just improved over the years. Even when they caught up, that wasn't enough and they're now competing with Nintendo on every level...even besting them in many areas. Their machines are improving, their online infrastructures are better, the third party content, the graphics. In the area that matters most, quality games...you can find plenty of these on other systems, too. Maybe not quite yet with the PS4/One, but that will come and is inevitable.

Nintendo need to learn how to compete again. It is sad looking at past E3s and seeing all these classics get revealed, receive acclaim, etc. Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and possibly Smash Bros will be the classics of this system, but there needs to be more, especially to bring back the "old fans" who left them for the other systems.

I'm definitely not alone in thinking this, but Nintendo have definitely lost that "indestructible" image that they seemed to have quite a few years back. Where even the fans would give their own blood rather than admit Nintendo were at fault or would defend them to the death. It is so, so rare to find a genuinely hardcore never-say-die Nintendo fan(boy) these days.

Part of that has to be because Nintendo has slipped and changed. Part of that also has to be because the competition has just improved over the years. Even when they caught up, that wasn't enough and they're now competing with Nintendo on every level...even besting them in many areas. Their machines are improving, their online infrastructures are better, the third party content, the graphics. In the area that matters most, quality games...you can find plenty of these on other systems, too. Maybe not quite yet with the PS4/One, but that will come and is inevitable.

Nintendo need to learn how to compete again. It is sad looking at past E3s and seeing all these classics get revealed, receive acclaim, etc. Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and possibly Smash Bros will be the classics of this system, but there needs to be more, especially to bring back the "old fans" who left them for the other systems.

I'm glad to see less and less of the fanboys to be honest. That's in regards to all the consoles, not just Nintendo. There's nothing wrong with preferring a console or games company over another but to follow them blindly and never admitting they have faults is just idiotic.

I can't speak for the PS4 but I think the One had had a great start in terms of games. Since getting mine in December I've got Lego Movie, Lego Marvel, Ryse, Forza 5, Zoo Tycoon, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Metal Gear Ground Zeroes, Tomb Raider, Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare, Halo Assault, Killer Instinct, Max:Curse of Brotherhood, FIFA, Kinect Sports Rivals. That's a hell of a line up for the first six months of a console, with plenty of variety there as well.

I still think when Nintendo are firing on all cylinders they are hard to match but these kind of experiences are becoming further and further apart on a console. If you have the 3DS then it's not much if an issue as the holes can get plugged with those release, provided that there spread then out evenly.

Agreed. Iwata will say and do whatever he has to in order to make money. Their aim, as it always has been, is to have a monopoly on the market and to charge a premium for their devices whether that's to consumers or to 3rd parties who have to pay more money to publish a game on a Nintendo system. It worked well for them in the NES and SNES era but it's hard to replicate that success again and again when you have another Japanese console maker who are so much more in tune to what gamers want.

Iwata is a big problem but he is not the only one; the whole board have little knowledge of the business outside of Nintendo. The fact Miyamoto has such a high rank is mind boggling.

- Satoru Iwata, 2003

- Satoru Iwata, 2013

- Satoru Iwata, 2014

To be fair, this year's quote was taken out of context. He was actually saying that while it can happen, it's unlikely and shouldn't be relied on.

So many news places ran just with that part of the overall answer in the Q&A

Edited by Serebii

O.K. so we all know the Wii U is weaker than the competition, it's nothing like the gap last generation however. Anyway regardless of that this is truly impressive.

console_energy_reading.jpg

They really are masters of energy efficiency like some weird contortionist. To best the Wii as well. Take a bow.

O.K. so we all know the Wii U is weaker than the competition, it's nothing like the gap last generation however. Anyway regardless of that this is truly impressive.

console_energy_reading.jpg

They really are masters of energy efficiency like some weird contortionist. To best the Wii as well. Take a bow.

That's what the latest tech does :) They've got the latest tech, but with lower specs

One thing worth noting is 35-45% of the PS4 and Xbox One's consumption is due to them having a standby mode relating to updates, downloading games when told and keeping the device "primed" for quickly booting it.

Even considering that, it's still good.

One thing worth noting is 35-45% of the PS4 and Xbox One's consumption is due to them having a standby mode relating to updates, downloading games when told and keeping the device "primed" for quickly booting it.

Even considering that, it's still good.

Wii U downloads updates in standby

After the £112 Wii U basic went down the shitter, I've launched one final effort into getting a cheap Wii U.

John Lewis is sending me some vouchers for the troubles (complaining helps peeps!), I'm seeking a price match of one of their premium bundles to the price HMV is selling it (roughly £150). If that works, which people seem to be having luck in getting, I'll use the vouchers on that and hopefully get a premium Wii U for £130.

Well I've had it for a few days now and so far, I'm enjoying my time with it.

Lego City seemed a bit lacking at first but that's a problem I find when starting any open world game. I had the same issue with GTA IV but really enjoyed that game by the end. And Lego is having a very similar effect. Nothing remotely ground breaking but as my first full Lego experience, only played demos of other games, I'm enjoying it far more than I suspect I would Zelda.

I started playing DKC today as well and after initialling having a feeling of more of the same as soon as I could move DK, the level throws you into some water and this happened...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

and I suddenly remember that Returns was awesome and more of the same is a fantastic offering in anyone's book. I've finished world 1 (including the K stage) and called it quits but I can't wait to get back. I was definitely in the camp of it being a waste of Retro's time and talent upon reveal but I was most definitely wrong.

Rayman did arrive yesterday but I've not opened it yet. I still haven't actually finished Origins, as I was playing the entire game co-op with my brother and his life keeps getting in the way of game time. So I was unsure whether to just crack on given the game takes more than a few levels out of Origins anyway.

There may not be many games I want, but for the price it cost me, it's starting to feel like an absolute bargain.

Edited by Captain Falcon

After the £112 Wii U basic went down the shitter, I've launched one final effort into getting a cheap Wii U.

John Lewis is sending me some vouchers for the troubles (complaining helps peeps!), I'm seeking a price match of one of their premium bundles to the price HMV is selling it (roughly £150). If that works, which people seem to be having luck in getting, I'll use the vouchers on that and hopefully get a premium Wii U for £130.

That's much better. Stay away from the basic bundle. It's putting it politely and mildly a heap of manure.

Cool. Will do this too. What did you do? Call/e-mail? What did you say?

If this proves to be successful I'll private message you straight away. In all likeliness though, it will not.

Edit: My master plan may have a gigantic hole that John Lewis will probably notice. Aside from Liverpool One (that currently has none of the particular bundle in stock right now), no other HMV's closer than Manchester stock Wii U's!

I will continue to hope! What else am I going to use my £20 John Lewis vouchers on? Jelly Belly?!

Edited by Debug Mode

I started playing DKC today as well and after initialling having a feeling of more of the same as soon as I could move DK, the level throws you into some water and this happened...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

and I suddenly remember that Returns was awesome and more of the same is a fantastic offering in anyone's book. I've finished world 1 (including the K stage) and called it quits but I can't wait to get back. I was definitely in the camp of it being a waste of Retro's time and talent upon reveal but I was most definitely wrong.

I'm glad you're enjoying DK :yay: It's one of my favouite games on Wii U - Though I have to admit I was the same as you. In fact, I was probably one of the worst people on here for bashing it before release. I was very against Retro wasting their time on another DK game and even badgered on about how they're not capable compared to Rare! And honestly, to a degree I still have that opinion on Returns, but Tropical Freeze is just so much better. I really wouldn't be against a 3rd and final instalment in the returned Country series now!

- Satoru Iwata, 2003

- Satoru Iwata, 2013

- Satoru Iwata, 2014

I agree much more with his 2003 quote, the GameCube felt like a fantastic system by the end of it's cycle thanks to the crazy variety of games on offer, hopefully the Wii U can offer the same.

In terms of his quotes, whilst I don't agree with his 'single title' view, you can perhaps see why he changed his mind. Afterall, between 2003 and 2013 saw the release of Wii Sports and Brain Training, both of which, can be argued, were largely what set the Wii and DS on fire. Single titles that changed everything. I know they weren't they only factors, but they played a big part and I think that's what he's getting at.

And in regards to Wii U Pro Controllers, I really want one for Mario Kart but can't justify that ridiculous RRP, I'll only get one if there's a very good deal going on. I've already spent so much money on countless controllers.

No good! They didn't bite for me

If you know of a HMV that has the Lego bundle in stock, you can get John Lewis to price match it and get an extra year warranty. Just search Google for their price match page!

That's what the latest tech does :) They've got the latest tech, but with lower specs

To be honest, what do people expect? If the performance is what other consoles did 8 years ago, you'd kinda expect it to do it more efficiently.

My brother was trying to play 2 player Super Mario Kart on Wii U last night but had to call me up to see what controllers he needed for it. I couldn't even give him a simple answer as I had to explain that since he only had one Wii Classic Controller Pro, he would need to 'trick' the Wii U by syncing in 2 Wii Remotes and then plugging the controller into Wii Remote 2 while player 1 uses the Wii U Gamepad.. and.. eugh.. what an absolute farce :nono:

I like the Wii U a lot, but things like that are ridiculously stupid :mad: This is one of the things they need to sort out at E3, but even if they do, there's still way too many controllers floating around and if the ones you have aren't compatible then you're just.. left.. wondering.. SORT IT OUT!

My brother was trying to play 2 player Super Mario Kart on Wii U last night but had to call me up to see what controllers he needed for it. I couldn't even give him a simple answer as I had to explain that since he only had one Wii Classic Controller Pro, he would need to 'trick' the Wii U by syncing in 2 Wii Remotes and then plugging the controller into Wii Remote 2 while player 1 uses the Wii U Gamepad.. and.. eugh.. what an absolute farce :nono:

I like the Wii U a lot, but things like that are ridiculously stupid :mad: This is one of the things they need to sort out at E3, but even if they do, there's still way too many controllers floating around and if the ones you have aren't compatible then you're just.. left.. wondering.. SORT IT OUT!

Wait wait what? Why does it just work that p1 can be gamepad and p2 wiimote? or even just both wiimotes? or...i don't quite get it, actually. what happened without your solution?

Always said so many options for controller use was a problem. It simply confuses a simple issue.

Wait wait what? Why does it just work that p1 can be gamepad and p2 wiimote? or even just both wiimotes? or...i don't quite get it, actually. what happened without your solution?

As far as I'm aware, the Wii U Gamepad is always Player 1, but if you add another controller it will also be Player 1 meaning that you need to have yet another controller attached in order to play a 2 Player VC game. It's so retarded that I always assumed I was missing something simple but I can't find anything anywhere.

If, for example, you only have a Wii U Gamepad and a Wii U Pro Controller and think you's love a 2P 150cc GP with your friend, think again :nono: If anyone can show me otherwise, please do. When I played it a few weeks ago, there was the Wii U Gamepad, 2 Wii Remotes and 1 Wii Classic Controller Pro attached the the second Wii Remote. That's FOUR controllers just to play a 2 player game!

EDIT Found it. It wasn't OBVIOUS, but it's there.. thankfully :smile:

Edited by nekunando

As far as I'm aware, the Wii U Gamepad is always Player 1, but if you add another controller it will also be Player 1 meaning that you need to have yet another controller attached in order to play a 2 Player VC game. It's so retarded that I always assumed I was missing something simple but I can't find anything anywhere.

If, for example, you only have a Wii U Gamepad and a Wii U Pro Controller and think you's love a 2P 150cc GP with your friend, think again :nono: If anyone can show me otherwise, please do. When I played it a few weeks ago, there was the Wii U Gamepad, 2 Wii Remotes and 1 Wii Classic Controller Pro attached the the second Wii Remote. That's FOUR controllers just to play a 2 player game!

EDIT Found it. It wasn't OBVIOUS, but it's there.. thankfully :smile:

I see. You say you found it? A solution? What was it? It's likely nothing that'll ever affect me but it's good to know of course.

Looks like the couple of days effort trying to get myself a cheap Wii U has had this effect on me.

10345848_10154120775600720_2645602135576096836_n.jpg