NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

So I performed the system update last night, which only took about an hour which was a pleasant surprise actually given some people's reports, and then I thought I'd try testing the range on the gamepad. I unplugged it from the mains and it went straight off. Throughout the time it was plugged in, the orange light never came on and having followed the steps on their website around unplugging and waiting, it still won't charge now.

Any suggestions folks?

That's so weird. I've not heard of that. Power button on it definitely not working?

So I performed the system update last night, which only took about an hour which was a pleasant surprise actually given some people's reports, and then I thought I'd try testing the range on the gamepad. I unplugged it from the mains and it went straight off. Throughout the time it was plugged in, the orange light never came on and having followed the steps on their website around unplugging and waiting, it still won't charge now.

Any suggestions folks?

Try a different mains socket to charge it. If that fails try to charge it through the USB cable that you'd find with a Wii U Pro Controller. Maybe the Gamepad is faulty, maybe it's the power brick.

Any suggestions folks?

This happens to mine from time to time. I have to unplug it and put it in a new mains just for a second so that the light comes on and then I can put it back in the one I originally used and it works. I've had this problem since launch day and even mentioned it to Nintendo when I sent the GamePad back due to dead pixels but it came back the same.

I tried using a different socket but it made no difference. The power brick must be working or it wouldn't turn on at all. I was originally not using the charging cradle but trying with that makes no difference. If it rests in the dock, it will turn on but lifting it will see it go off straight away. It really seems like a battery issue to me. I've some online suggest removing and reinserting the battery but it was late last night and I didn't fancy messing around so will have to try that later.

I don't have a Pro controller to test with.

I tried using a different socket but it made no difference. The power brick must be working or it wouldn't turn on at all. I was originally not using the charging cradle but trying with that makes no difference. If it rests in the dock, it will turn on but lifting it will see it go off straight away. It really seems like a battery issue to me. I've some online suggest removing and reinserting the battery but it was late last night and I didn't fancy messing around so will have to try that later.

Yeah, I also removed the battery, left it for 20 mins and then tried it. It worked for me but then it could have just been luck due to the random nature of the problem.

I have mine pretty much on charge all the time, especially when the thing only lasts around 4-5 hours when playing online games with a headset.

I think that's the only thing I can do now now @Hero\-of\-Time. Failing any success there, I guess it might be a repair/replacement job. Being totally honest, I'm never likely to be far enough from a mains socket for it to be an actual real issue but it should work as intended too.

Not to mention that it isn't the same either! Pro controller uses mini-usb(like PS3) but I'm almost postive the Gamepad's connector is another unique one @londragon

Definitely sounds like battery issue if it works plugged in, but straight away dies when not. I don't know if that's what'd happen if the battery wasn't connected at all, but my guess it might be something along those lines.

Edited by Rummy

Yes the pro controller adapter connection is definitely different from Wii U charger connection. It's a strange decision. The Wii U connection looks exactly like the DS connection but different size. I don't know about 3DS.

On a different note, Far Cry 4 was announced earlier. Every platform and their granny is getting it but Wii U of course. Another one scratched onto the ever increasing list. We're not getting BG&E2 either so after Watch Dogs comes out, whenever that is we can kiss Ubisoft's support goodbye. At least they tried somewhat.

On a different note, Far Cry 4 was announced earlier. Every platform and their granny is getting it but Wii U of course. Another one scratched onto the ever increasing list. We're not getting BG&E2 either so after Watch Dogs comes out, whenever that is we can kiss Ubisoft's support goodbye. At least they tried somewhat.

Says who?

Don't do this to me man!

Yes the pro controller adapter connection is definitely different from Wii U charger connection. It's a strange decision. The Wii U connection looks exactly like the DS connection but different size. I don't know about 3DS.

Yeah I think that far cry announcement pretty much tells you where ubisoft is with Wii U right now. Another 3rd party running to the hills.

Tbh, I'm not expecting many/any more third party games appearing. If they appear, I'm going to take it as a positive, not a given. It's a bit bleh, but better than the feeling of disappointment, I think.

If you want these sorts of games, the Wii U isn't for you. I'm waiting for an insanely good PS4 deal or for me to come into money and I'm jumping on that. I'm pretty pissed as I only wanted the one system and thought the third parties would be on board for the Wii U.

Yeah I think that far cry announcement pretty much tells you where ubisoft is with Wii U right now. Another 3rd party running to the hills.
Tbf Far Cry 3 wasn't on Wii U, that didn't mean it didn't get Assassin's Creed 4.

Tbf Far Cry 3 wasn't on Wii U, that didn't mean it didn't get Assassin's Creed 4.

I think ACIV not selling too good would of influenced this decision. Ubisoft tried, they really did.

Well, removing the battery has no impact. With the battery disconnected but plugged into the mains, the light blinks orange. But reconnecting the battery causes it to stop blinking. That's a nuisance and then some.

Yeah, well, Ubisoft is rumored to develop two AC's at the same time. One for PS3, X360 and PC, codenamed Comet, and one for PS4/XB1 codenamed Unity (not to be mistaken with the other Unity :indeed:)

If Wii U misses out on Comet, then I think future Ubisoft support is over for the time being. If Wii U only misses out on Unity, that wouldn't be a shock to me...

Not to mention that it isn't the same either! Pro controller uses mini-usb(like PS3) but I'm almost postive the Gamepad's connector is another unique one @londragon

You're completely correct. The connector is different, don't know where I pulled that from. Sorry! ;P

Well, removing the battery has no impact. With the battery disconnected but plugged into the mains, the light blinks orange. But reconnecting the battery causes it to stop blinking. That's a nuisance and then some.

Sorry to hear that. I guess it's a faulty pad or charger then. Best bet would be to get it to Nintendo ASAP. They are quite good with the speed of their service. Took about a week to get mine sent, fixed and sent back to me.

Yeah, well, Ubisoft is rumored to develop two AC's at the same time. One for PS3, X360 and PC, codenamed Comet, and one for PS4/XB1 codenamed Unity (not to be mistaken with the other Unity :indeed:)

If Wii U misses out on Comet, then I think future Ubisoft support is over for the time being. If Wii U only misses out on Unity, that wouldn't be a shock to me...

So Ubisoft have confirmed comet is on PS3 & 360.

Ubisoft pulling the plug on wii u support.

So Ubisoft have confirmed comet is on PS3 & 360.

Ubisoft pulling the plug on wii u support.

Could be, but don't forget they haven't yet confirmed PC either.

But the fact we are already suspecting that, says enough about our expectations, right? ;)

For me, it would be a bonus as I prefer the AC games on my Wii U actually.

Could be, but don't forget they haven't yet confirmed PC either.

But the fact we are already suspecting that, says enough about our expectations, right? ;)

For me, it would be a bonus as I prefer the AC games on my Wii U actually.

Why is it that when games get announced, and they do in fact get released for the Wii U, they always wait further down the line to announce them for the console, even if it launches on the same day? I find it a bit weird. I mean the game is either coming or it's not. Why not just state it either way?

Why is it that when games get announced, and they do in fact get released for the Wii U, they always wait further down the line to announce them for the console, even if it launches on the same day? I find it a bit weird. I mean the game is either coming or it's not. Why not just state it either way?

Maybe a deal with Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo?

Or the opposite: still negotiating with one or more of them? ::shrug:

Who knows, but you're right, it happens a lot to both Wii U and PC...

Well Unity is confirmed for release on PC, alongside PS4 and Xbone, so that just leaves the Wii U without a confirmed title yet. Comet is the only likely case and it'll likely turn up during Nintendo's E3 'sizzle reel'.

Well Unity is confirmed for release on PC, alongside PS4 and Xbone, so that just leaves the Wii U without a confirmed title yet. Comet is the only likely case and it'll likely turn up during Nintendo's E3 'sizzle reel'.

Yep, that's the scenario I'm rooting for too... :hmm: