NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Nintendo aren't showing us because they're spent. They don't have any useful ideas. They must have had a very romantic view of how it would all go. Remember the E3 unveiling of NintendoLand? They must have been exciting rapturous applauses and critical acclaim. What they got was an audience who didn't care. They probably expected it to fly off the shelves and for the GamePad to sell the system, or the system to sell itself. Riding off the success of the original Wii.

I'm so dubious with Nintendo and peripherals. How many interesting uses have we got out of the balance board? WiiMotionPlus? GamePad?

And how many useful ideas did we get out of GBA-GC connectivity? Although funnily enough a game like 4 Swords is EXACTLY what the Wii U needs.

Nintendo try different things and sometimes succeed, but lets face the truth: if they bothered to fix the fundamental issues that they have as a company and actually rebuilt their western studio empire, they'd be laughing all the way to the bank. They wouldn't need to risk any gimmicks; they could just focus on making fantastic titles. The DS worked as a gimmick because it was touch screen tech a few years before touch screens became common place, and the Wii worked because waggle appealed (briefly) to non-gamers, but that doesn't mean they need to keep trying to recapture lightning in a bottle.

Nintendo aren't showing us because they're spent. They don't have any useful ideas. They must have had a very romantic view of how it would all go. Remember the E3 unveiling of NintendoLand? They must have been exciting rapturous applauses and critical acclaim. What they got was an audience who didn't care. They probably expected it to fly off the shelves and for the GamePad to sell the system, or the system to sell itself. Riding off the success of the original Wii.

I'm so dubious with Nintendo and peripherals. How many interesting uses have we got out of the balance board? WiiMotionPlus? GamePad?

How do you know they're spent? And if so, why would they specifically say they have software that uses it coming at e3?

As for them doing all these gimmicks and peripherals... I'm still glad there's a company that is really trying new things, whether they succeed or not. There's a classic quote that I believe in a lot in life - how can you truly succeed if you never fail! Something like that, paraphrasing. But the sentiment is what I believe in.

Would you go out tomorrow and get a Wii U at that price?

Would the first mother you plucked off the street pay that much for a Wii U and Mario Kart for her kid?

Would teenagers go for it at that price?

Would you get students in 2014 going for this?

Who is this system aimed at? Do Nintendo even know? I certainly wouldn't even look at it at 249. No sane parent would and teenagers/students have moved onto the Playstation/Xbox/potentially PC combo and aren't looking back.

If you were 12 when the GameCube came out, that would make you 24 now. Most people my age (if they are into gaming) wouldn't snap at a Wii U with this price.

...But I still bought one at launch.

Call me cray, but people impulse buy a lot of things. That same mother probably didnt think the Wii was worth 180.

And to mirror one of Dazzys old mantras, I also fail to see how a PS4 at 400 GBP (sorry Norwegian keyboard no pound signs), is any more enticing for me to buy right NOW - technology rocks, future-proofed 3rd party, Blu ray - true. But what does it really matter when the games (in my eyes) at the moment are not worth the asking price yet?

249.99 sounds just about right tbf. 170? Your talking Gamecube power level. Wii U tech has much more potential and can be still pretty impressive.
We're also talking 10 years ago for the Gamecube, tech prices are only relevant in the now. £170 today doesn't buy you Gamecube tech... probably half that money does.

I've been watching Nintendo's E3 conferences of late (2002-2007 so far) and there is a running theme...risk and disruption. It's what Nintendo has been doing with their hardware since 2004 and the Wii U is just like that. However, unlike the DS, Wii and eventually 3DS, the risk just didn't pay off. They can't take risks and succeed every time. That's not how the world works.

Arguably the disruptive strategy never took off with the 3DS though. It only started selling when there were enough games people wanted and the price was low enough to disregard the expensive component. This is the problem with the disruptive strategy - if it isn't successful, the games machine is left with a high cost price that makes it seem far too expensive for what it is.

No, they're showing us at E3. They have "useful" ideas.
Do you not think it's shocking that outside of Nintendo Land, Nintendo themselves haven't created one game built around the Gamepad? and Nintendo Land was basically a compilation of fun demo's Nintendo had lying around from developing the console.

And now they only seem to be saying they'll design games around it because they've been called out on it!

Who did they expect to be supporting it if not themselves? It's absolutely laughable! Creating a device they tell us we need and yet not even they can see the use in it!

We're also talking 10 years ago for the Gamecube, tech prices are only relevant in the now. £170 today doesn't buy you Gamecube tech... probably half that money does.

Are we saying that a 30-40% price drop will actually do Nintendo good?

What is the major reasoning for the console not selling? I wouldn't say price, especially with the 8gb model floating around.

Thats just a recipe for disaster... Im actually agreeing with Serebii.

A Wii U, MarioKart, NintendoLand at 199 isn't too bad a deal. I'd be more inclined going for that than the 249 nonsense.

fuck a duck! do you expect Shiggsy to come round and install for that price?

I appreciate that £250 may be out of some people's budget, but it's not expensive. I think the N64 was £250 launch.

It is a gamechanger in my view because it streamlines the process considerably. In its most mundane use, having a map and inventory, it has completely changed and streamlined how I play games. Yes, in other games in the past you could load up a menu and check these things, but being able to change/check on the fly is just amazing.

It's useful, but I don't see that as a game changer. It's nice, but it's not "pay an extra £70+" nice. It's used well in Arkham City, but the time that you spend looking at the screen and not paying attention to the TV screen almost negates its purpose. The screen is damn near un-usable in FIFA13. You can't use the screen to pass the ball accurately enough and it's too fiddly to take your hands off the buttons to swipe the screen and then look back at the tv. Pro Evo on the Wii had it right with the Wiimote.

Why must every use be a massive grandiose demonstration of it? NintendoLand showed it well, as did ZombiU, and Game & Wario, and The Wonderful 101, but it doesn't have to be a massive use.

...because we are paying extra money for this exact feature. If the GamePad weren't included, we wouldn't need to pay for it, so it's not fair at all to expect some decent use of it. Wonderful101 makes excellent use of the pad/screen, yes. But, there needs to be more of it.

It's not limited. My house has brick walls, not thin, and I can play the Wii U at any part of my house. But it all depends on the structure of your house, I guess. Sure, they could boost the antenna, but more distance means more lag.

Tempted to call bullshit on this one. Can't use the GamePad even one room over, with brick walls. Even then, even if it does work for one person, it doesn't for the next, so it's inconsistent. Meaning that dream of playing Zelda on the GamePad screen in bed whilst the console is in the living room isn't achievable.

Even the off-tv feature is almost redundant. In an age where so many people have a means to record television, it's almost pointless.

As for 3D World, the instances you listed are the mandatory ones, sure. However, you can use it at all times, to extract coins from flowers, to find hidden blocks, to activate switches, to hinder enemies.

Didn't know about some of those, but doesn't the fact that I've made it this far into the game without knowing that tell you something? I'm looking at the tv screen and admiring the beauty of the game. It's wonderful. I don't need to look down at another screen, especially one where the game won't look so pretty anyway.

Again, why must a game be built around a massively creative use of the controller? I again argue that the best uses are the subtle ones. It was the same with the Wii. Ones which were full motion, waggle etc. weren't good, but ones like Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy etc. got it right.

Doesn't Metroid Prime have motion controls?

Anyway, again, I disagree. Best and most memorable uses for the Wiimote for me: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Skyward Sword. Both were games that revolved around the controller.

Also, Nintendo did take it to third party developers and they did react positively, but unfortunately their publishers care about power so few projects were greenlit. There are reports and interviews around the net of developers being excited about the GamePad, but then having pause because of the specs (and Nintendo rushing it and so the dev kit situation wasn't as it could have been).

All I hear there is excuses. It's no good if developers react positively and then show NOTHING because we as gamers receive NOTHING. No gamer here gives two fucks what somebody at Capcom thinks. What we want are games. The games speak for themselves. Surely the fact that publishers only cared about power and Nintendo weren't going with that should have caused somebody to think, "hold on, are we doing the right thing here?" In my mind, Nintendo like to be different, perhaps for the sake of just being different. Why? Being different for the sake of it is pointless. Different doesn't always mean best.

No, they're showing us at E3. They have "useful" ideas.

We shall see, but I have to admit that I'm going into this E3 not optimistic. I wasn't sold on the Wii U before buying it and I'm even less sold on it now that I have one. As a fan, I've been disappointed.

And how many useful ideas did we get out of GBA-GC connectivity? Although funnily enough a game like 4 Swords is EXACTLY what the Wii U needs.

Exactly.

It'll take a lot more than that to satisfy gamers, though. But, a good start it would be.

Nintendo try different things and sometimes succeed, but lets face the truth: if they bothered to fix the fundamental issues that they have as a company and actually rebuilt their western studio empire, they'd be laughing all the way to the bank. They wouldn't need to risk any gimmicks; they could just focus on making fantastic titles. The DS worked as a gimmick because it was touch screen tech a few years before touch screens became common place, and the Wii worked because waggle appealed (briefly) to non-gamers, but that doesn't mean they need to keep trying to recapture lightning in a bottle.

I would have been satisfied had Nintendo just kept the Wiimote (motionplus as standard), packed in the Pro Controller and built off that for the next system. Give us something closer to what the PS4/One can do and give us more games. We're going to miss out on so many third party titles because the gap is simply too big. We think the third party situation is bad now, it's going to be even worse in a further two years when development has firmly moved over to the new systems.

I appreciate that £250 may be out of some people's budget, but it's not expensive. I think the N64 was £250 launch.

£250 at launch.

£150 two months after launch.

Are we saying that a 30-40% price drop will actually do Nintendo good?

What is the major reasoning for the console not selling? I wouldn't say price, especially with the 8gb model floating around.

Thats just a recipe for disaster... Im actually agreeing with Serebii.

I think price could possibly be the predominant factor. It probably is for me.

£279.99, £249.99... whatever the Mario Kart Bundle comes in at, I can't see myself picking it up. £199.99, £179.99 I think I would.

No one with any know is going to buy the 8GB model, when you have to factor in an HDD at £50 on top of that.

The games (well some) are actually there for people who do pick one up, it's just enticing them to. That and an N64/Gamecube Virtual Console.

I would have been satisfied had Nintendo just kept the Wiimote (motionplus as standard), packed in the Pro Controller and built off that for the next system. Give us something closer to what the PS4/One can do and give us more games. We're going to miss out on so many third party titles because the gap is simply too big. We think the third party situation is bad now, it's going to be even worse in a further two years when development has firmly moved over to the new systems.

Agree with this whole post. And yes, the controller for the Wii successor should have been an improved Wii remote+ with a pro controller in the box as well. Heck, they could have kept the specs the same as the Wii U and the cost would've shot right down, maybe to the £150 mark. That leaves them with a fantastic controller for FPS games (they are apparently quite popular in the West), a controller that people know well from the Wii, a cheap price point and of course, HD Nintendo games, exclusive to this cheap box which is half the price of a PS4. BOOM.

Let's screenshot this brah and send it to Nintendo. We demand 10%.

Agree with this whole post. And yes, the controller for the Wii successor should have been an improved Wii remote+ with a pro controller in the box as well. Heck, they could have kept the specs the same as the Wii U and the cost would've shot right down, maybe to the £150 mark. That leaves them with a fantastic controller for FPS games (they are apparently quite popular in the West), a controller that people know well from the Wii, a cheap price point and of course, HD Nintendo games, exclusive to this cheap box which is half the price of a PS4. BOOM.

Let's screenshot this brah and send it to Nintendo. We demand 10%.

That dude Patcher said it all along... It is shockingly amusing the way they ditched Wiimote technology after all the good it did them and the BS of " new way to play" they were spewing.

Though happy they didn't main the Wii U with remotes - this idea would have been solid.

Do you not think it's shocking that outside of Nintendo Land, Nintendo themselves haven't created one game built around the Gamepad? and Nintendo Land was basically a compilation of fun demo's Nintendo had lying around from developing the console.

And now they only seem to be saying they'll design games around it because they've been called out on it!

Who did they expect to be supporting it if not themselves? It's absolutely laughable! Creating a device they tell us we need and yet not even they can see the use in it!

They are though. Again, things don't have to be mega amazing showcases of it. Off-TV Play is using it (Do note, Off-TV play was the original concept behind the GamePad so anything else is extra). Using it for various touch controls in games is using it.

It's useful, but I don't see that as a game changer. It's nice, but it's not "pay an extra £70+" nice. It's used well in Arkham City, but the time that you spend looking at the screen and not paying attention to the TV screen almost negates its purpose. The screen is damn near un-usable in FIFA13. You can't use the screen to pass the ball accurately enough and it's too fiddly to take your hands off the buttons to swipe the screen and then look back at the tv. Pro Evo on the Wii had it right with the Wiimote.

A dodgy EA port used it badly, so you're judging it on that?

...because we are paying extra money for this exact feature. If the GamePad weren't included, we wouldn't need to pay for it, so it's not fair at all to expect some decent use of it. Wonderful101 makes excellent use of the pad/screen, yes. But, there needs to be more of it.

And there will be.

Tempted to call bullshit on this one. Can't use the GamePad even one room over, with brick walls. Even then, even if it does work for one person, it doesn't for the next, so it's inconsistent. Meaning that dream of playing Zelda on the GamePad screen in bed whilst the console is in the living room isn't achievable.

Even the off-tv feature is almost redundant. In an age where so many people have a means to record television, it's almost pointless.

It's not bullshit, it's the truth. The only time I have issues is when I'm moving down the stairs, and that's where it loses connection.

Also, Off-TV play has been a godsend to many of my friends who only have one TV but live with their partner. Just because they can record TV doesn't mean it's pointless. With that logic, you can also play the game later.

Didn't know about some of those, but doesn't the fact that I've made it this far into the game without knowing that tell you something? I'm looking at the tv screen and admiring the beauty of the game. It's wonderful. I don't need to look down at another screen, especially one where the game won't look so pretty anyway.

It's a decent subtle touch. It's Nintendo expecting you to explore the uses of it rather than have it slapped in your face. That's how gaming used to be, now we're at the point where games show/tell you exactly what you have to do

Doesn't Metroid Prime have motion controls?

Anyway, again, I disagree. Best and most memorable uses for the Wiimote for me: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Skyward Sword. Both were games that revolved around the controller.

Yes, Metroid Prime has motion controls, subtle onces that aren't forced. That's my entire point.

All I hear there is excuses. It's no good if developers react positively and then show NOTHING because we as gamers receive NOTHING. No gamer here gives two fucks what somebody at Capcom thinks. What we want are games. The games speak for themselves. Surely the fact that publishers only cared about power and Nintendo weren't going with that should have caused somebody to think, "hold on, are we doing the right thing here?" In my mind, Nintendo like to be different, perhaps for the sake of just being different. Why? Being different for the sake of it is pointless. Different doesn't always mean best.

Excuses? You asked if Nintendo showed developers the concept when in development. I said yes and then stated when things went awry. Nothing I said is "making excuses".

How do you know they're spent? And if so, why would they specifically say they have software that uses it coming at e3?

As for them doing all these gimmicks and peripherals... I'm still glad there's a company that is really trying new things, whether they succeed or not. There's a classic quote that I believe in a lot in life - how can you truly succeed if you never fail! Something like that, paraphrasing. But the sentiment is what I believe in.

I believe Retro said it best there, Dazzybee.

Taking risks is fine, but there has to be a line somewhere. The Wii was a huge risk and that paid off. The Wii U is fucking insanity. If you're going to be that gung-ho, you need to have something to back you up. In the Wii's case, they had the likes of ExciteTruck, Red Steel, Mario Galaxy, Brawl, Wii Sports. The games spoke for themselves. Gamers lapped it up at the time.

Personally, I think the Wii U was one risk they didn't need to take, especially as how the Wii tailed off towards the end. Nintendo have seriously damaged their image. Goron mentioned this perfectly earlier, they are now seen as "that gimmicky company who have weaker systems". Calculated risks are all well and good. This is gung-ho.

...But I still bought one at launch.

Call me cray, but people impulse buy a lot of things. That same mother probably didnt think the Wii was worth 180.

And to mirror one of Dazzys old mantras, I also fail to see how a PS4 at 400 GBP (sorry Norwegian keyboard no pound signs), is any more enticing for me to buy right NOW - technology rocks, future-proofed 3rd party, Blu ray - true. But what does it really matter when the games (in my eyes) at the moment are not worth the asking price yet?

Sorry brah, you got ripped off. There was such a wide audience out there who were burned by the launch of the Wii, especially as there were deals going for 199 not toooo far afterwards.

Clearly people haven't been impulse buying because people haven't been buying it. It's a failing system. The Wii price point at the time was perfect and they probably could have charged another 20 quid extra and got away with it because the tech was exciting. The public don't give a shit about the GamePad. There is no buzz.

The PS4 WILL be getting, at the very least, third party games. Even if you're a FIFA brah or Call of Duty brah, you can get those on the PS4/One. You won't be getting FIFA, because it's not there. Like Need for Speed? Tough shit. GTA? Tomb Raider? Battlefield? As soon as developers shift their focus firmly from the PS3/360 to PS4/One, where are the third party games going to come from? This is before the exclusives for the other systems. It may not be worth picking up a PS4/One right this second, but it will be.

fuck a duck! do you expect Shiggsy to come round and install for that price?

For what you are getting, it isn't worth it. As a long term investment, it's not a particularly great deal. I bit at 199 because I had an inclination that the system wouldn't get cheaper than that (it was a deal at ASDA). A year on, and it looks like I got that one right.

Edit: Fucking LOL at the fuck a duck bit. My Mum says that all the time. :D

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Nintendo developed/funded games built around the GamePad (excluding off-tv play):

NintendoLand (cannot be played without it)

Game & Wario (cannot be played without it)

Sing Party (Urgh. Didn't want to mention it, but it would be wrong for me to ignore it.)

Wii Party U (cannot be played without it)

Lego City Undercover (cannot be played without it)

The Wonderful 101 (can be played without it...awkwardly)

Pokémon Rumble U (can be played without it. Built around the NFC feature in the GamePad)

Art Academy: SketchPad (cannot be played without it)

So it's not just NintendoLand. Please refrain from exaggeration

Edited by Serebii

Nintendo developed/funded games built around the GamePad:

Sing Party (Urgh. Didn't want to mention it, but it would be wrong for me to ignore it.)

Pokémon Rumble U (can be played without it. Built around the NFC feature in the GamePad)

The first 4 of those are bloody mini game collections, two of which are horrible (Sing Party, Wii Party U). One is Art Academy for crying out loud..I mean, really Joe, is that you're resorting to? 'Hey, buy a Wii U, it has Art Academy'.

Also, how did TW101 use the Gamepad? I completed the game and I don't remember using it, apart from when you enter buildings and the camera changes...

And I'd be more gutted about missing out on mario kart, smash, mario, Zelda etc than call of duty, assassins creed, FIFA etc.

And you mentioned brawl, but that wasn't built around the Wii mote, and mario wasn't really, the point you're making is it had games. But that's different to gamepad - wiimote talked... Let's see what happens at e3 :)

If Sony can make a (albeit small) profit on each PS4 being sold (and as far as I'm aware, this is the case although I could be wrong but it is mainly off the shelf components) then it really is ridiculous that Nintendo are making such a loss with the Wii U. They've really done poorly in sourcing their components because there is no way that at 299.99EUR, with a copy of Mario Kart 8 thrown in, that they should be making a loss. There's nothing there that should have cost so much to put together (even the Gamepad shouldn't cost as much as it does) because despite some proprietary tech for the Gamepad streaming, everything is more or less several years old tech wise. ::shrug:

But yeah, at 299.99EUR, that's still too far a push for someone like me to pick up the console. For a little more, I could get myself a PS4 and be relatively future-proof gaming and media wise for the next 5-8 years.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another price cut coming at the end of the summer/start of autumn (depending on their fall lineup of games) because they'll need it to stand any chance of bringing in decent sales numbers against the other 2 consoles during the holidays.

I do wonder at the deal Nintendo got when sourcing components but they continue to use custom parts which makes the cost go up. Also you have to bear in mind that over time production should decrease as more orders should see the price go down but the Wii U has sold so poorly that this is probably not the case. I mean how many Wii U's are still stuck in warehouses nevermind new production.

The Market made Nintendo take a huge hit on the 3DS and the market will determine if we see more Wii U price cuts.

We will probably see the XB1 @ £350 or even less if they release a kinect less version by the holidays and Sony will likely have room to also reduce the PS4 to £299.

A mixture of many things.

Price, lack of software (I dont need a list but there clearly is a lack of software that people want), a controller which to me puts people off, people thinking the wii u is add on for the wii, underpowered compared to the XB1 and PS4. A bizarre marketing campaign which failed time and time again to actually communicate what the Wii U is and why it isnt a Wii add on.

There are many reasons people can come up with for the console not selling but its simply an undersirable product and once thats the case its a very difficult job changing that perception.

Edited by liger05

The first 4 of those are bloody mini game collections, two of which are horrible (Sing Party, Wii Party U). One is Art Academy for crying out loud..I mean, really Joe, is that you're resorting to? 'Hey, buy a Wii U, it has Art Academy'.

Also, how did TW101 use the Gamepad? I completed the game and I don't remember using it, apart from when you enter buildings and the camera changes...

Be fair, Wii Party U is great. Sing Party, you're right, is god awful.

So what some are mini-game collections? Should we ignore Xbox One games because they're shooters, or racers? Or ignore Kinect games because they're sports related?

I wasn't saying these were system sellers. I was saying that they were titles built around the GamePad. Please don't put words in my mouth. You know how I hate that.

Also, TW101 used it for creating the unite morphs, as well as the camera changes. The camera changes are also a decently done part.

I do wonder at the deal Nintendo got when sourcing components but they continue to use custom parts which makes the cost go up. Also you have to bear in mind that over time production should decrease as more orders should see the price go down but the Wii U has sold so poorly that this is probably not the case. I mean how many Wii U's are still stuck in warehouses nevermind new production.

The Market made Nintendo take a huge hit on the 3DS and the market will determine if we see more Wii U price cuts.

We will probably see the XB1 @ £350 or even less if they release a kinect less version by the holidays and Sony will likely have room to also reduce the PS4 to £299.

"The market" can determine what it wants, but if a price cut isn't feasible for Nintendo, it's not going to happen, regardless of what "the market" wants.

Nintendo developed/funded games built around the GamePad (excluding off-tv play):

Please refrain from hypocrisy!

And you're completely missing the point on what a game built around the Gamepad should be! Completely!

It should be an experience you can't get elsewhere, it should be a USP.

The majority of those games would not be defunct without the Gamepad, they could just have their controls mapped to a traditional control scheme! Like putting Lego City's scan feature in-game, and moving Sing Party's lyrics to the TV.

When mini-game compilations are really the best examples you can draw upon it's a pretty sorry case. And Art Academy was successfully preceded by Udraw.

Please refrain from hypocrisy!

And you're completely missing the point on what a game built around the Gamepad should be! Completely!

It should be an experience you can't get elsewhere, it should be a USP.

The majority of those games would not be defunct without the Gamepad, they could just have their controls mapped to a traditional control scheme! Like putting Lego City's scan feature in-game, and moving Sing Party's lyrics to the TV.

When mini-game compilations are really the best examples you can draw upon it's a pretty sorry case. And Art Academy was successfully preceded by Udraw.

I fail to see any hypocrisy.

These are games. They were built around the GamePad. Yes, things could potentially be mapped to normal controls, but you can say that about anything that's new.

I'm going to leave this thread for a while now, anyway, else we're all going to end up in one of the arguments that caused issues in the past.

nintendo need to drop the price to £200 without a game £220 bundles...........................WHEN there is actually a demand for the WiiU!

right now those who want a WiiU already own one, those who don't are on the fence and see no reason to buy it yet!

so right now a price drop would be wasted as noone would buy it, then when better games come people would want more price off

I suspect the price will be dropped after e3 if demand is up for the console

Be fair, Wii Party U is great. Sing Party, you're right, is god awful.

So what some are mini-game collections? Should we ignore Xbox One games because they're shooters, or racers? Or ignore Kinect games because they're sports related?

I wasn't saying these were system sellers. I was saying that they were titles built around the GamePad. Please don't put words in my mouth. You know how I hate that.

Also, TW101 used it for creating the unite morphs, as well as the camera changes. The camera changes are also a decently done part.

Didn't realise that you could use the touch screen for those; I just used the analogue stick as it was very quick and easy.

You've completely missed the point about the mini game thing. You used them as examples in Nintendo investing into the gamepad but those aren't big investments at all; they are games made me small teams which occasionally use the controller well. In no way shape or form are they worthwhile investments into the Gamepad.

The point people are making, which you completely seem to be ignoring, is that Nintendo are making people BUY the gamepad with the console, which inflates the price, yet they aren't justifying that cost with software in most cases. For most people, the Wii U minus the gamepad at a cheaper price would likely result in a sale for games like Mario Kart, 3D World etc. Justifying that cost by listing some mini-games isn't fooling anyone.