NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I think it was because not much felt new (but this could be bad memory) as some was announced in previous directs (right?) and some of what was new, felt rehashey (3D World, DK, Wind Waker).

It was good, it was fine, but it wouldn't have suffered by having more.

Indeed. If Nintendo had revealed that line-up any other year, people would be praising them. It's just because it was a Direct rather than a conference, which is practically the same thing from the perspective of people at home, just a Direct lacks awkward pauses for applause and live demos going wrong.

The issue was a lot of these games we knew about already. I've actually just sat and watched it again ( well had on in the back ground while watching the footy ) and here's what we got.

Pokemon XY trailer:- Was this the first time it was shown?

Mario 3D World:- Very bland trailer which caused out cry on the net.

Mario Kart 8:- Awesome

Wii Party U:- Trailer then an apology for it being pushed back.

Wii Fit U:- Another apology for it being delayed.

Art Academy:- .......

3rd Party Trailer:- Awful trailer which pretty much was a few games from Ubisoft and Warner Bros.

eShop Trailer:- Not bad but the best looking games on that trailer are still not out yet.

Wind Waker:- We knew about this.

Wonderful 101:- We knew about this.

Donkey Kong Country: A game that the majority of people didn't want Retro to work on.

Bayonetta 2:- We knew about this.

X:- We knew about this.

Smash Bros.:- Probably the best moment of the Direct due to a 3rd party character being revealed in an awesome way.

There we have it. It was alright but had they not revealed a few of these games before hand ( due to the Wii U tanking ) then it would have been much better.

In regards to Direct Vs Conference, I've seen you say the same thing on Gaf numerous times and I really disagree with you.

E3 is supposed to be a spectacle for us gamers. You have the laughs of things going wrong and get drawn in as part of the live crowd. You will never get that same feeling of watching a conference, where people are reacting live to what's happening, on a Nintendo Direct.

Imagine that TP reveal on a direct, it wouldn't be half as amazing without the crowd reaction. I was actually pretty upset that the Brawl trailer wasn't live. I guarantee that the crowds reaction would have been close to that level. Hell, just watch the reaction vids that were posted on YouTube and them imagine that in a grander scale.

It also gave out the wrong message from Nintendo. It was like they were either afraid of competing with the other 2 or they were too good to follow the industry and do a conference, something that has been done for years now.

NWR were on about this subject the other week and I think it was James who was saying you had many journalists who either didn't watch it altogether or just caught it at a later date. You put people in a conference and you have their attention.

I doubt we'll ever get another E3 where a 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Donkey Kong are all unveiled at the same show. Not to mention two Zeldas and Pokemon.

Yes we knew about some of the games and some of the trailers weren't great, but it was PACKED with top quality BIG NAME games. I was amazed at the negative backlash afterwards, really strange.

I'm really dreading this year's E3 if fans weren't happy with last year.

I doubt we'll ever get another E3 where a 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Donkey Kong are all unveiled at the same show. Not to mention two Zeldas and Pokemon.

Yes we knew about some of the games and some of the trailers weren't great, but it was PACKED with top quality BIG NAME games. I was amazed at the negative backlash afterwards, really strange.

I'm really dreading this year's E3 if fans weren't happy with last year.

Smash was revealed at least a year before this show. A Link Between Worlds was revealed about 2 months before it. Wind Waker was January. I see you also mentioned Sonic Lost World earlier on (I think). That was revealed. About a month earlier.

Showing these games that are coming is NOT the same as revealing them for the first time. It wasn't an amazing blow-out as you keep saying it was.

Edit: Sorry to rub salt in the wounds, but Pokemon was also in January's direct.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Smash wasn't revealed a year before the show, they merely said that they were making it. Ditto Wind Waker, a few renders but we only saw in-game footage at E3.

So just Mario, Mario Kart, Smash and Donkey Kong revealed for the first time then, still not too shabby. That's basically three of Nintendo's biggest franchises + loads more info and footage on other previously announced games.

The original point that I was responding to was that apparently last year's E3 for Nintendo wasn't "packed", but it most certainly was.

Edited by Ronnie

The thing with Mario is that the E3 trailer was crap! The game just didn't look fun!

Was the reaction to last year's E3 genuinely negative though, or was it more a case of "Nice show, not all that exciting"? At that point in time, Nintendo had to thrill people, yet arguably they didn't. Did that spoil my day? Not at all, but most of us were just being honest that it didn't get our blood pumping.

Let's forget about all the games that we already knew about, like the two Zelda games etc, etc. I also think most of us would agree that Mario Kart 8 looked every bit as good as we could have hoped for. The main two "questionable" reveals were Donkey Kong and Super Mario 3D World. So, let's take Donkey Kong first - was the disappointment just because it wasn't Metroid? Not really. I think it's just that many of us weren't really all that excited for another 2.5D platformer, and maybe were looking for something with a bit more thought, exploration and immersion to it (like Metroid!)

As for Mario 3D World, I was genuinely confused when I saw that. My stream wasn't all that great, and when I re-joined the show, I saw Mario and three other characters running along. I genuinely thought it was another Mario Party, or another game along those lines. Regardless of how the final game turned out, that's why people were a bit underwhelmed on the day.

What I'm saying is that just because people don't necessarily get excited by a particular Nintendo Direct/E3, that doesn't mean they're being negative. You can't fake excitement. Whether those trailers thrill or disappoint depends much more on how good the individual game looks rather than the series it comes from.

Edited by Grazza

Smash wasn't revealed a year before the show, they merely said that they were making it. Ditto Wind Waker, a few renders but we only saw in-game footage at E3.

So just Mario, Mario Kart, Smash and Donkey Kong revealed for the first time then, still not too shabby. That's basically three of Nintendo's biggest franchises + loads more info and footage on other previously announced games.

The original point that I was responding to was that apparently last year's E3 for Nintendo wasn't "packed", but it most certainly was.

Packed with what though? Your list has gone from this:

Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Wind Waker, Sonic Lost World, A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon, Bayonetta 2, X

to this:

So just Mario, Mario Kart, Smash and Donkey Kong revealed for the first time then

Which is very telling. Smash, although it may not have been revealed at that point, was something that Nintendo had been talking about for more than a year beforehand. It was expected to be there. Mario and Donkey Kong were games which looked very, very similar to games that hadn't been out for all that long (DKCReturns and 3D Land...there's no escaping this). So, the only "new" title is...Mario Kart.

Again, it's all very telling. At a time when gamers wanted "new" things, we were given trailers for things that we already knew about about games that we had already been playing for years. Where's the innovation? There's no mistake when I say that Nintendo fans have been critical for some time over the lack of new IPs, so where are they? Where are the third party exclusives?

Although there were things there that I liked, I can totally understand the frustration.

Zelda could easily be ready. I'm positive I remember reading it was ready to show last year. We will definitely get a trailer. Certain. It could be out this year too, but I think 2015. We need one game out this year surprise and a Zelda trailer, plus all the other games looking awesome. Would be a great e3!

I think this thread shows that we love are surprises. If things have been announced we almost don't count it. It's a bit of a weird mindset, but I'm probably the same.

Zelda could easily be ready. I'm positive I remember reading it was ready to show last year. We will definitely get a trailer. Certain. It could be out this year too, but I think 2015. We need one game out this year surprise and a Zelda trailer, plus all the other games looking awesome. Would be a great e3!

I think this thread shows that we love are surprises. If things have been announced we almost don't count it. It's a bit of a weird mindset, but I'm probably the same.

Tbh, I'm not looking forward to Zelda. Skyward Sword wasn't a great game. Xenoblade, as far as I'm concerned, destroyed it in every single department. Nintendo will need something else, for me anyway.

That's coming from an absolute fanboy for the console games.

Tbh, I'm not looking forward to Zelda. Skyward Sword wasn't a great game. Xenoblade, as far as I'm concerned, destroyed it in every single department. Nintendo will need something else, for me anyway.

That's coming from an absolute fanboy for the console games.

Probably a good thing, expectations and all that. I loved skyward sword and I can't wait :)

Probably a good thing, expectations and all that. I loved skyward sword and I can't wait :)

The first third of Skyward Sword is great. But, once you "figure out" its structure, it becomes laboured. I almost slept through the second and final third of the game.

Also, The Imprisoned. Three times. Never again.

The first third of Skyward Sword is great. But, once you "figure out" its structure, it becomes laboured. I almost slept through the second and final third of the game.

Also, The Imprisoned. Three times. Never again.

Yeah, but I just loved the controls, I loved the visuals, and even though it was a bit cumbersome I still love fighting, side quests, solving puzzles, dungeons and attacking bosses :)

I think what they need to show this year are games that seem like you can get your teeth into them. With a Metroid, for example, I know there'll be moments when I'm alone in an alien environment, and I'm searching the walls for holes I can enter if I turn into a Morph Ball. Or things I can blast with the Ice Beam etc, etc.

If they show a Zelda, I know that (if they do it well) there'll be a vast world to explore, lots of dwellings with strange people in them. Caves, dungeons, (hopefully) mountains and probably a big castle too.

I'm also quite sure they could turn Kid Icarus into this kind of franchise too. Use Pit and his co-stars to scratch that itch.

It's just that maybe a lot of the stuff they've done so far doesn't have that sort of appeal. I'm not expecting a great deal more than Smash Bros and Yarn Yoshi though, to be honest.

Packed with what though?

Packed with games! E3 isn't all about unexpected releases people have never seen before, and even if it is, the list of those is pretty damn impressive for a single show. Especially with all the Directs every other month spoiling us over the course of the year.

Nintendo gave us four MAJOR titles we'd never seen before and loads of others where we got our first proper look at. Zelda, Sonic, Pokemon, Yoshi, Xenoblade. I understand people's disappointment at no Metroid or no Galaxy, but putting that aside, I'm not sure how much more Nintendo could have shown. The ND format also made Iwata rush through each one in about five minutes, mostly because there was plenty to get through.

Also, someone, cant remember who, said about the reason captain falcon hasn't been unveiled is because of a fzero game announcement, I want one so bad I'm buying into this. But who?

That actually makes so much sense.

As for the developer? It's got to be Monster Games? It seems such a natural step to let the developers of Excite Trucks/Bots/Bikes to do an F-Zero game.

That actually makes so much sense.

As for the developer? It's got to be Monster Games? It seems such a natural step to let the developers of Excite Trucks/Bots/Bikes to do an F-Zero game.

It does.

I maintain that there's a reason that F-Zero, Metroid and Advance Wars were the games that lead the charge for the GBA VC, and the second GBA F-Zero is on its way.

Getting them back into public consciousness.

Still can't get my head around how any Nintendo fan was disappointed by the SM3DW E3 trailer. :blank:

I was bouncing off the walls when I first saw that. :bouncy:

Still can't get my head around how any Nintendo fan was disappointed by the SM3DW E3 trailer. :blank:

I was bouncing off the walls when I first saw that. :bouncy:

I wasn't, but that's because I was too busy posting all the Pokémon stuff they threw at me at the start of it :p But when I saw it, I was excited :)

I still want an eShop Captain Toad game. Reveal it in this month's Nintendo Direct, Nintendo...please :(

I still want an eShop Captain Toad game. Reveal it in this month's Nintendo Direct, Nintendo...please :(

Indeed. Seems like such an easy thing to do. Even make it DLC if they want.

Packed with games! E3 isn't all about unexpected releases people have never seen before, and even if it is, the list of those is pretty damn impressive for a single show. Especially with all the Directs every other month spoiling us over the course of the year.

Nintendo gave us four MAJOR titles we'd never seen before and loads of others where we got our first proper look at. Zelda, Sonic, Pokemon, Yoshi, Xenoblade. I understand people's disappointment at no Metroid or no Galaxy, but putting that aside, I'm not sure how much more Nintendo could have shown. The ND format also made Iwata rush through each one in about five minutes, mostly because there was plenty to get through.

Yeah, you've missed the point. :p (or, you've rather conveniently "chosen" to miss it by not quoting the rest of my post)

I think we're past the point now where Nintendo fans are wowed purely by Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong (and, to a lesser extent, Kirby). There's nothing new. You illustrated your points beautifully, if accidentally, as I pointed out how your first post differed from your final line-up roster at E3. They basically showed us a lot of stuff that we already knew existed. Coupled with "new" things that rather looked like the old things, things that we have already explained. There's a partial sense of irony with the Wii U in the sense that even with a new controller and (apparently) "new" style of play, we're still playing the same old games. Again, where's the new stuff?

And I think you've missed my point entirely as well. I'm not saying the actual content was jaw dropping and innovative, I was only arguing with the fallacy that last year's Nintendo E3 line-up wasn't packed, because it most certainly was. You can argue about the quality and originality of the games, but their presentation certainly wasn't lacking content.

My first post talked about all the games they showed off (which was referring to the whole 'Nintendo didn't have much at E3' point I was arguing with), my later post narrowed it down to what they showed off that was BRAND NEW, never seen before (after you pushed me to talk about those) ie. 3D World, MK8, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros etc. I wasn't changing my mind, I was just replying to what you were arguing. Nintendo had plenty last year, both never before seen and big names they'd teased or shown before. If Nintendo had swapped out Donkey Kong for a Metroid game fans would be calling it the greatest E3 ever, and rightly so.

Edited by Ronnie

And I think you've missed my point entirely as well. I'm not saying the actual content was jaw dropping and innovative, I was only arguing with the fallacy that last year's Nintendo E3 line-up wasn't packed, because it most certainly was. You can argue about the quality and originality of the games, but their presentation certainly wasn't lacking content.

My first post talked about all the games they showed off (which was referring to the whole 'Nintendo didn't have much at E3' point I was arguing with), my later post narrowed it down to what they showed off that was BRAND NEW, never seen before (after you pushed me to talk about those) ie. 3D World, MK8, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros etc. I wasn't changing my mind, I was just replying to what you were arguing. Nintendo had plenty last year, both never before seen and big names they'd teased or shown before. If Nintendo had swapped out Donkey Kong for a Metroid game fans would be calling it the greatest E3 ever, and rightly so.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, because I can't honestly look at their offerings during E3 and say that it was packed. It was a decent showing, nothing more. Considering it was meant to be the E3 where Nintendo fully show-case what the first full year of the Wii U would be like, it wasn't anything more than decent.

By some margin, this E3 has to be much better, otherwise they're going to really struggle.

If Nintendo had swapped out Donkey Kong for a Metroid game fans would be calling it the greatest E3 ever, and rightly so.

Sorry but there's just no way that could be true. It's not just quantity but also what's on show. I'm very much feeling the mood in the air that Nintendo isn't 'it' right now. Contrast this to when they were showing off the Wii, which had audiences really going.

In terms of software you wouldn't have been able to get much better I mean.