NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

What's this? I seem to have missed it.

from HOT's thread http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54155

he sumarised the briefing and i'm i suppose parphrasing that,

If we succeed in the redefinition of video game platforms that I speak of today, our account-based connections with consumers will become very clear. For example, until now it has been taken for granted that software is offered to users at the same price regardless of how many titles they purchase in a year, be it one, five or even ten titles. Based on our account system, if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points when they purchase more. Here, we do not need to limit the condition to the number of software titles they purchase. Inviting friends to start playing a particular software title is also an example of a possible condition. If we can achieve such a sales mechanism, we can expect to increase the number of players per title, and the players will play our games with more friends. This can help maintain the high usage ratio of a platform. When one platform maintains a high active use ratio, the software titles which run on it have a higher potential to be noticed by many, which leads to more people playing with more titles. When we see our overall consumers, they generally play two or three titles per year. We aim to establish a new sales mechanism that will be beneficial to both consumers and software creators by encouraging our consumers to play more titles and increasing a platform’s active use ratio without largely increasing our consumers’ expenditures.

Nintendo aims to work on this brand-new sales mechanism in the medium term, but we would like to start experimenting with Wii U at an early stage.

Way more important to a niche market of hardcore gamers. The DS sold 150 million. What did the Gamecube and N64 manage, 30 million each?

which means a larger potential audience who didn't access the games for them.

I do wonder, as a %, how many Wii U owners owned a gc/n64?

I imagine it's fairly high. Although, I would also imagine a high % owned a DS.

I can't say I'm very excited about that announcement, I have a DS and play my DS games on there...

The game pad exclusion pose.... Really, just no. That idea really makes me laugh. As a consumer, strip the gamepad from the Wii U and I no longer want the Wii U. Yes, it is actually the reason I have the console. Why?

Because without the game pad the Wii or a PS360 are a no-brainer.

As a console, the one standout point for the Wii U is it's gamepad.

I really don't see one reason to buy the hardware aside from that.

Nintendo's task (as they rightly pointed out) is to make the case for the gamepad, in single player games, although I would also say also more consistently in all games.

Better to look at, the Gamecube and N64 sold 30 million, the Wii U has sold 3 million... how about we try and attract those other 27 million who enjoyed those consoles :p

If they thought like that, and had tried to make games + consoles more in line with the N64/GameCube, I dare say they'd be in much better shape than they are now.

Way more important to a niche market of hardcore gamers. The DS sold 150 million. What did the Gamecube and N64 manage, 30 million each?

I bet Nintendo wouldn't mind that niche market buying the wii u... But that's not just it though, it's not that simple. 1. DS is still very new, chances are everyone who has a wii u has a DS or 3DS which can play the games.

Those games are still fresh I bet most people don't desire to play them again. I bet we all did have and probably still have N64's and game cubes... but most of us won't have played most of the games on those devices for a long long time. Plus the reputation of both of those consoles is better now than it was at the time. And lastly, N64 and Gamecube games are console games, DS games are portable games you want to play out and about maybe!!! None of it makes sense to me.

I think people want, and also think it would all be more successful for Nintendo to have N64 and Gamecube than DS, which I think is "almost" pointless, other than artificially fleshing out the library.

I bet Nintendo wouldn't mind that niche market buying the wii u... But that's not just it though, it's not that simple. 1. DS is still very new, chances are everyone who has a wii u has a DS or 3DS which can play the games.

Those games are still fresh I bet most people don't desire to play them again. I bet we all did have and probably still have N64's and game cubes... but most of us won't have played most of the games on those devices for a long long time. Plus the reputation of both of those consoles is better now than it was at the time. And lastly, N64 and Gamecube games are console games, DS games are portable games you want to play out and about maybe!!! None of it makes sense to me.

I think people want, and also think it would all be more successful for Nintendo to have N64 and Gamecube than DS, which I think is "almost" pointless, other than artificially fleshing out the library.

The thing is, this year the Nintendo DS is 10 years old. There's not that much illogic to it being on it.

Yeah the DS is pretty old so I'm happy about the VC news. What I am surprised about however is that we still have such a shitty VC!!! ARGH, where are the games? Are Nintendo just pretending that the Gamecube never happened.

Yeah the DS is pretty old so I'm happy about the VC news. What I am surprised about however is that we still have such a shitty VC!!! ARGH, where are the games? Are Nintendo just pretending that the Gamecube never happened.

I see the whole VC announcement as an empty promise. So little chance that there will be a decent selection of games that people want to play and lets not forget that they will likely cost £15-20 each.

I see the whole VC announcement as an empty promise. So little chance that there will be a decent selection of games that people want to play and lets not forget that they will likely cost £15-20 each.

If Nintendo launched a subscription based service (all N64, GC, SNES, NES games) for £5.99 a month, I would pay for that for the next 4-5 years straight. Alternatively, if they just fixed the account system and release all of those games I would spend £100 up front lol.

One thing I do wonder though...how long would people subscribe for? Unlike Netflix, there is no new content being made, as all retro games have been made. Unless they keep stagger releasing games, but then a subscription for access to reduced libraries isn't as enticing.

When we see our overall consumers, they generally play two or three titles per year

This has to be a concern.

So they buy all of the Wii U's releases per year?

Thank you I'll be here all night!

Edited by Ashley

If we get DS games before we get N64 games I'm going to kick some one in the nuts.

Pacman Museum cancelled for Wii U and 3DS.

Namco Bandai announced Pac-Man Museum for a number of platforms last year including Wii U and 3DS. Today, the publisher finally shared a release date for the game’s PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC versions, but a mention of Nintendo systems was conspicuously absent.

We followed up with Namco Bandai and were told that, unfortunately, both eShop releases have been cancelled. Pac-Man Museum will no longer be available on Wii U and 3DS “as a result of delayed development,” a representative said.

If you’re still interested in Pac-Man Museum, you can pick up the title via PlayStation Network on February 25 and through Xbox Live Arcade/Steam on February 26.

From NintendoEverything.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Jeez, another blow. Why on earth would this have happened, though?? Wish we could get more info on these things sometimes.

I don't understand this? If the 3DS is able to run full 3DS titles (for example bravely default is over 3Gb!) from the SD card, it should be able to run DS titles from the SD card as well?

I'm glad with the release of DS games for WiiU though, will be a chance to pick up some gems that I missed! Now they need to hurry up and finally release long overdue gamecube, N64 and GBA games, it's a joke!

Right,

Here's the kicker,

The First DS game available for Download

is

Super_Mario_64_DS_Coverart.png

From NintendoEverything.

wii u can understand but no 3ds version is strange.

The cancellations keep coming.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=221453

Thanks so much for your support of Batman: Arkham Origins on Wii U.

We are contacting you today because you purchased the Batman: Arkham Origins Season Pass for Wii U. We hope you’ve been enjoying the content that has been delivered thus far. Based on demand for Downloadable Content on the system, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has made the decision to remove its offering of the upcoming new story campaign for Wii U. As a result, we will be crediting the entire $19.99+tax cost of the Season Pass back to your Nintendo eShop account. You will still be able to enjoy the content already released thus far.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your support of the game.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Edited by liger05

Right,

Here's the kicker,

The First DS game available for Download

is

Super_Mario_64_DS_Coverart.png

Gimme a HD remake instead pleeeeeeease!

One thing I do wonder though...how long would people subscribe for? Unlike Netflix, there is no new content being made, as all retro games have been made. Unless they keep stagger releasing games, but then a subscription for access to reduced libraries isn't as enticing.

I really don't think staggering releases is less enticing presuming there's a big enough library to start us off. If they ever did it, which I can't see, I think that's exactly how they'd do it. It's not like you can all films, tv shows on any film streaming service.

A huge batch of games across the range of platforms and then a huge batch every month would be perfect.

So my Arkham Origins season pass was worthless?! fuck you Warner fuck you

Oh yeah I wouldnt be surprised if those in Europe get no refund.

I think it speaks volumes when third parties are not even prepared to milk customers for DLC.

This console is done.

So my Arkham Origins season pass was worthless?! fuck you Warner fuck you

Season passes are a terrible idea anyway. Even if you love the game, the DLC can be hugely disappointing (like Bioshock Infinite).

I've only ever bought two season passes, 1 was bio shock infinite.....and the DLC was good just not worth the mega wait, the other was Arkham Origins, i thought showing Warner people were paying up front might secure my DLC...now i need to sell the game and rebuy it on another console....

Screw it i'll wait for it in a steam sale! and my desire to finish the game has dropped right off! i was collecting all the enigma data before going past the point of no return...waste of time almost now

I'm never buying another season pass again