NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Not sure Iwata and others salary is the problem and dont see how paycuts deal with the issue on whether the right man is leading the company?

They never said it was the problem nor that it deals with the issue. It's a gesture to show that they are resolved to turning the situation around, with the plans still to come.

Why people, especially on GAF, are treating this as if the price cut is their entire plan I have no idea

They never said it was the problem nor that it deals with the issue. It's a gesture to show that they are resolved to turning the situation around, with the plans still to come.

Why people, especially on GAF, are treating this as if the price cut is their entire plan I have no idea

Maybe because we have been down this road before with taking a salary cut yet less than 3 years later the CEO is doing it again.

However of course the guy deserves some credit in the sense not many CEO's would do the same.

"One way or another come hell or high water the Bullet Bills will be dropped..."

0BODPep.png

By the way that image isn't mine.

SURELy they are getting rid of the gamepad. Donkey Kong displays a BLANK SCREEN during play, Mario Kart isn't using it. NES Remix update today, allows you to play to play with pro controller, wiimote, classic etc. The beginning of patching out gamepad use in games? Bar VERY FEW games, they can all be patched. Big effort, but they're in big trouble.

It's the only explanation for them not doing ANYTHING for it. So if they keep it it's ridiculous they're not using it. They're bot awful decisions. But getting rid, selling it separately and having a £150 wii u could be a way to get huge numbers.

I love the gamepad. I love nintendoland, zombi u, off tv play etc etc etc But I wouldn't be bothered, and actually think it's a good idea now, if they got rid, but ONLY because they're not using it anyway. And I already have one :)

SURELy they are getting rid of the gamepad. Donkey Kong displays a BLANK SCREEN during play, Mario Kart isn't using it. NES Remix update today, allows you to play to play with pro controller, wiimote, classic etc. The beginning of patching out gamepad use in games? Bar VERY FEW games, they can all be patched. Big effort, but they're in big trouble.

You forgot about the horn. Dat next gen gameplay. :D

You forgot about the horn. Dat next gen gameplay. :D

Oh yeah. Scrap everything I just said... Really hope they patch in Donkey Kongs CALL into Tropical Freeze in the same way.

Though in all seriousness, if they did get rid of the Gamepad, what would that do to miiverse? I guess the usual video game way of typing messages and then the people who have gamepads can be a little more creative...

Not sure Iwata and others salary is the problem and dont see how paycuts deal with the issue on whether the right man is leading the company?

It's Iwata simply taking responsibility, recognising the fact that his senior team have dropped some right clangers. To think it helps with profits is silly.

Yeah, it's obviously more of a statement. A good one too. The big fear is loads of press is being put on tomorrows meeting... I just can't see anything big happening...

If Nintendo did the following what would people think?

- drop the gamepad and rematch all games. Console sells for £150 and $200

- all nintendo games on the virtual console by the summer and a VC sub service for £5 $7

- Their franchises being given out almost wily nily to 3rd parties and Nintendo make NEW games

- a unified account system with cross play

- an open eshop so anyone can put stuff on there. With slight moderation (think more apple than googleplay)

- 3DS games £19.99 $24.99, Wii U games £29.99 $34.99 new pricing standard

Yeah, it's obviously more of a statement. A good one too. The big fear is loads of press is being put on tomorrows meeting... I just can't see anything big happening...

- all nintendo games on the virtual console by the summer and a VC sub service for £5 $7

- Their franchises being given out almost wily nily to 3rd parties and Nintendo make NEW games

- an open eshop so anyone can put stuff on there. With slight moderation (think more apple than googleplay)

I'd be alright with all of it except them giving their franchises to third parties crazily. No...just...no.

That said, the lower prices...that'd severely damage their bottom line. They should also not drop the GamePad. Shift it to optional? Sure. Drop it? Hell no. Make it so the Wii U IS better with the GamePad. Will encourage purchases.

Edited by Serebii

I'd be alright with all of it except them giving their franchises to third parties crazily. No...just...no.

That said, the lower prices...that'd severely damage their bottom line. They should also not drop the GamePad. Shift it to optional? Sure. Drop it? Hell no. Make it so the Wii U IS better with the GamePad. Will encourage purchases.

Well duh. They can't bin it forever or else no new buyers could buy Zombi U/Nintendo Land.

Yeah I meant optional, which bar very few games it already is!

I'm not saying I agree, just drastic things they could do turn it around from a business perspective.

I think the 3rd parties with their franchises isn't too bad though out of all of them. Builds relationships, gets the games out there we all want, lets Nintendo create some new ip and try new things.

Yeah I meant optional, which bar very few games it already is!

I'm not saying I agree, just drastic things they could do turn it around from a business perspective.

I think the 3rd parties with their franchises isn't too bad though out of all of them. Builds relationships, gets the games out there we all want, lets Nintendo create some new ip and try new things.

It also risks damaging the brand. Look at Metroid Other M. Shipped out to a third party, just didn't sit right and didn't do well.

It also risks damaging the brand. Look at Metroid Other M. Shipped out to a third party, just didn't sit right and didn't do well.

True, but then some of Nintendos attempts damage the brand (links crossbow training for example). And you can't base the decision on one example. Mario and Sonic Olympics didn't damage the brand, F Zero GX didn't, you can argue that Camelot being given the sports games is handing it out etc And if they have the control like they do over Retro and Next Level then i think it could be a great thing

True, but then some of Nintendos attempts damage the brand (links crossbow training for example). And you can't base the decision on one example. Mario and Sonic Olympics didn't damage the brand, F Zero GX didn't, you can argue that Camelot being given the sports games is handing it out etc And if they have the control like they do over Retro and Next Level then i think it could be a great thing

Yeah, but that furthers my point. It'd have to be controlled and calculated, not just wily nily as you suggested.

Ah okay, I meant just had a more frequent level, not "do as you please" :) I meant in scale of dishing them out.

For the sake of legacy, I think it'd be a very healthy thing if all games from now on could use a traditional controller and not need the GamePad at all. I can cope with Nintendoland and Zombie U forever needing a GamePad to play them, but not the next Zelda. What if it's a classic and the only way to play it is on a Wii U? Sure, put an optional map on it or something, but I know I'd be happier sitting down to it with a traditional pad.

For the sake of legacy, I think it'd be a very healthy thing if all games from now on could use a traditional controller and not need the GamePad at all. I can cope with Nintendoland and Zombie U forever needing a GamePad to play them, but not the next Zelda. What if it's a classic and the only way to play it is on a Wii U? Sure, put an optional map on it or something, but I know I'd be happier sitting down to it with a traditional pad.

Wii motion plus controls for the new Zelda would be great but at the same time I'd like some of the puzzles to be integrated with the touch screen on the gamepad. I'd like to have both but it'll have to be one or the other.

Gamepad usage in Wind Waker was great though.

Hmm. Thought we would have heard if there was a Direct tomorrow by now...

As I'm sure I've seen mentioned by someone else somewhere; the actual practicality of dropping the gamepad is pretty non-existent considering they've most likely got a shitton of stock sitting on shelves somewhere, gamepad already existing. The WiiU has been a number of mistakes, unfortunately ones that don't appear to be rectified easily.

As for this whole paycut...50% for 6 months? What does he earn as it is? I'd imagine he's still getting a nice chunk in his pocket...(though I understand it's the gesture more than anything).

Have to drop the pad. Will be amazed if this isnt revealed tomorrow.

Like the VC idea.

Wouldnt put out franchises wily nily. Thats too risky.

A unified account wont happen.

Not sure about an openeshop. The eshop at the best times isnt the easiest thing to navigate through and find what you want. If it just got filled up with stuff it would be a nightmare.

3DS games have to be reduced. Not sure Wii U games do as I dont think the low software sales of wii u software has anything to do with the price of the games.

Wii motion plus controls for the new Zelda would be great but at the same time I'd like some of the puzzles to be integrated with the touch screen on the gamepad. I'd like to have both but it'll have to be one or the other.

I'm pretty sure the new Zelda will allow for motion controls regardless.

I think one of the biggest mistakes Nintendo made with Wii U was seemingly dropping motion controls. All they needed to do for a lot of games this gen was simply add HD graphics and update the controls to motion plus and a lot of people would have been more than happy. I think they missed a trick with Wii Sports Club by not making it look at least on a par with Grand Slam Tennis. Yes the controls are much tighter, but to Joe Public it just looks like the original.

Oh yeah. Scrap everything I just said... Really hope they patch in Donkey Kongs CALL into Tropical Freeze in the same way.

Though in all seriousness, if they did get rid of the Gamepad, what would that do to miiverse? I guess the usual video game way of typing messages and then the people who have gamepads can be a little more creative...

Nintendo could release a companion app for phones and tablets that allowed you to post on Miiverse. You can already use the Playstation companion app as a keyboard to type messages on screen, this wouldn't have to be much different.

Nintendo could release a companion app for phones and tablets that allowed you to post on Miiverse. You can already use the Playstation companion app as a keyboard to type messages on screen, this wouldn't have to be much different.

I was going to suggest that, just didn't know if it was even possible retrospectively... Bluetooth I presume. I think it's a good idea (didm' know you could do that on sony app either, which will help with messaging)... so there's pretty much no reason to get rid of the gamepad if they continue to ignore it in their games.

With a tablet/phone you can keep basic drawing too I guess.

When actually is the investor meeting UK/EU time?

My prediction is that nothing will change. Mostly because the promised that it would.