NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Just figured they wouldn't due to the attention being split.

That doesn't really matter since they're intended for different audiences.

The investors meeting is for their investors and the Nintendo Direct is for their consumers and the media. Hell if anything they probably would rather the media didn't comment on their investor briefings since they're notorious for taking snippets from them and purposely putting negative spin on them without providing a link to the original source (so much so that Nintendo started putting up disclaimers on their IR page asking for quotes to be properly refrenced :laughing: - It's also something that Iwata keeps mentioning from time to time about how he keeps getting misquoted :p )

That doesn't really matter since they're intended for different audiences.

The investors meeting is for their investors and the Nintendo Direct is for their consumers and the media. Hell if anything they probably would rather the media didn't comment on their investor briefings since they're notorious for taking snippets from them and purposely putting negative spin on them without providing a link to the original source (so much so that Nintendo started putting up disclaimers on their IR page asking for quotes to be properly refrenced :laughing: - It's also something that Iwata keeps mentioning from time to time about how he keeps getting misquoted :p )

I know that but the people who are interested in the ND will also be talking about the sales figures and future plans. Unless the investor meeting is that bad that they shove out a ND to keep the heat off. :D

sorry guys I'm being a bit lazy, had a quick 5 min search but could not find thread. I need a HD for my Wii U , do i need one with it's own power supply, any suggestions?

sorry guys I'm being a bit lazy, had a quick 5 min search but could not find thread. I need a HD for my Wii U , do i need one with it's own power supply, any suggestions?

Unless you go for a Y cable, then yes it needs external power

Unless you go for a Y cable, then yes it needs external power

is there any performance differences between y cable and external power?

I might be mistaken, but I'm sure someone had one that didn't work even with a Y cable - so that might be a potential issue(though I'm not sure if I've made this up or not). Tbh I'd recommend an external just to be on the safe side, but then I totally don't have a HDD for my Wii U anyhow so I'm not the best to talk!

I love the analogy they use.
Not sure the situation is quite that bad for Nintendo just yet. :heh:

They really do need to make a choice one way or the other though, and then really focus on getting stuff sorted.

Personally I don't think they should drop the GamePad.

Both work fine with the Wii U, but self powered ones tend to be more reliable and have longer lifespans in general.

I'd recommend a self powered one if possible.

I don't really see that working anymore, since they would have to release patches for all the previous games and their retail SKUs don't have any kind of indicator that the game would require the gamepad, making people buy games and the notice that they are lacking an expensive accessory.

It should have been optional from the start. Wii U bundled with a regular Wii Remote Plus and nunchuck, and with Wii Sports 2. Offer optional Gamepad Controller for $99 for additional features in games (comes with Nintendo Land). But it didn't so here we are. I think that Donkey Kong showing a black screen during gameplay on the gamepad is a travesty, it's like Nintendo saying openly "even we don't know how to utilize this thing" :(

Remember, they can't drop the gamepad at the moment because they have a years worth of inventory sitting in their warehouses....

The next Direct should just feature Iwata literally dropping a GamePad and then doing troll face.

Yes, I tried using one with a Y cable and it was very unreliable.

Ever since I bought this hard drive which is a mains powered one...

http://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-2tb-desktop-hd/525-2138.prd

...I've had no problems. : peace:

That's a hell of a lot of money. 2TBs seems excessive as well and doesn't the hard drive have to exclusively used for the Wii U. It doesn't let you segregate sections, right? I don't download much if possible, I prefer retail. Only when it's unavoidable with games like Trine 2, Little Inferno and VC games are fairly small. But this just seems like hassle, another bloody plug and it adds to the cost of the Wii U. I'm going to avoid this for as long as possible.

The Wii was so much easier. I bought a 2GB SD card at the start and while I used it a couple of times I never really needed it. It was just to transfer and backup save files.

That's a hell of a lot of money. 2TBs seems excessive as well and doesn't the hard drive have to exclusively used for the Wii U. It doesn't let you segregate sections, right? I don't download much if possible, I prefer retail..

Well I suppose I did actually end up getting mine for around £58 as opposed to £80 so it didn't seem that bad at the time, plus I figured that I would need the space eventually being that I'm reviewing all the VC games that come out plus the odd retail game too which tend to be mostly download only now, gone are the days of receiving fully boxed games sadly. :sad:

But I have no doubt in my mind that I would have certainly needed to buy a hard drive at some point anyway as the 32GB certainly won't last; it was a worthwhile investment. :)

thanks for the advice on the HD. I too dislike download games bit took advantage of the eshop bulls up a few weeks back, although still have not received my code for Pikmin 3! Think I will will just delete all my demos for now to make space.

As for Nintendo dropping the gamepad... surely this is not actually an option.

People keep saying that the reason Wii U has not sold is because the average Joe thinks the gamepad is just an add on for the Wii, if you take it away the same people will think the Wii U is just a Wii. The gamepad is the best feature of the Wii U and let's get real, nobody is not buying a Wii U because it has a gamepad. They might as well just bite the bullet and drop the price to sub £200 and get it into homes and get the money back on games.

Iwata is taking another 50% paycut, two more (Takeda & Miyamoto) on the board are taking a 30% paycut and the rest a 20% paycut, according to Nikkei

Iwata is taking another 50% paycut, two more (Takeda & Miyamoto) on the board are taking a 30% paycut and the rest a 20% paycut, according to Nikkei

You know, people may not like the direction he has taken Nintendo in but you have to admire him and the others taking a paycut to help the company out and accepting responsibility for the mess they are in.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

You know, people may not like the direction he has taken Nintendo in but you have to admire him and the others taking a paycut to help the company out and accepting responsibility for the mess they are in.

Indeed. In the west, the CEO would give himself a bonus, lay off a load of staff, and then possibly leave.

Indeed. In the west, the CEO would give himself a bonus, lay off a load of staff, and then possibly leave.

I could name you a host of companies in the west where the CEO has taken a paycut after announcing a huge loss :)

I could name you a host of companies in the west where the CEO has taken a paycut after announcing a huge loss :)

I'm not saying it's only Nintendo who does this :p

So if there was a Nintendo Direct happening this week we would've heard about it by now, right? Or have they ever announced one on the same day? :blank:

So if there was a Nintendo Direct happening this week we would've heard about it by now, right? Or have they ever announced one on the same day? :blank:

Well the ND will be prerecorded (if we even get one). Announcement will go up tomorrow (or Thursday if the ND will be Friday). I don't see why the investor meeting and ND can't be on the same day.

:p

Since there was no new eShop/VC titles in the PR this week for 3DS or Wii U this week it looks pretty suspicious.

Or Nintendo are announcing they're quitting. ;)

Should hear about it later today if there is one tomorrow.

Not sure Iwata and others salary is the problem and dont see how paycuts deal with the issue on whether the right man is leading the company?