NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

By that logic, they shouldn't have bothered to make the first Playstation.

How does that follow?

I am saying that as Sony has never led the handheld market, the Vita not doing well doesn't really surprise/make them look as bad as it could. Sony have never been top dog here. Vita also followed on from the PSP in a similar way - high spec, more expensive, and almost a home console portable. This is what the PSP was like vs the DS, and we know which sold better.

Nintendo have a long history in home consoles and had a massive hit with the Wii. They previously previously dominated the home console market, producing some of the most successful home consoles ever. So the Wii U is a much bigger fall from grace for them.

I'm not saying Sony shouldn't aim to be top at whatever they do (they should), but do they actually think they will topple a company from the podium in a department that they have dominated for decades? Sure they did it with the PS1/PS2, but they made the Vita with a similar mindset to the PSP (high spec, home console like, etc). And the PSP never won, so...

Also bear in mind that they also know they've lost Monster Hunter, one of their major draws, and Nintendo have been getting Dragon Quest games. Seriously, knowing all this, you think Sony actually believed the Vita would topple the 3DS? Obviously they hoped the Vita would do better than it has done, but how could they expect it to dominate when they know the 3DS has such ri-donculous software?

Edited by Sheikah

But the Wii is a statistical anomaly. Nintendo haven't dominated the home console market since the SNES (and even if you don't discount the Wii as a statistical anomaly, it certainly didn't dominate; the Wii/360/PS3 split was a 5:4:4 ratio).

Sony, on the other hand, may never have been top when it came to handhelds but the difference between 70 million PSPs sold and the three or so units the Vita have sold are dire. At the very least Sony most certainly hoped to sell more Vitas than PSPs.

But the Wii is a statistical anomaly. Nintendo haven't dominated the home console market since the SNES (and even if you don't discount the Wii as a statistical anomaly, it certainly didn't dominate; the Wii/360/PS3 split was a 5:4:4 ratio).

Sony, on the other hand, may never have been top when it came to handhelds but the difference between 70 million PSPs sold and the three or so units the Vita have sold are dire. At the very least Sony most certainly hoped to sell more Vitas than PSPs.

Statistical anomaly or nay, it's still a bigger contrast, which is what I was getting at before. Wii vs Wii U success relative to PSP vs Vita, which is why the comparison being made always feels a bit stretched. I know that the PSP has some successful stats associated with it (I think a lot of this was due to Japan), but it's never really felt successful. It never seemed to have a huge presence over here, with most awesome titles of that gen going to home console.

I would agree that if you put the Wii aside, Nintendo's decline has been a gradual thing. They really need to shake things up.

I think they thought if they could fix everything that was wrong with the PSP they'd be golden. They did and they're not.

How does that follow?

I am saying that as Sony has never led the handheld market, the Vita not doing well doesn't really surprise/make them look as bad as it could. Sony have never been top dog here. Vita also followed on from the PSP in a similar way - high spec, more expensive, and almost a home console portable. This is what the PSP was like vs the DS, and we know which sold better.

Nintendo have a long history in home consoles and had a massive hit with the Wii. They previously previously dominated the home console market, producing some of the most successful home consoles ever. So the Wii U is a much bigger fall from grace for them.

I'm not saying Sony shouldn't aim to be top at whatever they do (they should), but do they actually think they will topple a company from the podium in a department that they have dominated for decades? Sure they did it with the PS1/PS2, but they made the Vita with a similar mindset to the PSP (high spec, home console like, etc). And the PSP never won, so...

Also bear in mind that they also know they've lost Monster Hunter, one of their major draws, and Nintendo have been getting Dragon Quest games. Seriously, knowing all this, you think Sony actually believed the Vita would topple the 3DS? Obviously they hoped the Vita would do better than it has done, but how could they expect it to dominate when they know the 3DS has such ri-donculous software?

Not about dominating. Sony were no doubt expecting the Vita to be a serious player. They launched at $250 for a reason and they would be shocked at its sales. I never thought it would outsell the 3DS but thought it would of sold more. Nobody would of predicted it to sell as low it has done.

As with the wii u nobody in there right mind would of thought it could get anywhere near the wii numbers but I would of thought 40 - 60 mil over its lifetime. It will be lucky to hit 20 mil.

Has anyone here ever lost the wii u stylus. ? I have sadly lost mine , is there any way of buying official replacements ?

Was looking at the top 10 best selling Wii games earlier. 6 of the 10 have had sequels or HD remakes released with 2 to follow this year.

1. Wii Sports 81.99 million HD remake - Wii Sports Club - 3 of the 5 sports released

2. Mario Kart Wii 34.26 million Mario Kart 8 Spring 2014 release

3. Wii Sports Resort 31.89 million

4. Wii Play 28.02 million

5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii 27.88 million New Super Mario Bros Wii U released at launch

6. Wii Fit 22.67 million Wii Fit U released

7. Wii Fit Plus 20.86 million as above

8. Super Mario Galaxy 11.72 million Super Mario 3D World released

9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl 11.49 million Super Smash Bros 4 2014 release

10. Wii Party 7.94 million Wii Party U released

We'll definitely see another 3D mario and a proper successor to Wii Sports, but for the rest, that'll be it.

Maybe Wii Play U bundled in with the gamepad if it is ever sold separately.

Edited by lostmario

@yesteryeargames I think a 3DS XL stylus would fit in your GamePad pretty fine! So you should hunt down some of those.

On the top 10 selling Wii games - That shows more than anything just how much Nintendo need to mix things up. They've released new versions of some of the best selling, almost guaranteed success stories on Wii for the Wii U, and none have really had much of an impact at all.

Can you really count Wii Sports when it came free with every single console?

Can you really count Wii Sports when it came free with every single console?

Do you count Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World for the NES/SNES?

Wii Sports wasn't packaged in Japan. It also wasn't packaged with EVERY console in the west.

I wouldn't count Wii Sports, I didn't buy a Wii for that game and I certainly didn't buy the Wii U for NintendoLand. I wanted the ZombiU bundle but it was sold out everywhere. Wii Play is truly awful. How many copies would that have sold if it wasn't packed with a Wii remote? It's artificial numbers bloating.

I wouldn't count Wii Sports, I didn't buy a Wii for that game and I certainly didn't buy the Wii U for NintendoLand. I wanted the ZombiU bundle but it was sold out everywhere. Wii Play is truly awful. How many copies would that have sold if it wasn't packed with a Wii remote? It's artificial numbers bloating.

In defence of Wii Play, it was an ok pick up and play thing, if you had a bit of friendly rivalry going on. There was a pool game on there right? I seem to remember my house mate enjoying that, and the tank game in co-op.

Anybody care to make their predictions for next weeks Nintendo Direct? I'll start:

1. There'll be a Nintendo Direct

2. New game announcements

3. Palutena confirmed as a playable Smash character

4. Major expansion of VC

5. TVii will finally get a roll out

6. More footage of Smash, Kart, DKCR:TF, Bayonetta2 and X

7. Price reduction for Wii U

8. Reveal of Wii U Sports Baseball and Boxing

9. More playable demos on eShop

10. New bundle announcements

2014 is Nintendo's 125th Anniversary. How will they mark it? Playing cards?

Also last year was Year Of Luigi, which was a cheap and lazy marketing ploy for the most part. Not on 3DS but on Wii U. Anyway, what will this year be? DK is 30 this year.

Also last year was Year Of Luigi, which was a cheap and lazy marketing ploy for the most part. Not on 3DS but on Wii U. Anyway, what will this year be? DK is 30 this year.

Year of Cranky Kong it is...

The year of "Please Understand" more like. :p

Edited by Sheikah

A year of reflection will do me. Time for for some home truths and a year of rebuilding.

Wii U is trending for no reason on Twitter again. Searching through, it's mostly positive stuff, though there are a lot of "it's dead" tweets

Indie developers Two Tribes and Zoink Games have hinted at some kind of announcements this week. A ND could indeed be on the cards.

Indie developers Two Tribes and Zoink Games have hinted at some kind of announcements this week. A ND could indeed be on the cards.

Or a sale...we'll see in half an hour :p